Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

BigRed0427 posted:

This I need to see.

He TOOK the rana. Dave's crappy sentence structure still fools people a decade later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I meant Headbangers Ball. The Cathouse was a Sunset Strip club owned by Rachmann and Taime Downe (of Faster Pussycat). It was essentially the Max's Kansas City/Studio 54 of the Sunset Strip scene. I mention all this because I'm shocked the dude was an interviewer for WCW.

He also got suspended for a time for saying "NO FAT CHICKS" on Nitro during the Nitro Girl Search that led to Stacy Kiebler's career.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

WCW Nitro, WCW Thunder, WCW Worldwide, WCW Saturday Night.

That reminds me, Worldwide was actually the last Turner WCW production to air, since it was on a one week delay.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't know if Foley got up, but that's definitely Rock & Sock vs. the Hollys from a Smackdown in the fall of 99.

I can remember this but not anything for my History of Modern Europe midterm.

Close, it was Raw the day after No Mercy 99. I only know that because I was there.

They showed the tag team ladder match from the night before prior to the live show and the place indeed went banana.

It also had the awesome promo when Mankind thought that Rock threw his book in the trash and he cut a hellacious promo on Rocky, including a rare use of the word goddamn.

It was also the night that Russo and Ferarra started in WCW, and the debut of old slapnuts himself on Nitro.

I am 27 years old and don't know the date and usually don't know the day of the week but I remember all this. :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

IndiestAsFuck.jpg

I count three, maybe four different replica WCW belts. Two cruiserweight and a TV title. That one might be a tag title or something, it looks kind of familiar.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Minidust posted:

I'm convinced that there are enough vindictive old-timers in wrestling that SOMEONE would have come forward with some incriminating dirt on Savage if that rape story was true. People with no ties left to Vince and/or Savage that would have nothing to lose by breaking the real story. The fact that this hasn't happened leads me to believe that the whole idea is entirely bogus.

Yeah we live in a world where Billy Jack Haynes has a shoot interview where he claims that Vince McMahon was Daniel Benoit's father and Vince planned to murder Owen for some reason and Vince rehired Davey Boy Smith in 1999 for an obscene contract because Davey Boy was in on it.

SOMEONE would have given credit to the Stephanie rumor by now, even in an indirect manner.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Minidust posted:

He'll go ahead and shoehorn the title of a Queen song into his commentary whether it makes sense or not, dammit.

He's just having a good time, having a good time, he doesn't want to stop at all.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Yeah and Val Venis has a win over CM Punk. (hint: context is key)

I will give Cornette the benefit of the doubt until I watch the video and see his logic. Written well, the worst crap on paper will make cash money.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Karmine posted:

My assumption was that he would be working under ideal circumstances. Like, in this imaginary world guys like Rhodes, Funk, Hogan etc. would all be in their primes.

If that is the case then I just stopped caring at all. Anyone can book anything if everything is ideal, and no one is crippled.

Give him the setup exactly as it was in 2001 and then see what's what.

Hogan will still refuse to job at all ever but we can ignore that plot hole.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think the worst thing about the Screwjob is that it's now been re-enacted like twenty times.

To use a comic book analogy, it is the Bullseye stabbing Elektra scene of professional wrestling. It was shocking and amazing at the time but every single reiteration of it just makes you go oh yeah THAT thing. Especially in (comics/wrestling) where no one ever really (dies/never comes back to work for Vince).

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

savinhill posted:

I would love to see clips of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT_9P5TQ9MI

Corny is the best ever.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfB64QXF_U

I tried to find the one where Mean Gene goes into kayfabe and talks carny on camera but I couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1EGxscorg

It's at about 3:20.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

ninety posted:

Ok, this might be a long shot but I've got two question from my hazy, wrestling loving childhood. First, I went to a WWF event in Ohio for my birthday sometime in the '90s. The only specific thing I can remember was a tag-team match where some guy with dreadlocks was running between the ropes and his opponent grabbed one and ripped it out when he ran past him. I'd like to track down the show and it'd be nice if I at least had a name to work with, so tag team + wwf + dreadlocks + later '90s = ???

I don't know when your birthday is or where in Ohio you went, so I cannot help you much more specifically than this: http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/results.htm

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Hockles posted:

I can't be the only one that remembers that show and sees the resemblance.

Now I know Linda Hamilton has strong features, but to say th-- oh. OH!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

We aren't allowed to have a derailed thread so I dunno, here's a post: Watching the 1996 Royal Rumble (maybe that makes this belong in the Worst Wrestling Stories thread, it is the shits) Barry Horowitz ACTUALLY USED Hava Nagila as entrance music. That is awesome.

I guess for a question, why did the Rumble suck a dick that year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble_%281996%29#Royal_Rumble_entrances_and_eliminations

I mean 55 year old Dory Funk Jr.? Doug Gilbert? MAKING A DIFFERENCE~! Fatu? Kama, both Samoan Swat Teams, and HOG? (Although goddamn if Henry Godwinn wasn't a hoss and a half)

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Why the heck do you guys hate free ice cream sandwiches so much? :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

reality_groove posted:

If I remember correctly didn't they lose that subtlty soon after by having Chyna catch Eddie in the shower with some hos or something?

One of those ho's? Victoria, making her WWF debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1C9d38LKEo

Funny enough, later when they would revisit that angle for reasons I cannot remember, they replayed the GTV segment and blurred out Victoria's face,, presumably so as not to confuse anyone. I miss you, Chris Kreski.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

What is the greatest wrestling DVD cover you have ever seen

I personally lovely the comic book style Chikara covers (so much so I commissioned the guy who did the covers to do a parody for my own wedding dvd cover)

I'll bite: what cover?

I hope it's this one:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I agree that Foley's lying, but I go with the Terry Funk theory that he's lying so he can get out of trouble with his wife rather than lying about how awesome he is.

But she married him before he made it big and he was fat back then too. Why would she leave him now?

Same reason she married him: severe codependency. :drdrew:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Shane responded with "I know Booker T is near!"

Never mind that poo poo, here comes Mongo!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Suben posted:

This reminds me of something I read once (maybe in the whole sleaze list so it could be fake?) that when WCW had action figures, it was set up so that if someone bought a Jericho or whatever lower carder figure it'd actually register as a sale of a figure of Hogan and other guys like that thus loving the lower carders out of royalties.

To be fair, which I shouldn't because Hogan, but that is not a WCW or Hogan problem, it is a toy store inventory problem. Unless Hogan owned the toy store. SWERVE~

And the Arn parody was hilarious, especially Konnan as Mongo rubbing his hands together like a goof. So like Mongo, basically. I recall hearing somewhere, I forget where, that Arn et al were cool with it, but people in Arn's family got all whiny and in Arn's ear about it and only then it became a Thing.

I'm not defending the Horsemen never getting their heat back and actually beating the NWO fair and square, but that is different than the parody itself.

And only sort of related, but my favorite Dysfunctional WCW stories also come from Chris Jericho, the time he got a Fed Ex package with nothing in it, and the time he got a royalty check for $0.00 :wcw:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

I read an ugly rumor that it was because JR isn't very photogenic (as compared to Cole or Tazz or King... ouch) ergo they moved the announce table so his fat face wouldn't distract people whenever that side of the ring is filmed.

Sounds retarded but unfortuneately I have no trouble believing it. :bahgawd:

JR is fat, Southern, and loves wrestling.

Vince McMahon hates all those things.

I recall someone (Cornette?) saying Kevin Dunn had a hand in it too - look at the long long LONG list of pretty boy announcers that have come and gone in the company.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

That's the point. A CRZ report tells you everything that happens.

Everything.

The biggest problem I have with CRZ recaps is trying to decode the clever nicknames he gave everyone. At the time it was ok but over a decade later...

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Wouldn't that be Scott Keith?

No because the writers at TWOP actually watch the shows and follow the product.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Every wrestling company ever always lies about everything.

Professional wrestling is comic books, pretty much. Every few years everything is retconned except for the facts that are undisputable, and we are in a constant state of fudging the truth and changing facts as the story requires.

And really, if any real world person could become President and get impeached because he shot up with liquid Kryptonite and started flying around in battle armor, it would be Vince McMahon. Actually there are a few McMahon/Lex Luthor parallels to be drawn, but that is for another time.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

And let's not forget, it's not like we're talking about someone like Booker T or Benoit or even a Malenko or Saturn, we're talking about end days of WCW midcard cruiserweight nobody Mike Sanders. No matter what exactly happened, no matter who was a dick to whom, if he was worth a drat he would have done something in the company. Even Shawn Stasiak, who was previously fired by the WWF for being a loving weirdo creeper was given stuff to do.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

That's odd, I've never noticed any kind of speech impediment, it just sounds like a strong southern accent with a lot of enthusiasm to me.

Here's a more intense example of the effects that Bell's Palsy has on JR, mostly intensified by the fact he was still recovering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bX0p1gpAU

This video is from 12 years ago and you could cut and paste parts of it into current continuity. :psyduck:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Mae Young, Little Guido, Nidia, and KENTA.

AKA the best stable that never will be.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

My memory is failing me tonight, so I am probably forgetting a very obvious example, but has anyone ever ripped off the concept of regeneration from Doctor Who to explain a gimmick changing from one guy to another? Does that make sense?

Edit: This random thought inspired by this video where two different Doctors use the airplane spin.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Read everything here.

http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/11/interview-with-vince-mcmahon-part-1.html

http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/11/interview-with-vince-mcmahon-part-2.html

The part that is burned into my brain:

VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON, DAMMIT posted:

Anyway, I remember the two of us being so curious about each other's bodies, but not knowing what the hell to do. We would go into the woods and get naked together. It felt good. And for some reason I wanted to put crushed leaves into her. Don't know why, but I remember that.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Some godawful-looking website with a writer who needs 3,000 words to describe how Triple H spent a year or so wrestling and jobbing out to nobodies/not appearing on PPV at all, but didn't really job don't you see it was all a ruse put on by Triple H and McMahon?

I'm convinced.

Chris Hyatte account found!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

You're the development fed. That's part of your drat job. If this was hockey it would be a similar issue. NHL team sends down guy to AHL ready to be called up at any time. He could be a valuable part of your winning streak. He could be poo poo and hard to find a spot for in the lineup. You deal with it.

I understand it would be nicer if they didn't do it in a very, "gently caress you don't give a poo poo" manner but Jim needs a little thicker skin there. OVW is the development fed. If WWE tells you to develop a guy, you do it. Even if he sucks.

Also, the NHL team doesn't take the guy, call him up for a tryout, then send him back as a golfer because well just because.

Ugh this analogy sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUkIuYQmVEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HljqU9qIAQY

Goddamn I could listen to Cornette rant for days. Has he done a shoot since leaving TNA? There have to be some stories there.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Riki Rachtman did stupid things for them too.

Including getting fired for saying "No fat chicks" on live TV.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Nystral posted:

Was HBK retired when he met and married the former Nitro girl Whisper?

As memory serves, he was out with the back injury when they met. WCW only found out because they were going to France and turned around and Eric Bischoff was behind them in line. WCW then refused, REFUSED to let her go from her contract even though she was like 8 months pregnant because they didn't want the WWF to sign her.

Re-read that. The only person who WCW fought tooth and nail to keep was a NITRO GIRL. Not even the hottest one!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Remember Southern Justice? I do. It is my curse.

Once every 5 or 6 years I randomly remember them, and in some ways I think that is worse.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Garrett Bischoff gets a pass from me forever because he gave us Ernest Miller.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Rodney Mac

:stare: I forgot he existed until right now.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

ColeM posted:

Don't forget that when he wrestled anybody, they had their best matches with him! Only him!

And Mick Foley has never beaten him or his wife or his kid or his probation officer (because nothing is more froot than being a drunk texting driver!) or any of 300 namedropped z-list musicians per chapter!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Sears Poncho posted:

Quite the opposite, American commentators will often comically exaggerate how dangerous the weapons are, 200 pound ring steps, etc.

Also, the steel cage? Turns out it DOES NOT taste like chocolate. I was as shocked as anyone. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

I think he's talking about the match where Benoit and Sullivan ended up in the bathroom. Which, I believe, I on the Benoit: Hard Knocks DVD, so you can look up the match listing for that.

Speaking of Dusty, he's loving hilarious in the commentary for that Benoit/Sullivan bathroom brawl. "DEYTH A LADY IN THE MEN'S COMMODE! RIGH HEAYH IN CHALOTT NOH CAROLINA!"

EDIT- Great American Bash, 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRiK1UyxCQw

The best match.