Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Crossposted from the WWE thread:

Castomira posted:

I don't consider Moolah to have ever taken part in Women's Wrestling. I mentally sequester everything I know about her into its own terrible classification simply called "Moolah Bullshit."

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, but a pretty good case could be made for her being the sole reason women's wrestling is not taken seriously outside of Japan.
So what is this case? I've heard it a couple times, but honestly I don't know very much about her career outside of "old hag who had an enormous ego in the eighties and stank up WWF programming from 1998 to 2001." I also know she screwed over Wendi Richter, but I don't see how that would result in women's wrestling not being taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
Has there ever been a woman wrestler who could legitimately be compared to CM Punk in terms of mic ability? I've been thinking about the couple dozen or so Diva vignettes and promos I've seen since I got into wrestling, and it occurred to me that there haven't really been many women in the WWE who ever really got great on the mic. I remember Ivory being pretty good, Trish being the best of a narrow field, and now AJ Lee, but not really anybody else. Is there any woman wrestler in any promotion who people could reasonably call the best?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Vicki Guerrero

As good as she is, I'm trying not to compare wrestlers to managers with this question.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Does the WWE not do Lumberjack matches anymore? I can't think of the last time I've even seen one...

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Literally like two months ago at Payback.
Argh, it would figure there was a ton of them literally a fortnight before I started watching again. :saddowns:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Does the WWE still include banned/controlled moves in their video games, like the various piledrivers, frankensteiners, vertebreaker, et al? What about politically stigmatized moves, like the diving headbutt or crippler crossface?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Jack Krauser posted:

I don't see why the crossface and diving headbutt would still be missing from the games when Daniel Bryan exists.

Isn't Bryan's crossface different from Benoit's though? And I thought the diving headbutt was shunned because of its role in concussions and neck injuries.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

budreck posted:

I cannot figure out how a PG show geared towards kids airs until 11pm. It's a school night and most kids shouldn't be up that late.

It's only 11 PM on the East Coast. Here in Hawaii it ends at like 4 PM.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

In 2000, did the WWF try to solicit Rulon Gardner to become a professional wrestler and enter a program with Kurt Angle? I vaguely remember reading reports about this happening, but I was like twelve at the time.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Were there ever any Jakked/Metal matches that could honestly be said to be three stars or higher? I've been reading through the match results for the various shows and it's remarkable how boring I remember the matches being, even as a grade schooler.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

What, exactly, is the commentating style of Carlos Cabrera and Marcelo Rodríguez like? I don't speak a word of Spanish so I don't have any way of appreciating it, but I've often wondered if their commentary is better than Cole and Lawler's to a bilingual fan. Is Rodríguez a heel? Does he have character traits, or is he more generic? Do they do translation when a wrestler is cutting a promo in English?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Has anybody ever been DQ'ed in a Royal Rumble match? What's the kayfabe reason why somebody doesn't just bring in a steel chair and whirlwind everybody in the ring with it?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

The WCW Power Plant was a shitbox that provided an insane physical regimen and little else
This is interesting to me, because I'm curious to know why David Flair was perennially a bad wrestler. He went through the Power Plant, and then he spent a lot of time in WWE developmental before getting released. And yet he's always been crap.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Did Justin Gabriel ever do anything that got him in trouble with the booking staff? I can't imagine why he'd be a jobber so consistently, other than that he puts heels over well.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

oatgan posted:

The best spears come from guys who used to play football and actually know how to tackle someone.

Now I wish Summer Rae's finisher was a spear. :shobon:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

I hesitate to ask a question about Colt Cabana because they always seem to result in a derail, but have Raven or Goldberg ever corroborated his stories (or provided their own) about facing antisemitism while employed with the WWE?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

I honestly don't know if I can think of a more hilarious way for two men to plunge to their deaths.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

What was the deal with the WCW Light Heavyweight championship? I can't even begin to imagine who thought it would have been a good idea to introduce a new belt and then completely get rid of it a year later.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Is there any kind of pro wrestling culture in mainland China? I ask because I know a decent amount about the PRC and have never heard anybody from China talk about anything even resembling pro wrestling. Has the WWE ever done tours, house shows, etc there?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

"One Two, This on?" is probably my favorite stinger of all time, and I'm not even a fan of HHH.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

To what extent can the blame for the 2000-2001 phenomenon of "X-Pac heat" actually be placed on Sean Waltman? I hated him back then, but the more I hear about him nowadays, the more sympathetic I'm becoming to his situation at that time, especially because in retrospect he actually had a ton of really good matches. Was somebody deliberately keeping him stale because it was safe, or was it his idea to keep beating the Wolfpac/DX horse long after anybody gave a poo poo? I mean, the Acolytes and Mideon/Viscera in 2000 were both relics of defunct 1998/1999 angles, but they both got reinvented eventually. X-Pac never really did.

Also, was "Bossman heat" ever really a thing? I never remember him getting anything but honest heel heat, even during the Magic Coffin Ride phase of his career, and he seemed fine as a toady for the McMahon-Helmsley Regime. Then again, I never saw Ray Traylor when he was in WCW so I have no idea how lovely he was in that run.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

What demographics in Japan are most into NJPW, et al? Is it mostly 20 to 40 year old adult males, or is its popularity more universal? What are the chances some random middle school girl knows the name of, say, Okada?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Has Bray Wyatt actually been announced as being from Lafayette, Louisiana since leaving developmental? I know that Erick Rowan and Luke Harper being from Snake Bight hasn't been brought up.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Has either of the Usos ever been booked in a singles match? It's funny to me how, more than any two wrestlers in WWE right now, they're treated as a hivemind.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have definitely seen them in singles matches though and they're not as good as their tag matches.
Where was this? At a house show?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh I found it, it was this episode of Slam:
http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/saturday-morning-slam-taping-16776.html

I remember thinking at the time that the Kaitlyn/Nattie match was better.
Jack Swagger in February? Man, that's random as hell.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

If I'm ever in Atlanta, is it worth it to check out Abdullah's restaurant? Is it even still around?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

This has been bugging me for a while: Is there any kind of consistent logic to a professional wrestler's decision to wear a singlet, underwear-style tights, or pants-style tights? When I was a kid I thought that it was just the chiseled guys wore small tights, but there are plenty of ripped guys (Scott Steiner, et al) who wear pants. Plus you have dudes like Regal who never really looked great in the underwear-style tights, but wear them anyway. Is it just a matter of personal preference, or is there some method to it?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Has anybody ever actually used the Death Star as a finisher? It seems like too realistic a hold to ever actually use in pro wrestling, but I've seen it listed places as a pro wrestling submission.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

I've been watching some 1997 PPVs lately, and I have to ask, is there some reason WWE seems to have completely forgotten Ken Shamrock ever existed? They never promote any of his matches on their YouTube channel, never bring him up on commentary or anything, and despite being in ostensibly pretty great shape (by wrestler standards,) he's never showed up on a nostalgia show or as a surprise Rumble entrant or anything. Did he burn his bridge with WWE or quietly go crazy or something?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Ken Shamrock went very crazy
Not that it matters, but are we talking Jim Hellwig crazy, Iron Sheik crazy or Tony Halme crazy? I'm assuming not Chris Benoit crazy.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

I'm continuing to watch 1997 WWF, and what was the deal with Scott Putski? I saw him pop up on an old Raw, and apparently he was gone before too long, despite being a second-generation wrestler with a Batista-esque physique. You'd think that'd be somebody WWF would have wanted to push, and... I've never even heard of him. What happened there?

VVVV: Ah.

Castomira fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 2, 2014

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It should also be noted that the really bad part of 1995 was during Diesel's reign as champ. Things drastically improved after he lost the title in November.
So as somebody who didn't start watching until 1999, what was so bad about Diesel being champion? I keep hearing about how disastrous it was, but the only thing I know about it is that it was Kevin Nash as a world champion, which doesn't seem inherently unreasonable.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Do WWE matches still technically have time limits? I know that obviously there's no chance that it would ever actually matter, but are they even still implied to exist, or in kayfabe is it just understood that matches can hypothetically go on all day?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

Which cliches do you guys hate?
When a wrestler doesn't want the [Whatever] championship, because he's a heel and the current champion is also a heel. Yeah, Sandow, nice job waiting until Del Rio dropped the belt to Cena to cash in for the title.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

I didn't forget about this, I'm still looking but any combination of words after 'CM punk promo' bring up pages of talk about his famous promos. I tried 'punk promo bumps match', 'punk promo long', and a bunch of crap. I'll pick it up later because I know it came up in a GDT when it happened.
It was the Raw after Money in the Bank. The reason we got the half-hour RVD/Jericho match in the middle of the show is because another match got knocked off due to a Punk promo.

In hindsight, that was a good thing, because the match was pretty great and it was Jericho's last match before his departure anyway.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

I remember reading a consensus on a wrestling forum back in 2000 or so that at least one of the lyrics in Test's theme song was "Hey Kevin Nash, you don't got any come."

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

The New Age Outlaws only narrowly took the record for longest time between title reigns from Fabulous Moolah, right? She held the record of thirteen years (by pinning Ivory in 1999) until this year's Rumble. Or am I mistaken?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Hockles posted:

It's gotta be Backlund.
Oh, I get it. When the announcers say "longest time between reigns," they're talking about the tag titles only. Makes more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

When's the last time anybody used brass knuckles in WWE? Did their disappearance (if there truly was a disappearance) coincide with the switch to PG, or did it have something to do with the legality of brass knuckles in general?