Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

So, I stopped watching wrestling in 2002, watched from 96 on, adored ECW, wrote full time at xwrestling.com. I've been brought back by the grantland articles about CM Punk, and have rekindled my love affair with wrestling.

I've been trying to catch up a bit on the time I missed, can someone explain the Edge/Lita thing to me? What the gently caress was with the booking there? How did they get away with all of that? I find myself :psyduck: the entire thing and can't believe it all happened.

So my questions are simple:

What the gently caress?
How the gently caress was this ok?
What kind of drugs was McMahon on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Just watching some of these videos it seemed a lot more explicit than even in the attitude era. The "live sex" segment was...uncomfortable to watch. I don't think I've seen WWE programming that overtly sexual.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I hated that name so much at first. Thought it was so drat corny.

Edge said that at first the WWE didn't want him to use the name either, but then he put the logo on his tights, pads, boots, everything, so they just gave up and went with it. Not sure if that was true, but it's a funny story.

I think workers should realize that as long as it moves merch it is probably fine.

Eh, I don't know if it was on the same level as the Val Venis stuff which was kinda campy and funny, this was just like...ok so they're actually "loving" in the middle of the ring, this is kinda creepy.

So some of you said there were worse things? I'm afraid to ask for links...But, lets rip this bandaid off.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Oatgan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcBOB_xGW5I

-edit-

gently caress, beaten twice!

:stare: :stare: :stare:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

"Why are you doing this?"
- Johnathan Coachman, asking the question probably everyone wanted to ask Vince but was too afraid

I saw Coach on Sportscenter and it kinda messed with my head.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I was reading in the 3 year recap thread that Wade Barrett was a main eventer for a long time? What happened to get him so buried?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

In other words, he got a mega push, WWE botched his heat and is now back to trying to redevelop said heat.

Vinces gonna Vince, then?

I like CM Punk's shoot where he said "McMahon is a millionaire who should be a billionaire." A true statement if I've ever heard one.

edit:

Oh this is magical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duzwm9GWSN8&feature=related

bean mom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 29, 2011

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I seem to remember hearing that they have a choice between comped airfare or comped hotels, so a lot of guys choose hotels and then drive everywhere so they'll spend less. I don't remember the context so take it with a grain of salt.

That's crazy. All of that should be comped for everyone on the traveling show. I'm not surprised but it's crazy to me.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

MassRanTer posted:

It's not true. The reason wrestlers drive is because most of the tour is within the same region, so you fly in from where you live, do a show, drive to show #2, drive to show #3 and fly home. The world champions get first class airfare for when they fly as well as other established main eventers. There doesn't seem to be a science behind exactly who gets that full time.

This makes a lot more sense, thanks.

I just always imagined them like a giant band and crew, just one with like, 75 members.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsxtGBMQGq4

Its funny to me how many of the dance moves when the dancing starts resemble lucha moves and chain wrestling.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

whoops wrong forum!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

The quality of austin's matches went to utter poo poo near the end. He was so immobile from the knee injuries that it was painful to watch him go through his matches at the end. Everyone's marking out for the idea of punk/austin but austin is far more immobile than taker at this point. It would probably be 5*'s promo wise but 2* wrestling product

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

If anyone's REALLY bored, like, REALLY bored, someone linked me a cultural studies PHD candidate's Dissertation on WWE. I haven't read it all yet, and there's some hilarious glaring errors so far, but it might be a fun read for some of you.

http://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1056&context=cgu_etd

quote:

Stylizing, Commodifying, and Disciplining Real Bodies:
An Examination of WWE Wrestling

A dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Claremont Graduate University
in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of
Doctor of Philosophy in Cultural Studies

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lawyer tiem:

adapted from another guy because writing it out is difficult for me at the moment:

As a rule, personal names are considered to lack sufficient distinctiveness to serve as a trademark. As such, they offer little to no protection for brands that consist of them. Under the law, they are characterized similarly to descriptive marks.*

Personal names are only capable of trademark registration if they acquire “secondary meaning”. Secondary meaning is a legal term of art. In some cases, it may be assumed by five years of continuous and exclusive use with specific goods or services. But this “continuous and exclusive” rule of thumb is an imperfect and imprecise one. In reality, broad protection for personal name trademarks comes from a combination of notoriety, advertising and longstanding continuous and exclusive use. These factors combine to transform a personal name in the mind of the public into a brand. Of course, this transformation can be greatly aided by the wise counsel of a good trademark lawyer, who ensures that i’s get their dots and t’s win their crosses at the appropriate times.

If a certain amount of notoriety attaches to a personal name and registrations are handled properly, latecomers with the same or similar names may be prohibited from using their names in a commercial context.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

Actually, "loose, sloppy and lovely" are pretty good descriptions of most of Miz's in-ring work.

You posted my post before I could post :(

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1jJ45DVnU

this doesnt deserve its own thread or any other mention really

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-greatest-unscripted-disasters-in-pro-wrestling/

fun little cracked article.

Sad no lesnar/holly entry though.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

So what? It is known that its the one indy that they will get paid and treated right.

there's a lot to hate about ICP but they treat their workers really well.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

How about the Voice of the Voiceless?

That never ended up going anywhere beyond being a way for punk to heel it up.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

what the everliving gently caress was quack thinking

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I get what quack was trying to do with this angle but its

1. Waaaaay too meta for most wrestling fans
2. Literally insane to intentionally alienate your biggest fans on the company's fan page.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I love how betrayed he looks when he finally realizes sheamus ditched him.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Is this show comedy spots, or was this just a comedy match?
As a comedy match, I thought it was entertaining.

SMS has more comedy matches that it does regular matches. There's so many old school classic comedy spots they use every week, its such a throwback of a show.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

ZDar Fan posted:

This made me picture Bo in a bubble bath, so now I hate you forever

Don't you mean the Bo-bble bath?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I want as much as Peter McNeeley got to fight comeback Tyson, adjusted for inflation. Then I'd chicken out like McNeeley should have.

Excuse me, but that's "Hurricane" Peter McNeeley, who promised that he would wrap Tyson in his "cocoon of horrors"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd always known him as the slow-in-the-head, 2x4 waving super patriot, but I've heard from a few places recently that Hacksaw Jim Duggan was not someone to trifle with. As in, approaching Haku levels of "don't gently caress with this guy." Could anybody elaborate on this?

well, that 2x4 used to be a tree.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

ECW got around that problem by having Motorhead cover Enter Sandman. I have no idea why WWE couldn't do this too, given Lemmy is Triple H's best buddy and all.

That doesn't quite get around it. Metallica still presumably has songwriter's copyright, so they can still nix it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YvDfiAXT8

can someone explain some of this?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I mean I see joey ryan so

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

He's a pro wrestler and its a song about a pro wrestler

I don't understand.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I think I'm just drunk and everything amazes me.

carry on :smith:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Do you think that Christian will get a Hall of Fame induction separate of a (guaranteed) Edge and Christian entry?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

So, imagine this

You wake up and suddenly find yourself in a wrestling ring and steve austin has a microphone and two beers. He offers you one.

What do you do?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

I'd just take the beer

smh if taking a beer stunner isn't one of your life's dreams

correct answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

My wrestling question is when do you all find the free time to watch all these other federations and the old stuff too? I seem to have a hard limit of 4 hours a week and then Wrestling disgusts me.