Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

MassRayPer posted:

looks horrible taking offense.

This is something that I remember being a major bone of contention with my friends whenever we had discussions about pro wrestlers. I am by no stretch of the imagination a Mark Henry fan, but how the hell does he get better at selling offense without it looking absolutely ridiculous? I don't buy a man like that trying to sell clotheslines like Rikishi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up Katie Vick

My actual reaction:

Oh man, I remember that name, it was definitely bad. But I can't...

*memory click*

:psypop:

I PURPOSELY REPRESSED THAT! gently caress!!!!

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Triple-Kan posted:

Bad News Brown used the Ghetto Blaster, which I'm pretty sure was an enziguri.
It was always awkward to see. A man with his build, and generally used a geric punch/chop/clothesline moveset, out of nowhere doing a cartwheel-like motion to kick someone in the back of the head.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Moose Bigelow posted:

You misspelled Hank Scorpio.

:swoon:easily my favorite episode. I'd say the equivalent for Hank in the WWE is CM Punk during the MITB angle (basically did things his way, including being a dick, yet is so awesome that it outshines everything around him)

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Oh man, I can't believe I found my first one! My dad took me and one of his coworker's kids as a favor. He's not big on wrestling, but when he has anything to do with something I like, he enjoys it and tries to research a bit. So in a week he went from "ha, what's the big deal" and laughing at me to "wow, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels put on a show!" I asked him last year about that comment and he said he meant it because he recognized that there are some awesome athletes doing this.

***=Nostalgia :swoon: with my personal memories. Keep in mind I was 10 at the time

WWF @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - July 11, 1992 (12,500 paid)
The return to the arena after nearly 18 months; the WWF stopped using the arena over protest of the Meadowlands allowing WCW to use the venue
Tito Santana pinned Skinner ***"oh man this is an easy win for Santana. Skinner is so bad")

The Mountie defeated Sgt. Slaughter via count-out ***"I hate the Mountie SOOOOOOO much :argh:"

WWF IC Champion Bret Hart pinned Shawn Michaels ***:swoon: My dad got me a foam IC belt AND Bret Hart shades!

The Legion of Doom & Paul Ellering defeated the Beverly Brothers & the Genius ***some idiot chanting D-O-D instead of L-O-D and my dad goes "It's 3 letters and you can't get THAT right?" The match itself, I don't recall much

Virgil pinned Kato ***Nobody, and I mean NOBODY cared. My dad took us to the bathroom. In hindsight, this was the proper call. I'm amazed that he was able to do the :airquote: smart fan :airquote: move with just what he looked at on taped shows for a week to prepare for this experience and let us enjoy the matches otherwise.

The Big Bossman defeated Nailz via disqualification (Bossman's return after a 2-month absence) ***This one...it was Nailz beating up Bossman then he used the nightstick, and the ref called for the DQ, then Nailz kept wailing on him until other staff broke it up. I have no idea what it was meant to accomplish.

The Ultiamte Warrior pinned Papa Shango with a clothesline and splash ***at the time, it was awesome because WARRIOR RULZ YEAAAAAAAH over Shango's voodoo powers he used IN THE MATCH. Hindsight, holy crap was that match bad.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Die Laughing posted:

Anyone remember this feud? Papa Shango put a curse on the Ultimate Warrior, and he started bleeding black blood from his head during an interview?

A part of the curse also had Warrior curled up in the fetal position backstage and puking.

There was none of that at this particular house show; Shango just took his voodoo stick in the middle of the match and waved it around, so Warrior started convulsing and looked like he was in pain. Shortly after that it was typical heel offense----->Warrior comeback rage------>victory.

The feud was meaningless IMHO except for the fact that it was originally set-up at Wrestlemania with the most famous run-in ever (at the time) after Papa Shango interfered in the main event despite having no association with it so shouldn't have happened in the first place but WHATEVER IT IS THE ULTIMATE WARRRRRRRRIOOOOOOR *snarl*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZfg4GG2ziM

Actally that whole situation is surreal for a few reasons (again, for a young kid like me at the time):

Sid kicked out of the big boot/leg drop :psyduck:

Hogan disappeared from shows and nobody really said anything after that :psypop:

The biggest match on the card, at a show like Wrestlemania, ended like that? at the time, it seemed unthinkable.

With what we know now (The fact that most of this had to do with a steroid investigation/Hogan transitioning to other things/it gave us the Flair vs Savage feud) makes me want to slap my young self for wanting Flair-Hogan at Wrestlemania instead.

Oh, and that Papa Shango would be a KAMA supreme fighting machine Ho train Godfather cuz PIMPIN AINT EASY!

...why do we watch this stuff again?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Grandpa Pap posted:

I'd like to take this moment to issue apologies to bobkatt and everyone else that I might have debated about Ric Flair being an rear end in a top hat in this thread. I still love the Nature Boy as far as his in-ring work goes, but I read the article linked above, which in turn linked to this article that details just how horrible Flair is with money (among other things). I knew Flair owed a lot of money to one of his exes, but to find out just how far down the financial rabbit hole Flair had gone was staggering. I was :psyduck: at several points in the Grantland article. I am thoroughly repentant.

There was a whole thread about this, actually.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Quarex posted:

Maybe Vince McMahon should send Mark Henry to try to convince Bruno to come back, to remind him that not everyone in the modern wrestling world is scummy or hypocritical :unsmith:

Sexual Chocolate :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Benne posted:

@ 1:20, it's even worse than I remember it being https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8diwh

I usually just lurk on this thread but I recall watching in the moment with a couple of friends and wondering aloud if there would be work/shoot retaliation for Undertaker accidentally overselling an elimination.

*crash*

Yeah, that's it :cry: