Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A few pages back we had a question how much indie wrestlers made, but what about big league guys? The other day I read that the Undertaker was paid half a million dollars for his match against Kamala at SummerSlam '92 (and Kamala himself "only" $13,000). Now I was well aware that guys in his league didn't exactly work for a case of beer and a grubby 20, but half a million (in 1992 no less) is, well, a lot and rather overthrows all my notions, extremely hazy as they were, of how much money is actually involved in this business at this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just watched CHIKARA's Scornucopia the other day and at the end of the first match they lift a kid from the audience into the ring and perform an improvised finish with him. He even gets the pin (well, he gets to join in a dogpile, at least). Sadly that moment doesn't seem to be on youtube.

... or, uh, at least I think it's improvised, but now that I think of it, given the nature of this sport... :tinfoil:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MrBling posted:

one of the ice creams making a kid cry
Be fair, he apologized. But yeah, all that, and there was another fun moment when one of the Ice Creams had Scott Parker (I think) in a headlock near the ropes, Ophidian Kid walked up to the ring and extended his hand for a tag, and Ice Cream immediately panicked and pulled Parker away.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nothing says badass barbarian king like a plastic water bottle and a symbol designed in 19th century Prussia.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think at one point the official story was that it contained his parents' ashes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I vaguely remember a match between Undertaker and Kurt Angle that ended by Angle hiding under the ring, Undertaker dragging him back out and going for the pin buuuut SURPRISE it's not Kurt Angle but rather Kurt Angle's identically dressed brother or cousin or something who he was going to introduce later this evening. So thanks for ruining the surprise Undertaker! Must have been at one of the big PPVs.

My question is twofold: who came up with this bollocks, and did anything ever come of it? (And "where did that happen" too I guess so threefold.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Not sure if it counts but apparently Los Ice Creams is whoever is spare backstage that night (Mostly Quack)

(so the same boat as suicide in TNA)
I was just going to post and ask about them, I'd been wondering on and off for a while and today remembering and browsing SA coincided.

For what it's worth a lot of the time one of them reminds me of Hallowicked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Possibly one of the greatest things about this is, most people would probably put on a mask or Joker makeup to portray that kind of character. Kingston is a guy in an undershirt and pulls it off, and that gives it a whole different context and feeling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember someone posted the Stigma/Hydra(UMB/Delirious one some time ago but only pointed out Delirious. Who is pretty much the one guy in the picture who stays completely recognizable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is there seriously no other wrestling-related person with a birthday on December 16th than William "The Refrigerator" Perry? Frankly I think that's stretching more than a bit.

Oh well at least no one can take Bill Hicks away from me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Delirious doesn't seem to be around quite as much as he used to, either.

The biggest themed events each year are King of Trios (the big one, amultiple day tournament with teams of three, usually they go all out for this and bring in people from all over the world), Young Lions Cup (singles tournament, more or less a rookie showcase) and Cibernetico (16-man elimination match with two teams of eight). Season finale shows tend to be pretty interesting too as they bring storylines to a close.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

There's nothing more extreme than stairs/chairs/sledgehammers in the modern day, but I'm fairly sure that anything Foley used was legit - thumbtacks, barbed wire, etc.
I remember showing the Foley/HHH street fight from one Royal Rumble to a buddy back in the day.

*barbed wire 2x4 comes out*
Buddy: "Oh poo poo, but that's a prop, right?"
*barbed wire 2x4 visibly gets caught in Foley's shirt*
Buddy: :stare:

Although I do remember reading that at least in WWF/WWE, the tips of the bars were always blunted. I thought that made sense back then but I'm not so sure anymore if anyone would go to the trouble of grabbing a wire cutter and snipping off hundreds of tiny barbs when neither of the guys in the ring would probably care either way.

e: the German commentators would always stress how ladders, traffic signs and chairs were actually very light aluminum to verbally take the edge of the action. Always thought that was really odd. The original commentators didn't do that sort of thing, did they?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 28, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't imagine it's very easy to walk that line between downplaying the action for the network's conscience's sake and not breaking kayfabe. Zapf and Schäfer definitely were/are huge tools though.

Oh man, remember how they'd switch to black and white once things got bloody or cut to the crowd/freeze-framed the video right before high imapct moves? Bloody ridiculous. Once they started that poo poo I pretty much quit watching.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

if you go back and watch the match again, they switch out the 2x4s. Foley got clobbered with the real one, and HHH was gouged with the plastic tipped one and apparently regretted it because it looked poo poo
Ha, so they do. You know, it occurs to me that wrestling and stage magic have quite a bit in common. How did the various magician gimmicks that popped up over time never work out? (Because they never went beyond "let's have him pull handkerchiefs from his mouth," of course, but some clever booker or wrestler must have seen that connection?)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Quarex posted:

Then you have Umaga ... and, well, pretty much any Samoan wrestler, wearing tribal gear and/or being incoherent
Probably worth mentioning the Headshrinkers specifically.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

How would you play the Million Dollar Man/JBL/Del Rio aristocrat gimmick as a babyface?
Batman.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think one of the reasons that Heyman fought for the CM Punk gimmick is he saw the other stuff that Punk was offered: One was a gimmick where he'd be deaf.
Can't blame them for wanting to revive the "WHAT" chant.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

triplexpac posted:

The other time I can remember him taking a Titantron bump was when Steve Blackman knocked him off. Everyone just remembers that as "that time Shane fell off the tron" not "that time Steve Blackman knocked Shane off the tron"
Blackman did follow that up with an elbow drop or some kind of splash though. I mean yeah "Shane fell off" is the more spectacular aspect here but then I do remember this, so...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Convenient to throw under the bus in the event he'd gently caress up and kill Shane?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does Charles Wright count? He didn't wear a mask as Papa Shango, but the make-up was extensive enough that you would never know who was under it. I believe it went Papa Shango, Kama the Supreme Fighting Machine, Kama Mustafa, the Godfather, the Goodfather, the Godfather.
I for one definitely didn't realize they were all the same guy until I read up on wrestlers on wikipedia many years later.

How about Dennis Knight, who first was in WWF as pig farmer Phineas I. Godwinn and later as Mideon? God if there's one thing I don't miss from 90s wrestling it's that naming scheme. Anyway not exactly main event material, but definitely known names if you followed the WWF during those times.

I would also mention Nelson Frazier as Mabel and Viscera but you did mention unidentifiable and, well, let's not kid ourselves.

e: Al Snow? Started out as Avatar and became somewhat well-known as Leif Cassidy before the Al Snow gimmick.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 8, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Frot Lesnar posted:

A friend used to work in their video department
I've always wondered what that's like. In my mind they either have the best storage and retrieval system money can buy and you could walk in and leave with any collection of individual matches you specify within minutes, or it's the basement and when you go in with a request there's one guy who unlocks the door and hands you a flashlight, a bag of trail mix and a hang-in-there poster. It's gotta be either one extreme or the other, I can't imagine anything inbetween.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Domalom posted:

35 bin bags full of Betamax tapes with 'WCW' written on the side.
A subset of tapes still stored in the burnt out husk of Kevin Dunn's car on a street in Hamburg, PA, and Frot Lesnar's buddy's job was to go there every day and refill the meter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

(pay the wrestlers and staff)
That's probably the key to the whole issue right there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They sure did!

I recall reading somewhere that bassSting actually did have to pay wrestlingSting a fee to use the name, since the latter was smart enough to lay legal claims to it first and presumably since they're both performers. Was that just a silly rumour? Might have been from Wikipedia so who knows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Our reasoning for trying wrestling holds on each other in school was usually "they say it's fake, well let's put that to the test and see which of those actually hurts."

In true kid wrestling fan fashion we didn't think things all the way through. I'm just glad we stuck to holds, honestly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thauros posted:

I'm honestly surprised CHIKARA's never done one, that would a perfect gimmick for them. At the very least it would have been a cool temporary thing when Mantis had the eye of Tyr with the obvious MGS tie-in.
Huge winning streak until someone decides to bring in the Super Smash Bros., and even then only Player Dos has a chance.

That match practically writes itself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you'd asked me a month or even just a week ago what the chances were of me ever crowdsourcing information about Sean Waltman's rear end in a top hat in a public place we probably would have transitioned to not being on speaking terms quite quickly, but here I am reading all those quips about it in every thread and getting the feeling I missed something and drat if that's not exactly what I'm doing right now.

e: kind of figures that I'd notice someone asked the exact same thing in the assholes thread right after I put this poo poo on the internet forever

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 28, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Blindly guessing, but Nash had just left and they needed a tall guy?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Ludvig Borga served in Finland's parliament I think
He did, for the right-wing nationalist True Finns and for several years, too.

Sidenote: with the ridiculous number of cross-referencing categories his wikipedia entry has ("Finnish sportsperson-politicians", "Professional wrestlers who committed suicide") you'd think there was one for wrestlers that became politicians. But maybe that sportsperson-politician one leads somewhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And further, do ban people if it's the smart thing to do even if an evil corporation wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

simply decided wrestling "wasn't the right career for her"
If you successfully break through a wall you're already more qualified for the job than Typhoon.