Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

What happened to the 2011 Money in the Bank thread? I can't find it in the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Sir Jebus posted:

Archive threads are listed by time of last post, and the 2011 MitB thread was bumped a few months after. Not sure exactly when though.

Found it in October, thanks!

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Ultimate Warrior threatened to sabotage the private plane of someone named Ho Kogan and force him to murder his own pilots; did he ever execute his bizarre plan?

Warrior raped Santa.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Onmi posted:

Cornette is also... not as good as he used to be booker wise. I mean when he did the guest booking of the inVasion angle I legitimatly thought he had gone full Vince Russo, and complaining that younger talent never gets over and then bringing in the headbangers... I like Corny, I really do but I think he's lost a lot of what he had.

His roadmap which ended with the WWF vs WCW main event at WMX7 being Stone Cold vs Mick Foley was just the dumbest loving thing. And I love me some Mick Foley.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

emjayo posted:

The injury that put Edge out of the business: is it the sort of thing he has to watch out for in every day life? Say, if he slips on an icy pavement or something. Or does the risk of paralysis come mostly from the impact he would sustain from a wrestling bump?

Curious how close he is from one awkward fall putting him in a wheelchair.

His injury is scheduled for one fall.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought it was really cool how they had a thing for like a month of Matt Hardy trying to cut to 220 so he could be in the Cruiserweight division in like 2005 or whatever.

Or Commissioner Foley making Christian work off a few extra pounds by wearing Kurt Angle's chicken suit :allears:

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Time to have Cena win the title and hold it for 435 days.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

The Wyatts / Shield match on Sunday feels really unique because it's a heel/heel team feud. It's arguably the hottest match on the Elimination Chamber card, and I can't really think of another example that has worked this well. What are some other notable heel/heel team feuds?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I just assume all wrestlers are on steroids all the time. It's easier that way.

I loved when CM Punk was on the Nerdist podcast and Chris Hardwick admitted he didn't know much about wrestling, and only used to watch Memphis stuff back in the 70s. Hardwick implied that Punk had the body of a Greek god and his reaction was priceless, clearly the dude had never seen a single wrestler from the modern Age of Roids.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What I want to know is how they actually got to officially calling it "The Kliq" and spelling it that way. That's like something my friends and I would do...when we were in first grade.

Congrats, you've figured out the entire Kliq mentality. Only you and your friends (probably) didn't make millions off of that poo poo.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

oatgan posted:

All of that poo poo was only the problem it became because Vince Russo is a bad writer and had no idea where it was going when he started it

The Undertaker's Hower Power is no match for oatgan's glower power!

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

When someone else's music hits after a match, that means the person/persons with that music are the real and/or new winners of the match.

The sound monkeys are the biggest tweeners.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Has it ever been addressed, in kayfabe, why 'undesirable' wrestlers continue to receive new merch? I mean, Austin had a new shirt every few weeks, despite constantly being on McMahon's shitlost. And Bryan has roughly 50 shirts at the moment, despite being HHH's least favourite person ever.

Would have thought it would be one of those things they'd give a nod and a wink to.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

Cena, I would compare to Hogan when he was winding down with his initial WWF run. Think back about how badly people wanted something different at the end of the 6 years of Hogan. Now picture Hogan never going to WCW, and never turning heel. Picture it being 1996, and Hogan is still leg dropping the monster of the week. Just the same old poo poo. The crowds overwhelmingly boo him, far worse than they ever did Hogan, yet the kids watching at home still tune in and buy his merch. In his defense, I don't think he deserves as much hate as he gets. He's kept away from the title picture. He's open to doing clean jobs. But he was just booked like Hogan for so long, in a period where the WWE was pretending the attitude era never happened, and disregarding their large 18-35 male demographic.

There's also the fact that it's not unreasonable to assume Cena has plenty of sway with WWE brass, given how valuable he is to them. There's a perception that he could easily speak up and change the lovely way that he's booked. He's not the one planning the match in which he supermans all over the place and makes his opponent look like a chump, but he undoubtedly has the power to change it if he finds it objectionable. But Cena doesn't. He's a good company man. And so we have a long trail of pushes derailed by short-sighted booking and the Rapadoo express.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

toanoradian posted:

Man, those matches sound interesting. Where should I start with Jesus?

He had a hell of a Tables match vs The Moneylenders. One of the few times he really sold the intensity of the storyline.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Discount Trombones posted:

Titan Towers, probably.

"This guy is doing a great job of promoting our brand, but we just can't get behind a shirt mark."

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Aurain posted:

This variant Piledriver used by Mankind looks dangerous as all hell, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's the safest one of all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftGA4UJlNyQ

I always liked Mick's modified versions of basic moves, like this, his double-arm DDT and his apron elbow. They looked kinda sketchy and dangerous, while actually being quite safe (for the person taking the move at least). They gave the impression that this guy wasn't 'a trained wrestler' and was a madman who wanted to cause some serious damage. They were good examples of someone's moveset informing the character perfectly.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

Yeah, NXT is a lot closer in concept to WWECW than Main Event is with the different roster focusing on young untestablished talent. I just don't see it being easy to create interest in a third main roster show when people already get 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown.

I watched Takeover and Payback this week and already feel like I watched way too much loving wrestling. I have no idea how people have managed to do that plus Raw, Smackdown and Main Event.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

a wikipedia joke

[citation needed]

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Purple Monkey posted:

Why on Botchamania for the Everyone Talks Too Much bit does he use a clip that doesn't feature any talking?

Edit: For clarification I'm referring to Taker - HBK clip that's used as intro for it

It's all part of Kane's plan.

Or, it's because Taker grabs HBK by the throat which would stop him talking ok thanks bye.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Miz's retarded dinosaur

Foley's just found the title of his next children's book.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Jimmy Carter? Who'd he ever beat?

He's history's greatest monster heel!

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Static Rook posted:

Here's something I've always wondered: The nwo hand sign/ high five thing is supposed to look like they're passing a joint right?

I know once the Wolfpac started it was supposed to be a wolf head or something, but my -at the time- stoner friends and I would pass joints like that so we were all "dude, that totally means they smoke up!"

I always thought they were making their hands kiss :3:

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Roman Reigns is super dreamy and a cool guy and also my friend

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Crippling Droz didn't help. I know it wasn't his fault, but he didn't recursive much if a push after.

There was an episode of Heat or Superstars from 1999 where, I swear, D'Lo got at least an 8.5 on the Austin God-pop scale. He was crazy over on this one night, for seemingly no reason. And then he crippled Droz.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Vince Russo's writing literally killed TNA.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Listening to Jericho's Goldust / Stardust podcast has me wondering - when did WWE first acknowledge that Goldust was Dusty Rhodes' son?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Memento posted:

Sorry to break up Cena/Lesnar chat, but if someone has a link to the gameday thread from the Pipe Bomb promo that'd be real neato if they could drop it on me.

Starts here with everyone freaking out about the Austin shirt.

Shine posted:

I read the end of the GDT where Punk returned with the belt to Cult of Personality and you could just feel the happiness. :allears:

For the hell of it, have a link to this thread too.

birdlaw fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 14, 2014

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

There were talks in '98 or so, but quite a few people in WWF (one of whom was HHH) were rather vocal about not wanting him there due to his age.

But isn't HHH a huge Flair mark? I mean: Evolution. That seems really weird.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

What would be the logical top candidates for Randy Orton's best match?

He's a talented guy who's hung around the upper card of WWE for years, but I'm having difficulty thinking of any truly great MOTY caliber matches he's had. I admittedly missed most of his career from mid 2006 - early 2010 though, so I might be missing something.

His hardcore match against Foley at Backlash 2004 was a thing of ugly beauty. So there's an early one right there.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

If Gangrel debuted today and people bounced to his theme like they did that one time I'd bet money that the Gangrel Bounce would be a thing pushed so hard by WWE the next few weeks.

They're Gangrelling in the aisles, Maggle! I love it!

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Some WWE docs actually do reveal that match results are fixed; they have mentioned plans to "put the title on" someone before, or "drop the belt to" someone.

Yeah, like when the Punk documentary talked about how the WHC was taken away from him just because they needed it for the Jericho/HBK feud.

Oddly enough, Punk being so devastated in the doc probably helped put the belt over as a bigger deal than the storyline was managing at the time.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

The story is also told that Orton was to be the next big thing up until his botched WHC run. He was supposed to get the HHH feud into Mania 21 but Batista got the spot instead.

This is a crosspost from the Podcast thread, but I recently watched the Batista doc on the Network, and they seemed to be pretty dismissive of Orton during the entire thing. Was he on the outs for some reason when they made it, or was it just a case of reducing his status because of Randy and Dave's similar career paths?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I was listening to the Mick Foley interview on Steve Austin's podcast. THey get around to talking about Marc Mero and...Marc Mero was the first guy to get a guaranteed contract in the WWE?

Was Mero considered the next big thing or something?

Vince thought Johnny B. Badd was going to be the next big thing.

Unfortunately, he got Marc Mero.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Belonging to the SomethingAwful smart community, thus, exerts its own pressures on the individual smart. There, the smart must perform ‘audiencehood, knowing that other fans will act as a readership for speculation, observation, and commentaries’ (Hills 177).

pre:
HulkaMatt. “Wrestlehut 2000 Rules and FAQ - Last Update: 2/13/2009 - FRANK MIR FEARS BROCK LESNAR.” SomethingAwful 5 Aug. 2008. 5 Mar. 2009 < http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2922167 >.

HulkaMatt. “WWE Discussion is the RICKY STEAMBOAT OWN ZONE for 02/23/09.” SomethingAwful 24 Feb. 2009. 5 Mar. 2009 < http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085277 >.

Jerusalem. “WWE RAW is IN SOVIET RUSSIA, HEART BREAKS YOU for 3/2/09.” SomethingAwful 3 Mar. 2009. 5 Mar. 2009 < http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3089910&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6 >.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

You'd probably be a douche too if you were condemned to wake up every day and be Billy Gunn.

As Billy Gunn awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic rear end man.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

"WHY ME? WHHHHHY MEEEEE?" Is my absolute favourite bit of bad acting from a wrestler ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihczF88YjYs&t=830s

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, they're really doing very cartoony characters on NXT which really don't translate to the WWE main roster very well. Some can be tweaked a bit, but I don't really think Simon Gotch will ever get over as anything other than comedy jobber. Aiden English *might* but I'm not really convinced.

Cartoony gimmicks are fine when they have the angles, matches and mic time required to get them over. It only becomes a problem when a gimmick is the only thing they have going. See: Adam Rose.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

WCW was always willing to eat the non-compete clauses because they had so much money and just wanted to make the impact.

Which is ironic, as for the past decade Impact has been spending so much money to make WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Whether or not this is true depends on how much you're willing to believe Kevin Nash when he says something.

Look at the adjective: believe.