Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
It was a work; Orton would continue to get "concussed" in matches for the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Kane lost the mask in a "Mask vs. Title" match against Triple H, back in 2003 on a random episode of Raw. The hair was revealed to have been part of the mask when Kane removed it, showing he was bald the whole time.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm still a pretty big Kane mark too, in spite of the way he's been booked for the past...well, basically for his whole career.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

So I certainly won't be the last and I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but is there any story/explanation/logic behind why Cole calls a power slam a scoop slam?

Michael Cole isn't very good at calling moves. Or doing anything other than making GBS threads on bad television, really.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Best Sharpshooter would probably be either Bret or Natalya. I love the left-leg version.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Santino didn't win me over until recently during his half-feud with Sheamus but he's way more entertaining than MVP ever was.

This is so untrue it's ridiculous. MVP's heel run from 07-08 (starting with his Benoit feud and ending with his Hardy feud) was loving gold, and if WWE had capitalized on that momentum he would've easily been a main event fixture. Hell, even during his face run last year, MVP showed some moments of greatness that WWE never seemed to go anywhere with (his debut promo on Raw against Orton).

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Another bad one was him wiping the floor with Angle at Fully Loaded 2000 when that should have been Angle's stepping stone to his main event status.

I was gonna' bring this match up. If I remember right, this is the match where Taker no-sold getting hit in the knee with a wrench, and twice did that "pull the guy's shoulder up at 2 after a finisher" spot. Just a total squash.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

someone feel free to back me up here lol fess up now who liked the Kane/UT matches

I've enjoyed them all, but I am a loving eternal mark for both men, so take that for what it's worth.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Does anyone have an example of a good Lesnar promo? I'd just be curious to see what he was like on the stick, even if he wasn't the greatest talker I'm sure he still came off as intimidating as gently caress.

Lesnar basically sounds like a more countrified version of Scott Steiner.

Having said that, this is easily his best promo (apologies for the bad audio mixing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmdf46JZZ0

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

When he moved to Raw.

Not quite, it was a couple of years into his Raw tenure. I remember this because during his '05 feud with Jericho, Raw hosted a BATTLE OF THE BANDS: John Cena and Tha Trademarc vs. Fozzy.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

LightsGameraAction posted:

I can't remember if I ever asked this before or not, and it's a pretty bland question, but what was with Triple H's amazing technicolor wardrobe from 03-04?

I know he wore those weird shorts for those 2 months he was feuding with Goldberg to cover up scars on his knees, but before and after that for a solid year and a half he was wearing a different color every night, and I wouldn't really think it weird except it's the only time he's ever done it.

The first time I saw it I think he was wearing purple tights, so I figured maybe it was something to do with the birth of one of his daughters or something, but then there were the blue tights, and the white boots, etc...

I always thought of that as his tribute to Flair. 03-04 was when HHH was at his most Flair-like, with Evolution, the World Heavyweight Title, etc.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Well yeah but I think those bad title reigns are a symptom of a bigger problem that has to do with the fact that those 2 are on Raw.

Jack Swagger kinda' disproves this theory, though admittedly he never would have even gotten a chance at the main event on Raw.

I've become a big Del Rio fan and sincerely hope WWE doesn't gently caress him up, but I can't remember the last time first-time champion was booked strong. You'd probably have to go back to Cena's first reign.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Super Dragon is a dick, that guy was annoying but he was cheering him. Unless he was just doing a heel schtick.

That's pretty much his heel thing, or at least it was the couple of times I saw him. Guy would threaten fans during his entrance and stuff like that; I recall him yanking a pair of earphones from a guy's ears during a JAPW show.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
The last instance of finisher theft I can recall in the WWE was Triple H hitting Orton with a punt at WrestleMania 25. Other than that it's been used much more sparingly in recent years.

That Angle/Rock/Taker triple threat from Vengeance 02 was loving ridiculous (in a good way) in terms of finisher theft. At one point in the match, Rock gets the Ankle Lock on Taker, only to get a Rock Bottom from Angle, who in turn gets an Angle Slam from Taker.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Pretty sure Miz and Maryse were dating before that storyline came about, just like the Cena/Mickie thing from a couple of years ago.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Whether it was "unique" or not, Miz looked like a goddamn jobber up until his attire change in 2009.

Seriously, look at this:

You'd buy THIS as a world champion?

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 22, 2011

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I think Endorph is talking about the whole "Miz = Kermit" thing, not Pillman.

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 11, 2011

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Well, I really wouldn't call RVD or Jeff Hardy "technical wrestlers" by any stretch of the imagination. Same for Michaels and Taker; they weren't ever really technical guys in terms of style, though they could more than hold their own with guys who were.

The only technical wrestlers to ever really get pushed as top level talent have been Angle and Eddie, and those pushes weren't solely based on their technical aptitude; they were extremely charismatic and could wrestle drat near any style, and could have good matches with even the most inept hoss. However, Jericho is much the same, but for all his accolades he's always been a notch or two below the top guys at any given time for whatever reason.

I think a lot of the problem nowadays is that WWE absolutely cannot push someone properly for a period longer than a few months, and without a bodybuilder's physique it's drat near impossible to get noticed again by WWE once your career has been effectively sabotaged. Look at Jack Swagger; according to John Piermarini's blog, Vince was absolutely convinced that Swagger's World Heavyweight title run would make him a star. The way Swagger is presented now, you'd never think he's won a world championship before. Meanwhile, Mason Ryan is getting a monster push despite being by far the worst wrestler on the roster, male or female.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

No he isn't. CMLL's business has been god awful. Mistico was a very good draw for them for several years but he has cooled off a lot lately.

Wasn't his decrease in popularity actually a result of that WWE offer from several years ago? I remember a more lucha-oriented friend of mine telling me that when Mistico went into preliminary talks with WWE back in 06, his drawing power dropped a ton in the following months.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Sandman's YouShoot had some pretty funny stories.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
19's probably my favorite overall. Best variety of matches and most consistent in-ring quality. Even the matches I'm not too crazy about (Trips/Booker, the Taker match, and Hogan/McMahon) are still pretty drat watchable, and the main events are excellent. 14 is up there for me also, although I'll admit it's strictly due to nostalgia, as it was my first ever Mania.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I remember hearing about a match between Jeff Jarrett and Raven from early TNA where Jarret took basically every finisher from every heel in the company and still won. Gotta check if it's really featuring as much run-ins, or if it's just Raven murdering Jesus Jarrett.

I remember run-ins from at least Perry Saturn and possibly X-Pac, and Jarrett taking some sort of chair-assisted double superkick from both (which he kicked out of, naturally).

Fake Edit: Obsessed With Wrestling comes through once again. Jarrett got attacked, over the course of 20 minutes, by Julio Dinero, Alexis Lareee (Mickie James), Sandman, Justin Credible, Perry Saturn and New Jack. This in a match that already featured run-ins from the New Church and S.E.X. In addition to the superkick-conchairto thing, Jarrett also kicked out of a DDT while handcuffed, and won the match with a single Stroke.

http://obsessedwithwrestling.com/results/tna/030430.php

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Don't know if this is probatable to ask about, but does anyone know if there's a place to stream the AAA PPV (Guerra de Titanes 2011) that's supposed to air today? My friend wants to see it but as far as either of us know, it's not available in any US PPV networks.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I remember a Jeff Hardy vs D'Lo Brown match on Heat where Jeff somehow managed to botch a roll-up.

Fake Edit: Found it. It was a sunset flip. Skip to 3:50.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know, I think some WWE films rank as pretty drat terrible, though not in the self-parody, Rifftrax sense of the word. See No Evil and The Condemned legitimately made me angry because of how lovely and boring they were.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Cena legitimately knocked out one of Kurt Angle's teeth back in...2005 or so. That's actually why Kurt started wearing a mouth guard, if I remember correctly. Other than that he's basically as safe as could be.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Speaking of Axxess, when do they usually post the non-VIP signing schedules? I'd want to get tickets today but there's no way of knowing which sessions would have which people.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

bartok posted:

Why did Bret Hart have to wrestle MAD TV's Will Sasso on Nitro? Was there a build up to the match on MAD TV? At the time it seemed pretty random and a waste of Bret's talents and time.

Yeah, Bret appeared on an episode of MAD TV. If I remember correctly he "went off-script" and attacked Sasso with a chair. This may have also been the same episode that featured David Arquette and Sting.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Thauros posted:

Wasn't one of Kane's victories during their WHC feud basically clean?

The No Holds Barred Kane/Taker match from Night of Champions 2010 had Kane win completely clean.

e: f,b

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I've heard him talk about his favorite punk bands but I never hear him talk about hardcore/straight edge bands other than Minor Threat which is why I'm curious.

I know Punk is a pretty big H2O fan, though I'm not sure if they're really considered a straight edge band.

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 18, 2013

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I never saw WrestleMania IV, what was so bad about the Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude match that it got -** for?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

This is a match I did not know existed:

Vader & Mike Awesome vs. Samoa Joe & Dan Maff from JAPW

Has anyone seen it, and is it worth tracking down?

I was at that show. Haven't seen the match since then but I don't remember it being anything special, though it wasn't unwatchable or anything. Vader and Awesome were clearly just there for the purpose of having some "big names."

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
The most ridiculous Striker nickname for Yoshi Tatsu had to be "the Tokugawa Shogunate."

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Not wanting to advertise yourself as a wrestling fan is dumb, because unless you're still in middle or high school literally nobody gives a poo poo about that sort of thing. Admittedly some wrestling shirts can be pretty garish, but gently caress it, wear whatever you think is cool. I wear my "In Punk We Trust" shirt out in public all the time. poo poo, my best friend is a cop and he wears a goddamn Dragonball t-shirt out in public when he's not on duty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that.

And yes, superplexes are awesome.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Mob posted:

"My best friend is a cop and he wears dumb manchild poo poo in public and I don't question any part of that at all" is a very compelling argument thank you.

What's there to question? Guy wears what he wears, why should I give a poo poo?

epitasis posted:

This is Not True but I admire your optimism

What situations have you been in where people have actually given you poo poo for wearing a wrestling shirt in public? I've worn shirts on campus, at restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc. and I've gotten maybe two comments ever from people, both also wrestling fans.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

epitasis posted:

I don't wear wrestling shirts and also it's not like I'm suggesting people are going to throw tomatoes at you. but if you don't think you're being judged then you're really naive. don't care if you want but don't think not caring affects people's perception, not everyone is as enlightened as you

People can think what they like - I have no doubt that they do - but if they don't say anything to me then their opinions are of no concern. I'm not trying to come off as more enlightened or anything, I really just thought "wear what you like and don't worry what other people think" was common sense.

Anyway, this is all getting pretty off-topic.

So, superplexes are cool, but what about superbombs? Did anyone other than Chris Candido use the superbomb as a finish, or even just as a regular move?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Was there really any good Undertaker matches during the Biker/American Badass era except the Jeff Hardy ladder match and maybe some of the Angle ones?

vs. Triple H at Mania 17 and vs. Ric Flair at Mania 18 are both good, though the latter is pretty sloppy at times. The triple threat with him, Rock and Angle from Vengeance '02 is very good, and his Hell in a Cell with Brock from No Mercy '02 is excellent.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

TL posted:

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but didn't they refer to Undertaker's gogoplata as the Death Sentence a few times before they settled on Hell's Gate?

It went through a bunch of different names. It was originally the Devil's Triangle, then Devil's Gate, then Hell's Gate. Death Sentence might've been in there for a while too.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Spermgod posted:

What are the best matches with the worst booking? Can anything come close to Lesnar/Cena II?

Austin/Angle from Summerslam 2001 has to be up there. A great, intense 20+ minute match that has one of the biggest wet fart finishes I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

TWO Diva's matches in one night? Which show was it on?

Great American Bash 2009, or The Bash as it was simply known that year.

Mickie/Gail wasn't on that show, though, it was on some random Raw.