Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

What's this thing with someone getting fired for not shaking hands in the right order I keep hearing about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

sexy_trash posted:

I enjoyed Hardcore Holly's quite a bit. He seems exactly like who I thought he was. A jerk that worked there for 15 years and saw everything. He came off as honest, a no-BS, no politic kinda guy which I was glad to see. He came off very normal and a regular guy...who wants to KILL Ken Kennedy... Kennedy.

What happened to Kennedy? What got him shipped off to TNA? Last time I was watching wrestling he was a fairly popular (if injury prone) guy. Of course, the last time I saw him wrestle, it looked like he was sand-bagging the poo poo out of Batista.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

He botched a move on Orton, who has power, who bitched.

MassRayPer posted:

Along with several other main eventers.

Makes sense. I liked him well enough, but something about his ring work looked like it was a disaster waiting to happen. I seem to remember him being kinda sloppy.

Just wanna make sure I've got this straight:

Festus was being kept catatonic on drugs by Jesse the whole time, but CM Punk saved him and made him straight edge?

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 7, 2011

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

This was always one of my favorites. I thought Marcus Cor Von's was a lot of fun. I always had a soft spot for that Crash Holly theme that Spike TV used to use to promo their lovely shows a few years back, too.

Question: Jack Swagger seems to have nothing but upside. He's charismatic, good in the ring, he has a great look. Why isn't he a big star? Is it that minor lisp of his? Is he a huge pain in the rear end? Am I maybe over rating him a bit? Or is the WWE honestly just that bad at utilizing their talent?

It's that last one, isn't it :(

Edit:

Crash's theme
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=07Kp4r--JTc

Cor Von's theme
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=1ya2rHgDoRs

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 10, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

amplifierWORSHIP posted:

they gave him the World Heavyweight Title, changed his character entirely, he flopped, and they then decided it must be his fault so he is destined to be mid-card fodder forever.

really, your final assumption is correct. it is correct 99% of the time when it comes to any squandered talent in the WWE. they can't book, Vince is scum, and the company will never improve until he's gone.

Eh, I figured as much. I just remember seeing him completely dead lift that Alex Riley guy a couple years ago (?) Into a powerbomb and the announce team went out of their way to make him look like a loving rear end in a top hat even though I thought it was kinda obviously not his fault. Then I think he jobbed to Santino or something.

Another question: I've heard CM Punk called a "sloppy worker" a whole bunch of times, but I've heard just as often that he's a safe and trustworthy guy in the ring. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless sloppy and unsafe don't mean the same thing in this context. So I guess my question is... uh, how come that?

I swear I framed it better in my head...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Does Vince hate JR? Why does he seem to try to go out of his way to humiliate him?

Edit: Was his kiss my rear end schtick... I don't quite know how to frame it. Was it to punish people that did something to aggravate him? Was it done legitimately attempt to minimize them, or did King Psycho think it was all in good fun? Just a funny little rib.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for all the answers. I'm thinking it's just safer to assume I don't understand the wrestler mentality. Just when I think I've got them figured out, I kind of hit a wall with it.

Speaking of Regal, did I hear correctly that he had a major push, but he hosed it up somehow?

Edit: Also, is it true that Glacier created the Chrionic Kick, and that he may subsequently destroy with it?

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 25, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Regal got a huge push as a top heel in 2008 and then pissed hot for steroids on a second violation, which essentially means they'll never push you hard again because a third violation is an automatic firing.

So does that mean Orton's forever out of the title picture, or will they run with him til the wheels come off because he's young and so marketable?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A friend of mine asked me if it's true that no one ever broke Hitman's Sharpshooter and I said I don't know and now I'm asking you guys.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I think I recall a segment with DX pretending to rape Stephanie to make Vince angry. Like, the camera was outside a room where they were running a train on her. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I remember being really grossed out and annoyed and feeling justified in watching Nitro instead of Raw.

Or I was drunk. Its one or the other.

fake edit: and I also remember a bit where Stone Cold was stalking the members of DX and he took out X-Pac by god-voicing a Kasey Kasem quote and dropping the ceiling on his head. That was pretty stupid.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Solomonic posted:

It's probably just because I haven't seen the execution, but my mental image of this is hilarious.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=qrYVHpZnStg

Best I could do. It's about 55 seconds in. Stone Cold starts god-voicing a bunch of horse poo poo, which leads to DX doing a bunch of bad "who... wha... where's that coming from!?" pantomime. Austin says something like "Remember what Kasey Kasem always said: keep your feet on the ground and your head in the clouds". Then he dumps a bunch of ceiling tiles on X-Pac's head. He took out X-Pac with ceiling tiles. Its definitely not top 10 worst, not even close, but it always stuck out in my mind as being really loving dumb.

And by "a bunch of ceiling tiles", I mean two or three.

Speaking of X-Pac does anyone remember a RAW where he got crotched on a barrier and he kept screaming "My balls! My loving balls!" over and over again near a live mic? Another one I thought I misremembered, but a buddy of mine corroborated it the other day.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 20, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Has there been any mention of making Lucha Underground available for purchase or streaming anytime soon? I bought a hat to throw them a few bucks, but having to watch it on dailymotion is kinda gross.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gavok posted:

Yeah, you can get it off iTunes now. Buy them by the episode or the season with SD or HD. I ended up getting the SD season 2 pass for I think $35.

Thank Christ. Judging by how badly dailymotion wants me to watch "snuff tapes" and clips of A Serbian Film, it's run by that creepy kid you knew in middle school that wanted you to come over to watch his older brother's Faces of Death videos.

Plus, you know, giving them money is nice, or whatever.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Benne posted:

What kind of other stuff are you watching because those things never pop up when I watch LU on Dailymotion

I have literally never used it for anything other than watching LU. It's greasy as gently caress.

e: I think I searched for some SNL sketches once. It's my wife's laptop. Maybe I've got some uncomfortable questions to ask her.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 6, 2016

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

It really isn't.

Okay.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

When Dustin was saddled with that stupid Dark City gimmick and he debuted ranting about hating WWE and WCW and Goldust, was that planned, or was he going off script or shooting or whatever?

I saw a clip several years ago of a wrestler cutting a promo about people smoking crack in the office and Jerry Lawler raping a teenager, who was that, and what was the story behind it? I remember the guy with the mic getting pissed, but he kept giving the other guy time to speak. Does anyone have that clip?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The Se7en thing was a total worked shoot. It was like barely a month after Russo signed with WCW, so I don't know if it was his doing (and they'd been doing the vignettes for a little while before that) but it wasn't a shoot.

Ugh, Se7en... That's right. Was it ever meant to be a real thing? I recall them putting quite a bit of effort in his leadup.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I've heard it said that because the vignettes involved him peeking in a child's window while the child said "He's coming" or something like that, people also drew connections to Powder (which, it turns out, was directed by a pedophile) instead of Dark City and saw the character as more like a pedophile than like Freddy Krueger. It's possible they originally planned for the character to be serious but then backed off after that, but I think the whole thing was always just a big bait-and-switch so they could have Runnels say "I was Goldust, and Goldust sucked!" WCW was full of petty poo poo like that by that point.

Both interesting and hilarious if the former is true. Thanks.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Aside from Mr. Perfect crotching himself on the ringpost, Rey getting tossed into a baseball slide out of the ring, and Flair's turnbucklle flip, are there any signature moves where wrestlers get kayfabe hurt?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

oldpainless posted:

5 star frog splash

Not quite in the spirit of my question, but I'll allow it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Why did the WWE suddenly decide to deify The Ultimate Warrior? He is on record as being a lovely bigot and homophobe, he sucked in the ring, no one who worked with him during his prime seemed to like him very much, and he had a reputation for being an unprofessional prick with no respect for the business. The WWE even made a whole video burying him as a complete joke. I get trying to get a nostalgia pop for him during his HOF induction and everything, but the guy dies and all of the sudden we're meant to be worshipful of all the things he's done for wrestling and the world at large. Just because he's dead doesn't mean he wasn't an rear end in a top hat. Where did the massive shift in perception come from?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Because he was on good terms with the company when he died, and because there was dollar in it. Everything WWE does is based on what a handful of old guys think is profitable, or based on those same old guys' grudges and friendships. Many other large corporations are the same.

And by the way, Randy Savage was also an astoundingly horrible human being, and that didn't stop the IWC from glorifying him.

Yeah, one of my bosses was a security coordinator back in the late 80s/early 90s for a venue in Utica, NY. Randy was apparently in an especially bad place at the time I guess, and my boss and his security team had special instructions from someone in WWE on how to try to keep Randy out of trouble. Mixed results.

I guess if I spent three seconds thinking about the situation with Warrior I could have filled in the blanks myself. It's just weird to see such a 180 from where they were to where they are, and holding such an odious dickhead up as some symbol of strength and inspiration is annoying. I get honoring the guy after his passing, but they just took it to such a weird extreme.

quote:

the idea of "respecting the business" is an anti-worker mind control strategy so i'll forgive that one

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that in the sense of how the culture allows for the exploitation of the workers, and all the stupid backstage stuff that allows people like JBL to have sway in how things run in the locker room, or young guys possibly having their runs hosed up because they forgot to shake someone's hand or something. I meant it more as disrespecting the individuals who put honest pride and passion into their careers only to have someone who doesn't take it seriously treat it like a joke. Like that (quite possibly apocryphal) old story about a fan seeing Warrior in an airport or whatever and congratulating him on winning the Intercontinental title, only for him to respond with something like "yeah, great, another loving piece of luggage to drag around".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kennel posted:

Without spoilers: Which Mania 33 matches should I check out?

I liked both of the women's matches well enough. The ladder match was fun. Goldberg/Lesnar was stupid but enjoyable. Most of it was middling to decent, honestly. The last three matches sucked, but I'd still recommend Taker/Roman because the aftermath was interesting and there was a pretty hilarious anti-Roman sign in the beginning. Match was bad, though. Taker looked like poo poo and Roman looked well out of sync in a few spots.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Watching a bunch of older Pete Dunne matches has me wondering if WWE told him he wasn't allowed to bite anymore or if he gave it up on his own. I suspect it's the former, but if so, why? Too gross or gruesome? Too easily emulated by kids?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Two questions I have after 3 hours of Bruce Pritchard non answers during the recent Q&A episode:

1) Who is the locker room leader with Taker retired and Cena part time? My gut says Miz for some reason.

2) Bruce spoke very highly of Freddie Prinze as far as his creative contributions. Is there anything in specific I can look for as far as what he was responsible for? I just wasn't expecting that answer.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I would have a very hard time believing it is Miz. He's not the pariah he was 10 years ago but I've never heard a story of him being a locker room leader.

I figured that his evolution from joke and pariah to someone everyone seems to have a good deal of respect for would mark him as somewhat of a leader to the younger wrestlers, since he took so much poo poo for all the heat he brought to himself and stuck it out better than anyone I can think of. But like I said, it was just a gut feeling.

Jericho and Show make a ton of sense, and Gallows is interesting. Roman is a surprise, not because lol Roman, but because he's still relatively young.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Fair enough.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

God drat Bray Wyatt's gimmick is good as hell. Is he doing anything of note currently or has his time already come and gone?

I thought his FCW and NXT stuff was pretty cool. He held the Smackdown title for a cup of coffee until his lovely Wrestlemania match with Orton. For the most part he's been a high profile jobber though, and his Eater of Worlds gimmick is thoroughly undercut by his inability to win a feud.

I like the guy too, but they killed him with garbage booking.

If you want to see an entertaining wreck, the House of Horrors ppv match he had with Orton is abysmal. Supposedly the WWE had no clue what the match was even supposed to be until pretty much the last minute even though they promoted it for, like, a month. Long story short Randy takes a shirtless limo ride to a meth shack, fistfights Bray until he gets a fridge dropped on him, then teleports to the arena after Bray steals Brandy's limo to RKO him for the win.

It is a strong worst match of the year candidate.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

At one point, when they idea may have been to make Bray the new Undertaker, he stole Undertaker and Kane's magical lightning and fire powers, but the Brothers of Destruction completely beat the poo poo out of Bray and his three giant cult members and presumably got their powers back. This was done a week in advance of a big match they were meant to have on, iirc, Survivor Series. It made no sense whatsoever.

Don't care about Bray Wyatt. It will only frustrate and confuse you.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

God that's a shame, he has probably the coolest heel gimmick around in WWE right now.

Speaking of heel gimmicks, I just saw a video of The Young Bucks and their crew taking over a wrestling show and continually superkicking every wrestler (they ziptied one to the ropes and kept kicking him) and staff member, down to the announcers and camera guys. Where do I go to see more of these guys?

NJPW specifically, but you can find a lot of great stuff of theirs on PWG. Last I checked there was a Bucks vs. The World's Cutest Tag Team match on Youtube that is a ton of fun, but be aware that it has some fairly shocking spots featuring a woman named Candace LaRae (one half of TWCTT). Candace is a badass and such a good wrestler, so don't feel bad for her. She's a goddamn gamer.

edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=622_SfrCjmQ Bonus Kevin Stench/Owens on commentary.

edit 2: lol autocorrect

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 28, 2017

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I think I'm about done giving WWE anymore of my money, so I have a few indy/non-WWE questions:

I don't have a ton of cash to throw around for subscription services, and I have enjoyed what I have seen from Progress, GPW, and Evolve, so what's the best bang for my buck inasmuch as something that will either offer me a good variety of different promotions to watch, or something with a nice, deep, quality catalogue to keep me entertained?

Is the NJPW service easy to navigate? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but I know for example that the WWE Network is an annoying pain in the rear end to deal with on a laptop.

Where's a good place to start with NJPW? The seeds or inception of Bullet Club would be fun, but I may not have all the time in the world to go back six or seven years to get all caught up. I am interested in whatever would be a good jumping on point to get the best idea of the current storylines and plots, but either or both answer would be just fine by me.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Dias posted:

Wasn't Xavier real bad when he was Consequences Creed? Neville was real bad on the mic but is pretty good as Evil King of Cruiserweights.

I've come to love the "creepy weirdo with a thousand yard stare" promos from Neville. He's found his wheelhouse.

His crowd shot during the last Takeover was great, too. He looked like he hadn't slept for a couple days and was just kinda staring into space.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Been a rotten few days for me, and it looks to be equally or more rotten in the coming weeks. Anything you folks watch to lift your spirits at all? It can be funny, goofy, cute, something that gets you pumped up, stuff like that. Just looking for something that's not a bummer and can provide a little distraction for a couple hours maybe.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Appreciated, but I never the years long period of disinterest that would necessitate that suggestion.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

You guys are great. I can't wait to go through these when I get home from work tonight.

Thank you very much :)

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I would have thought this was an easy thing to Google but I can't find it.

What's the longest a luchador has gone before being unmasked? Has anyone gone their whole careers to retirement (since I assume we have some untimely deaths in there) never losing their mask?

Just a guess, but El Santo?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Cavauro posted:

did people beat up rick rude often, or do cum to him?

From what I've heard, Rick Rude was not a man to be hosed with. No idea about the cum thing, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

If Marty Scurll signed with WWE, is there any chance they'd like him keep his finger breaking spot?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Pete Dunne just did it at Takeover.

Oh, wow. I saw that match and missed that somehow. I seem to recall them not being too high on all his finger biting for awhile, but I've seen him do it a couple times fairly recently. It always felt like one of those things they'd be squeamish about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't seen him do any biting but he still does the extra joint manipulation stuff on holds, and Takeover was the first time I noticed him do the arm clap finger break.

Shayna has been doing a finger break stomp too.

My first exposure to Dunne was the UK tournament, and there's a really weird edit where he's got Tyler Bate locked up on the mat, and you can very briefly see him pull his mouth guard out, and then nothing comes of it. I thought he was going to shove it in Tyler's mouth or something. Beyond that, thought I saw him biting on NXT at least once, but then again I do drink quite a bit.