Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
In general, how much does a jobber in the WWE get paid? Has anyone ever come out and said? I imagine it is a comfortable paycheck, even when you take out travel expenses, for what you have to do every night.

e; Also, when it comes to watching good stuff on the network, you can look at Pro Fight Database and look at a list of PPVS and look at the matches on the card for each. It gives you a list of matches. Generally, if you see a few threes or above, it is probably worth a look at that PPV, or, those matches.

e;, hahah, beat in my edit

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I recall reading that someone (I think Xavier Woods) said the baseline check for the main roster was $75k a year, with the NXT roster making $50k a year.

That isn't actually much then, considering how much they travel. They will be spending a hell of a lot more on hotels, food, rentals and so on than they would be in another career. Weird, I expected about $100,000.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Slater heard Titus could play the drums

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Which wrestler do you picture when you think of certain belts. Here are mine.
Spinner: Cena

Edge.

(yeah, it was a short run but it was drat memorable)

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 9, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What wrestler(s) did you absolutely despise as a kid that you now love and appreciate?

As a kid I hated edge. His chickenshit heeling was the best heeling at the time, and I was a dumb kid who fell for it all. I now see why I hated him - he was good at it and nobody else was. Dude ruled in retrospect.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The one house show I went to when Edge came out, it was to roaring boos. Dude lived to heel, why did they ever turn him face?

I am saddened that when I go Smackdown in November that he won't be there, or any show ever anymore really. Smackdown was his show and his home. He was part of what made it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

The Goog posted:

Drugs like cocaine, yeah, but John Cena is by all accounts pretty heavily into his alcohol and he's far from alone on that front.

Where do people get this from? I can't find anywhere saying he is a big drinker. Googling John Cena alcoholic only gets a few results about some interview from 2005, comparing his championships to Flair and a yahoo about him having a drink on stage with Austin. Who said it originally and where can I read it?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

HorseHeadBed posted:

I know this is a minor detail and not really a wrestling question per se, but what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Libraries are freely distributing the intellectual property of authors, possibly without permission. It is right, and it is dumb, but tough loving poo poo. We are not the stone age.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So, ring generals. It is a word people usually use to describe guys like Bret Hart. Guys who are in charge in the ring for a good reason. They know how to structure a match well on the fly, they know how to work an audience, and they know what sounds like a good idea and would look good, and what would not. They usually end up being the guy in the ring making all of the calls, and typically are in 'charge' of the match. Who in the WWE right now can be referred to as a ring general? I'd say it is safe to assume D-Bry is possibly one. Anyone else?

How about in other countries?

e; companies, not countries. Duuuuuh.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 22, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ehhhh, I'd say there is calling spots, and then there is being a ring general. I mean someone who is really good at it, and can put on a hell of a match with any worker. Jericho isn't doing that right now, and sometimes Cena can, sometimes he can't. I'm asking about whether there are any guys who could go out with Zack Ryder right now and get the crowd going. I think Jericho could've been one some time ago, though.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 22, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
What is Ric Flair's natural hair colour?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Really, with the breadth of the G1, I would suggest you pick out a few favourites and just watch their matches. While the quality through it all is very consistent and high, I think 30+ hours of wrestling will burn any man out sooner or later. I would recommend anything with Shinsuke, AJ and Shibata and Naito. If you really like Okada, add him too, but he is not the highlight of all this, some of the other guys outshine him I feel.

e; Nagata too

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Thauros posted:

Okada wasn't the MVP of the tournament, but he certainly held his own in fantastic matches with AJ and Shinsuke.

Oh, he definitely had some greats. I would definitely recommend any of his matches against my listed guys there for certain. He could even drag good matches out of anyone on the card, but when two good guys face, and one of them is Nakamura or Shibata, I was far more interested.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I knew Ric was bad with money, but seeing all of his financial failures lined up like in one article is just depressing to look at.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

He's loving great. He used kendo sticks, he drank like a fish, he had a voice like gravel in a blender. Everything you need to know about Sandman is in that loving entrance. He's like Austin if Austin was really hardcore

"When it comes to donuts, go to straight basic glaze."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOwRBll21Uc

e; ahahaha they mentioned wafflehouse, it's a fucken standard in wrestling

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 20, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Watching Forever Hardcore, and I've never paid too much attention to ECW before, but what the gently caress is New Jack's deal? Dude is a legit psychopath. Like, terrifying.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Is rear end Man the greatest WWE theme ever made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPsbkHzrok

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
His old theme is so much better. I wish they would go back to it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

never. when you think about it intercontinental basically means the same thing as world.

Well I'm still waiting for the day that the aliens come down and provide some real contest to earth's claim of world championships, because world does not just mean Earth. It means world.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Orton vs. tables. When did it begin?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Is Chris Hero still fat? Is he any good live even when he is fat? He's main eventing a show near me, along with some TNA bootcamp guy, and I am considering going.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Alright, I'll definitely consider going then. Never seen much of Hero, but I look forward to seeing him now.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Alright, I nicked the poster for the show with Hero. The other guy in the main event is Marty Scurll. Ex-TNA bootcamp guy supposedly. He any good?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

oatgan posted:

Here's a couple matches he had recently that I enjoyed. If you want something a little closer to what his match with Scrull will look like send me a PM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28m67l_yuji-nagata-vs-chris-hero-noah_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28r5x2_takashi-sugiura-vs-chris-hero-noah_sport

thanks man, I'm giving the first one a watch now. Don't have PMs any more tho, so I couldn't really do that. I don't mind tho, not knowing how he would approach the main event of what I want to see might make it more interesting since I won't know what to expect.

also, liking the new av.

e; do guys who sign onto NJPW not have exclusivity contracts within Japan? Or is that just how the WWE works? I thought Nagata was a NJPW guy, and here he is in NOAH. I figured they would be more protective of their talent in a relatively closed market.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 6, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

HHH is an insecure musclenerd so yeah it's not a huge surprise that they wouldn't agree on this. It's nice hearing Rock and Austin's opinions on wrestling because they have way better eyes for talent than most of the yokels running WWE now.

he is a musclenerd who in his time in charge has seen the wyatt family come up, and the signing of kevin steen

dude may have preferences in build, but he isn't shoving chunky guys out of the show

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, you people promos can be great. As usual, it all depends on the mic ability and charisma of the person cutting it. Punk could kill a guy with words, so naturally, it worked.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you have a video of what you're talking about?

Imagine a Draron Suplex, where the dude using the move puts himself behind the other guy, puts him into a full nelson and then suplexes him. What he is discussing is basically an irish whip into that move, but without the hands being on the back of the head like a full nelson, rather the user of the move locks his arms and hands together after wrapping the arms of the opponent back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3SsIWVCvI

That is a tiger suplex.

Now imagine being whipped into that. I can see why that might get banned. Only guys of a certain size could do it without just smashing a head into the mat. The dragon suplex is safer because the leverage allows you to lift the opponent higher, and the nelson lock might also protect the head a little. But the tiger does not have that leverage or protection. Your weight and leverage is all very low in the body, while also having to hold the move tight for it to look good. Sounds like a head injury in action.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
oh poo poo, front to front? my mistake, misread it and assumed it was belly to back

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
let's simplify the matter, Steiner looks incredibly dangerous

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Keep in mind that death threats seem to be a common tool in ol' Corny's playbook. He has threatened to kill Lesnar before, and has threatened to kill some tinny indy promotion owner because he thinks the guy is a shitheel. While it is very funny to listen to, always take what Jim has to say with a wide berth, because it might be many levels divorced from what he really means.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Nut Bunnies posted:

It is no longer held but you could always count on Unforgiven being a godawful show. They'd be coming off an at worst solid Summerslam and then they'd go into their usual bland/awful Fall season with a wretched show every September. Awful gimmick matches, bizarre finishes, dissatisfying endings. You name it, Unforgiven had it.

Unforgiven 06 was worth it for Edge/Cena TLC alone. Great feud, great match. Edge probably should have won it for the sanctity of his TLC undefeated streak, but I cannot say that the match was not worth it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm gonna debut with that name, thanks

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Corzaa posted:

Mark Henry has been the same since like 2003. Where the gently caress is he anyway?

injured

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Mark Henry's gimmick is now "show up, slam some fools, trash talk, quickly form a tag team, get hurt, disappear for several months, repeat".

That'll fit on a Lesnar style t-shirt if they make the sizes big enough.

sounds like a mark henry sized tee to me

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Anything that is a -Plex unless your name is Mr. Perfect is bad.

Val-plex, Ken-plex etc

actually the regalplex owns

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

Didn't they acquire AJ Styles' contract with WCW and then immediately cut him?

Yup. They didn't pick him up, Johnny Ace rang him up to let him know they won't be holding onto him.

It is probably him.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

On the other hand, if AJ broke someone's neck in WWE, he'd be released and the Styles Clash would be banned forever and ever

The Style Clash does not break necks. Bad bumps break necks. Styles has been using that move for years and he has hurt two or three people, two of whom tucked their head when they shouldn't have done, and the last being a botch which happens. AJ himself has said that when he wrestles a guy he doesn't know and hasn't worked with before, one of the first things he does is runs through any moves each side might need to know how to take before stepping in the ring, including telling the person how to take a Styles Clash. The issue with the Clash isn't really delivery, it is receiving, and AJ does what he needs to do to ensure that receiving is safe.

Really, the Clash is probably a safer move than many piledrivers which are used on a daily basis around the world by indies who don't know how to deliver the move safely.

e; AJ said this basically all himself on the Talk Is Jericho episode with him on, which happened before the last two injuries in New Japan when it was just Lionheart

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

You don't think that AJ would be the fallman for WWE corporate? If something like this happened in today's WWE, AJ would be out in a heartbeat. If anyone started to think he was an unsafe worker, he'd be gone.

Oh, I figured this would just be another attack on the Styles Clash in terms of safety (it being dumb I understand). AJ totally would be on the chopping block if that happened in a WWE environment. But then, I'm not sure he would ever be using the Clash if he were ever in the WWE, and if he were, I think the consistent house show schedule he would be on there, working with all the guys all the time unlike he is now at NJPW, he would have gotten in enough practice and communication would be strong enough that the Clash's preparation would be discussed fully.

e; if Neville were six inches taller he would not be known for what he is known for now. Flippy dos get a lot harder at that height. You can't be as confident he would be the same worker if he were on a totally different style.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
AJ in all seriousness is a major contender for the single best wrestler right now just for how polished and smooth his ringwork is. I had never seen any of his stuff before his foray over to New Japan and was blown the gently caress away. I don't think Bryan has a patch on him for sheer ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U28pyOAMXcI

Also, Another Person? If you haven't seen this match, watch it. Right now.

thanks for this, it was a good match that I had never seen

also, it confirms a deep feeling of mine - at no point does it seem like AJ was ever 'cool'