Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading something years ago about Raven having a bisexual relationship with Stevie Richards at some point, and possibly with other male wrestlers. Does any of that have any backing in reality or was I just reading it off some Rajah-esque site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Nah, pretty much bullshit. I imagine rumors got started because Raven was paying Stevie to run errands and stuff for him in ECW (because Raven was too drunk and high to get anything done), but I've never heard them from anyone who wasn't a terrible smark wrestling "journalist."

To be fair though Raven did have a threesome with Sandman. That'd probably be enough to turn anyone straight afterwards.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

"I can cultivate her into something even I could want!"
What was this from?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I don't know how I'd never seen that before. I remember the slap but not the aftermath

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How was the Hogan as Mr. America angle received? I wasn't watching from early 2002 until WMXX so I missed it completely, but it looked like it was too cheesy to work.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Eddie Kingston is different. He looks different, he talks different, he wrestles different. As a heel, he's like the neighborhood bully who thought he could get paid to pick on guys trying to moonsault him. As a face, he's like that guy who always got in fights and trouble that you just wanted to see turn out ok.

In the ring, he's decent, but his character is fantastic.

His promos are great because they are believable. He really knows his voice and his style. I think he's the one of the best promos today, better than 90% of the WWE roster.

These promos make me want to pay to see these matches. He's so loving unhinged, it's so captivating.
I saw Eddie Kingston wrestle Arik Cannon back in '07 and I came away WAY more impressed with Arik Cannon. And saying that I bet I just lost all Wrestlehut cred ever.

Edit: Actually it was '06 in Chikara.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 12, 2011

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

He's also a ginger with a Mohawk, but that doesn't take away from his skills. Look at how successful the Kings of Wrestling are right now, and try and think back when Arik Canon was in that faction, too.
Not a good argument. Icarus was in that group.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

Why has Paul London not gone back and done shows with Ring of Honor following his release from WWE?

Or done anything with Chikara?
I'm curious about this as well. Does London have some sort of bad blood with them? Or is he just not interested in traveling far from where he lives currently?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Danielson in RoH was a pretty good example of a tweener, with how he'd switch back and forth from playing a face (like against Morishima) and heel (like against Delirious) role from match to match depending on who he was facing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Huh, I never really made the connection that both TNA and ROH started in 2002, so they're both having their 10 year anniversaries this year.

Which one would you say had a better 10 years?
Hahaha. Decent joke.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 23, 2012

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got a friend (who hadn't really watched anything since '96-98 WCW) slightly interested in wrestling again by showing him a bunch of ROH matches, so I turned on the RoH TV show figuring it'd be cool. They had a cheesy god-awful American Wolves promo that felt like it went on forever and looked cheap as hell, and my friend just went "Yep. I'm starting to remember why I hate wrestling again."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How long did those men practice that man bike before taking it public

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glamorama26 posted:

Always heard that Bryan was more of a "survivalist" type and Kane happens to be of similar views. Not bad dudes at all, just have certain ideals that aren't "normal".

From how I've heard Bryan talk about it in interviews he knows the survivalist food-and-water storing thing is really goofy and he makes fun of himself for it, but it's just a thing he started doing just in case. He's well aware of what an odd quirk it is and how people are right to view it as a little wacky.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember some story/urban legend about a wrestler in the 80's masturbating under a glass table while a hooker took a poo poo on it, and a tag team walking in on it and one of them barfing and another staying to watch. I don't remember who the dude jerking off was, but I want to say the tag team was the Killer Bees. Anyone care to help clarify the details of this obviously important story?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice, thanks. Don't know why I interjected the Killer Bees in there.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

Just imagine a guy with a lazy eye watching a hooker poo poo while jimmy valiant jerks off.

Easy now, I just wanted to know the bare basics not pop a chubby myself

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Devil Child posted:

Nobody was really "trained" by HBK at TWA. He was still a hot mess. DBD's style isn't even anything like HBK's, so even if he actually taught anyone their, I really don't think it had that much of an effect on the Yes Man's career.

The only reason they bring up Regal and HBK in the same context for DBD even though Regal had an infinitely bigger job in training DBD is because HBK's an infinitely bigger star than Regal. It makes DBD sound more important without actually dismissing who had the bigger job training him.

Yeah I don't remember where this idea originally came from but it doesn't seem to be true at all. Bryan's given a few interviews over the past year or so directly saying HBK was there and on hand with training every single day and that he was a pretty great guy to the students as well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why was the WWF so willing to work with outside groups back in the mid-to-late 90s? They partnered up with ECW and the NWA and I think even worked wtih one of the bigger Japanese feds (AJPW? NJPW?) a little bit before. I feel like after the Invasion they've basically just acted like other feds don't exist as a whole, by why were they so open to it at that specific time period?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zyla posted:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-greatest-unscripted-disasters-in-pro-wrestling/

fun little cracked article.

Sad no lesnar/holly entry though.

One of the comments in the section claims JBL threw semen in Palmer Cannon's face. I'm pretty sure that's not true, but anyone know what the hell that's about? I'm aware Palmer Cannon quit because of hazing but I don't remember jizz assaults being involved.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 25, 2013

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Not as bad as a lot of this stuff, but Billy and Chuck have to get an honorable mention here.

Yeah I was rewatching the "Bischoff as elderly pastor/priest" segment because it's probably the coolest thing he's ever done on screen and it was ridiculously uncomfortable how hostile the crowd and announcers were being. It probably would've been worse in the 90s but I can't imagine even Vince risking a "look at these fags" gimmick now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Shane Douglas loving sucks.

I don't think I've ever finished him vs. Pitbull 2 from Barely Legal and I watched that entire event dozens of times. It was a VHS, but even then it felt like an hour being bored while fast forwarding through it

Edit: and now that i checked the wiki page whoever was writing the matches out gave up after having to transcribe that one apparently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECW_Barely_Legal#Preliminary_matches

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 5, 2014

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I can envision HHH "promoting" Hero to the main roster as Cheeseburger Hero or Chris Burger or something, and his gimmick is that he likes fast food.

"You don't like this burger? Well, then I guess you don't like me!" /smashes burger into opponent's face

Edit: Before future endeavoring Hero, of course

They could always just do this with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-fwKuG_1ag

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I had no idea what anyone was trying to describe before that video. I remember that move cause I used to give it to my CAWs in the first smackdown game

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

epitasis posted:

T was fine to work with piper is just a nutcase

Pipers gotta be up there in the "most full of poo poo wrestler" rankings right? Most of the time he's talking about the past he just sounds like a braindead alcoholic making things up out of thin air. Has anyone ever called him out for it?

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 24, 2014

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Can I pay Necrobutcher and Colt Cabana to tickle each other

Colt Cabana has tickled people in matches before, and I have a feeling butcher would do just about anything for money at this point. I think your (admittedly sexy) dream could become a reality

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

I guess my question that doesn't deserve a thread is why in the gently caress are people still hiring the ring announcer from PRIDE? She is absolutely loving terrible and always has been.

This is one of the legit worst opinions I've ever seen posted

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The worst is probably any sloppy indy burning hammer variation

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

super macho dude posted:

Exactly. Its not news till its news. WWE wishes Heath Slater best of luck in his future endeavor.

it's not good to wish rapists good luck

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

... America-lovin' ghoul?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xerzes posted:

The last I remember hearing about it was Colt or MVP saying a year or two ago that they got paid for the shows they did. There was never much word on what happened with the footage. The twitter for the company and the guy running it have been silent since 2012.

Was the wrestling Revolution guy the money mark who was funding it with lottery money or whatever? If so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it collapsed cause he was throwing money to the wind on tons of other stuff that wasn't sustainable and it caught up with him quick

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

Did Big John Studd ever win a title? It says on his wiki page that he was a WWWF World Tag Champ in a team with Killer Kowalski, but I see no record of that either on the Wiki page for the title's history or the WWE's official list.

Related to this: I don't know a single thing about Big John Studd except that he was huge, had a bodyslam match with Andre and was in the 2014 WWE game. was he just big but lovely considering no one ever talks about him?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What led to Goldust being released from the WWF in '99? Drug problems?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rovert posted:

He famously pitched getting breast implants around the same time in a desperate attempt to revitalise his act.

I remember his marilyn manson-ish stuff near the end of his run but that couldn't have possibly actually been a thing, right? hasn't he been quoted as saying he was pretty uncomfortable with the more bisexual/trans stuff they had him do?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

The Worm

Woah there

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Halloween Jack do you wipe your rear end with towels

The role of Halloween Jack will be played by Jerri Blank

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I always liked Devitt coming out to "You're the Best". Also obvious, but still funny, is Danielson coming out to Final Countdown.

I only got to see Danielson live once (during tie-gate against Shingo in Philly) and he didn't even get to do the entrance, it was probably the most disappointing thing ever. There wasn't even a good excuse for it they just skipped it for no reason :argh:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

But that, in turn, ruins the magic of Dynamite Kid really being an even bigger psychopath than Matt Hughes.

Dynamite Kid at least had to know he was totally evil and hosed up, Hughes thinks being a horrifying psychopath is just good old country boy antics

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Was Taker even that big of an MMA fan in '98?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Angular Landbury posted:

An agreement to never do any more comedy shows.

I'm going to his show in Harrisburg next week with my old roommate and it's not being promoted as a comedy show on his site, seems more like it's just him telling wrestling stories and anecdotes and Q&A stuff which sounds pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

if you've ever seen a Henry Rollins spoken word show its the same basic thing but with sweatpants

I could handle that