Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LividLiquid posted:

McMahon would always use the finisher of whomever he was feuding with as his own finisher.
And adds "Corporate" to the name e.g. "Corporate Elbow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LightsGameraAction posted:

Triple H's entrance was hilarious. It encompassed 2 entrance themes, an introduction video of CGI skeletons sword-fighting, and Triple H in the aforementioned Conan get-up rising out of the stage on a thrown.

But the best part is after allllll of that production they put into it, Triple H is sitting on his thrown holding a bottle of spring water.

A water bottle.

Not a goblet or something else time-period appropriate. A water bottle.

I'm sure someone has a picture of him on the thrown with the bottle. I know I've seen it here before.

ETA: drat, beaten to it lol

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was Dusty booking things at that point?
No, that was Bill Watts' doing. IIRC, he also had the ringside mats removed (top prove how tough wrestlers were), made it illegal to do moves off the top rope and forced everyone to stay to the end of the show (even if they never had anything to do after their matches)

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was Dusty booking things at that point?
No, that was Bill Watts' doing. IIRC, he also had the ringside mats removed (top prove how tough wrestlers were), made it illegal to do moves off the top rope and forced everyone to stay to the end of the show (even if they never had anything to do after their matches)

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Jericho's documentary was pretty well put together, but you'd have to read his books fill in a lot of the blanks.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Dickeye posted:

That Sekimoto/Ibushi match is great partly (mostly) because Ibushi sells every hit like it was real.

Also, my favorite part of that Muta/Liger match is when Liger leans back and roars (right after spitting on Muta) and he looks like Gene Simmons on PCP.

The debut of Kishin Liger is one of the greatest moments in wrestling history

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Stanfield posted:

Are there any cases in american wrestling of multiple people carrying on a masked gimmick, like Tiger Mask in Japan?
Mr Wrestling comes to mind

Edit: Beaten to it.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 2, 2011

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Writer Cath posted:

Miz once said that was his nickname in high school as well.
Plus Regal called him that during that wonderful NXT1 ending argument (along with Matt Hardy being "Eugene") lol

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rarity posted:

Day-um. I'm not as anti-RVD as many here but even I know that's a completely ridiculous insinuation.
Sure is

According to that last Impact, he's one of the greatest martial artists in the world :smug:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont get it though. Cena is like the most business exposing top wrestler I have ever seen.

Cena has a match. gets blindsided before the match.
Gets beaten up the majority of the match with submission holds and weapons.
Powers up and goes into super cena mode. it gets countered and he gets put into another submission working over the same body part that was worked on the whole match.
Goes into super cena mode again and wins (his idea of selling the injury and abuse he took is hopping around a little before running full sprint.
Is attacked after this brutal match with a PIPE taking 3 good hits (i know its not a pipe.)and STILL fights off 2 men.

Why is this constantly what happens? Cena doesnt understand or rather the people booking cena dont understand the babyface in peril. nor do they understand the babyface going down so that people get behind him and want him to get up.
Maybe his super mode is proportional to the amount of damage he gets...which means Cena is Shane "Goose" Gooseman from the Galaxy Rangers.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
In TNA:

-the Jeff/Kurt/Karen situation
-Mr Anderson's concussion
-To an extent, using a clip of Daffney being legit injured by Rosie Lottalove to make Rosie look like a monster.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Did the Macho Man ever beat Hulk Hogan cleanly? I only seem to remember a count out victory in the WWF.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Vader and Sid: Masters of the Powerbomb

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

WeaselWeaz posted:

And Col. Rob Parker was the master of Harlem Heat.
Not on tv he wasn't :smug:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

CombineThresher posted:

As a way of answering your question, mullets are still unironically popular in Mexico.
So the OMEGA crew are luchadores too?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

El Patron posted:

He mentions that in the shoot interview, I'm pretty sure Helms was nursing an injury with a bag of ice or something when they both got into an argument, Bagwell claims he turned away and Helms launched it at him and it split the back of his head open.
It was a bottle of frozen water, I think.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Ivory also hosted WWE Experience and I think did commentary on Heat.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Last week's Wrestling Observer had a roster breakdown of everyone (including FCW guys). Here's the background section:

quote:

Pro kickboxing: Vladimir Kozlov

Sambo: Vladimir Kozlov (national place winner)

MMA: Santino Marella, Alberto Del Rio

College Basketball: Eli Cottonwood (St. John’s Minnesota); Kane (Northeast Missouri State/Truman State); Big Show (Wichita State); Undertaker (Angelina College/Texas), Kevin Nash (University of Tennessee)

European Pro Basketball: Eli Cottonwood, Kevin Nash

NBA D-League Basketball: Eli Cottonwood (2004 Charleston Lowgators)

Bodybuilding: John Cena, HHH (Mr. Teenage New Hampshire), Ezekiel Jackson, Great Khali (Mr. India), Chris Masters

Women’s Figures: Kaitlyn

College Football: Lucky Cannon (St. Francis Xavier University), John Cena (Springfield College/Massachusetts), Husky Harris (Troy University), Kane (Northeast Missouri State/Truman State), Titus O’Neil (Florida), Alex Riley (Boston College), Jack Swagger (Oklahoma), Percy Watson (Western Carolina - All Southern Conference defensive lineman 2001, 2002 and 2003), The Rock (University of Miami), Andy Leavine (Florida International University)

Arena Football: Lucky Cannon, Titus O’Neil (2003-2007 Utah Blaze, Tampa Bay Storm, Las Vegas Gladiators, Carolina Cobras)

Canadian Football: The Rock (Calgary Stampeders)

NFL: Percy Watson (2005 Washington Redskins)

High School Football All-American: Titus O’Neil (1995 Parade Magazine All-American Swannee High School, Live Oak, FL; Listed No. 75 best college football prospect of the year), The Rock (Freedom High School, Allentown, PA)

Girls Soccer: Brie Bella, Nikki Bella

Amateur Wrestling: Husky Harris (Florida high school state heavyweight champion 2005), Kofi Kingston (placed in Massachusetts high school state meet), Alberto Del Rio (Mexican national champion freestyle, Greco-Roman bronze medal teenage world championships; 1997 5th place at 214 pounds Pan American Games), Randy Orton, Beth Phoenix, Cody Rhodes (2002 and 2003 Georgia high school state champion at 189 pounds), Jack Swagger (7th place, 2006 NCAA heavyweight tournament, University of Oklahoma ), Dolph Ziggler (Ohio high school state champion at 147 pounds 1998; Mid American Conference champion at 165 pounds, 2001, 2002 and 2003, Kent State University), Andy Leavine

Modeling: Brie Bella, Nikki Bella, Alicia Fox, Justin Gabriel, Kelly Kelly, Gail
Kim, Maryse, Melina, Rosa Mendes, Eve Torres, Kaitlyn

Reality TV: The Miz, David Otunga

Gymnastics: John Morrison

Beauty pageants/Swimsuit competitions: Maryse, Melina

Second/Third Generation Pro wrestler: Ted DiBiase (Ted DiBiase Sr., Mike DiBiase, Helen Hild), Justin Gabriel (Paul Lloyd Sr.), Goldust (Dusty Rhodes), Husky Harris (Mike Rotunda, Blackjack Mulligan), Alberto Del Rio (Dos Caras), Michael McGillicutty (Curt Hennig, Larry Hennig), Natalya (Jim Neidhart, Stu Hart), Randy Orton (Bob Orton Jr., Bob Orton Sr.), Primo (Carlos Colon), Cody Rhodes (Dusty Rhodes), David Hart Smith (Davey Boy Smith, Stu Hart), Tamina (Jimmy Snuka), Jey Uso (Rikishi), Jimmy Uso (Rikishi), The Rock (Rocky Johnson, Peter Maivia), Sin Cara (Dr. Karonte)

Cheerleaders: Vickie Guerrero, Layla (Miami Heat), Eve Torres (Los Angles Clippers)

Professional dancers: Layla (Miami Heat), Eve Torres (Los Angeles Clippers)

Olympic weightlifting: Mark Henry (1992, 1996 Olympics)

Powerlifting: Mark Henry (set state and national records in squat and deadlift)

Judo: Santino Marella

U.K. Gladiators: Mason Ryan

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Ahhh, in that case I feel you.

Titus O' Neil has genuinely taken me aback with how much better he is on this season of NXT though. There is hope for some of them. :unsmith:
Titus is apparently friends with Batista and was motivated to become a wrestler after Big Dave showed him one of his Wrestlemania cheques lol

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lamuella posted:

it's entirely possible. I was just going by their wikipedia pages and wiki doesn't mention wrestling for anyone but WWE/FCW
Maybe he got the initial training from Homicide while he was a bodybuilder and WWE signed him.

Zeke's wikipedia photo makes me laugh...

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Welp, Titus has been stepping his game up on NXT so good on him.
Hard to believe it's the same guy from NXT season 2. HUGE difference.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is there any indication as to whether or not James Laurinaitis (son of Animal, nephew of Johnny Ace, current NFL linebacker) has any interest of getting into the business? I mean on the one hand you can make bigtime wrestler money in the NFL EASY working a much less difficult lifestyle, but still, bloodlines and all that, who knows.
I think he said a while ago he's not interested for the time being.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Endorph posted:

Just superimpose Khali's face over Orton's body.
The jumping splits are more terrifying now.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
The answer is Rajah Lion.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lamuella posted:

hmm... I'd argue that Inoki versus The Great Antonio is worse, although it does include on the the greatest asskickings seen in the sport
Yes, that was a bad one...

Speaking of great asskickings, Dirtbike Kid paid the price for pissing off Great Sasuke once...ONCE.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Tyma posted:

I can't find any videos, but The Dirtbike Kid is a lovely english wrestler who frequently went into business for himself, doing unplanned high spots without even so much as whispering them to his opponent.

In one match, his opponent got so pissed off with his antics, that he waited until Dirtbike Kid went to the top rope, for some completely unplanned twisty flippy poo poo to the outside of the ring, and instead of trying to catch him, completely ignored the spot, and crawled back into the ring as planned, watching Dirtbike Kid fall to the concrete, and legit injuring himself to the point that he was rushed to hospital.

In 1:50 in this video, Dirtbike tries the same poo poo on The Great Sasuke. Sasuke was already hugely pissed off at the guy, who had been invited to a prestigious "masked wrestlers" tournament, where the finalists would wager their most prized possession (their masks), for the chance to be crowned the grand champion.

Dirtbike kid was booked to job to The Great Sasuke in the opening round, and threw a hissy fit. After his entrance, he unmasked himself in the middle of the ring, completely making GBS threads on the whole concept of the tournament, in the opening match. Dirtbike Kid was told that Sasuke's first spin-kick would be the finisher, but even though Sasuke is shooting on him, he no-sells it, and the referee stops the match to try and avoid Sasuke literally killing the guy.
Sasuke gave him about 17 full contact kicks and cracked his ribs.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Tony Atlas wasn't doing well before his latest WWE stint.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

Not being one to question the validity of something that was said on an official WWE DVD, but didn't WWE have a reputation for screw job main events that were pretty much "you paid 30 dollars, now to find out what happened tune into RAW tomorrow night!"
Vince Russo

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MisterGBH posted:

I was re-watching Hogan/Michaels last night and I have to ask; was HBK turning on Hogan as unexpected as I remember it? Was it common knowledge that HBK was going to turn on Hogan?

I don't think I was a even a lurker in WH2K then to remember anybody elses reaction just my own.
Hogan didn't want to be the heel in this story so Shawn had to make the turn for this feud.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Flameingblack posted:

From what I hear, all of Quack's students work for free, and the trainees are the ones who set up the ring and run everything. (Which is also free) and since a majority of his roster is students, I would say that CHIKARA is incredibly profitable.
Makes sense. Plus they only run two shows a month and helps his students get bookings with promotions like PWG...not to mention the King of Trios helps networking wise.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Renaissance Spam posted:

Back in WCW, Kevin Nash and Bischoff had Rey lose his mask vs. Juventud (I think) in order to make him more "Marketable". Rey agreed, and then went down to Mexico to lose his mask again down there to make it really important. Unfortunately they found out that he'd already lost his mask in the states and the Athletic Commission (that still regulates Lucha) basically said "You can't have a mask match, you've already lost it." It also got him a lot of heat from the Mexican fans because he was a big babyface and many took it as a slight that he didn't have the match in mexico in the first place.
I think it was in Death of WCW that they said Antonio Pena, still not having forgiven Konnan and Rey (among others) for leaving AAA to form Promo Azteca was the one who tipped off the commission.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Could it have been Rosa? She joined FCW in March 2008 and appeared on the main roster in November.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

Looking at that Hall video and reading about Flair, it seems as though this is really a big thing. Once you get used to that big pop and the adoration being piled upon you, it's really hard to give it up. To go from having a mega reaction every time you show up to rarely to never being seen is huge. The guys that have made the transition and are happy with it... they need to write a book or do seminars or something.

"Aging in Professional Wrestling With Grace"
Johnny Saint should be involved in this.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Wikipedia says it's her real-life dad. No idea how credible it is.
I think he popped up in a cameo in the Dirt Sheet where they did a spoof of The Dark Knight ("I'm Commissioner Gordon").

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

thesteelhellion posted:

This may have been already posted, but did Meng/Haku legit bite someone's nose off in a bar fight? Also remember hearing he gouged out someone's eye backstage because he got taunted by the guy or something.
He confirmed the nose biting story a month or so ago. He was drunk and the guy wanted to start something thinking nothing would happen because he had friends with him. He was wrong.

The eye gouging was done to Jimmy Jack Funk.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Quarex posted:

Then I remember seeing Damien biting Randy Savage and suddenly I no longer had any idea what to think, because DAMIEN WAS BITING RANDY SAVAGE.
It was a king cobra that bit the Macho Man, Damien was already gone after what Earthquake did. The weird part of the story is that the cobra DIED within a few days...probably couldn't handle the Madness.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

What we really need is another steroid trial, maybe then DB will finally get the Hitman push.
That's not a good idea. Stephanie will compare it to 9/11 again.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cardboard Box posted:

I can actually imagine Cole showing up randomly in Bryan's everyday life to harass him.
Then Josh Matthews says "Mr Cole, that's not wise!" as Bryan clamps a different submission hold on him each time.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

apsouthern posted:

Stevie Richards had the weirdest body ever, at least later on

Those aren't abs! He's got two permanently flexing biceps down there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

oldskool posted:

I know he got WWF Magazine writer Lou Gianfriddo with the chicken wing on RAW, but I think Russo & Gianfriddo are different people.
I remember Vic Venom referring to Gianfriddo as "Louie The Frito" in one of his columns...