Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Bret Hart beating Flair for the belt was pretty out of nowhere. Especially considering it was non televised, and Hart thought Vince was gonna shitcan him rather than put the belt on him when they met earlier that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, it's all about presentation.

I mean, BJW done a load of man vs woman deathmatches a while back, and no-one even batted an eye, because they just ran it like a regular match, just...with women.

Satoshi Kojima had an intergender match with someone a few years ago (can't remember who.) That was worked like a typical match as well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Big Poppa posted:

I was just thinking for some reason that while in Japan, Hulk Hogan used the Axe Bomber (Lariat) as a finisher instead of his legdrop, even after he was a megastar.

He legit KO'd Inoki with the Axe Bomber, which pretty much made it a finisher forever over there.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

More to do with it being Inoki, who never lost at that time.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 13, 2013

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Also, the backdrop used as a finish in Japan goes all the way back to Thesz beating Rikidozan with the move.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Was Super Bowl XXX the butt of jokes back in 1996?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Who's more the group of manchildren? Football fans or wrestling fans? We'll soon see.

GLF wanders into section 105 at a Raiders game in O.co with a Chargers jersey on...

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

We know the WWE is aware of it, and that it's either run by a former writer who has a pipeline that feeds him information on the current team (hence CrankyVince making references to backstage stuff that meltz hasn't mentioned yet, like Del Rio threatening to leave), or a current member of the creative team. We know it was briefly shut down because the WWE pitched a fit.

We also know it's friggin' hilarious, and that it seems like an accurate portrayal of the way Vince behaves sometimes.

Not sure how reliable this is, but I have read that Alex Greenfield runs the account.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

So with WM being held in stadiums now, and with this year's being in the NY/NJ area, does that not bode well for WM30 being at MSG next year?

I'm a bit surprised also that they've never held it at the Superdome.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

WM at the Jerrydome would be awesome.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The Austin talk has really made me wish that WWE would recycle the old Ringmaster theme for someone. That song was creepy/awesome as hell.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Brock also is/was nowhere near as media friendly as Rock or Austin.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Jericho busted out the ringpost figure 4 at WMX8.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

89 posted:

I put my mom in the Sharpshooter when I was 12.

ASK HER! ASK HER!

should be RING THE BELL RING THE loving BELL

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Austin injured Chono with the exact same style of piledriver Owen would later injure him with.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Brock and Taker trying to kill each other in 2002 is the best cell match.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Virgil and DiBiase. Ricardo and ADR (originally).

Oh, and Mero and Sable, as I recall, was another of the abused girlfriend angles. Hell, didn't Sable start out as Hunter's valet?

She was HHH's valet at first, but her and Mero were both babyfaces during the start of their run.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Not to my knowledge, but someone (Orton?) once climbed on the table and got his foot caught in the slot where the monitor once was, causing himself and the table to fall over.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Diesel shoving Bret off the apron at the '95 Survivor Series

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I now choose to believe that Undertaker had Limp Bizkit written into one of his contracts.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Quasipox posted:

So I watched Summerslam 2002 after someone posted about the HBK/HHH unsanctioned match, and I actually have a question about the Rock vs. Brock for the Undisputed Title match. I thought Rock was the face going in, as the promo video before hand made out Brock like I remember him, as a ruthless beast of a man. Why then was Rock getting Rocky sucks chants?

I was watching around the time, but I don't remember much of what was going on. Thanks.

Rock was the face going in, but this was a NY crowd (show was at either MSG or Nassau Coliseum, can't remember which) and they knew Rock was going away to shoot another movie after the match.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I don't remember that specifically, but you sure don't see too many German suplexes post-Benoit.

Edge was out for almost all of 2003 due to a neck injury after spending the better part of '02 fighting with Angle and Benoit many times, not to mention all the ridiculous ladder matches he was in before that.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Any and all of the Misawa vs. Jumbo 6 mans should get you into AJPW just fine.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Kawada/Sasaki from October 2000 and Hashimoto/Takada from April '96 are my favorites. Both have a drat near perfect "big match" aura, a nuclear crowd, and are vicious as hell.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

KENTA vs SUWA from 9/2005 is the best NOAH match ever.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

budreck posted:

I'm not a labor law expert but there are forms of suitable discipline. If jobbing someone is the bookers intention all along, that' okay but if it's a reactionary measure or punishment, then it can get sketchy.

something something Independent Contractors.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Foley mentioned in one of his books that one of the big reasons he took roles in commericals and TV shows (Chef Boyardee, Boy Meets World, etc.) was to get SAG membership as well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

When was the last time a tag team either replaced a member, or broke up and one guy got a different partner for a "new" team?

I remember the latter happening several times way back, like the New Foundation (Owen/Anvil) and the New Rockers (Jannetty/Snow), and I remember the former happening to Demolition when Ax got older and Smash/Crush became the new ring team, but I can't remember it happening more recently.

The only recent example I can think of is Legacy, but they were a stable. What got me thinking of this was the idea of Dibiase reforming Legacy or Priceless as a tag team with McGillicutty instead.

Does Jericho replacing Edge with Big Show count?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

You could say that they have that "it" factor that one cannot describe.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Wasn't Benoit a babyface by association when he got injured? Not to mention he was a heel again when he returned to the ring.

E: vv Benoit's first appearance on TV after his neck injury was also in Edmonton, so there was no way he wasn't getting cheered. He even beat up either Austin or RVD (can't remember) at the end of the show to cement that he was a heel.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 28, 2013

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Has anyone ever had a perfect title run? Like, a great title chase, great win, great defenses, loses it at the right time?

Aside from the match he won it in being kinda dull, Misawa's first Triple Crown run and his defenses are pretty drat great. The match where he loses the belt to Doc is a personal favorite with possibly my all-time favorite finishing sequence.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Man, when did BD wrestle in japan? I thought he went from like RoH to WWE? Ole Goatface gets around I guess.

He did a lot of stuff with New Japan in 2004. Won the IWGP jr. tag belts with Curry Man and got to the BOSJ semifinals as well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Jefferoo posted:

I know not a thing about Arn Anderson and want to know more, what's his best stuff?

This is after he got jumped by the nWo in 1996 (the same segment where Rey is thrown into a production truck by Nash) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJZdeJfx4E

That might well be my favorite promo of all time. Arn Anderson is seriously the poo poo.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 30, 2013

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I don't have hard numbers, but I would think '97 was worse financially.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Stephanie and Trish had one of the most miraculously good matches I can remember at No Way Out in 2001, which was also quite a ways off from Trish becoming less of a manager and more of a worker.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Oh here's a question. Did the truth ever come out on the Daniel Bryan Danielson Firing Re-Hiring when Nexus was just getting off the ground. Or are we still completely in the dark on what the hell was up with that?

A big rumor at the time was that it was at the urging of Mattel, when it was really more tied to Linda's Senate campaign.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It had nothing to do with her campaign.

Really? My fault. I could have sworn it did.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I always thought along the lines of hardcore matches being falls count anywhere, whereas no DQ matches still require a pin or sub in the ring.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Antitonic posted:

Well, according to Wiki:
which makes that Armageddon, and as far as I can tell, the next match he's in is No Way Out on February 25, 2001. Assuming he really didn't have a match between the two events, I'd say No Way Out, but there's some gaps to fill. Wiki also says he feuded with Austin in that time, so I assume that even without a match he could've debuted it there.

He had a title match with Angle at the Rumble that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't see Hornswoggle in his heyday; I think the problem is that he doesn't do anything funny. He comes out, they say "Hey look, Hornswoggle!" and the fact that he's there is supposed to be funny.

Him throwing JBL a Guinness was loving awesome at least.