Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

oldpainless posted:

When he said "cool stables" maybe he means face stables cuz only heels are being listed.

Thinking about it, I'm struggling to think of a recent face stable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

What about Regal? Gets a kick out of just hurting folks and just genreraly finds everything purile and beneth him.

Plenty of men are like that in pubs across England.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

ChampRamp posted:

Perhaps a bit in the John Cena Experience?

Which gave us him wandering backstage singing Smoke and Mirrors...

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

nationalista posted:

How much booking goes into the Royal Rumble match? Obviously the winner and I'm assuming who's the final participants, and there's usually a number of big elimination spots; but is the order of eliminations and who eliminates who all fully planned out?

From one of Paul Londons shoots I get the impression that "X eliminates Y" are sandwhiched around the major spots and major eliminations.

In some of the rumbles you completly miss someone getting eliminated. If it was highly planned out the camera would be right there first time.

But thats just my 2 cents.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Ktik posted:

I'd like to see a wrestler afraid of germs, or just an OCD wrestler in general. Like he's a face but refuses to high five the fans on the way down to the ring, he wrestles in a full body suit to avoid getting sweat on him, he uses Purell after locking up with someone. When he goes up to the turn buckle to hit his ten punches, if he can't hit exactly ten he freaks out and it throws him off for the rest of the match. When he goes up to hit a top rope elbow or something, but he won't jump because the guy isn't exactly in the center of the ring. He'd be a comedy jobber, of course.

I love this so much.

Hitting his finisher an even number of times, spraying hand sanitizer in opponents eyes etc...

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Sugar Blaster posted:

I want to say WWE have already acknowledged him a few times, but I can't cite specifics.

The Elimination Chamber DVD has him in it but apparently cuts any mention of him out of the commentary entirely.

I believe this happens in the Ladder Match DVD also.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Do wrestlers actualy have to pay for their own gear?

In the example of a gimmick do they not? For example Foley and the Mankind deal.

Or with Batista's debut he was told to bring a suit which they promptly cut the sleeves off.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

it was a running joke amongst my friends.

As soon as Schiavone would yell "It's Sting!" we would all yell "Good night folks!"

This still happens when I watch TNA.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Back in my wrasslin days we had a gal that would make gear in exchange for drugs, or sex or sometimes even money.

I know many workers that make their own gear.

This is the thing. I know that they have their own seamstress or whatever but are they told "you need new gear go see her"?

I knew the whole 'if it's part of your gimmick it's covered' I've heard Matt used to make gear for him and Jeff and that Shannon Moore's wife was some sort of tailor or something.

Slightly related Mike Awesome never did get those new tights he asked for that time.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Minidust posted:

Question about an old angle that I remember vaguely: On the Raw where Mick Foley won the title ("that'll put butts in seats"), there was a brief segment where Shawn Michaels was found unconscious in the back. The implication seemed to be that dX (face faction at the time) had sold him out, but the focus of the show quickly shifted to the Rock/Mankind title match, and later Austin's return. Was that meant to foreshadow some kind of heel turn for dX, or perhaps an earlier return to the ring for HBK that didn't pan out? I guess the most likely answer is that it was a Russo red herring, but I was curious.

Do you mean the time he was found face down on a windscreen all smashed up? Or are they two seperate attacks?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He's just a common man - workin' hard with his hands.

Hey he's the American Dream.

***80's riff***

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

JBL lost the title to Cena. Rey won the next year from Angle (by pinning Orton).

One week he refused to stand up to Paul Heyman with Faarooq, the next week he interfered in the main event, then he was JBL the week after that and started kissing babies and defending the border from Mexicans.

His first PPV match as JBL was a a wwe title match, whch he won via DQ. He won the title on the next ppv.

Heyman punished The APA by making them have a match and the loser was fired. A few days later Ron Simmons was fired for real.
He cut a promo somewhere during all this stating how he was all American. I seem to remember him slowly added more texas back into his ring attire before dropping tights altogether and wearing trunks.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Brock beat him with a bearhug?

Yes and kind of on the side forcing his shoulder into Hogans ribs.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Nystral posted:

Isn't there a story were Randy had a ring set up in his backyard for a match against Ricky Steamboat and practiced the match for 3 months prior to Wrestlemania 3?

I want to say this is true but Steamboat wasn't even with Savage at any point. Savage is just fooling around and elbow dropping some stuffed clothes with a football for a head.

MisterGBH fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 3, 2011

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'd like to think that Ric Flair has been pranking Arn his whole wrestling career into thinking it's all real, and everyone else just follows along with it when he's around.

It's a running joke with my friends that in a world of OTT people in general that Arn Anderson's gimmick is just someones dad.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is tangential, but why is there a shot of a man whacking a blue furry creature with a broom? The announcers imply that that's Madusa, but in none of the other footage is she a neon yeti so I'm confused.

She always had ridiculous fur coats that quite often were red, white and blue. But in that video it does look like he's hitting a muppet or something.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Ferrara and Russo clashed a lot with JR in his role as head of talent relations, behind the scenes at WWF. Russo just couldn't understand how someone could be so serious about wrestling.

add them to the list of JR haters. Haters for passion! At least Johnny Ace hate is justified.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

El Duke posted:

When Vince was coming up in the wrestling business, he was always Vince McMahon, Jr., and most of the boys would refer to him as just "Junior." (He's not actually a Junior, him and his father don't share the same middle name.) It was mainly used the differentiate Vince the Younger and Vince the Elder, but there was also some light ribbing involved, and Vince grew to resent it. As Vince gained more power and screwed over more people, Junior became the go to insult-shoot-name for Vince, and you'll see a lot of the older guys who have something against him using it to refer to him in interviews. So, because of these personal hangups, he's always found the name "Jr." to designate someone lesser than their father or original namesake, so he tends to avoid using it with wrestlers, even when it makes sense and would clear up the confusion of having two guys show up with the same name.

To add; it's old fashioned and stupid to name your son the same name as yourself.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

To add; Rey Mysterio didn't get his name from his dad.

I was refering in a general sense not Rey in particular.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

fawker posted:

Can someone explain to me the Batista's dick thing?

Everyone is just really curious.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

In defense of that stupid, wasteful storyline... DDP was only stalking Sara because he wanted to get a big reaction from Taker, in order to "make him famous".

Here's a question based on those recent compilations we've been watching of that period in WWE.... was the reason that they shifted all the WCW guys to heel when they'd been playing faces for the most part before then due to the deal for a television show falling through? And in turn, did the deal for the television show fall through because of how abysmal the Booker/Bagwell title match on Raw was? And in turn, can I now legitimately blame Buff Bagwell for everything that went wrong from 2001 on? Because I'm going to anyway, I'd just like to know it's got a legitimate basis.

I blame Buff Bagwell for anything and everything that goes wrong in my life. I'd like to think Buff Bagwell is like that 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Quarex posted:

Here is a question that does not deserve its own thread:

Is this funny?

Click here for the full 1745x1492 image.

Goddammit Jonah Hill lose some weight!

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

Festus was being kept catatonic on drugs by Jesse the whole time, but CM Punk saved him and made him straight edge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOVHd_AJk6M I think this covers it really...

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Sugar Blaster posted:

I'd be down if Miz/Jericho were paired in the first round so we could just get that out of the way early.

You mean get The Miz out of the way early. He doesn't belong anywhere near Jericho.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

There's a pod cast thread if you'll just click this link:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390168&pagenumber=1

The Free or Fired John Cena PPV last year had an excellent Piper promo the week before that did more for selling the PPV than anything else so I would like to see some more Piper on WWE television.

Piper could easily be GM and would handle the balance between heel hatin' and face lovin' GM really well I think. I think they would be scared of him with a live mic too often though.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

KildarX posted:

Why was the British Bulldog in a Six Pack Challenge with HHH, Mankind, Rock, Show, and Kane in Unforgiven '99? It seemed a random rear end choice now that I think about it.

It was around this time where he knocked Steph out backstage by throwing a bin at her. He showed no remorse for it and turned heel and feuded with Test for a short while before moving onto The Rock and cost him a handfull of matches.

It gave us the sliding Peoples Elbow and a Rock Bottom onto dog poop.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm near the end of the first season of Tough Enough and I just saw them play a clip of Ivory wrestling Dean Malenko. What the hell? :psyduck:

Why was Ivory wrestling Dean Malenko?

I don't think I saw this answered. It was around the time he was pursuing Lita and he thought he was super smooth with the ladies (but wasn't)and had a James Bond rip off them also.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Didn't Big Show and Taker have something similar too, in the Ministry days? Taker was mentoring him into being a scary monster and Show was too happy?

Taker and Show had a few promo segments one where Taker mentions leaving him out in the desert with only half a tank of gas to which Big Show return with his ride on his shoulder or something.
I can't find the actual video but here's this instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uO4xZ0n1N0

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

This is also true.

Someone mentioned a possible Cena heel turn in the WWE thread being a pay off to R-Truth questioning Cena's honesty or if he could trust him... something to that effect anyway.

What's the story behind this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzo3zBlJcq4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggEBTMoWkUM
I think the second one is what people are refering to

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

KildarX posted:

Looking back on this didn't R-Truth cut a Battle Rap at Cena when he was in TNA and tried to start a "Shoot" war with him? What a weird turn of events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHgL99eePE

And there's another part (just as bad as this one)

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Are there any Ric Flair career retrospect documentaries out that are basically just a recap of his career?

I'd assume WWE would have put one out, but I've never heard of one.

There's two boxsets out detailing his matches but as far as I am aware they haven't produced an actual talking head style documentary.
I would imagine that as soon as he returns to WWE that they would produce one whilst he's still alive one could argue that he is already dead being in TNA.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Red posted:

The People's Elbow has a few rules:

- It's more flash than smash, but can still be effective, especially at finishing off jobbers, or eliminating people in Survivor Series matches.
- A People's Elbow executed using a chair is devastating.
- The Elbow is usually a precursor to The Rock Bottom, and is rarely used as a match-finisher. Same for The Sharpshooter. Think of The Elbow as a 'going home' move, much like Rey Mysterio's 619.

Originally, the move had no name - it was later named by D-Lo Brown, who was on commentary during a Rocky match.

Once started it MUST be seen through to completion.
That awesome time he stopped to drop it and Undertaker sat up, Rock kicked him back down then finished the elbow anyways.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

So about that documentary Exposed! Wrestling Greatest Secrets (STUNT GRANNY!)

Were there any perfomers in it who were note worthy? I seem to remember Bill Watts and Dusty been banded around but I haven't seen it since it first aired.

Was anybody looked down on or black balled for participating?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Big Show, not Lesnar, if I remember correctly.

Yep. Show and Joy, his short-lived onscreen girlfriend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbs7YxTM3eQ

I thought they always refered to her as 'close personal friend'? Mainly due to the fact he was on WWE Confidential's version of Cribs and his wife was with him the whole time.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

Wade Barrett has mentioned in interviews that it took him some time to get used to the North American style of pro wrestling. What's so different about the European style?

It's all uppercuts, wristlocks and that 'lady in the lake' move.

It's more of a technical style with less flash I believe. Very reversal heavy.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Female vocals for male WWE rasslers.

HBK, 2005 Christian, ???

Chavo, Sean O'Haire, Dusty...

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did Dude Love's theme have a female singer?

Nah. It was fake Bee Gees.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

What was the deal with the original Doink going to ECW? I know he wore half the face paint and was called Bourne Again or something was this part of the WWE/ECW agreement?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

Nope. Matt Bourne had drug problems throughout his career. Between that and a vocal opposition to turning Doink face he was fired by WWE. This also occurred before WWF and ECW had an agreement. There are not a lot of clips of this gimmick, I think Bourne wound up having to leave ECW because he drug problems got in the way there too.

Jeez like CombineThresher must have been quite the problem! Thanks for this.

I just started searching Youtube for some examples. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Who would you say is the Modern day JOB squad in wwe?

Curt Hawkins