Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
That's just how it works sometimes, this isn't a phenomena unique to wrestling. You may as well induct the other half of High Energy, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
"I stick a knife in the stomach, of people who don't want to be cool."

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

ColeM posted:

Does Triple H still draw?

I think the concept of "drawing" has long been dead and buried, at least as far as WWE is concerned. Considering that the WWE itself IS the draw, it's really irrelevant.

He still sells lots of merchandise so probably!

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I faintly recall that the McMahons used to pay themselves a performer salary, but that they stopped a few years ago. I want to say that the Wellness Policy had something to do with this decision, but that could just have been idle speculation.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Grant DaNasty posted:

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

Does Vladimir Kozlov count?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
So, besides Sheamus, who else has won a world title on their first try? I'm pretty sure Kane and Goldberg have, and the Rock, if you want to count the Survivor Series tournament.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Shitty_Wok posted:

My favorite wrestler is Kane, and I found a series of youtube vids about the story of Undertaker's secret, and how Paul Bearer threatened to reveal it, etc. It seems like a really elaborate build for the character, and I'm wondering what other wrestlers have had extended intros to their characters? The next closest thing I can think of is before Tazz was brought over, the room would glow orange and that went on for a couple weeks, but wasn't anywhere near as elaborate.

There was the countdown to the Millennium, and I guess a month's worth of Kizarny vignettes.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Matt Hardy's had "I WILL SLAM A TORNADO" for a long time too, hasn't he?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Minidust posted:

We're deep in the PG era now, but what was the most profane segment ever in mainstream wrestling, language-wise? (old ECW doesn't count as mainstream)

I guess only stuff that was actually spoken into a live mic should count. The naughtiest stuff I can think of was wasted on a random Diva Search segment and a Kid Rock concert. Other than that, there was Bret's infamous tirade right before Wrestlemania 13. Also from around 2000-2003, they seemed to make a point of saying "poo poo" on major WWE PPVs.

There was one episode of Nitro where Bret Hart went on a similar tirade, and the usually hypersensitive censors at TNT must have taken the night off.

Does anyone remember or have a transcript of William Regal's promo where he talks about how brutal and savage the British are historically known to be?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Because we don't buy enough merchandise.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anKWu5QW8TE

Basically it's mistimed.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Does anyone else just not get the same feeling from modern WWE as they did from the attitude era? I mean obviously they are two totally different era's with totally different tones, but there's something that I can't put my finger on not just from the attitude era but really anything before it that is missing in WWE now. When I watch older wrestling I'm actually engrossed in the story to the point where I can suspend my disbelief but when I watch contemporary WWE programming, the whole time I think of it outside of kayfabe.

I blame the transition effects they use between scenes rather than the jump cuts. Back then it was still being produced like a wrestling show, rather than today where it is written mostly by TV writers to be as much like a regular TV show as possible.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7bq0q_chris-jericho-vs-jim-neidhart_sport

Does this match count? I have no idea what the gently caress happened at the end there.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Kurt Angle made his in-ring debut at the 1999 Survivor Series. Also if you're just counting WWE debuts, I'm pretty sure Booker T first showed up to interfere in the Jericho/Austin/Benoit match at KOTR 2001.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

Have any wrestlers worked for WWE, WCW, ECW, and TNA? ECW and WCW only count when they were separate from WWE.

Jim Cornette showed up in ECW as part of the WWF invasion angle, and ICP have made appearances for all four, if you want to count those.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
The only wrestler to even get close to that kind of heat in this century is John Cena at the second One Night Stand.

Otherwise, in North America you'd have to look all the way back to the days when Ox Baker started a riot in Cleveland by repeatedly heart punching Ernie Ladd.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Timby posted:

That would be about seven months after his February debut, which still wouldn't beat Brock (five months) or Sheamus (six months).

It's a few days old and probably nobody cares anymore, but if the dates on Wikipedia are to be believed, Yokozuna has Brock beaten by a matter of days.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
MVP beat Chris Benoit in this fashion, I believe.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
1. WCW never really had good entrance music for everybody until Russo showed up. My memory is foggy, but crowds would usually pop when they saw the wrestler themselves, rather than for the entrance. The main exceptions were the main-event players like DDP, Goldberg, Flair, and the nWo itself.

2. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega in PWG.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Well, I mean, there's Doink, but I can't think of any actual legacy masked characters in American wrestling. Maybe like when they do "The New" versions of tag teams, which never gets over?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Chunky Delight posted:

I remember on my local UPN affiliate that they would show a women's wrestling league on Saturday afternoons. I don't remember the names of anyone but each lady had a silly gimmick like a country girl, jungle girl, goth girl, secret agent girl, etc.
The last episode I saw several years back they were plugging a PPV and were going to get Bobby Heenan to be a guest commentator.

What was the name of this league? How did it go under? Did they have any wrestlers that went on to have careers in Shimmer or anywhere else? Or was it all my imagination?

This was indeed WOW - Women of Wrestling, from David McLane, who was responsible for GLOW and other 80s cheeseball cheesecake. I think one of the lifeguards bombed out of WWF developmental, and a few of them resurfaced in Wrestlicious, baby!

The wrestling was mostly all bad, but Riot was awesome, and Selena Majors and Thug had a really great match that one time.

The PPV was fun because Bobby Heenan gave no fucks about anything and just cracked jokes the whole time. I'm pretty sure that show bankrupted them, though.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Wasn't Edge's first title given to him only because Cena was injured at the time? And then when it turned out Cena wasn't hurt as bad as they thought, they put the title back on him?

You're thinking of Mr. Kennedy and the Money in the Bank contract.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Try Wal-Mart or something.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I'm guessing it's for posterity, like how they edit out the sponsor messages on DVD and blur out Mike Tyson on WM14 footage.

I think you do see that in places like TNA and AAA, however.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Foley's earlier books only really fit within the time they were released. Nitro and WCW have been gone for over a decade, nobody remembers the Mean Street Posse or Al Snow, and I'm pretty certain that Test doesn't have the look of a main eventer these days.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I seem to remember WCW had a bunch of popular tunes remixed for certain wrestlers such as DDP, but I'm trying to remember a particular one. It was very similar to Offspring - The Meaning of Life but I can't remember who had it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDyUHrEDzc

Sounds like the theme that WCW Tag Team Champions Palumbo and O'Haire had during the Invasion.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

They start to go down after Austin turns heel, then go back up during the Invasion. Then after everyone realizes it's not going to get any better, they crash.

9/11 happened in there too, don't forget. I think that would account for the massive drop-off after Summerslam in 2001, at any rate.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

Another random question: When stealing finishers was all the rage in the Attitude era, did Triple H ever eat a Pedigree?

I recall Owen hit him with a couple, as well.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
He was most recently accused of ripping off some memorabilia company to the tune of 30 grand.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Quasipox posted:

Who made the quickest turn from heel to face or vice versa?

What were the circumstances and how long did it take?

These might be hard to answer, but to narrow it down a bit, I'm talking total flip and not a tweener thing.

Bret Hart turned face and then turned heel on the same episode of Nitro.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
There was Christopher Daniels / Curry Man in TNA.

Timby posted:

Shawn Michaels had Sweet Chin Music banned for his match with Orton at Survivor Series 2007 after Michaels had spent like two months just kicking Orton's head in at every opportunity.

I liked this match because it had Shawn pulling out every finisher he could think of to try and win, including the Crippler Crossface to a hilariously awkward crowd reaction.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
WCW did not have a mind for longevity.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
There was one between Shad and JTG at some Extreme Rules recently, right?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

So during Extreme Rules (and many times before) I've seen people quote "CAN YA FEEL YA TOES?" What's the origin of that phrase?

I think this was during the stretcher job Vince did at the conclusion of the McMahon's Millions giveaway.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

triplexpac posted:

What's the biggest wrestling angle that ended up fizzling out & not actually going anywhere?

Who is Vince McMahon's illegitimate child? Oh it's Hornswoggle, here's five months of TV time leading to a JBL/Finlay Wrestlemania match.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Oh God What posted:

Is this Ric Flair's version, where it's just a senton against his longtime rival the ring mat, or...?

The "I'm going to jump and smash my face onto your extended foot as you lie on the mat" I believe.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

I understand that by the time that wrestling really hit it big in the mid-80's, Andre the Giant was just a shell of his former self. Did he have any really good matches earlier in his career that are worth watching?

He had some really good matches with Stan Hansen

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Red posted:

- Survivor Series 1998: Shane McMahon is about to count 3 in favor of Austin against Mankind, but gives him two middle fingers instead of a 3.

That wasn't the finish. :colbert:

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Has any two wrestlers just gone off script and had an amazing/horrid match on live tv?

If so what was the consequence?

Rick Martel was booked to win a match against Booker T at Superbrawl 1998, and immediately have a match against Perry Saturn, but got hurt during the first match so Booker T and Saturn had to have an impromptu match and call it on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Red posted:

I kind of hope the blue WWF cage returns, but I doubt it. :smith:

Considering that the wrestlers hate taking bumps against it because it has no give, and it takes ages for the crew to assemble it as opposed to simply lowering it from the ceiling, I don't think we'll ever see the bars-style cage in WWE again.