Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Ultragonk posted:

This is probably a stupid question but is Jerry Lawler considered a good worker? I don't really have much experience of his matches but he seems to be able to take bumps when he's asked to.

In certain quarters he's considered one of the greatest of all time. Not a stellar athlete but a master of timing, selling etc.

Why are New Jack's matches edited off the Network footage? Another rights issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Can anyone explain what the deal is with CMLL's different TV shows? From what I can tell there's like, 5 different weekly shows? Is there a tiering there like RAW > Smackdown > Main Event > Superstars?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
So in my brief time exploring lucha I've noticed that first fall submission holds often lead to an immediate submission. I guess this makes sense from the perspective that it's better to give up early rather than sit in a damaging hold for ages and have to go in to subsequent falls with a damaged limb, but do the announcers sell it like that?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
When was the first time Undertaker did a dive to the outside?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I think that depends on what promotion you were watching. In 70s southern wrestling bloody brawls were the norm in main events, I think.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
When's the last time extended brawling in the crowd was actually entertaining?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
oh yeah

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

magnum_valentino posted:

Did Charles Wright go off TV as Kama Mustafa and then come back as Godfather? Was it acknowledged that they were the same person in some way? Or was the transition actually addressed like with Mabel and Viscera?

It was a gradual transition I think, so yeah they're the same person in kayfabe terms.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The attitude era was probably the last time WWE were actually keyed in to the popcultural zeitgeist so I don't think the South Park stuff was such a bad idea. Of course the popcultural zeitgeist of the time was incredibly embarrassing in retrospect but that's another issue.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The dumbest wrestling move in both kayfabe and real terms is the springboard legdrop to the floor that Johnny the Bull tore his urethra doing on a random Nitro.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9GzcxppZA&t=34s

Who are all the guys here? I get Giant Baba, Inoki, Abdullah, Road Warrior Hawk, Hogan and possibly Mil Mascaras but drawing a blank on the other two.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Pet Rock Band posted:

What big main event match in wrestling / PPV history had the most nearfalls / two counts?

I'd be shocked if it isn't an AJPW/NOAH match

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
When did AJPW count outs go from 10 to 20? And since I haven't watched any 80s NJPW did they used to have 10 counts too and if so did they change around the same time?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Thauros posted:

I didn't know AJPW ever used 10 counts.

20 counts seem to be basically used everywhere now except for WWE and TNA. All major Japanese and Mexican promotions as well as ROH and the other significant US indies all use them now.

Here's a 10 count example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2n_O1EMnAg&t=1133s

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Found a RVD/Stan Hansen vs. Kawada/Kobashi match and was wondering what's been the biggest gap between the ability of one guy in a multi man match and the average ability of every other guy in there? Did Khali ever have a match where every other guy was an incredible worker?

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 29, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Burt Buckle posted:

What is considered the heyday of New Japan Pro Wrestling?

Business-wise their early-to-mid 90s run with Hashimoto on top and the UWF feud where they were selling out the Tokyo Dome multiple times per year. Work-wise probably the 80s for the heavyweights, 90s for the juniors.

Right now is nowhere close to either the 80s or 90s in terms of business, personally I don't think it is in terms of work either but opinions and all.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 29, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I just watched this and was wondering what's the record for most instant replays of a single spot in a match? I imagine Mankind's bump at KOTR 98 has to be up there.

edit: I remember them replaying Taka landing face first on the floor at Royal Rumble 2000 a ton of times too

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 31, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The WWF was obviously pretty high on Ahmed Johnson for a while there and he was extremely over with the fans too. He picked a really lovely time to get injured around late 96-early 97. By the time he got back Austin was obviously The Guy. I could've seen him getting a world title run if not for the combination of those two factors.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
When matches can only end with finishers you need to start kicking out of them to have believable near falls. This is a problem for both WWE and NJPW right now.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Can anyone remember examples of the production truck accidentally playing a guy's music too early and telegraphing the winner of the match? I'm sure it happened in WCW at least once.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why do they use fast 20 counts in NJPW instead of theatrical 10 counts?

It's just like WWE in that they'll use as fast a count as appropriate for whatever they're trying to get over. If it's "come on guys get the gently caress back in the ring" it's a fast count, if they're teasing a count out it's a slower count, which a 20 count works better for than a 10 count imo. As for historical reasons why I don't know other than AJPW as an NWA territory used to do a ton of double count out finishes and when they switched to all clean finishes some time in the late 80s/early 90s they switched from 10 to 20 counts, presumably to get over the fact that there wouldn't be so many double count outs any more. Don't know if NJPW is the same deal or if they always used 20 counts as I haven't seen much 80s stuff from them.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
whens the last time there was a time limit draw in WWE?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

HulkaMatt posted:

Does beat the clock count?

NO!!!!!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Writer Cath posted:

I think they did do a few supershows in the past, but I can't even begin to imagine how burned out a crowd would be after that much wrestling.

Didn't they used to tape 4 RAWs in a row back when it was an hour long? That would've been the same amount.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
They used We're All Together Now for a period in there for a while and kept using the opening riff for the bumper music for years after

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Why are the CMLL Arena México shows from a few years ago so much better produced than the ones now? Much better lighting and crowd micing...did their attendances really fall off that bad in just a few years?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Burt Buckle posted:

Does CMLL do iPPVs? I can pretty much see all of AAA via their official YouTube and iPPV, and I can see individual matches from CMLL via a Dailymotion site, but I'm not even going to bother following them if I can't see their big shows/PPVs.

I've been watching AAA for a month or two and I really like it.

As far as I know they don't do PPVs? All the big matches make TV a week or so after the fact and then thecubsfan's YouTube/DailyMotion like a week after that. The average match quality there is hardly great so I'm fine just watching the good stuff.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
As someone who just started watching CMLL, what is the deal with Rush and La Sombra (and maybe some other guys too, La Máscara I think?) being billed as técnicos but clearly being heels? I think I get the inverse, with someone like Negro Casas being a rudo but being beloved by the fans because he's been around for so long and is so charismatic but the Rush thing confuses me.

edit:

quote:

The title match took place on February 22 and saw Rush defeat Ephesto to become the new CMLL World Light Heavyweight Champion.[17][18] In response to the backlash over his sudden push, Rush acknowledged his many detractors by posting a list of the various moves he could do in the ring, while also promoting his youth, strength and physique.

i really want john cena to do this

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 12, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The Bull Nakano/Shinobu Kandori chain match is great too.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Sanguinia posted:

Oh man, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Thinking on it, I actually wouldn't put it past Mick Foley to make a magical tiara out of flaming barbed wire and throw it at people as a finisher.

I would

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
That seems extremely unlikely

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
What was the first promotion to produce their own entrance music?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Reigns not being a great seller is only a problem because WWE feels the need to force all their top guys into the same mould. He shouldn't be wrestling 20 minute give-and-take matches he should be destroying guys in less than 10 minutes. Going from a protected role as the untouchable cleanup hitter in The Shield to wrestling in the same way as every other guy on the roster is going to slowly destroy his mystique. Personally I'd rather he learn to work because I have no interest in another Goldberg but I don't think it's a necessity for him to be successful, they just need to play to his strengths which unfortunately for him the modern WWE is terrible at doing.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 20, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Can anyone think of any insider terminology that has taken on a kayfabe meaning? Thinking of stuff like 'ring awareness' and 'ring general'.

edit: I guess you hear 'stiff' used on commentary quite a bit now but that still sounds business-exposing to me.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

TL posted:

I think I remember ring awareness and ring general being used as a kid, usually in reference to Bret Hart IIRC. They really aren't that "inside" and make sense from a kayfabe perspective. They imply that a wrestler is highly skilled at controlling the action in the ring and getting the opponent to play into his game plan.

To me 'ring awareness' means being in place for spots but in kayfabe means knowing where you are in relation to the ropes, the corner, and tag team partners if there are any. 'Ring general' means what you said in kayfabe but in insider terminology means a guy who can have a good match with anyone/is capable of carrying people. I assume the insider terms predate the usage of them on commentary but I don't know really.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
triple threat matches are largely bad, imo

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Who were the biggest 90s indie draws to never get signed by one of the big three? I remember hearing a lot about Reckless Youth.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 20, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Thauros posted:

While he never had a major role, Chris Daniels actually had televised matches for WWF, WCW, and ECW so he really doesn't count. http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=452&page=20

He was one of the guys we found who had worked matches for all five of the biggest modern US promotions (Big 3 + TNA and ROH) when we were trying to compile a list a few years ago.

Haha yeah you caught my post before editing but despite wrestling for all of the big three I don't think he ever actually wrestled a match while under contract to any of them?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
fun fact: gangrel holds tag victories over kawada, kobashi, taue and jumbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

EugeneJ posted:

TNA won both Best Weekly Television Show and Worst Promotion in 2012

iirc that was more due to the wwe vote being split across like 3 different shows than anything

edit: yeah
1. TNA IMPACT (122) 1,043

2. Ring of Honor (73) 926
3. WWE NXT (61) 869
4. WWE Monday Night Raw (76) 828
5. WWE Main Event (85) 819
6. Dragon Gate Infinity (65) 781
7. WWE Smackdown (28) 591
8. Bellator (60) 433
9. New Japan World Pro Wrestling (62) 401
10. Fight Factory (36) 289

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 24, 2014