Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Comedy is what he does BEST, but he's perfectly capable of "serious mode" and even hardcore (see: "Konnan's bitch, Homicide").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
NOAH had a DQ for KENTA's heel turn (smashed Shiozaki w/ chair), but when he overthrew his stable leader it was by a ref bump, chairshotting his teammate, then dragging the opponent over the teammate... and the ref just counted along while everyone was in the ring.

Not sure what exactly was the stipulation, but KENTA vs. SUWA (jr title 9/18/05) had a DQ for excess weapon use, then got restarted but had MORE weapon use... and a ref bump.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So unless a match was booked to have a DQ finish, the wrestlers can go do whatever?

Would explain Genba Hirayanagi's career anyway.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'll go with SHIMMER on that, since you didn't specify major promotions only...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

George Kaplan posted:

I love when people go on a rant and put something like "had an open marriage" in between genuine reasons to dislike a guy. What harm did that do to anyone?

(yes, I am aware that the Warrior is religious enough to believe that its a sin to have sex outside your marriage)
Approaching it from a non-religious perspective: Encouraging her to have sex with other wrestlers couldn't POSSIBLY have helped them maintain a stable marriage as opposed to *ahem* ALIMONEY... (That's not a typo.)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

The line is kind of blurry on both ends between one protected finisher being part of a gimmick or too broad to be a single class, but the below are arguable.

Master of the Small Package: Bryan Danielson
You mean "MISTER Small Package!"
:colbert:

Also, how is "Chopbashi" (not my term) not on this list?

P.S. Captain Charisma, who's the avatar? (Or rather, the artist.)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I made it myself, actually
Thanks, but I mean who actually drew the woman (I assume)? Based on that, I assume(d) Mitsuteru Yokoyama...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Re: Sordid stories -- I have no idea how you'd reenact the "Koji Kanemoto, ephebophile" one.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Last I heard, Khali was still keeping kayfabe (that pro wrestling isn't a work) in India.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Make that seven kicks (four of them being the spin kick that was supposed to be the finish) and a standing guillotine choke or "front face lock" (or so the katakana claimed) that he held until the ref pulled him off.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For the benefit of Damonic, THIS IS NEW JAPAN

Addendum: ROH does have questionable booking decisions at times, but the book is currently in generally-considered good hands.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember Jeff blowing spots lef right and centre before he got fired, which is alo why he got booed in ROH, he tried to do his rail walk and fell on his rear end.
He was getting booed during his entrance, and I remember the commentators even remarking on that but attributing it to a line in his book where he'd said that he'd lost his passion for the business.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

Yup. Harley Race talked about it a little when the Benoit concussion stuff began to come out.
Something along the lines of "I wish I'd never invented that loving move."

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For perspective: For one night (I guess the week after the attack on Cena), wasn't Wade Barrett treated by the crowd as "the ace" top heel?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

If any diva would actually take a steroid, if they also take birth control pills I'm pretty sure it would mask it. It's why Manny Ramirez was suspended from baseball (they found estrogen, not testosterone). I know he wasn't taking BC pills, but was the same principle. Or something.

As for my question, has any every used a gun as a prop, and used in a threatening manner? Other than Austin's fake one with the bang flag of course?
Brian Pillman's home invasion by Austin.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Quarex posted:

I am not entirely convinced that TNA would be able to surpass the WWE in the ratings even if they had all of the top guys jump ship. I mean, have the ratings ever changed, no matter how many ostensibly popular people have gone from WWE to TNA?
Well, part of the problem is that Kurt Angle was really the best that TNA was ever able to grab from WWE -- both in terms of ring work and name power -- and it's all been downhill from there.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
"Up there," but I feel that Kurt Angle was the apex of what TNA brought in, in terms of feeling like "a big deal" without the "WWE cast-off" stigma.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Perigryn posted:

And then there's the time Flair had a kayfabe heart attack on Nitro and they were trying to convince everyone in the back that it was real.
In fairness, the kayfabe heart attack looked more realistic than a Death Note-style one.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
No, but in addition to multiple lawmakers (both ruling and opposition), the National Security Bureau chief and commanders (chiefs of staff?) of the Polish army, air force and navy were all on that one plane along with the President. :stare:

Here's the list, though it comprises non-VIPs as well.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Perigryn posted:

Supposedly he's a fan of The Miz...but then why was he booked like crap during his title run?
One rumor I've heard was that at least one of Miz's "buried" runs was after Maryse refused to go out with a writer (who happened to be able to book the Miz).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Grandpa Pap posted:

As long as Linda McMahon decides she wants to pursue some kind of serious political career, WWE will never return to a PG-13 or more "mature" style of product. Vince has even said as much in recent days (about not turning away from PG stuff, not the Linda political thing).
The "giving Linda's political opponents ammo" ship sailed as far back as the Attitude Era, really.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I guess there was a pretty clear heel in that situation. Bad example.
There was SUPPOSED to be an "I'm with Cap/"I'm with Tony" dynamic -- Mark Millar was personally "I'm with Tony" -- but unfortunately a bunch of the other writers disagreed with the very premise behind the Marvel Civil War*, hence the clear heeling.

* I find that Marvel writers seem to not do moral ambiguity enough for my own tastes in comic book reading.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Not that I can recall, but Rikidozan and Kintaro Oki were Korean.
Oki yes, while Rikidozan was born in Japanese-occupied Korea but raised Japanese.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Not surprising, that's consistent with the pervasive belief that Benoit never mentally recovered from Eddie's death.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

KENTA is usually credited with creating it and that's where Punk lifted it from. KENTA also has used an inverted version before and it's nasty business.
Let's put it this way -- when he sat Kenta Kobashi (facing outward) on the turnbuckle and started putting him into the Argentine backbreaker position, the crowd "oh poo poo"'d because they thought that KENTA was using the Burning Hammer... then KENTA dropped Kobashi off of his shoulders for a knee to the back of the head :black101:

For context re: the Burning Hammer, here's all seven of them.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

"No, he's taking the piss, Inoki isn-oh what the hell."

Muhammed Hussain Inoki.

I guess he already considers himself over most other gods, I guess he had to find another one.
Googled a bunch of Google results for him claiming to have accepted Islam.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay it was an undeniably lovely finish but holy Christ you did not just put it in the same breath as Starrcade, did you? Starrcade '97 was arguably the very very beginning of the end for WCW.
In fairness, he said worst since Hogan/Sting at Starrcade '97.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I thought Davey Richards was the lamest dude on the planet when he first came to ROH.

These days everybody hates him because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I still think he's pretty cool v:shobon:v
At this point my give-a-poo poo for Davey Richards more or less stems from the American Wolves and Eddie Edwards.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

It's really weird when I remember English isn't Steen's first language.
And here's what he sounds like in his first language!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhztWxJ3X8

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

So any move can be a finisher if you botch badly enough?
That's not the only reason... KO'ing Inoki did it for Hogan, but as far as puro goes, (on top of that) Stan Hansen's Western Lariat is the reason for LARIATOOOOOO~

There is the famous Ganso Bomb, admittedly... and apparently the piledriver was also a botched powerbomb?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Misawa was taking the same dumb head and neck bumps he'd always taken having been diagnosed a few years earlier with neck problems comparable to those that forced the retirement of people like Steve Austin, DDP, and Edge. It was common knowledge he shouldn't have been continuing to wrestle in anything more than the Giant Baba comedy role, but he did because he "needed" to for business.
More specifically, I suspect that on top of that bumping, particular injuries prevented him from working out, which worsened his physical condition even moreso, and by 2009 NOAH's fortunes had already soured because he'd utterly failed at getting the younger generation over enough to replace the veterans as draws, hence him still "needing" to go out there every night for instead of resting and recovering despite the extent of his physical condition having become visible (I remember "frog" jokes before he passed).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

BillyMays posted:

Brock did not give a gently caress when he was their champ and the matches were bleh at best.
Thankfully he was at the tail end of INOKISM~

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Liger did a shootfight at one point...with the Liger mask on. It did not go well.
It gets funnier (or worse): His opponent was Minoru Suzuki. Seriously.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 6, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

NienNunb posted:

What exactly happened? I heard Inoki is carny as hell, so this should be pretty bad.
Imagine if Brawl-For-All had been a recurring thing.

Seriously though, see what Solomonic said, with the added detail(s) that at one point Bob Sapp and Tadao Yasuda of all people were IWGP Heavyweight Champions (and as much as the New Japan roster and bookers may want to forget their existence, that guarantees them spots in the pre-match "IWGP hebikyu lineage" video) and INOKISM~ resulted in Yuji Nagata's twenty seconds in the ring with fuckin' Mirko Cro Cop... then two years later to the very day, a minute in the ring with Fedor Emelianenko... both for the reasons that Solomonic described.

Both of those cards were named INOKI Bom-Ba-Ye, by the way (2001 and 2003 respectively). Oh, and that's before we get into Inoki's other "hybrid cards" with pro wrestlers in shoots (Brawl-For-All style) or even both shoots and works on the same card... and at one point he was promoting them under the NJPW Ultimate Crush banner.

INOKISM~ is also why Laughter7 wasn't taken well (not least because they were signed behind Jado and Gedo's back apparently as the "MMA invaders") led to Sakuraba and Shibata's defeats at Wrestle Kingdom VII and Kidani's departure from the chairmanship of New Japan after that, though of course Sakuraba's been used sparingly while interestingly enough Shibata seems to have either redeemed himself in the fans' eyes or he's just proven that much more willing to prove himself as a pro wrestler. Heck, at one point I heard that last year he was being booked as being overly stiff and uncooperative as a worker specifically to make him more of a heel to Japanese smarks.

Solomonic posted:

I think a lot of this might've stemmed from personal insecurity on his part. He wasn't taken seriously in MMA due to being a pro wrestler so he wanted to defend wrestling from 'outside incursions' and so on.
There's also the years-before UWFi invasion and "feud" that started with UWFi calling out NJPW, AJPW and other promotions for being worked (despite the fact of course that UWFi was no less worked) although that one was basically won by New Japan because they had the leverage to book the thing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It should be added that the whole reason that Nakamura in his pre-SWAG days got the "supernova" push was because he managed to survive more than five minutes with a Gracie... only to run into a Belarusian kickboxer's knee face first on a K-1 hybrid (both kickboxing-only and MMA bouts) card, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw Nakamura run into Sakuraba's knee this year at Wrestle Kingdom VII.

And that's even before getting into this story that at one point Nakamura plotted to shoot on Naoya Ogawa (for Ogawa's creative control hurting New Japan's business earlier in the 2000s, and Ogawa was already hated by New Japan fans -- though he may have simply been the scapegoat for the nascent INOKISM~) at the Osaka Dome in mid-November 2004, that Inoki actually embezzled a whopping 70% of Kendo Kashin's pay for that show, and that Inoki may have been venting his frustrations (over the show's business) by beating up Nakamura after the main event... only for Nakamura to come very close to shooting back.

In fairness, Shibata's basically been "accepted back" after proving himself... and how.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
From what I recall of the mid-2000s, NOAH tried putting over the young guys during the collaborating days with ROH, the problem being that the fans just wouldn't loving take to whoever the bookers picked. Hell, Kobashi's legendary two-year run at the top with the GHC Heavyweight Championship? It coincided with some of the worst of INOKISM~ yet of all of the people to finally defeat him, it was Takeshi Rikiou. If you have no idea who that is... that's why it was a bad call.

Likewise, there was Takeshi Morishima, who had a nice run in ROH in 2007 which seems like it was meant to prepare him to succeed Misawa... but by then (early 2008) the fans I don't recall being any closer to Morishima than they had been before, and by then I'd say that all of the Four Heavenly Kings of NOAH (Misawa, Taue, Kobashi and Akiyama) had long ago lost their star-making power.

Hell, I still remember NOAH blowing the Marufuji vs. KENTA heavyweight title matchup right off the bat only to saddle it with a lovely card (some speculate that it was to test how well the two would draw on their own) and it sank so hard that Misawa panic-booked the belt back onto himself, all within the same three months or so where Marufuji had won the belt in the first place in his surprise flash pin of Akiyama.

Though with AJPW it just seems more that they never recovered from both the split and Mutou's early tenure.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Also NOAH didn't seem to have have a rookie for like a 3 year period it felt like.
... apparently Hitoshi Kumano entered NOAH's training camp/dojo in late May 2012 and his debut in early January 2013 made him the first NOAH rookie to debut in over seven years... and his record as of right now appears to be a whopping 0-for-53.
:psyduck:
Here's a pessimistic look at the state of NOAH as of 2013.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 7, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

John Cena posted:

what is the grossest lariat ever

post video
Here's one from Riki Choshu to Katsuyori Shibata at 1:11... pay attention to the landing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjH5gu73rog

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Why would a street fight favor Meng more? He's still going to be held down and beaten up by a wrestler. "OH BUT HE COULD BITE YOU." So could Brock. He can also headbutt and well, just beat the poo poo out of you while you lay on your back chomping at air. The rules exist to keep people from killing each other. Do you think that if you suddenly take away the rules that these guys would be at a disadvantage? Tell that to the group of dudes Hendo and Couture beat the poo poo out of in a street fight.

Dan Severn was older than Meng when he fought in UFC. Meng may have had a long wrestling career, but Severn had an incredibly long, grueling amateur career on top of a professional career. The early UFCs were full of dudes in their 30s and 40s who had been doing other stuff, including pro wrestling. He didn't enter any UFCs because he knew any trained fighters with ground experience would humiliate him.
Just adding that one of the first things that I learned in my very brief time learning BJJ was to never try and cheat your way to escaping the bottom: because the other guy could cheat even better from the top.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Thauros posted:

They've been struggling for a long time and their new owner who complains about "fixed results", wants his guys to to MMA (this poo poo was disastrous for NJPW last decade), and is now booking himself to wrestle later this month without any experience or training doesn't seem to helping things.

Keiji Mutoh lost a power struggle a few months ago with the new ownership and with a significant portion of their roster left to form a new promotion named Wrestle-1 which further hurt their roster depth and split their fanbase. Now they seem to be drawing even less then NOAH from reading the Observer results.
I'd dare suggest that AJPW never really recovered from the "NOAH split" where AJPW lost everyone that wasn't a gaijin, Masanobu Fuchi or Toshiaki Kawada in 2000, and from what I hear Keiji Mutou's early-2000s booking of the company cemented their "never going to be #1" status, so they've been just going along until the recent buy-out and the new owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

NJPW fans hate anyone who isn't in NJPW full-time.
This is how face/heel alignments can be determined in New Japan.