Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Taker, duh. Though he won't be inducted till the eve of his retirement. And the day after he gets inducted, he'll lose the streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

He really wasn't talented enough to carry the company as WWF champ but between his size and popularity in Europe they could give him the European title and book him in the midcard forever with matches against main event heel. There were never plans to make him WWF champ, but he did hold the Intercontinental championship and the Euro title was his until HBK took it to piss off Bret Hart. Bulldog was a good, not great, worker in the 80s when he was tagging with Dynamite Kid and wasn't as gassed up. Once he came back in the 90s he was just too drugged and bloated to be a good worker and was just a power guy with some charisma, but not main event level.

Yeah, you have to consider where his two main wins were. He won a Battle Royal at the Royal Albert Hall and the IC belt at Summerslam. both times in the UK. So it was pandering to the european fans in general, and the UK fans in particular. A funny bit on that Summerslam tape/DVD is when they're filming outside for crowd reactions and a little kid goes "The British Bulldog is going to win weither he wants to or not!" Now that's being a smark without meaning to.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I believe they've been out on Blu-Ray for a while in the UK.

Yup. Summerslam, Survivor series (to be released) and Royal Rumble, all '09.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dblu-ray&field-keywords=wwe

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Critical posted:

The silly thing is it was part of a loving awesome multi-year feud that FMW was famous for. Check it:

Hayabusa and Mr. Gannosuke train together, are good friends, and develop a rivalry that turns amazingly hostile. After Hayabusa wins a particularly grueling and (non death)match, he tells Gannosuke to stop being a silly human being and extends his hand in friendship. Gannosuke fakes him out and puts the boots to him. That poo poo happens all the time here but people lose their minds in Japan about it because of their beliefs in honor.

They have another match and 'Busa goes over again clean with a Falcon Arrow in the middle of the ring. He is presented flowers in the victory ceremony. The person presenting said flowers, however, is in cahoots with Gannosuke and smashes the vase over 'Busa's head. They then strip him naked and drag him around the ring with a chain and a dog collar.

This is where it gets amazing.

Haybusa snaps, sheds his persona and becomes H. He loses his mask and trades in his Sabu pants for daisy duke shorts and a big loving falcon-like tattoo on his upper chest. Mr. Gannosuke then proceeds to steal H's old gimmick, becoming Hayabusa and claiming he has been the whole time. Same mask, same outfit, same ring music.

H goes loving bonkers and challenges Gannosuke to the aforementioned Anal Explosion match. The winner is determined when a bottle rocket is placed between your opponents rear end cheeks, is lit, and explodes. H loses and receives the rectal ramifications. All the propellant explodes out the back of the rocket, so while it probably didn't feel all that great, it was safe and a lot less gruesome than you're thinking.

A few weeks after this H and Gannosuke now brawl through the crowd where H goes bonkers and starts bodyslamming fans onto chairs and throwing haymakers at anyone near. Apparently getting punched by a wrestler is an honor in Japan so he didn't get his dick sued stiff. At least that's what Mick Foley says.

The blow off is a Match between H and Gannosuke with Shawn Motherfucking Michaels as the special guest referee. H wins, and after the match, Gannosuke does what he should have done in the first place and finally shakes his hand. HBK then cuts a promo about how FMW will be the #1 promotion in years to come because of the talent and sportsmanship. They were out of business a few years later and the head booker hung himself.

Every time somebody here explains a japanese wrestling angle I confuse it with somebody describing their most recent acid trip. I know about the ladder, but how many other inanimate objects have had a title reign?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Von Linus posted:

Didn't Slaughter have a GI Joe deal before that though?

I think Savage was just a massive dick about something and they had a big fight.

Yes, but he left the company when he got that GI Joe deal, wikipedia even says that was the reason he left. By the time he came back (and became "Iraq rocks" Slaughter) his character wasn't used by GI joe anymore. He returned in 1990 and his last Joe figure was released in '89. Not counting his commemorative convention figures that came out almost two decades later.

Corpsing comes from when people played a corpse on stage during plays, and later television, and didn't manage to do it convincingly, IE they blinked, or laughed or moved in any way. It later came to mean any kind of inappropriate behaviour when playing a part.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

What are some really obscure animal/superstar entrances? Beyond the obvious ones (Jake The Snake/Damien, Koko/Frankie, Matilda, Steamboat/Komodo Dragons?)

Even one appearance with the animal counts. Hell, Chavo/Pepe counts.

All I can really think of is Al Snow and Pepper.

Bad News Brown and a bunch of sewer rats. They were in a cage, and I'm pretty sure they were fake or stuffed. It was in a match with either Jake or Koko. And do the making GBS threads dogs from that one Bossman match count? Even though neither of them brought them, I think.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Hopefully he would not have Santa on it.

To go on a tangent : I dare you to do a GIS for Ultimate Warrior Santa. Possibly with safesearch off. In case it isn't blindingly obvious by my tone, NWS.

That ain't fanart either, that's from his own comic.

I guess I could ask "how crazy is the Ultimate Warrior", but the answer is already known : Very. Are there any less well-known examples of his insanity?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

After AJ-Douglas Williams and Joe-Jarrett from a few weeks ago what are some other matches that've ended with the winner using his opponent's finisher?

I cant remember any others...

The Montreal screwjob?

Undertaker and Kane whenever they had a match that ended in a tombstone, kinda?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

CSammich posted:

There was the fake nWo Sting, and the fake Kane.

In that case, don't forget Taker vs. Fakertaker.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Perdido posted:

Secondly, I remember a segment from Have A Nice Day, which Foley talked about how he dealt with his role as a parent and his chosen profession. He mentioned how some wrestler dads would lead their kids to believe that daddy was actually fighting for his life every night, essentially working them, and that it led to things getting 'weird' when they were of an age to realise it was all bullshit. He went along the lines of telling his kids that he was 'playing' and that sometimes accidents would happen.

My question is, have their been other wrestler parents who have talked about how they handle raising their kids with regards to their profession? I figure with the recent push to keep things 'PG' and how several high profile wrestlers (Triple H and Orton, specifically) are dads, it'd be a relevant thing.

I would personally love to find how how some of them handled it. I mean, I would guess they'd do it around the same time as they'd tell them about Santa? It would also be hilarious if it turned out Dibiase really thought his dad was the richest guy in wrestling for a while. For some, it would be impossible to ever pretend it was real, like Kane and the Undertaker. It would be very interesting to find out how the Undertaker explained his life to his kids. Dude needs to write some goddamn books when he finally retires.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
I've been thinking of getting the Wrestlemania Anthology series, UK (Silver Vision) version, like these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WWE-Wrestlemania-1-5-DVD/dp/B000CR6WPS/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1298409087&sr=1-2

I'd just like to know if these have Ventura's commentary cut or have been butchered in some other way before I do. Ventura's only matters for the first six I think, so I'd also like to know about the others. I understand any musical performances may be out (Like Kid Rock being cut from the far more recent 25).

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Here's a quick one: How many tag-teams have split-up and had both members go on to become main-eventers? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Edge/Christan, Generation Next (although they were never main-eventers at the same time) and the American Wolves (which is the best example of this happening).

The Skyscrapers, sorta? Even though Taker and Psycho Sid weren't techically in the team at the same time.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Saul Goode posted:

How many high profile Marty Janetty's have there been? i.e. wrestlers who've been in a long-term tag team with a partner who went on to be a world title contender while they became washed-up shells of their former selves.

Neidhart? I mean, I don't think he's as bad as that, but he never did go anywhere. Comedy option : Warrior of Ultimate Maniacs fame. Rikishi used to be in a tag team before becoming Rikishi, and since I don't remember whatever happened to his tag partner, or even the partners name, him?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Quodio Stotes posted:

I dont watch wrestling anymore but I've always wondered about wrestlings reach. It'd be a shame if schoolkids in russia weren't attempting to stunner each other on the playground. (true story: I have seen an actual stunner and tombstone pulled off against unwilling victims)

Well, I can talk about Belgium a bit. Wrestling (WWF anyway) used to be pretty big. you could watch the weekly shows and even the PPV's for free on Eurosports in the late 80s/early 90s. And weekly (dubbed) shows on one Belgian, french speaking channel. If you went up to most people on the streets, they'd be able to tell you what a Hulk Hogan is. Even non-wrestling fans would know some of the others, like "that police guy" (Big Boss Man).

Then, mostly due to Eurosports dissappearing/rebranding, wrestling wasn't on TV anymore, unless you had satelite TV and could watch UK channels.

Over the years, some wrestling programs reappeared, to no success. WCW Worldwide for a few months on a Belgian, flemish-speaking channel, TNA on the new Eurosports.

Flash-forward to a few years ago, and going on to the present day. The WWE was/is back... Sort of. No PPV's, free or otherwise on TV. The only way to see them is to buy the DVDs. For watching WWE television, you have two choices, assuming you have digital TV (basic cable is dying so nothing there). Eurosports gives you "This Week in WWE" a short show with highlights for Raw/Smackdown, on a two-week delay, as well as "The Vintage Collection" showing matches from the 80s through to the early 00s. Eurosports has the nice feature of being able to choose weither to watch in english (jay) or dubbed dutch (boo). The drawback is you only get highlights from Raw/SD, not the full shows.

Now I said you had two choices, so here's number two. Hoo boy. You can watch the full Raw and SD shows, barring some cutting when they're three hour shows. They are, like the Eurosport show, on a two-week delay. Here's the catch : They are shown on a Belgian, french-speaking channel. This means they're "dubbed", in Belgian french. With no option to watch in English. Now, I can understand french, so that's not the problem. The problem is why I put "dubbed" instead of dubbed. Let me paint you the painful picture of what it's like.

You have two announcers who do the whole show. I hate these people. The way it works is simple, yet annoying. You can still hear anything that's said on the show in english, except the announce team (cole/King etc). However, everything that's said gets translated by the french-speaking announcers in real time. So you'd have, I dunno, HHH on the mick talking poo poo about the Undertaker, when at the same time you hear these guys translate what he's saying. The french is louder than the english. You try to tune one out in your head, but the other keeps cutting in, leading to you thinking the people of Babel had it loving easy.

So there's that. When there's an actual match, you don't hear the original announce team, you only hear the french guys, they do their own commentary, except, for some goddamn reason, when the camera cuts to Cole/King and the double-speak begins anew. These french guys, and this is one of the reasons I hate them, have running gags. Oh God do they have running gags.

- Every time, and I do mean every time, somebody gets tossed over the top rope, they shout, in unison, "PAR DE-SUS LA TROISIEME CORD". ("Over the top rope")
- Every time, and I do mean every time, a midly attractive woman is shown in the crowd, one of them uses a creepy voice and says "Hello to you", in english.
- They seem to have cut this one out, but it used to be, a lot of the time when there was a two-count, one of them would go "simplement deeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuux" ("simply twoooooooooooooo"), holding the last part for-loving-ever.
- Every time they show a match "from the vaults", an old WWE match to fill time, one of them uses an old-man voice and rambles about how there's now a match from when he was young (2008) for you young whippersnappers who never seen this before.

But all that isn't the worst thing. You wanna know the worst thing? I said they translate in real time. They do voices. They. do. voices. And the worst of the worst? They do female voices too. Every time a Diva is talking, they'll talk over her using a high-pitched, girly squeely voice. Imagine Vicky coming out, saying "Excuse me!". Imagine, immediatly after, a grown-rear end man shrieking "Excusez-Moi!" at me. Every. Single. Time.

Hate. I hate these guys. I hate them with the buring passion of a thousand supernovas. Why do I watch this poo poo?

OK, that was less a state of wrestling in Europe and more an angry rant that's been a long time coming. Wrestling today is certainly less known than it was in the late 80s/early 90s, but it's on TV, there are DVD's and toys in shops and the WWE comes on a tour once or twice a year. There are one or two local feds, but they're never on TV, and only mentioned in the press if there happens to be an article on american wrestling.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Ok, now THIS I can imagine being super-annoying, but it would actually be pretty funny if they only did it with Vickie and her catchphrase. I can see why you'd want to take an axe to your TV if you had to deal with dual audio for every promo, but if I had a weird frenchman yelling EXCUSEZ-MOI every time Vickie yells EXCUSE ME, I think I'd start cackling with laughter.

Maybe you need to drink (more) during the broadcasts.

FYI : I'm watching Raw right now, specifically where Eve is explaining her actions from last week. (saying she was gonna use Cena,two-week delay, remember) With them at it again. With the "dubbing". Yeah, if somebody wouldn't mind coming over tonight and smother me with a pillow, It would be appreciated.

As for Dutch TV, I don't know if wrestling is on TV there. We don't get Dutch commercial (IE non-state) stations here for reasons that baffle me. Probably to protect our own commecial stations.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

DreamingApe posted:

I think Eurosport ditched TNA and went with some international WWE show again, but I never watch that cause they dub the shows in Dutch and gently caress that.

Yeah, like I mentioned, Eurosport 1 airs "This Week in WWE", it gives you highlights from Raw/SD and "Vintage Collection" with classic matches. Do you have digital TV? If you do, you can change the spoken language for Eurosport to english. Take the remote for your digital box, go to Eurosport 1, press "OK" to bring up info in the program you're watching. You may have to press it again when the info box pops up till you get a small list of options. It should say "change language" as one of the options. You'll have to do this every time you switch channels, unless you go to the options for your digital box itself and change a setting so your preferred spoken language is always english. For me, this only affects Eurosport 1 and Cartoon Network.

If you don't have digital TV, only cable, then this post has been a collosal waste of time.

Speaking of translations, and to add some general content, I used to have a VHS of Wrestlemania 8, with dutch subtitles. It was hilarious. I can't remember too many details, but I do know that the singer at the beginning was "Reva McEntire" and matches included such legends as "Char Micheals" and "Tino Santana".

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

TheCool69 posted:

Still thinking about Vickys heat, its pretty amazing… got me thinking who/what has had the most insane nuclear heat in wwe? Shawn trolling Canada with Brett entrance? Angle making GBS threads on MSG before Tazz debut?

"for one night, i've decided to be your champion" … glorious!

You mean the modern WWE or does older stuff count? Because Iraqi sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter has to rank up there.

Anybody wanna give over/under odds on when they'll use Cena's divorce in an angle? And yes, I said "when", not "if".

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I only know of Warrior Warrior and Chyna.

This sounds like the world's worst lawfirm.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Chewy Bitems posted:

oh cool, didn't realise Cesaro has the backstory of a GI Joe action figure from the 80s.

makes sense, SGT. Slaughter was one too.

And the Fridge (William "The Refridgerator" Perry) who was a football player and technically a wrestler since he was in that Battle Royal at Wrestlemania 2.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

No, I'm right. Demolition was disbanded in spring 1991. Crush was then taken off television for about a year and repackaged as Kona Crush in mid-1992 to work in the lower midcards with your typical Repo Man and Skinner types, but around the time of Bret Hart's title win, in September and October 1992, Crush was actually being tried out as Animal's new tag team partner in LOD because Hawk had left the company.

Yeah, I remember a promo where all of a sudden, Paul Ellering introduced Animal to Crush as his new partner. I was confused and pissed at the time. I was looking it up, and I thought Hawk got fired for doing all of the drugs, but wikipedia is telling me he left because of the puppet thing. Because at the time, LOD had a ventrilloquist's dummy as a mascott. Because of course they did. Whoever thought that what the freaking Road Warriors really needed at that point in their careers was a freaking dummy must have been high on something, so drugs were involved in one way or another in getting Crush into LOD.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Warrior did a series of vignettes where Jake the Snake was training him to beat the Undertaker, but then Jake turned on him and revealed that he had been working with the Undertaker all along. They didn't have a blowoff match (which I guess would've then segued into a blowoff with Taker) because Warrior held Vince up for more money and got released.

For what it's worth, after Warrior came back at WM8, he and Taker had a tag match against Shango/Berzerker, sort of to unofficially end any bad blood between the two and to end the respective feuds with their opponents. It wasn't on a PPV if I remember right.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's been seen on a bunch of internet segments doing mini 'pipe bombs' on other wrestlers using the name 'Bad News Barrett'.

I look forward to his upcoming feud with Kofi Kingston, where Kingston paints himself half white.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Question: Were fake Razor Ramon and fake Diesel passed off as legitimately Razor and Diesel, or were they actually called "fake" so and so and not to be taken seriously?

The only footage I remember is from the one Rumble that fake Diesel participated in, and they played it completely straight.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Cromulent posted:

Has any big mystery person angle ever been planned in advance, and been revealed without a hitch? I honestly can't think of any right now.

Would the debut of Taker at the Survivor Series count?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Suleman posted:

Do announcers/commentators outside of English-speaking countries e.g. Japan or Mexico have characters? I mean, American wrestling has JR, Jesse Ventura, Gorilla, Heenan and so on and so forth, each with distinct commentating personas and often at odds with each other. Are there any notable commentators who are fondly remembered?

I think I talked about the (French-speaking) Belgian announcers in this thread before. One is a heel, the other a face. To say I remember them fondly would be something of a stretch. "Hate with the burning intensity of a thousand suns" would be more accurate.

Edit : I'll just copy-paste from my earlier post.

You have two announcers who do the whole show. I hate these people. The way it works is simple, yet annoying. You can still hear anything that's said on the show in english, except the announce team (cole/King etc). However, everything that's said gets translated by the french-speaking announcers in real time. So you'd have, I dunno, HHH on the mick talking poo poo about the Undertaker, when at the same time you hear these guys translate what he's saying. The french is louder than the english. You try to tune one out in your head, but the other keeps cutting in, leading to you thinking the people of Babel had it loving easy.

So there's that. When there's an actual match, you don't hear the original announce team, you only hear the french guys, they do their own commentary, except, for some goddamn reason, when the camera cuts to Cole/King and the double-speak begins anew. These french guys, and this is one of the reasons I hate them, have running gags. Oh God do they have running gags.

- Every time, and I do mean every time, somebody gets tossed over the top rope, they shout, in unison, "PAR DE-SUS LA TROISIEME CORD". ("Over the top rope")
- Every time, and I do mean every time, a midly attractive woman is shown in the crowd, one of them uses a creepy voice and says "Hello to you", in english.
- They seem to have cut this one out, but it used to be, a lot of the time when there was a two-count, one of them would go "simplement deeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuux" ("simply twoooooooooooooo"), holding the last part for-loving-ever.
- Every time they show a match "from the vaults", an old WWE match to fill time, one of them uses an old-man voice and rambles about how there's now a match from when he was young (2008) for you young whippersnappers who never seen this before.

But all that isn't the worst thing. You wanna know the worst thing? I said they translate in real time. They do voices. They. do. voices. And the worst of the worst? They do female voices too. Every time a Diva is talking, they'll talk over her using a high-pitched, girly squeely voice. Imagine Vicky coming out, saying "Excuse me!". Imagine, immediatly after, a grown-rear end man shrieking "Excusez-Moi!" at me. Every. Single. Time.

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 11, 2013

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Honestly, just start from Mania 1 and work your way through it.

Yeah, the first ones have dodgy audio, but they're fun nonetheless. And like with all video review series of this type, it helps to start at the beginning so you'll get all the running gags and injokes that develop.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Tyma posted:

Apparantly, they were scrambling around backstage for a few minutes looking for Eric Bischoff, before Vince just got up and marched out there himself, without his music, or even a microphone. I don't think he even says anything, as the ring announcer just arbitrarily decides that the match should continue?

The funniest thing to me was that they announced the match would be restarted. I thought it would have been great if an overly optimistic Eddie Guerrero had come out at that point, assuming they'd start the whole thing over again.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm trying to think, and I can't, but has Cena (or HHH, Austin, any of the other WWE "The Guy"s) done something as stupidly, ridiculously mean and self-serving as part of the show, and treated as a face as Hogan at Mania 9 scooping up Bret and Yoko's heat and title and keeping it for himself? I mean Cena has the whole "Hey, good job Rey, you won a title tournament to become new WWE champ now that Punk is gone. Fight me in your second match tonight so I can get it back", but that wasn't at the end of Mania, and also there was a least a rest break there.

No, but Hogan himself has, on several occasions. Royal Rumbles where he's accidentally and/or on purpose eliminated his friends Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior and Tugboat. With the crowning moment being him dragging Sid over the top rope with some help from Flair after Hulk "why am I a face again?" Hogan had already been eliminated. By the way, with both Macho and warrior, Ventura's commentary when he pulls that crap is a thing of beauty.

To go back to first PPVs, mine was Survivor Series 1990. My original recollection has gaps in it, for example, I didn't remember Santana making it to the main event, but a few things did stand out. Leading up to the PPV, I kept thinking for the Million Dollar Team's mystery partner "please be Taker, please be Taker" and got my wish. Oh, and as a kid, I was just about as thrilled with the Gooker reveal as an adult would have been.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's what I thought - how could someone hope that Taker would be the mystery partner when that was his first exposure to the audience? Unless you were in attendance for those tapings.

Sorry, went away for the weekend. I should explain I'm in Belgium. At the time, we got WWF PPV's for free on cable, but with a significant delay. So I saw the Survivor Series after Taker had already shown up in vignettes and I think doing squash matches. I either missed Survivor series recaps or the programs were edited to keep the results out of Superstars and Wrestling Challenge.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

From his entire career:

Lex Luger: 4-5-1
Andre: 5-15-23
Sting: 0-12-3
The Rock: 0-2
Tony Atlas (house shows): 0-2

Lesnar, Vampiro, The Wall, Bill Goldberg, Mike Awesome, Jerry Lawler, and Tony Garea (house show): 0-1

Before he was Hulk Hogan, he was 0-1 against Austin Idol, Steve Kern, and Charlie Cook in singles.

I'm only including singles matches, or it would be too much to keep track of. (He never got his tag team win back from Jay Leno.) Singles matches don't tell the whole story, though, because Hogan was adept at technically putting guys over while making them look like poo poo the whole time.

What about the Genius ? Hogan lost to him on a Saturday Night's Main Event, but I don't know if they ever had another singles match. They did have a tag match, but that doesn't count, right ?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

Drew Carrey tried to bribe Kane at the 2001 rumble.

Dibiase tried to bribe Big John Studd at the end of the second Royal Rumble (out of desperation), the same Rumble where he bought the number 30 spot. It's also implied by Dibiase's own gestures that he payed off Akeem to protect him. In the next Royal Rumble, where he got the number one spot, the announcers speculated that he payed Randy Savage to help him out. A rare instance where you got a legitimate reason for heels to team up.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Big Boss Man should be in the Hall of Fame.

If Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Koko B. Ware are both in, Boss Man should be in too.

This, but regarding the Genius. Assuming Koko got in because of his entertainment value, Lanny should ge in too, I'd consider they were about equally entertaining during their runs.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
The correct answer will always be Thurman "Sparky" Plugg. Though I would have given anything if Shawn Michaels had just wrestled as Shawn Hickenbottom.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Back during the heyday of the jobbers, did any of them who actually appeared on television become main card wrestlers? I'm thinking of those poor schlubs who had to wrestle the Steiners or Yokozuna back in '94. They were nearly killed.

Well, Barry Horowitz got on the main card briefly, he even got a Royal Rumble spot. Then there's Dwayne Gill eventually becoming Gillberg. I don't think the 1-2-3 kid counts since I'm pretty sure he was planned to be on the main card from the get-go. (though just because you brought it up, Yokozuna did squash him, literally, before he beat Razor) The most interesting one would be Paul Roma, who went from main card to jobber, then back to the main card as part of Power and Glory and eventually a Horseman.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Are there any wrestlers that hold winning records over Hulk Hogan? The only one I can think of is maybe Rowdy Roddy Piper. With everyone else Hogan eventually got his win back.

The Genius. Unless you count getting a win back in a tag match, but I don't.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Has Kofi Kingston managed to pull off some crazy stunt to avoid touching the ground in every Royal Rumble he's appeared in? I saw the handstand walk and chair pogo in a youtube clip and I'm intrigued.

No, he "inherited" that gimmick from Morrison, who did some RR stunts before. And I think the doing crazy poo poo to avoid elimination started with Rey Mysterio, he once stepped on a prone Miz and Morrison after they'd just been eliminated to avoid hitting the floor.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

surf rock posted:

These days seem to be the beginning of a golden age for women's wrestling. They're still getting very little screen time and I'm not sure the women's roster is that deep on talent, but it seems much more prominent and respected these days than a decade or two ago, from my perspective. I've got a lot of gaps in my knowledge, though, so I did a few minutes of research.

Here're who seemed to be the standard-bearers for female wrestlers:

1980s and earlier: Mae Young, The Fabulous Moolah, Wendi Richter, Mildred Burke

For the 80s, I'd add the Jumping Bomb Angels. They were on two WWF payperviews and did some of the best wrestling on them.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Andre works.

I considered Bret, but the Hart Foundation were always heels were they not? Brets early singles career is one I'm (as a Calgarian) sadly unfamiliar with, did it start as a face run? He was definitely face when he was in Stampede, but would that have been known to the general audience?

They were heels for a good long while, but they turned face by turning on their manager, Jimmy Hart. (Or he turned on them, I'm not quite sure) There was a storyline where they were still officially under contract with him, so he'd show up at their matches and give the heel team and manager tips on how to beat them. They were face when they won the titles from Demolition at Summerslam, when it was Ax, Smash and Crush.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Nah, to be the kind of thing I'm talking about, he'd have to be painted green.

Sting totally stole his look from Brandon Lee, but none of the mannerisms. The best answer might actually be The Road Warriors, since they were totally Mad Max Bad Guys: The Wrestling Tag Team, and inspired multiple imitators.

Comedy option : Glacier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

SirDippingSauce posted:

Having just come across seeing John Cena in a commercial for Hefty (and being really amused), I started to wonder: what other wrestlers have appeared in mainstream commercials shown outside of wrestling programs? Hogan, maybe?

Like, I know lots of WWF/WWE wrestlers did commercials for Chef Boyardee and Hot Pockets and Hungry Man, but I never really saw those air outside of Smackdown and Raw.

Sgt. Slaughter appeared in GI Joe commercials, and in the cartoon series since he was, you know, a Joe.