Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Giedroyc posted:

You can complain about heel Cole today but nothing on Earth (hmm maybe Mark Madden) was worse than attitude era Lawler when there was a woman on screen.

A month late, but holy poo poo this. I just got done watching a Road Dogg/Owen Hart match where, if Road Dogg won, Debra had to "show us your puppies", and Lawler spends the entire time screaming about how great tits are.

PUPPIES ARE A MAN'S BEST FRIEND, JR! YOU'RE NOT A DOG-LOVER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question, as I watch utter fucktonnes of old RAW: Why do they always describe a hit as being to the *body part* of *name* instead of to *name's* *body part*?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Duke posted:

Smackdown Six

I've seen this referenced a few times now, what is it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just want to say that this thread has taught me so much about wrestling over the last few weeks.

Question: What's a hot tag? I hear it all the time, but I still haven't quite figured out what it means.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

flashy_mcflash posted:

A hot tag is when a face has been getting beat down for a while and being actively prevented from getting to their corner. Eventually they make it and tag in the other guy who comes in "like a house of fire" and takes out everyone in a flurry of lariats.

Gotcha. I thought it was like an actual technical thing and not just a euphemism for "the faces come back to win".

Follow-up, unrelated question: What's the real story about Hogan slamming Andre in front of seventeen million fans?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I watched Wrestling With Shadows the other day and it got me wondering: Obviously management screwing over a wrestler has happened, has a wrestler ever gone "screw this" and hosed up the script to win? It doesn't seem like it would ever happen, because A) how could it when the ref is listening to management and B) they'd get fired, but I thought I'd ask

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Dickeye, you make all of us feel like badasses by allowing us to flaunt our knowledge in this thread. Keep them coming.

My options for asking questions are either here, or a thread on another forum, where I was told to come back once I had knew all about Japanese indy stuff, so no problem.

Like I said, I'm learning a lot from this thread, between new responses and working my way through 400 pages of old ones. It's like a crash course in wrestling (Attitude Era marathon is a crash course in "sports entertainment" that doesn't suck.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Buddy of mine linked me a youtube of that Muta match where he rips his opponent's mask off, and the guy does a character change literally midmatch, and it ruled, does that count?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That Sekimoto/Ibushi match is great partly (mostly) because Ibushi sells every hit like it was real.

Also, my favorite part of that Muta/Liger match is when Liger leans back and roars (right after spitting on Muta) and he looks like Gene Simmons on PCP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grant DaNasty posted:

Basically this,

You forgot the FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY SEVEN MILLION SCREAMING HULKAMANIACS BROTHER!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

Never, ever show Hokuto vs. Kandori to someone new to Joshi. It's loving amazing and loving brutal at the same time. It'll just cripple them for any future Joshi.

Show me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I keep seeing "the WWE style" referenced. Can someone elaborate on what this is?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sportsgenius86 posted:

He almost crippled Miz with a botch at ER

Really? What happened?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There was a talk a couple pages back about entrance music that inspires an "oh poo poo" moment, and how Cena's has too much build to pull that off, and I have to agree. They need to trim down that intro so that it's like two seconds and BRRRRRRRRAPADOOOOOO

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atticus Finch posted:

You want to cut down the modern equivalent of a glass breaking?

It holds that build for way too long. You get the "oh poo poo" moment plus about thirty seconds of waiting, which defeats the point of the oh poo poo.

Your "aw gently caress" shouldn't be 30 seconds of instrumental.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tyma posted:

You.. get to pop twice o.O

I guess.

I just think that having your pop followed by thirty seconds of nothing is stupid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question:

The gently caress is a jabroni, and how does one beat it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh. Well that makes "jabroni-beating" considerably less awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hirams Bitch posted:

You need to understand that the Rock considers everyone who is not the Rock a jobber.

Jabroni-beating just got cooler.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rapadoo is a great "Aw poo poo it's Cena", he comes out at the end of the "word", salutes, runs down.

You get the same intro, without the instrumental, and it'd work a hundred times better. Especially with a quicker, higher energy intro, that wait is bad. It's different if it's the Undertaker and his slow, methodical song and the bells.

Speaking of which, the lights dropping out in Raw c. 1998 is a great "awww gently caress" pop.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LAWLandMine posted:

So I got in an interesting discussion with a friend about titles in wrestling. This all stemmed from the backlash the WWE has received about the title being taken off Christian. My friend had brought up something Stone Cold had said about titles, I don't remember the exact quote but I believe it was something along the lines of, If you aren't in the business to win the World title then why are you a wrestler?

What is the general consensus among wrestlers superstars in regards to titles? Is it really a huge deal for the majority of them or is being over more of a concern? I ask because I just can't imagine Christian being extremely upset about dropping the title to Orton considering how over he is with the crowd.

Someone else on here mentioned that he achieved a lifelong dream, got to hug his best friend about ten seconds after it, and has a world title belt in his study, regardless of what comes next. I can't imagine him being too bent.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atticus Finch posted:

What's "shooting the half"? :shobon:

Throwing a half nelson and pushing them over onto their back, in Greco-Roman it's babby's first pin technique.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kermit's awesome.

So is the Miz.

There you go.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Karmine posted:

Probably my two favorite things in the world are comedy and wrestling. Can someone point me in the direction of some of the funniest matches in wrestling history?

e: and I don't mean in a "so bad it's funny" kind of way. I mean straight up comedy wrestling.

Kaiju Big Battel if you can find it.

Chikara iwth a Godzilla bent, right down to the cardboard city in the ring. One of the Chikara guys actually did commentary for KBB.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

KBB also shares Gavin Loudspeaker, ring announcer extraordinare, with Chikara. They had a team at the 2008 KoT. They match wasn't that funny, but the pre match promo and finish were both great.

Gavin Loudspeaker is the guy I was talking about, I bet, on KBB he was Louden Noxious.

e: Quick google tells me I'm right.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

apsouthern posted:

Gavin was Louden Noxious for quite a while in CHIKARA as well, then came back one day having swapped his suit for leather trousers and changed his name to Gavin Loudspeaker and started singing songs before shows

Dude owns on every level and is the reason I want to like Chikara.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

George Kaplan posted:

My favourite was always ArmDragon, the wrestler with a dragon on his arm. It was basically CAW as himself while wearing a dragon hand puppet, and he had to do all his offence with that one arm.

I'm losing it here.

Question: What the hell is Daniel Bryan's gimmick?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
OK now, for shits and gigs, pretend that those names mean nothing to me.

Because they don't.

(this post comes off dickish but I really don't know anybody outside of someone who's either consistently appearing now or just a Big loving Deal)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

Chris Benoit without Ruthless Aggression.

So he kills his family but he's a nice guy?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

He doesn't have a family to kill. He only has a dog and Benoit left the dog alone.

If Bryan ever gets a front tooth knocked out... uh oh.

I just found a picture of Asparagus wearing the WHC belt. Dog owns. Wanna pet that dog.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

Triple H: Do I get my win back?
Warrior: No.
*both phones hang up at the same time*

What's the story behind this?

Also, UMB loving rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well, Warrior beat Triple H after Warrior took the pedigree and stayed down for about half a second.

Was Warrior supposed to lose?

Stupid question it was against Triple H.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Charisma posted:

Is this your first month watching wrestling or something?

Warrior came back in 1996 because, like now, the WWF was sinking fast, and they found a panic button to mash. Warrior squashed HHH, who was at that point a low midcarder and about to be buried 6,000 feet under thanks to hugging Kevin Nash and Scott Hall at a Madison Square Garden house show since they were going to WCW.

Yeah I've posted a couple times about how I just started watching at Wrestlemania and I've actually got a thread where I'm watching Attitude Era stuff for the first time so thanks for being a dick I guess.

Also thanks for the answer too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Snoopy posted:

D/X didn't dominate the storylines and show the way the nWo did WCW's. I guess D/X was the nWo without the 'take over the company and assimilate everyone like the Borg' booking. It didn't become obmixious the way nWo did.

D-X is pretty goddamn obnoxious about the time they run-in on every match.

Coincidentally this is the part I'm stuck watching!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't forget when it came back as a tag team (Triple H/HBK) in...2006? It was the same time as Spirit Squad. HBK did a run-in and superkicked whover and JR absolutely lost his mind about D-X reuniting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

Dean Malenko, Master of 1,000 Holds.
Chris Jericho, Master of 1,004 Holds.

Mike Quackenbush, Master of the Same 1000 Holds as Malenko

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CVagts posted:

Any angle that basically says, "Everything else we do is fake, but THIS is real, we promise!" is stupid

Counterpoint: The Ministry angle kicked off with Vince saying "Mark Calloway really thinks he's the Undertaker and he's after my family".

Can somebody link me a video of Daniel Bryan doing the double entrance thing, where he went back and came out again as Bryan Danielson?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 26, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question: When's the Smackdown Six period? I'm trying to find something I can do in shorter bursts than that stupid Attitude Era thread, adn I figure a couple months' worth of awesome matches is a bit more manageable (I know it's more than a couple months, I'm saying that's all I'd commit to at once).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Duke posted:

The high point of the time is October of 2002. That's when the tag team tournament starts, highlighting several matches between Eddie/Chavo, Rey/Edge, and Benoit/Angle. You can go back a bit further for quality stuff because Angle and Benoit were feuding in the months prior, and Rey and Angle before that, along with other feuds involving those six, all causing a lot of good stuff, but the period that really defines them is all of the tag tournament stuff and several matches after.

Cool, thanks. I'm gonna poke around, see what I find, try to get a month or so's worth.

The other thing I'd ask is, what's some choice WCW to review? Looking for both a really high point and a really low point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any era, and a general timespan focused around one or two particularly memorable shows would be best if at all possible.

Like, an example based on the one incident I know of (that I'm going to try not to review since I don't have anything new to say), "Watch from *date* to *date*, that'll get you the lead-up to and fallout from the Fingerpoke." I'm trying to keep it down to one to two month stretches to avoid the burnout that came with the Attitude Era thread.

Really, I'm looking for bad WCW moments more, because I have more fun making fun of stupid bullshit than I do talking about the good stuff. Except Val Venis.