Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Has the introduction of the PG era actually led to increased ratings and attendance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Kerry just had trouble getting his foot in the door

Oh, snap.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

JBL is a complicated man who tied up a wrestler in the showers and threatened to rape him for bragging about taking advantage of a intoxicated woman.

Who was this?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Atticus Finch posted:

I asked this in the RAW thread but: was The Rock's dad a good wrestler?

Good, but not the Great One.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

There was also that story about JBL picking on Steve Blackman, Blackman telling him stop, then when he wouldn't Blackman dropping him with a roundhouse kick.

I welcome more stories of JBL getting his rear end kicked.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

If we're talking about who's had a successful movie career and who hasn't, quality isn't important. The fact that Expendables was a big success and Man with the Iron Fists barely broke even at the box office is more important.

Yes, but Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be much bigger. It's a good role for him, he has to look big and mean and, probably only has a few lines. I completely forgot Austin was even in Expendables.

To add a question, what's up with Batista's puffy head? Is that from HGH?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

Adding question: If I wanted to get into professional wrestling as a booker or promoter, and there are no local promotions near me (Seattle), what are my options? How would I even break in?

Seriously? I'm from a podunk town of 16,000 that has a local promotion. If Seattle really has no minor league, then you could do really well starting one, I'd hope.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm lucky in that I'm from Detroit so if I ever get myself in shape the Juggalos are here so there's a chance I could break into a good indie if I really wanted to. I mean hell, I live like 5 blocks over from where ICP grew up.

I'm unlucky in that I'm short and out of shape (But still in better shape than Batista) so I'd have a ways to go before I got there and I'd still probably end up eating chairs and barbed wire half the time.

Do they still do JCW? That was pretty brutal. It's not worth eating light bulbs. Go to college or something.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I already did but it wasn't as fun and lead to having a worthless degree!

Good luck. Look into Income Contingent payment plans for student loans.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Why the gently caress is Donald Trump in the Hall of Fame?

Seriously, this pisses me off. Inducted the same year as Foley and Bruno? Jesus Christ!

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Has anything more come out regarding JR's retirement? Is there any truth to this rumor that he got fired because Flair got drunk?

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2013/09/real-scandal-professional-wrestling-firing-jim-ross/69405/#disqus_thread

If true, that is complete bullshit.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Was he still doing commentary for Raw then?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

No, and I've heard they make fun of the product half the time because no one knows what they're saying

They're just bitter about the unsafe working conditions.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

This is probably a stupid question but is Jerry Lawler considered a good worker? I don't really have much experience of his matches but he seems to be able to take bumps when he's asked to.

He had a great feud with Andy Kaufman.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...y#axzz2wKoVwI3I

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Does the WWE provide health insurance for the wrestlers? This article from 2011 reports they are required to have insurance but WWE doesn't pay for it. I'm assuming this is still the case, and that Obamacare wouldn't apply due to "independent contractor" bullshit.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wwe-superstars-forced-to-get-health-insurance-but-wwe-won-t-pay

I really wish they could manage to unionize.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I read somewhere that Hogan's agent stayed with him the night before he turned trying to convince him not to do it

I hope that agent was promptly fired afterwards.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I'm watching Greatest Rivalries on Netflix, it's really good. Why did Cena and Punk both have WWE Champion belts at the same time?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Funktastic posted:

What was the first PPV you saw?

My big brother is awesome and drove me with his friends an hour away to watch Wrestlemania III in an arena on closed circuit television.

I'd been to lots of house shows before, but my first live PPV was Judgment Day 1998. We had lousy nosebleed seats, but when Vince came out to fire Austin at the end, he was in a box right next to our seats! What a pleasant surprise, we were able to throw beer at Vince, and I got my "Legalize it, cause Stone Cold said so. Austin 4:20" sign on the TV. It was a poorly made sign with too many words, so it was unreadable to anyone watching, but it was there, by God!

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Snackula posted:

It just looked like he was going through a midlife crisis.

Mind you it was a welcome change from his ministry of darkness/corporate ministry incarnation where he turned into a Buffy villain and stood around giving goofy speeches to his cronies all the time.

Corporate Ministry was awesome. :colbert:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Vince thinks he's too old to be on screen regularly so that's why he's been attempting to write himself off for the past six years. But plans change and it never sticks.

Does he seriously think the fans don't want to see him on TV anymore? That seems crazy to me.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

bartok posted:

You say that now but Vince had a tendency to overstay his welcome.

Not to me, drat it! :colbert:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Apparently Vader was a big softie when it came to the people he did hurt, though.

As noted by Mick Foley in his first autobiography Have A Nice Day: A Tale Of Blood And Sweatsocks, despite being a sadistic, merciless monster heel in the ring, Vader was very sweet and friendly behind the scenes, and on one occasion cried inconsolably after he believed he'd accidentally paralysed a rookie with a Powerbomb when he couldn't feel his legs afterward. Luckily this was not the case; the rookie retired from pro wrestling, but regained the full use of his legs and became a police officer.

In Jim Cornette's youshoot interview, Cornette describes Vader as being like "a big teddy bear backstage". This is one of the reasons that Cornette hates Shawn Michaels, as Michaels was a complete dick to Vader backstage, and even made the big man cry by threatening to have him fired because Vader pulled Michaels' hair during a match.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Wrestling/VADER

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

What are your real life reasons to hate Lesner?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

When was the last time Kane tombstoned Pete Rose?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Foley's wife is too attractive to be believable. Just goes to show that he was able to score a 10 without looks or money, just his winning personality.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Has there ever been a kayfabe explanation for having kendo sticks under the ring? I can rationalize most other weapons, but not bamboo swords.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's basically D&D 4's Primordial Chaos.

Works for me, thanks.

How much did Shane McMahon have to do with creative? I was just rewatching his match vs Angle, and that guy was dedicated to the business. It seems like he should have at least as much of a claim to the business as Stephanie. Although I'm okay with Steph because it means HHH will be in charge some day.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Ha! Kendo sticks are stupid wrestling weapons anyways.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I hope Sandman fucks your back up and pours beer on you

I would prefer a stunner, followed by beer being poured on me.

Next question, what was the appeal of Sandman? I never liked him (and I started watching ECW in 1996). I guess I always thought Zubaz pants looked dumb as poo poo, even when they were somewhat cool.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why did Japan fall in love with American cowboy types like Stan Hansen and a the Funks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Vince's training montages were really funny.

I hate Austin.
I hate Austin.
I HATE AUSTIN!