Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What was the deal with that bit in late-era WCW when Savage announced his new protege, and then it was never mentioned again?

How did Mean Gene Okerlund get his nickname?

When people talk about Vince yelling into the announcer's mics, are they being literal or metaphorical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
In the WWF Aki games for the N64, Vince McMahon has a special move called the "Mac Stunner" that's a variation on the Stone Cold Stunner. Did Vince ever try to use this move on WWF TV?

(Also, any finishing move for Vince should just be called "What a Maneuver".)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
In rec.sport.pro-wrestling, Neidhart jokes were so common that when asking questions that used the word "who," people would add "(n. N.)" for "not Neidhart."

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Who invented the 10 punch in the corner?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Why did they have Mongo disappear forever after getting detergent thrown in his eyes, and not have anyone else replace him in the Four Horsemen?

(I'm guessing, that like most dead ends in WCW, there was no good explanation)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
My parents got me an autographed picture of Chris Benoit.

It came with a free autographed picture of Jimmy Snuka.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
How many times had Andre lost before Wrestlemania III? I've seen the match where Inoki made him tap out, and I've heard of another match in Japan where he lost by ref stoppage, but are there any others?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Anyone know where I could read a thorough recounting of the whole Benoit tragedy online?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I was under the impression that Sid's streak was serious up until Russo took over, but I wasn't watching WCW that often at the time.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
When exactly did Vince admit that wrestling was fake?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I haven't kept up with Scott Keith in recent years, but I thought his reviews were hilarious around the turn of the century. Why is he so hated? (And yes, I'm aware that there plenty of people who hated him even back then)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
How far back does the "titles don't change hands on a DQ or count out" rule go?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What did Too Cool use as a finisher? I'm pretty sure that they never won a match with the Worm.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Has the WWE been to Denver since the whole Nuggets incident? I can imagine Vince being petty enough to stay away from there on purpose.

Oh, and the Rock was definitely a face when he slammed Bulldog into the dog poop. I also remember that he screwed Bulldog out of the title as a special referee for no reason at all. "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ROCK SAYS THE COUNT IS!"

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I don't remember it leading to an actual match (and if it did, it probably wasn't any good), but the Ernest Miller/Scott Norton feud was pretty amusing.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did Chyna really break one of her implants during a match, and if so, how did it happen?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What was the deal with those Benoit-Booker T TV title changes at house shows in 1998 that were never mentioned on TV?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Foley mentioned in his book that the most memorable weapon that a fan brought was a Leonard Cohen album.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Has there ever been an Iron Man tag match?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Goldberg was also US Champ when he beat Hogan for the title.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Were there rope breaks in ECW?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What was the deal with Joel Gertner's neckbrace? I watched ECW on TNN, and they never explained it.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Why did Hulk Hogan get fired from his last stint in WWE? (I wasn't watching during that time period)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I know very little about Japanese wrestling, but I remember that a Japanese masked wrestler named "Little Dragon" appeared a few times on WCW TV.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Who created the term "Muta Scale"?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The wikipedia entry for pro wrestling says that "Historians are unsure at what point wrestling changed from competitive catch wrestling into worked entertainment." What schools of thought are there on when it changed?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Was there a backstage reason that Bret Hart never officially joined the NWO?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I vaguely remember a match in WCW in 1998 or '99 where someone bled hardway from the shoulder. Does anyone else remember this match and who it was?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
EDIT: Beaten badly.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I understand that by the time that wrestling really hit it big in the mid-80's, Andre the Giant was just a shell of his former self. Did he have any really good matches earlier in his career that are worth watching?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
HHH beat Spike Dudley with a sleeper about a decade ago.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Goldust's match against the Warrior is the 4' 33" of wrestling- he was injured and the entire match is just them walking around the ring for eight minutes.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The Hogan-Hart Nitro match where Bret got injured, Sting took his place in the middle of the match and then got betrayed by Bret was really, really stupid.

At least, that's how I remember it. wwe.com mentioned it in a feature called "10 dream matches that actually happened" and didn't even mention how it ended, probably because they were embarrassed.

quote:

On a Mount Rushmore of great WWE heroes, Hulk Hogan and Bret “Hit Man” Hart would be butting heads alongside “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and Bruno Sammartino. It might come as a surprise then that the two Superstars who dominated the WWE Title picture for much of the early ’90s never actually squared off in a WWE ring.

A match between the two WWE Hall of Famers could’ve easily headlined a WrestleMania — and, according to Hart, nearly main evented SummerSlam 1993. Instead, it was offered up for free on the Sept. 28, 1998, edition of WCW’s Nitro in a major grab for viewers during the ongoing Monday Night War. The bold move seemingly paid off as Nitro edged out Raw in the Nielsen’s that night, but it proved to be shortsighted as WCW lost all but one ratings battle from then on.

As for “Hit Man” and The Hulkster? They never met in singles action again.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/classic-lists/10-dream-matches-that-actually-happened/page-2

EDIT: The match in question, with French announcers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzP8KmRmNY I love the "OTHER CHANNEL JACKASS" sign.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 20, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did Chris Jericho ever win a match with the one foot pin?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I wish I could find footage of the Ding Dongs getting booed out of the building.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Onmi posted:

The term itself? Not sure, I think the term "Ruthless Aggression" however came about first from either an Angle or a McMahon promo where they mentioned the concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Figwyag4emE

I'm pretty sure it was a McMahon promo. I remember groaning the second time he used the phrase because I knew we would get it shoved down our throats.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

MassRafTer posted:

They did a nothing match full of stalling that ended in a count out on PPV. Warrior was going to be their big draw and Goldust was IC champion, they didn't want either to lose and had to work around an injury... and Warrior being in the ring.

I remember Scott Keith giving that match -*****. I don't think they even made contact.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
"Plane Ride from Hell" would be a great name for a finisher.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This is kind of a weird question, but has anyone made a gallery of all the ridiculous shirts that The Rock would wear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

magnum_valentino posted:

Why is WWE so deplorably awful? When's the last time we saw a swingin' dick on Raw?

Someone's forgotten about the streaking Mideon angle.