Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Recently read about half of this wiki (I guess?) style page that listed the complete history of TNAs gently caress ups. Definitely found the link somewhere in psp, just can't remember the thread. Anyway I really want to read the rest but can't find it anywhere. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

That's a bingo! Thanks oldpainless.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Red posted:

I remember the name on their gear, but never saw it in any graphics or titlecards.

I didn't really get the masks, either.

Going back to Canadian Country: They put up a poll on WWE.com asking fans to name the team of Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett, with other options being things like 'Debra's Boys', and whatnot. I guess CC won, because they fought the Outlaws at a PPV or something, and Billy Gunn called them by the CC name. Then it was never mentioned again.

Haha me and my buddy still reference this from time to time. Spent an afternoon trying to come up with something great, settled for 'Debra's Duo'. Our 11-year-old brains were so loving sure that was going to be it. Don't even remember the 'Canadian Country' name though, possibly out of bitterness.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Triple H: There's a lot of bi things I am, lingual's not one of them... Hey wait a minute, did I just mean to say that?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Here's a question, what does NXT stand for anyway?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Been watching some '97 WCW, why the gently caress is Larry Zybsko so over?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Can't go wrong with Cactus Jack vs. Trips from Royal Rumble 2000.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

HHH vs Cactus is my personal favorite, and I think Angle vs Benoit is the accepted answer.

:agreed:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe this is a stupid question and maybe this has been discussed before, but if my boy D-Bry never signed with WWE he'd probably be paralyzed/dead by now, right? Did Vince McMahon save Daniel Bryan's life?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking back at the history of professional wrestling, are there many pro wrestlers who you could put in a ring with, for example, a judo guy and they'd be able to go all Ad Santel on them and win legitimately? I guess what I'm curious about is which pro wrestlers are historically (and currently) considered to be the best legitimate fighters; I've been reading a bit about the early days of pro wrestling recently and was struck by how a big reason why the Gold Dust Trio were able to establish their stranglehold on the business in its early days was because Ed Lewis was legitimately skilled enough that he could beat anyone who wouldn't follow the script.

Meng.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Also that Roman sucks

oatgan posted:

D-

see me after class

I agree. Roman does suck D-

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

He wouldn't beat them, but he would go to a double count out.

In the interest of asking a question about my joke, whenever I see old Bad News Brown matches on OSW Review, they always end with double count outs or DQ finishes and stuff and the reviewers always talk about how BNB "decided not to lose" like Hogan or Savage or Shawn Michaels did. My question is how did Bad News Brown get that kind of pull, was he like a way bigger deal than he seemed?

The dude was ready and willing (and Gable?) to fight Andre The Giant. Andre The Giant

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

To be fair to andre, by that point his back barely worked so fighting him would be like fighting a gigantic, drunk, teddy bear.

Hey man, some dudes are into that sort of thing. I won't judge.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I once went to an Indy show in a lovely sports bar in Calgary, it had live commentary by Bad News Brown and Razor Ramon II. That is my story.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hulk Hogan is the loving best.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Minidust posted:

I've always loved when people with a very peripheral knowledge of wrestling have some point that they INSIST on. A few big ones from my own time in high school were:

- There were TWO Ultimate Warriors (prob the most common of all rumors among lapsed early-'90s fans). First one either committed suicide or died of a "steroid overdose."

- Wrestlers would have blood capsules stitched into their foreheads; you can tell because people don't normally bleed like that.

- There's this little-known wrestling company called ECW that is 100% real!!!

Never heard of the blood capsules stiched into their forehead, did hear a lot about a bottle of ketchup hidden under the ring though, because that makes sense.

My favourite part of this mentality is when they're just so convinced that they're right. And naturally because you watch wrestling, which everyone knows is obviously fake, you don't know what you're talking about.

Only semi-related, but do not under any circumstances stances try to explain poo poo like the Starrcade '97 main event, or even Montreal to this type of person. You will look stupid.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Mob posted:

Every year I do a Royal Rumble chili that has 30 ingredients

Do you add one ingredient every two minutes?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

2002 was peak "look at us, we're edgy" for pop culture so I'm sure they thought it was subversive at the time.

Ah the good ole days :allears:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Who's gonna be the surprise entrant in the Rumble?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I think the real question is how can John Cena possibly lift Big Show up for the AA?!?

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 19, 2017

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

Of course it would, but they didn't want Rey to be an official Bell to Bell winner because it was more important for HHH to be #1 and last until the end.

What's the difference?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Attitude Era Raw Theme: ITS THE SOLAR BEEF

Question: did Hogan ever tag with Andre? I feel like I would have heard about it if they had, but it seems like something too awesome to have not happened, perhaps at a random house show or something.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

How do you pronounce Foochs? Does it rhyme with books? Or is it like pooch, like a dog, but then with a 's' on the end? Or something else entirely?

I hope it's the books one. Because then I really want to hear Noam Dar say the beautiful SamuraiFoooooooochs.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

2014 Royal Rumble is probably a Batista Must-See Match.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Question: Can you think of any major stars (ie: ppv main events, at least a run or two with a world title) that didn't initially get over as a heel? I've got Sting and I guess Steamboat (though even he doesn't really fit my criteria of major star). Anyone else?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Andre works.

I considered Bret, but the Hart Foundation were always heels were they not? Brets early singles career is one I'm (as a Calgarian) sadly unfamiliar with, did it start as a face run? He was definitely face when he was in Stampede, but would that have been known to the general audience?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Thauros posted:

an obvious one I don't think anyone has mentioned with is Goldberg.

One more I just thought of, Ultimate mother loving Warrior. Did he ever work heel?

Bad Wolf posted:

They were heels for a good long while, but they turned face by turning on their manager, Jimmy Hart. (Or he turned on them, I'm not quite sure) There was a storyline where they were still officially under contract with him, so he'd show up at their matches and give the heel team and manager tips on how to beat them.

This sounds amazing.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 23, 2017

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Warrior and Sting were both heels early in their careers.

As in the Blade Runners? Interesting, I always just assumed they were face.

Davros1 posted:

Oh, it's better than that. The storyline also revealed that Jimmy still controlled a portion of their contracts, so when Hart and Neidhart would win a match, Jimmy would give their winnings to The Fabulous Rougeaus.

I loving love this so much. They should bring managers back just to redo this storyline. Somehow I'm not sure if it would work with Brock and Heyman.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 23, 2017

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah, wait, what the gently caress? Was Scott not around yet? If you're about to tell me the Steiners aren't shoot brothers either we're going to fight or I'm going to cry, possibly both.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Venomous posted:

Not sure if this deserves a thread or not, but whatever. What matches are the best examples of pure in-ring storytelling? Like, they don't have to be flashy or anything, just matches with good self-contained stories and that.

Great question.
For me the easy answers would be both Michaels/Taker matches at Wrestlemania 25/26, as well as Austin/Rock from mania 17. Seeing Stone Cold pull out all the stops and hit drat near every signature move from his entire career just to beat the most important rival he's ever faced at the biggest show of the era, and the ultimate reveal that he made a deal with the devil to regain his cherished title, that was some good poo poo.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

It's been mentioned but I'm gonna have to second the Daniel Bryan Monster video. Seriously, watch this poo poo again:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU
They set the story up perfectly and really make you empathize with Bryan's underdog character and the huge uphill battle he's facing. It's far and away my favourite video package they've ever produced.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

You're in Soo-play City, bitch!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just off the top of my head:

Andre the Giant
Bob Backlund (dq)
Antonio Inoki
Brock Lesnar
Ron Bass
Jerry Lawler (dq)

Any context for the Ron Bass loss? He's the only name I don't know and wiki isn't doing me any favours (much like Hulk didn't for 99% of his opponents, hey-ooo).

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

He also got super fat and lost a toe

What's the story on the missing toe?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Going a bit old school here: what's the history of table spots in wrestling? Who started it? Where? When? Why?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

About 10 years ago a guy got so mad at a heel that he left an indie show, drove home and came back with an axe. Why yes this was in the South.

WWE is just bad at what it does.

That made me laugh and I appreciate this post. Remember the time Jericho decked a lady after a show? :allears:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ernest Miller was pretty cool, but Screaming Norman Smiley was pretty cool too (maybe more?) and also one of my favourite memories from late WCW. What are your favourite memories of late WCW?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

Lance Storm winning all the undercard titles and giving them Canadian names was a highlight for me

gently caress yes. Saskatchewan Hardcore International Title 4 Life.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

That whole twenty minute stretch that went from Se7en bothering skivone through a spooky window followed by an elaborate funeral Lex Luger threw for himself, followed by Lex Luger flexing at the crowd for several minutes, followed by Hulk Hogan telling a doctor to "Cut the drat pants off, man!" before being assaulted by Sting.

Wtf that sounds amazing, do you know what show this was on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

My favourite part is Stings out of nowhere attack at the end and Tony's complete indifference afterward. And how the doctor was really just annoyed by the assault more than anything, like it's a real loving inconvenience for him getting pushed over because Hulk just had his leg smashed out of his leg.

Also curious to see the toy commercial with Goldberg, that looks special.