Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lamuella posted:

hmm... I'd argue that Inoki versus The Great Antonio is worse, although it does include on the the greatest asskickings seen in the sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

Of all the people to no-sell and then shoot..Antonio loving Inoki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lamuella posted:

As far as the "steamboat" part goes, he started his career as the kayfabe son of hawaiian wrestler Sam Steamboat.

His real name is Richard Henry Blood. He very briefly wrestled as "dick blood". I really hope the emphasis was on the second syllable.

Ricky is in the same company as Roddy Piper when it comes to unnecessarily changing their real names. Not that Richard Blood or Roderick Toombs would have really fit their gimmicks..

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Option besides the more valid points already made: Old school veterans didn't like these guys getting over on athleticism and not the age old method of politicking and being really tall.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

One day I want to see Kane take too long setting up a choke slam and get the five count DQ for it.

There was a King of the Ring match with Big Show where he choked him for a good 3 or 4 minutes after a ref bump before just saying gently caress it and hit him with a chair.

Also, I feel like the whole passing out from pain thing was popularized by Austin/Bret. At least that is what guys like Triple H have in mind when they "pass out" instead of tapping to put themselves over. Granted they tap eventually in some cases.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Red posted:

You're right, I just think they liked simple, sharp-sounding names, too.

Although now, we have a guy named Dolph Ziggler - whom I love, but holy poo poo, that name.

Better than the first option they presented to him, Dave Diggler.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Vince offered Hogan a 25-year contract around 2007, but he turned it down. It was chronicled on an episode of 'Hogan Knows Best'. Vince told him that he always wanted Hulkamania to be part of WWE and that the contract would guarantee money to his family even after he was gone.

In retrospect - dumb move on Hulk's part

Was this decision a Ric Flair type thing where Hogan couldn't afford (finance or ego wise) to not be able to pursue outside interests while under a lifetime contract with WWE or just Hogan being a big dummy?

Sidenote: I know those aren't mutually exclusive

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 15, 2013

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Has Jericho ever used a kendo stick to do a more powerful Codebreaker? Cause that'd be pretty cool.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gatts posted:

At this stage the people most successful from Nexus

Daniel Bryan
The Ryback/Skip Sheffield
Heath Slater
David Otunga
Wade Barrett
Justin Gabriel

Who saw that coming (outside of Bryan) after the way Barrett owned his tenure and the main event with Cena?

I am always shocked at where Gabriel ended up. He was one of the most over members of Nexus due to his very recognizable finisher but now he just sits and waits on the perpetually injured Tyson Kidd. Even though I love that tag team, I wish he got slotted in with Kofi after Bourne and at least stayed on TV.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I always assumed the polka dots and dancing gimmick was a rib on Dusty but apparently he claimed it was his own idea? What is the real story here?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

As far as props and a safer ring go, it comes down to the fact that wrestlers are pretty ingrained in their ways and I don't think anyone would go for foam chairs and poo poo. Also, changing the mat up would throw a lot of guys off.

That being said I absolutely agree with you about the announce table. There has to be a way to make it so you can stand on it but still collapse after a slam. It really can't be that hard.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Someone sell me on why Greg "The Hammer" Valentine is a hall of famer. From what I've seen he looks like poo poo, wrestles like poo poo, and sells like absolute poo poo. Do I need to dig deep into his NWA and early WWF stuff to find some gold?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

HHH's spinebuster is a bit slow and often doesn't look like it has any power to it. When he hits it well it's great, but when he's off it really doesn't.

I hate HHH's spinebuster, it looks weak as poo poo.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

JPrime posted:

WCW Nitro for the PC was a God-forsaken abomination.

All of the PC ones were garbage.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Is The Rock considered a 'territories' type guy? Whatever those dudes are called who spent time on the road and, I guess, paid their dues in the old school way. Or is he considered like a Goldberg-type who was manufactured to be a star?

I remember something in his book about living in a car or slumming it for a while.

Rock is an interesting case because he was given far more experience off tv than someone like Goldberg and wasn't paid big money despite being groomed for a nice position because of his family connections. He was signed right after training and given a big push almost immediately, after all.

So he really is neither.

edit: Also I second that the synctube is a great way to get started on NJPW because the regulars can fill you in on the feud or dudes you don't recognize. (Captain New Japan would have confused the poo poo out of me if I watched that alone)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 26, 2013

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

NJPW should try running America again, but using someone more reputable than JAPW to promote the shows.

A smart promoter with good advertising, cross promoting, and location could make it work but the profit margin is razor thin for all parties and probably just isn't worth it either way.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Everyone needs to see Paul Bearer's finishing move in this video. It comes at about the 2:20 mark, and has to be seen to be believed.

Also, Nash sucks.

Paul Bearer: "The Man Who Gravity Forgot"

PS: They have Droz performing his finisher on D-Lo in that video :stare:

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 30, 2013

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Has anyone ever been powerbombed of the top of a cage?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Grey posted:

Are any other moves banned because they are too dangerous?

They generally don't let anybody to a shooting star press without permission (Evan Bourne), thanks Lesnar. You'll never see a vertabreaker/cop killa in the WWE again.

Also Goldust got fired as an agent last year because he booked a Doomsday Device spot where PTP nearly murdered Yoshi Tatsu.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Is/was Kofi Kingston popular? Why does he have so many midcard title reigns?

If you have ever been to a live event, Kofi is over huge with kids. Honestly, I see more kids running around with Kofi signs, and surprisingly, merch than anyone who isn't John Cena or Daniel Bryan.

I know people like to poo poo on the guy around here but I think they overestimate how popular he is with the younger crowd. Also his "does crazy poo poo at big PPVs" thing is alright with me.

Speaking of Kofi, I was just wondering earlier, is there any chance they don't reunite Air Boom when Bourne is back? The fact the Kofi is really doing nothing right now makes me think it's a foregone conclusion. Plus he is wearing pants now so..

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I honestly believe that none of those people are as over as Bryan is right now, nor have they been as over as Bryan is.

You realize how batshit crazy this sounds right?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Perdido posted:

I thought that he was being consulted on some storyline stuff, but he wasn't a full fledged road agent or anything.

...although I think Big Dave might've debunked that, now that I think of it.

Yeah there was a humor that Vince, Dutch, and Heyman took over booking but Dave squashed it. To be honest, Dutch probably doesn't want anything to do with creative after the amount of times he got poo poo on by TNA when he was booking there.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

nooneofconsequence posted:

What was the plan for Regal after KotR before he got Wellness'd?

Don't know for sure, but the consensus is that KotR was the beginning of a really big push and the closest he ever got to becoming a world champ.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Best part about Black Scorpion that the 10 or so guys who either played him, planned to play him, or we're rumored to play him were for the most part very different looking guys body-type wise (he would have gained like half a foot going from Ole to Dave Sheldon)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

/\/\/\/\
WWE does tour South Africa so there's that..

Castomira posted:

Did Justin Gabriel ever do anything that got him in trouble with the booking staff? I can't imagine why he'd be a jobber so consistently, other than that he puts heels over well.

He is in the "creative has nothing for you" spot right now after Kidd got injured so that means jobbing around until further notice. Hope something happens with him though, the 450 looks awesome and it got over as a big move during the Nexus era.

Actually his best move recently was getting involved in some drama on Total Divas.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 28, 2013

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Valeyard posted:

Assuming he knows who JTG is then,

"God drat son, do I still employ you? I'll get that fixed asap"

There is going to be a reverse Jimmy Wang Yang situation where Vince sees JTG backstage, asks him what he has been up to and tries to rehire someone he never fired so he can test out a spot for Cena.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Onmi posted:

What are some recommended wrestling DVDs like Punk: Best in the World and Mick Foley: For All Mankind?

Speaking of the second, jeez Joey Styles got heavy since I last saw him...

Stone Cold. The Rock one is pretty good. Jericho's is ok but way too long.

Non wrestler centered wise, Rise and Fall of WCW is a must see. True Story of Wrestlemania is good too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I wasn't watching wrestling when Samoa Joe had that stupid tattoo. I'm always cracking up when I see it but I dot know the context at all. Is there any?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

He was feuding with the Main Event Mafia and did a stretcher job. About a month later he came back with a penis drawn on his face and noticeably fatter threatening the Main Event Mafia with his "Nation of Violence" which mostly involved him waddling around and exchanging holds with Scott Steiner. I think in TNA continuity the whole "Nation of Violence" part ended up being a swerve to gain AJ Styles's trust or something for when Joe turned heel a couple months later, but he kept the penis facepaint for awhile.

Samoa Joe's got a posse dick painted on his face

On that note, is Samoa Joe the biggest case of wasted potential in wrestling? The only other ones I could think of are Magnum T.A. and maybe Nigel? But both of those are mostly health related. What about just complete misuse also?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Any conversation about the mishandling of Low-Ki needs to be prefaced with the fact that he is notoriously difficult and literally got dragged out kicking and screaming like a child from a wrestling show he was working once.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Is old school TNA and NWA/TNA looked back as the good ole days in hindsight and/or comparison? Or are they considered just as crappy?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

I remember him being in the ol' Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling cartoon and he's acknowledged as a WWF/E legend, but I hardly remember a thing about Hillbilly Jim and he's rarely ever mentioned. Is there any particular reason for him to have the reverence he has despite being, at least to me, a seemingly non-entity?

Although his tenure was short, Hillbilly Jim got booked as Hogans buddy when Hogan was getting over huge. There was also a time where he was often booked against the top heels of that era. Also being a comedy relief wrestler for his entire career endeared him a lot to many people who kinda over look his short, non-effectual run (see almost every nostalgic comedy wrestling act).

Being a real swell guy won't hurt your reputation either.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 19, 2013

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Steiner's belly to belly isn't bad, it's just really awkward.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Have there ever been other Suicide/Manik situations where a gimmick portrayed by multiple people changed gimmick names?

I know there is Tiger/Black Mask but do they really count when it's just a new number after the name?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

sk posted:

When's the last time someone lost after passing out in a rest hold, with the ref dropping their arm three times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ydLQNVPSY

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 20, 2013

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I feel like Booker T is really underrated as a worker. Anyone else here agree with me?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

I asked it a week ago or so, but what happened for Terry Taylor to get saddled with the Red Rooster gimmick? Not that I knew much about him, but he seemed talented and charismatic enough to get over.

Also, was there any particular reason why Koko B. Ware wasn't given much of a push? He seemed to fill a void left by JYD and was already over. Just seemed to me that they could have done a lot with him but nothing really materialized. I suspect it was just a matter of being lost in the shuffle of the roster they had at the time, but thought I'd inquire.

According to JBL the gimmick was a rib because Terry had heat for being a tattletale. Why the brass would punish someone for this, I don't really understand.

This is just one guys story though so it's hardly gospel. I always figured Rooster wasn't openly a rib, but rather an earnest idea from Vince and a test for Heenan to see if he could get any gimmick over. Also the 80's had many terrible gimmicks, not all of them by design.

Taylor works in WWE developmental now so I guess there are any hard feeling going around.

Koko B. Ware fell into the category of really over faces who WWF didn't intend to push so he jobbed to stars and big debuts for heat. Why didn't they push him? I'd guess a combination of his size and injuries.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

Haha thanks, this x pac shoot is ridiculous, the thought of Lesnar and Henning flying out of a plane is ridiculous

Locked up the whole way down.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Paulocaust posted:

Couple pages back, but I don't think there's any real prejudice towards black workers in WWE. They'll exploit anyone/anything to make money/get heat. Kofi and MVP never got their big pushes because they're decent to pretty good in the ring and average at best on the mic. The fact that Mark Henry made it as far as he has really says something because I still think that guy is a giant bore. Booker T could have been pushed a little harder in the early 2000s, but I feel the only black workers they really dropped the ball on were Bad News Brown and Shelton Benjamin. Brown was scary as gently caress and had a cool tweener, almost Austin-like gimmick, well before his time and even Andre wouldn't fight him for real after he said something racist about Brown on a bus. Shelton on the other hand was just a treat to watch in the ring. I wish they gave him a manager to be his mouthpiece (that wasnt a racist caricature) and pushed him to the moon. I still hold hope he'll come back and put on amazing matches with Bryan, Punk, Cesaro, etc... Some day

Brown was a lovely, lazy, worker and a difficult personality in booking. He wasn't a particularly good promo either. All he had going for him was his reputation but that never really translated into his wrestling career in a meaningful way. I wish he had, but in the end I think WWF did all they could with him.

Also, just saying, you said

Paulocaust posted:

I don't think there's any real prejudice towards black workers in WWE
followed by

Paulocaust posted:

I wish they gave him a manager to be his mouthpiece (that wasnt a racist caricature)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cody had that angle with Sin Cara where he claimed he was hideous under the mask (and had a ridiculous caricature to prove it).

In reality, when Del Rio pulled up his mask that one time he didn't look like much of a looker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Red posted:

I see this a lot, but really, who would've made sense as The Higher Power besides Vince?

Yes, Vince was a dumb reveal, but what would've worked in the context of the story?

And don't answer "anything". :colbert:

Taken from LOLWWE

Taimapedia.org posted:

Mick Foley -- The Higher Power hated Vince and Steve Austin. Foley fit this bill, as he feuded with Austin while serving as Vince's lackey in the guise of Dude Love, and Vince treated Foley no better than he treated Austin. Foley had a major reason to hate both men.

Jake "the Snake" Roberts -- Well known for his pronounced dark side, Roberts had a major reason to hate Austin: at King of the Ring 1996, Austin beat Roberts in the finals and mocked Roberts' Christian beliefs by uttering the immortal "Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your rear end!" line.

The Jackyl aka Don Callis, aka Cyrus of the last days of ECW fame. It made sense given The Jackyl's gimmick was of a charismatic cult leader with a flair for brainwashing wrestlers into becoming his followers, the occult religious symbolism he and his charges were decorated with and his previous segments where he'd promise to become the leader of the WWF and that "the revolution of The Jackyl is coming". In fact that may well have been the plan, but Jackyl/Callis was fired from the WWF mid-way into the angle."

Read their timeline of the angle if you want a good laugh.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 1, 2013