Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

89 posted:

Did the Ultimo Dragon ever have a notably good match in WWE?
Not from what I remember, although to be fair I barely saw any of his matches before he was banished to Velocity and tripped during his Mania XX entrance.

Man, they really screwed up with Ultimo. From what I've read, they brought him in assuming he's be just like Rey Mysterio and then proceeded to not do anything with him when they realized he wrestled a completely different style. I seem to remember there also being a story about Vince thinking Ultimo's offense looked weak, which may or may not have been just a rumor some NEWZ site made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Memento posted:

This is the chair shot I'm thinking of. I have no idea what it was from, and it might not even be Jericho delivering it. Someone here might know what this lovely screengrab is from though.
It's Edge, the cap is from the Last Man Standing match he and Benoit had at Backlash 2005. Here's a highlights vid from that match, sorry about the lovely music. (seriously, why do the people who make these videos always use this awful generic buttrock?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBfELfPyLvs

Looks like that's also a trash can lid instead of a chair, which I suppose is a bit safer but he still gets brained with that thing. It's not even the most horrifying spot in this match, though, that german and that diving headbutt... :stonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The DX vs. McMahons feud in 2006 was terrible and unfunny for the most part, but DX showing this clip on the 'tron and Triple H doing his best impression of Vince's dancing was beautiful. :allears:

Jerry Lawler's reactions to the whole thing were also pretty great, for once he sounded like he genuinely found it hilarious.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The best part of that recap review:

quote:

Chavo deserves to be pushed so much more
:cawg:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I hated the "You're Gonna Pay" theme, partly due to the awful lyrics but mainly because Bikertaker circa 2003 was the worst (Michael Cole's "OH MY, VINTAGE UNDERTAKER" commentary did not help). That said, the instrumental version he had during his 2002 heel run was pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzgS15w0Ae8

He seemed to use at least a couple of different versions of the instrumental as well, but this is the one I'm most familiar with since it was in SD: Shut Your Mouth.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Good Listener posted:

I'm trying to remember when he started doing the STF, was it during a feud with Angle? It seems like when you face a submission wrestler for a while, you magically learn one like Edge's sharpshooter or Sheamus's cloverleaf.
Yeah, it was during the Angle feud in 2005. The storyline was "oh god how is John Cena possibly going to beat Angle in a SUBMISSION MATCH?!!" and, naturally, he overcame the odds by showcasing his mastery of the STF. I recall the reaction (mine and internet fans in general) being slightly less than impressed.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh yeah, I completely forgot Chris Masters was involved in that match.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Somewhere along the line he beat Sabu with it, which given it's Sabu might be the most bullshit thing ever. "I shrugged off losing half my arm to barbed wire, but man, this loose STF is too much!"
:gonk: I had forgotten that too why did you remind me oh god

2005-06 was not a good time to watch WWE if you liked anyone that wasn't Cena. (Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but seeing him steamroll over everyone during that SuperCena run was absolutely soul-crushing)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 17, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Expected this when I clicked the link, wasn't disappointed.

I've always liked Goldust's theme myself.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many wrestlers have worked through a match after sustaining a severe injury that they should definitely have stopped for? As an example, I don't know his name, that Japanese guy who broke his arm in the middle of the match then invented the Ganso Bomb because he couldn't lift the other guy for a powerbomb. I also know of Austin/Hart though that's kind of borderline since the match didn't really "continue".

EDIT: I should clarify that I mean an injury sustained during the match, so Shawn Michael's duct taped back doesn't count.
Early on in her career, Akira Hokuto broke her neck in the first fall of a 2/3 falls match and worked the rest of that match holding her head in place with her hands.

In another match a few years later, she destroyed her knee on a metal guardrail while doing a plancha and couldn't walk, so obviously she tied a bandage around her leg and dragged herself back into the ring. She apparently wasn't able to finish that match, but it was certainly not for the lack of trying.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yuriy posted:

sounds like she's loving retarded
Yeah, pretty much. This was Japan in the late 80s and early 90s, though, so everyone just found the whole thing tough and badass.

edit: to be fair Akira Hokuto loving owns, but that poo poo was still dumb as hell

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I wanted to see the verbal debate. :saddowns:

The main thing I remember from that angle was Coach trotting out Goldust and Vader (who looked like he weighed a metric ton) to act as his muscle, mostly because that was also when Vader fell on his rear end while exiting the ring.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Germansimp posted:

That was just pure stupidity, even for CZW. Let me guess, that move probably didn't even end the match, right?
Of course it didn't end the match. Mondo went on to win it and another match later the same night, and then he retired because his body was hosed up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CoolCat posted:

I really want to see short Japanese HBK...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoP6maAhhUU

wait, wrong Japanese HBK (seriously though, that theme is a proclick)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

remusclaw posted:

There should definitely be a mini era for that dreadful period where Raw all about guest hosts.
Was that around the same time Michael Cole turned heel? If so, I'll dub it the Unwatchable Era.

Of course, depending on who you ask, that era is still going strong. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

THOSE INTIMIDATING PUSH-UPS FROM THE BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY :bahgawd:

I don't remember if that was in the promo but it should have been.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Did it originate somewhere? Googling "mans meme" doesn't help me out. Is there a legendary web comic that invented this mans meme or something?
I don't know if it actually originated from there, but I first saw "mans" on Homestar Runner many years ago. It was in one of their 8-bit video game parody things, where it meant lives (because old Japanese games had bad English, you know).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

He also played a marine in a movie. That's the same thing, right? :shepface:

(seriously, he started doing that poo poo around the time The Marine was coming out)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

checksin posted:

What's the actual chronology of the Tiger Driver? I've seen that move described three different ways:
1) Tiger Driver: I've never really seen much of Misawa as Tiger Mask II, but I always thought that the Tiger Suplex (double-underhook german suplex) was his finisher, not a Tiger Driver. I can't even find footage of Tiger Mask II doing it, unless I'm an idiot who hasn't looked hard enough. Did Misawa do a special piledriver as Tiger Mask that I've just never seen?
2) Tiger Driver '91: I've seen Misawa do this a million times, which is the double-underhook kneeling piledriver/ganso bomb. Is it named the Tiger Driver '91 because it also uses a double-underhook grip (albeit backwards from the Tiger Suplex, since your opponent is facing you), just like the Tiger Suplex?
2) Tiger Driver '98: Double-underhook sitout piledriver designed to, uh, murder people? Did Misawa ever use this move, or did someone else invent it to kill indie guys?
The original Tiger Driver is not a piledriver, it's a sitout double underhook powerbomb. Misawa used it as a finisher/signature move throughout his career, and you can see him finish a match with it as Tiger Mask II here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvofWP8sqI

Tiger Driver '91 starts from the same position as the original one, but obviously ends with the head drop we all know. Misawa introduced that variation in a match with Akira Taue in, well, 1991.

Tiger Driver '98 is entirely an American indy thing, I believe.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Today I learned that Fozzy has a song called "One Crazed Anarchist". Sadly, it's not a version of Jericho's Pearl Jam ripoff WCW theme, which would have been infinitely better.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I figured, that's why I brought it up. :v:

Speaking of Jericho's WCW music, it always weirds me out when I watch a show on the Network and the song's been dubbed over with Break the Walls Down. I understand why they had to overdub it, of course, but hearing his WWE theme on a WCW show just doesn't sound right. :spergin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I recall Chris Jericho coming out ONCE to a really weird song called "King of my World" and then from the next week they were just back to Break the Walls Down.
He used "King of My World" at least twice! :eng101: It debuted at Survivor Series 2002 with Saliva performing the song live during Jericho's entrance (sadly I couldn't find a video on Youtube, but it's probably on the Network version of the PPV), and then he used the studio recording the next night on RAW. The song was actually written by Jim Johnston, so it wasn't just a case of WWE advertising the new Saliva album (which they did by using "Always" as the Survivor Series 2002 theme) and they probably meant for it to actually replace "Break the Walls Down" as Jericho's theme.

A couple of years later, Jericho used Fozzy's "Don't You Wish You Were Me?" from the WWE Originals album for... maybe two or three weeks? I thought that was a perfect fit for his obnoxious wannabe rock star persona at the time, but of course it didn't stick either. Honestly, I've never been a fan of "Break the Walls Down" because I've always thought an old school rock and metal guy like Jericho should have a more... well, rocking theme song.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My favorite thing about the Gimmick Battle Royal (aside from Heenan's "By the time Sheik makes it to the ring, it'll be Wrestlemania 38") was Nikolai Volkoff coming out to the Finnish national anthem instead of the Russian one. You'd think they'd get this one right since Volkoff used to sing the anthem before every match, but ehh, close enough, I guess.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 8, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Kennel posted:

I don't know what it is, but it's not Finnish anthem.
Sure sounded like it on the Network version at least (I'm not the most patriotic guy, but I usually manage to recognize our anthem). I looked the match up on Youtube just now, and that version has a different theme which doesn't sound anything like either anthem. Huh.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Good to know I'm not going crazy, then. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I always thought the springboard flying rear end Rey Mysterio started using when he couldn't do the West Coast Pop anymore (due to always fighting bigger guys and/or his knees exploding) looked hilariously terrible.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Can't wait for Takeover Azerbaijan
It will be called Takeover Europe

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hockles posted:

Wait, is that like when Austin hands you a beer?
I just remembered that time Austin hit Stacy Keibler with a Stunner because she wouldn't drink the beer, and JR (and the crowd, of course) approved of it. This wasn't that long after the Debra stuff, so it felt just a bit awkward.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tazz also had some prior commentary experience from ECW, working with Joey Styles while healing up from an injury. He did a pretty good job in the booth, and I remember Joey introducing him at one point by saying "My broadcast partner is called Peter Senerca, but you know him better as... Taz"

edit: Also, speaking of Jerry Lawler's anti-ECW stuff, I really didn't like it when they brought back that shtick in 2006. Back in the 90s, Lawler was this obnoxious rear end in a top hat heel so of course he'd bury ECW and everything involving it, but by 2006 he was firmly a face announcer who would make lame jokes and talk about puppies. When he'd go on an anti-ECW tirade, it felt really weird and forced because everyone knew ECW was a WWE brand now, and when he was done ranting about Extremely Crappy Wrestling and bingo halls he'd go right back to his normal face persona.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 18, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

And this was in Finland where we didn't get ECW at all, so Tazz would've been known to us only for the time he was in WWF.
Maybe if you didn't play ECW Hardcore Revolution!

(talk about extremely crappy wrestling :negative:)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The best thing about Pumaman is that his mystical abilities give him all the powers of a puma--seeing in the dark, super-strong claws, sensing danger, flying, and teleporting.
If well-known nature documentary Red Dead Redemption has taught me anything, pumas do indeed have all of these powers and more.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I totally forgot Viscera and Rosey died.

Hayabusa is the one that hit me the hardest on that list, he was one of my all-time favorites and had just recently regained enough mobility to walk into the ring one last time. :smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, watching old PWG, you can tell 2003 is like a whole different world away from where we're at today. Excalibur & Disco Machine on commentary could often come across as racist, homophobic, although a lot of it was also just reminiscent of the type of edgy "humour" white guys in their early 20s would go for because pushing boundaries was fun and it all felt free of consequence and largely harmless, and then you got a bit older and you look back on it and oh god it's embarrassing and a bit horrifying you ever thought it was funny. And yeah, it wasn't just the commentary, Chris Bosh among other of the wrestlers could be very uhhhhhhh early 2000s Internet edgy.
I recall thinking Excalibur's and Disco Machine's "Lucha Drinking Game" was the funniest thing ever when I was a 16-year-old idiot nerd. I somehow doubt it's held up very well, especially since I seem to remember there being a lot of racist comments in the vein of "hurr he stole my hubcaps" directed at Lil' Cholo whenever he was in the ring.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I still remember people wanting Kennedy to beat the Undertaker's streak. No, really, that was a thing for a while.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I didn't even find Kennedy's shtick all that great at the time, to be honest. His entrance gimmick was fun for a little while because he had a great ring announcer voice, but that poo poo got old fast and I don't remember any of his actual promo work being particularly good, or his wrestling for that matter. He certainly wasn't as bad in the ring or on the mic as some of the other guys WWE was pushing at the time, but I never saw him as more than an upper midcarder at best.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Hi guys, don't forget about me!

Edit: Apparently Mike Adamle is in the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame
http://www.niashf.org/inductees/mike-adamle/
"Early this year, Adamle announced he was diagnosed with dementia and signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy. It is believed that the past 19 years of epileptic seizures resulted from his concussions in football."

Man, that's awful. Poor guy. :smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I used to burn a bunch of CD-Rs like that to introduce my friends to older and/or non-WWE wrestling stuff. I wonder if I still have those discs somewhere.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

When I started watching in 2001, Chris Jericho was my favorite wrestler from day one and I continued to cheer him when he turned heel and won the WCW title from The Rock, and then when he won the undisputed championship later on. I think I finally started to boo him during the feud with HHH because HOLY poo poo TRIPLE H IS SO COOL :eng99: Obviously, Jericho was also booked as a total geek loser and doing stupid bullshit with Steph at that point, which was about a million times less entertaining than I was used to, so I just kinda gave up on him for a while. Of course he soon became one of my favorites again, when I started to understand how wrestling works.

As for booing faces, I don't think I had a particularly negative reaction to anyone. I started to find Bikertaker kind of lame by 2003, but I didn't actively hate him or anything even though I'd been reading forum comments about how much he sucked. I couldn't stand Cena a couple of years later, but by that point I was firmly an internet fan so that was kind of expected.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

My first exposure to Super Dragon was some video from like ten years ago with a fake Super Dragon that I remember being like Bastion Booger sized threatening to come back.

Does anyone else remember this?
Yeah, I don't remember the context for it (weird promotion for some PWG show, I'd assume) but I definitely saw that video and it's the first thing that pops up in my head whenever someone mentions fat Super Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Vince totally knew, and had made a deal not to use the WWF initials overseas because of it, but since Vince thinks contracts only applies when he wants them to, he ignored it and (rightfully) got spanked in court.
I remember watching episodes of Smackdown on Finnish TV in late 2001 and wondering why the Finnish subtitles were suddenly saying WWFE instead of WWF like they did for the first couple of months. I eventually figured it was probably for panda-related legal reasons, but at first it was really annoying to see WWFE in the subtitles when they were clearly saying WWF on the actual show. After a while they just started using "World Wrestling Federation" in the subtitles, which I found a lot less distracting.