Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm betting by next year he'll just use uppercut variants as his finisher. Nothing he does will get over beyond it. And I will stab an indie nut in the eye if they claim he should use an airplane spin as a finisher.

Giant swing :mad:

edit: Or the UFO, which isn't an airplane spin either :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Was Swagger fired or something? Wikipedia says he's "an American professional wrestler formerly signed to WWE".

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
How come Andy Kaufman isn't in the HOF? I'm pretty sure he's the only celebrity inductee hardcore fans won't take issue with.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Sears Poncho posted:

Is that really a common sentiment? I mean, I'm sure Vince thinks that because it's a thing he didn't come up with.

I'd put Kaufman/Lawler as the best wrestling angle of all time, easily. I can't think of anything that seems more 'real', even now.

When you think about it, Kaufman/Lawler retroactively fits in with Vince's obsession of making wrestling mainstream, so he should be fine with it.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Is AJ the most heavily pushed woman in the history of the WWE besides Stephanie? I honestly can't think of anyone else. Maybe Miss Elizabeth?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Sears Poncho posted:

Trish, Lita, Chyna?

Supreme Allah posted:

Chyna got to be IC champion, in a semi legitimate run.

This might just be me, but I'd weigh involvement in main event storylines more than winning a midcard championship. And in that sense they certainly pushed AJ more than those three.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Shiki Dan posted:

A bunch of stuff

Those are all valid points, but I wasn't talking about the most over or most successful woman in the history of the company - I was talking about most heavily pushed. And in that sense, I still think Lita/Chyna/Trish got pushed much less than AJ (even if she's benefiting from a weak era).

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

Here's my question for you, Wrestling Questions thread.

What are some examples of a wrestler being able to completely and totally change your personal opinion on them?

I ask this because a thought occurred to me about how much I used to hate Kane, and how flat-out entertaining he's been in the Team Hell No storyline.

I thought Davey Richards was the lamest dude on the planet when he first came to ROH.

These days everybody hates him because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I still think he's pretty cool v:shobon:v

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

I never liked Randy Orton's punt to the head for the same reason I don't like Big Show's punch to the head as a finisher: it goes against the concept and fun of pro wrestling which is to watch a bunch of moves that are absolutely impractical in a fight. A pro wrestling match is a fun detachment from real violence as it contains the same thrill but without the consequences of a life-threatening event. A kick to the head almost illicit the same visceral reaction as witnessing a real act of violence which is against the theme of pro wrestling.

So you also disapprove of HBK's superkick?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Have there been any fart-based, fart-driven if you will, gimmicks before Natalya?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
CM Punk used Cult of Personality during his final ROH heel run so it's like aural (Dean) ambrosia for us smarky smarks

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
The weirdest thing about the Foley/Sandman story was that apparently Foley got mad at Sandman right afterwards, thinking he went into business for himself. How he did not realize that Sandman was completely out of it is beyond me.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Crossposting from the Raw GDT:

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Hey who always did that "Irish whip, jump to the apron, cross body" spot? It looks really familiar but I can't remember.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
e: gently caress you i did not post twice

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Have any of the former WWE writers talked about the "Lunchtime Suicide" skits?

Like, why did they even do that? What did they try to accomplish there?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Monkeycheese posted:

no one is haunting anybody, ghosts don't exist. Also I hope Paul Bearer wouldn't be petty enough that given the (nonexistent) opportunity to do absolutely anything in the (also nonexistent) afterlife to waste it on Kevin Dunn's rear end. Jim Cornette however I believe would be petty enough to do such a thing.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Solomonic posted:

Video footage. The incident is about seven minutes in.

What's the deal with Wendi's reaction there? Did she just not realize she's getting screwed?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Nut Bunnies posted:

My favorite part of that one: Rey went wire-to-wire, but he didn't "go the distance", since HHH had to be first and go until the final 3 because He's HHH.

I've always wondered if this was malicious or if they just decided "hey we need the number 2 to win for once to show that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN"

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

oatgan posted:

God that feud sucked

Fun fact: that feud (2003) was actually separate from the Katie Vick feud (2002). HHH just had to get another win over Kane.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Gatts posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PmUemZywgg

This trailer. With the puns. The glorious puns.

Leek the vegetable is spelled "leek" dummy

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Who has the best wristlock in the biz?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

bartok posted:

Hard to go from creepy foot fetish guy to monster heel.

He didn't start out as creepy foot fetish guy though, he started out as a baby kicker

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Has anybody used the mist gimmick in WWE since Tajiri left? Someone needs to bring that back.

getitoffgetitoff fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 9, 2013

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Whist mist isn't necessarily a bad idea. You just need the right gimmick for it. Like Val Venis, for example.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Why does flipping over reverse the figure four leglock? That spot never made sense to me.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

triplexpac posted:

Being Bischoff's neighbour couldn't have hurt one bit.

Also wife swapping with Bischoff.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
It was also during that phase that he started wearing that cape, wasn't it?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Nash probably has the highest money:work ratio.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
loving nerds.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Was NJPW consistently the biggest promotion in Japan since it's foundation? Was there any point where you could consider AJPW more popular?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

You probably want this thread

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Speaking of Benoit, there's something I've always wondered about : After his death, you got a ton of people testifying that Benoit was clearly unstable, and that when they heard the news they immediately figured out what happened. Did anybody say Benoit was hosed up before he did it, though? I remember the impression of Benoit I got (and that I think most people got?) before his death was that he was just an ordinary albeit really intense guy who happened to be good at wrestling. I don't remember hearing any of the stories about him abusing Nancy or doing crazy poo poo until he died.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I realize there was an unspoken knowledge, I'm asking if anybody came out and outright said it.

(which I guess wouldn't make it unspoken anymore :v:)

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Halloween Jack posted:

Where does the JAYZIS! line from Botchamania originate?

You mean this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7_5MMboo4

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Bigass Moth posted:

What are some entertaining wrestling day jobs? I don't care who's a stripper or who does humanitarian work, I want to know what indy champion spends 40 hours a week working at Sbarro.

The Repo Man was a repossession agent. Duke Droese was a garbage man. Isaac Yankem was a dentist.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Halloween Jack posted:

This has changed my life. Should I actually watch CZW? I thought I got the full experience from "The Top 10 Insane Bumps of [guy with a name like Dick Cyanide or something]" clips.

Just make sure you read this: The Big List of CZW Follies

quote:

During the Battle Royal, battle royal participant BLOOD would be eliminated by taking a clothesline over the top rope and into a shopping cart. As a result his left arm would get cut up pretty bad and his left leg got messed up really bad. Post match footage on the DVD release would become one of the graphic scenes to ever be released on CZW home video. In the tournament finals, Nick Gage suplexed John Zandig onto a bed of flaming glass propped between the guard rail and ring apron. Zandig sandbagged the suplex which caused Gage to slowly descend into the fire instead of smashing through it. Like a real genius, Nick Gage stayed put long enough for the fire to catch his t-shirt, and the rest is history. History that smells like burning human flesh. This tournament was originally suppose to be held at the ECW Arena, with hockey board type glass structures protecting the fans from the glass and other assorted plunder. As this was the ten year anniversary of the IWA KOTDM 1995, CZW chose to bring in the referee for the famous 1995 NRBW Cactus Jack vs. Terry Funk match, Gypsy Joe, to referee the finals of the tournament. Wearing an intelligently chosen wardrobe of yellow speedos and a ref shirt, Joe would proceed to wander the ring in a confused state for the entire match. Clearly having no comprehension of the finish, Zandig had to repeatedly remind Joe to not count to three. This failed miserably, and Joe counted to three multiple times throughout the contest. Post-show, Gypsy Joe would be seen wandering the venue with no pants on and his testicles exposed.

getitoffgetitoff fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 10, 2013

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Bigass Moth posted:

Does the NWA board of directors still exist and do they actually do anything beyond approving champions (if they even do that)? Why don't they try to get TV?

Based on the existence of BRUCE THARPE-DES, there is still some sort of governing body. And they do get on TV (or iPPV, at least)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xU8rddcz9I&t=5206s

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

EugeneJ posted:

Biker Taker came out on his motorcycle and the guy had a sign that said 'Taker's Pregnant', and Undertaker got really pissed off and tore it up.

What's the joke there?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Chewy Bitems posted:

no way man, I think you'll find that alot of people just think that CM Punk sucks.

To be fair though those signs actually do look handmade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

kidcoelacanth posted:

You can tell some of them are identical.

Still, if you told me that those were fan made (like the Edge one) I would have probably believed you.