Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I was watching Wrestlemania 18 and I am seriously disappointed that the Austin vs Hall feud ended that way it did: it just stopped. Why did you have to be a drunk bastard, Scott???? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Woops! Wondering if anyone felt the same way about the feud.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

nyratk1 posted:

He didn't do much except be another American foil to Hart Foundation, had a title shot against Bret at Ground Zero and got injured soon after and was released.

Thank you! I remember watching Raw after Ground Zero for the aftermath of the Hart/Patriot match and it was like the Patriot didn't exist. There was no mention of him at all. Not that it was a bad thing. He was really dull in the ring and his gimmick sucked.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Batmanuel posted:

How are guys treated in the locker room when they rejoin the company? For example, did they welcome Undertaker back to the locker room with open arms?

Rejoin-break from the ring, injury, any time they aren't physically there...

I've read both Bret's and Shawn's books and from the way it looks according to them, everyone, and I mean everyone respects the Undertaker. He's the guy to go to if you want an opinion on something. You need to have his respect if you want to last in the company. As gay as this sounds, he's like the grand-daddy of the locker room. He's been in the business so long that everyone respects him and he can come and go as he pleases. It's not like he's going to the competition(he's been with the wwe since his debut, through good times and bad times), he's old now. Also, he is still a big draw for the company and he's apparently a pretty cool guy once you get to know him.

If you're leaving the company for personal reasons, I guess that would be fine. But if you leave on bad terms with Vince and the locker room than it would be hard to come back.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Seriously, the Goldberg/Hogan title match should've been on paper view! Wasn't it the last time WCW beat the WWE in the Monday night ratings?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

apsouthern posted:

Dean Malenko and Steve Lombardi for the Hall of Fame - they're both employed by the company so must be in their good books still (plus I've developed a soft spot for Dean Malenko recently).

Its sad how Dean's career ended. Stuck forever in the cruiser weight/light-heavy weight championship divisions until he retired. His gimmick in the WWE was awful. The 'Ice Man' gimmick suited him because it hid his lack of charisma and looked really good with his cold demeanor.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Tato posted:

Yes, Dean Malenko was infinitely better in WCW and his feud with Jericho there shows that fans could legitimately get behind the guy and support him (although more because of Jericho than anything he did), but I was entertained for a little bit by the idea of Dean Malenko as a ladies man in the WWE, trying desperately to get with Lita.

I used to think WCW under utilized him, but the WWE was even worse. I'll admit that I was entertained when we was wrestling Lita and Jacqueline for his ladies man/women beating angle and when he was actually having serious matches, he was the Dean of old.

Size doesn't have anything to do with how he was utilized, Eddie G was the same size and he had good matches and promos with Lesnar and Batista.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

grody but still def posted:

It was a botch and they ran with the angle of the powerbomb being an outlawed move....for like 6 months.

Then Kevin would break the rules and use the move anyways, while getting 'fines' and 'arrested' and then getting over as rebel baby face because of it. Then the angle dropped off for no reason whatsoever.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

At one point WCW outlawed going to the top rope or throwing someone over the top rope - I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be a good idea.

That wasn't an angle, that was Cowboy Bill Watts being his old school self(douche).

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok I have a couple of questions...
Do internet fans really hate Hulk Hogan and why? He did a ton for the business in the 80s and seems like an ok guy from the interviews he gives and the vh1 shows he's on. I hear he has a huge ego but some of the stuff I've heard sounds borderline uncanny.

He refuses to put anyone over and if he does lose its usually by interference on the behalf of the other wrestler or it will take a supreme amount of punishment to beat Hogan as in "No mortal man can beat the Hulkster, brother"! He sells very poorly, as well. He's also the textbook example of why giving a wrestler creative control is a bad idea, as you can look at his WCW career as proof. Still till this day, he thinks he lives in the 80's where he was number 1 and top dog in the industry.

Now look at him; he's old and broken. The WWE won't touch him now, and he's so desperate that he is looking to go to TNA.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
ICP. I think that's as close as you're gonna get.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

SiKboy posted:

Sid and Vader detonated a bomb on stings boat, trying to kill him and Davey Boy Smith.

Oh god... those terrible mini-movies that WCW made to promote their pay-per views. The horror!

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

dumb_jam posted:

Hassan was played by a guy called Mark Copani, and given that his starting gimmick was "but I'm American!" it should come as no surprise that he was actually Italian (that's why they had Daivari speak Farsi for him - a kind of reverse Runjin Singh) He moved to LA to become a proper actor I recall, but if you search for him on the internet you get nothing past Muhammed Hassan, so he's probably struggling as an extra.

Nah, he moved there to become a Hollywood writer... so that's worse.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Okay I have one: What was the Katie Vick storyline?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CombineThresher posted:

A really, REALLY bad idea.

That's what I hear, but what was the storyline? Details, please?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I think I remember an interview with HHH where he was asked about the funeral home skit, and he said there was an actual funeral going on in the next room over. And while they'd be filming, Vince would keep yelling at HHH to hump the dummy harder and to be over the top about it. The funeral director had to keep peeking his head in, telling them to quiet down.

I really wonder which scenario is more tasteful.

Sorry, but that's hilarious because I can actually picture Vince McMahon yelling that.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

chazburgr posted:

I hated the Headbangers because I could never beat Mosh in WWF Warzone for the N64. That game sucked and a result of my youthful inability to get a grasp of the controls (compared to the superior WCW vs NWO World Tour), I hated the Headbangers.

All I know is that Warzone was terrible! It was clunky and slow. However, WCW vs NWO World Tour/Revenge were amazing and me and my buddies played for hours straight.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Does Triple H still draw?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

X-Pac heat has always been when a heel or whoever gets booed, not because they're doing a good job, but because people want him off their TV. Who it applies to is what's argued about.

Proof: The scene is Backlash 2002. The match: Scott Hall vs Bradshaw. Its god awful through on through. Scott Hall sadly looks winded from the beginning and Bradshaw never really had a prime where he was considered a "good wrestler". Xpac is out in Scott Hall's corner. People are ignoring the lovely match and screaming "Xpac sucks!" through it all.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

triplexpac posted:

Fans used to do this exact thing whenever the Rock was at ringside with the Nation. Perhaps the term should actually be Rocky heat?

Back then people actually hated the Rock and wished he was not wrestling. Before his character took off and won them over.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRayPer posted:

Macho: Age in the Cage II vs Hogan, wearing wacky coats, bringing in Gorgeous George, and... uh..

Luger: Joined the Wolfpac, Turned on Sting, Pillmanized a bunch of arms, teamed with Buff Bagwell.

And both couldn't wrestle to save their lives.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Judakel posted:

What are some notable wrestlers that have criticized Bret Hart's handling of his WWF exit and the entire situation leading to the Screwjob? I am talking about his refusal to drop the title and generally his way of doing business and being "a mark for himself". I know Flair is quite negative on Bret but anyone else?

Bret is one of the most delusional wrestlers of all time! He actually thinks he is this "Big Canadian hero" and now look at him: he's a bitter old man who sits alone is his house all day long because no one wants to be around him. The fact that he still holds a grudge over the screw job is really sad. Shawn was a big rear end in a top hat too back in the day, but he has tried contacting Bret over the years to mend the fences, but he is still pissed off at him. I hate Hogan a lot, but Bret is up there too.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

grody but still def posted:

you've clearly never been to canada, they really do worship him like a big canadian hero.

I am Canadian and no one gives a poo poo about Bret. Maybe back in the day, but no one cares about the broken, old man anymore. The only people that cared about Bret back in the day were Canadian wrestling fans. Ask anyone about Bret today, and you'll get a resounding "Huh?"

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Karmine posted:

So I'm thinking about getting the 10th anniversary Best of Smackdown DVD. Is it worth it?

It's pretty good. They showcase the top 100 moments of Smackdown along with a few matches on each disc. It gets pretty entertaining and it shows how Smackdown has changed from the 1st episode up to the present. It's hosted by Micheal Cole and Matt Stryker if it matters to you.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Sionistic posted:

I think the awful finish of the elimination chamber was when he started losing his heart for the business.

How'd it end?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Goldberg dominated the poo poo out of everyone and lost to Triple H only after Flair handed Trips the sledge. Then Evolution cuffed him to the wall of the chamber and tee'd off on him.

I really doubt this is what set off Goldberg specifically. He was probably pissed he had to feud with Jericho and Christian for half of his run and let so many by heels get one over on him.

Or it could have been the fact that he was just holding the title until Triple H fully healed?

I just watched the match and Triple H did nothing but use the sledgehammer. It did make Goldberg look like a beast though. He speared Jericho through glass and booted through glass to get to Triple H and Orton can sell really well, too. Same with Shawn.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Pneub posted:

It was bad. It was bad.

And it was so bad that they went on longer than originally scheduled and the satellite companies actually cut off service at the beginning of a main event match that people really wanted to see: DDP vs Goldberg for the World title.

Then WCW thought they would give away the full match for free on Nitro to appease fans. It ended up pissing them off even more and WCW had to refund millions of revenue back to them. This would continue on for what we would call the steep decline of WCW.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRayPer posted:

No, Bischoff made the call to have the PPV go longer as one of his "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN" ideas and tried to alert the PPV companies... but some of them couldn't keep the PPV on longer. The refunds were a drop in the bucket in 1998 when they made 60 million in profit.

They might have made 60 million in profit, but this incident and killing Goldberg's streak was the beginning of the end, along with other issues.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CarlCX posted:

The Hogan/Warrior rematch includes a spot wherein Hogan tries to drop an elbow on Warrior, but he rolls sideways, and then does it again, but he rolls the other way, and yet a third attempt, with yet a third roll, whereupon Warrior turns to offense and rolls straight into Hogan's shins, knocking him to the canvas.

Oh, and Hogan throwing flashpaper at Warrior's face without lighting it.

It's really, really bad.

No he lit the flash paper, it just blew up in his face and not Warrior's.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Judakel posted:

I just hard to address the stupidity in this post: You don't have to maintain a long feud with someone to put them over. HBK has worked with guys well below his main event level and made them look drat good. The problem is that to smarks if he ain't losing or running long feuds with them then it doesn't count.

He made Masters look good. I didn't think that was possible.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Speaking of terrible championship reigns, which was more terrible: Triple H's 2003 super reign? Or, John Cena's Reign of Doom?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Hey I know Triple H was a heel during his super reign, but his title reign was ridiculous for its length and his feud with Micheals was also way too drawn out.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Captain Charisma posted:

Nthing HHH. Cena, as unpolished as he was back in 05-06 still had potential and could be carried to a hell of a match. HHH in 2003 was obscenely bloated due to a combination of steroids, laziness due to the fact he knew he was untouchable, and PB&Js. All of his matches suffered because of it.

Plus you could argue a babyface is supposed to be dominant whereas a chubby, boring heel wiping the floor with his popular competition and talking for the first 20 minutes of every show isn't exactly the greatest way to convince fans to come back for more.

I know Goldberg won the title and held it for a good time, but to me it looked like he was just holding the belt for Triple H until he healed. Plus, he was getting beaten and buried every week on Raw, too. Also, that horrible ending to the elimination chamber match that year, as well. I hate Cena but I hate Triple H more.

It was obvious he got lazy in 2006 when he was in DX. Now that's when he was a lazy, tubby bastard

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

dusty udder smoker posted:

no he won it pinning goldberg.

after kane chokeslammed him.

Either way, it was a terrible match. Won by the most boring, terrible, lazy wrestler in the WWE currently.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I was wondering what people though of Hogan's super, omega world title reign in WCW? You know, where he held for like 3 years straight while dropping it only a few times.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

And of course, the reaction for Hogan was so huge they had him win the Undisputed title off of Triple H almost immediately which certainly seemed like the right choice at the time, but it wasn't long before the nostalgia completely disappeared and people were actually booing Hogan. Thank God for the Undertaker.

I watched their match and when the Taker goes for the choke slam, Hogan goes dead weight and refuses to go up, then Taker whispers something in his ear and then miraculously, Hogan goes up for the choke slam.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

They bury the poo poo out of Jarrett on the Horsemen DVD and the RIse & Fall of WCW DVD. The Horsemen one was hosed though because Flair and AA bury Jarrett but put Mongo over as a "real Horseman" :downs:

New question: who's more lovely: Jarrett or Mongo?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CM Junk posted:

WM25: Best match of the year
WM24: Main event, second best match of the card
WM23: Best match of the card
WM22: Carried Mark Henry to an acceptable match
WM21: Arguably the best match of the card
WMXX: Return to Deadman gimmick, last Paul Bearer sighting in WWE

Your Undertaker-hate trolling is full of holes. You were better when you tried incorporating the word "tits" into every post you made.

The Great American Bash 04 is the last Paul Bearer sighting in WWE.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

crankdatbatman posted:

But that didn't stop his wrestling career.

A fist through a car window did.

Well, temporarily.

I don't care what anyone says, that was bad rear end of him to do that! Sure it was stupid and he almost lost his arm from the blood he lost, but since he didn't lose his arm, it's cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

TL posted:

They were filmed when he was in WWE.

Really? Because every time they aired a Bischoff or a Hogan segment, they would put a date in the corner for when it was taken(because they both refused to be apart of it, as with the Scott Hall segments). There were no dates placed in the Goldberg segments so I just assumed they were recent.