Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

How did Superstars tapings work back in the late '80s / early '90s? As a kid I'd get spoilers from a wrestling radio show on a local college station, and it felt like I was hearing about things months before they would air on TV. I'm sure it just felt longer in my distant kid memory... I'm guessing they'd tape like 4 shows at a time and then maybe have that in the can for a week or two before going on TV?

What sticks out the most was hearing about Bret winning the WWF title at a house show, and then waiting for what seemed like forever to see him actually have the belt on TV.

Also would they have dark matches with big name talent wrestling each other, or was the live crowd really just watching an entire show of squash matches?

The tapings would be 4+ hours long and at the end they'd run a quick Hogan squash so people wouldn't leave. They would tape a lot of TV at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What are the best top-to-bottom WCW PPVs? For the purposes of this question, I'll be specific and say WCW rather than NWA. It always seems like there's something really bad for every good thing on every show, though admittedly I'm not too well-up on 1992 or thereabouts.

Bash 89 as mentioned plus Spring Stampede 94 and 99.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Weren't the 2001 ones all pretty solid from an in-ring perspective?

Sin and Super Brawl are pretty boring but Greed is great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spuckuk posted:

Is there any wrestler out there that wrestles as safely as ZSJ does while also making it entertaining?

Who are the other mat wizards I should be looking out for?

Hechicero is as good as ZSJ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Did wrestling fans in the past know that it was predetermined? I did a bit of reading and it looks like in the 1920s, Strangler Lewis, a legit grappler, started working matches so they would be more exciting than three hour headlock fests. And I assume some of those early fans thought they were still watching a "legitimate" sport because on some level they had been a few years earlier.

By the time I start watching in the late 90s, nobody is pretending anymore. Fans appreciate it for what it is. Vince apparently "admits" the truth in the late 80s to deregulate wrestling, and the fanbase doesn't drop out. So they mostly must have known on some level. Watching 80s wrestling, it's also super obvious.

But what I'm wondering is did fans of say, Lou Thesz, know that what they were watching was predetermined? Having access to MMA now we know what "real" fighting looks like, and it's nothing like even a 1940s wrestling match, but it was considerably less ridiculous (and less fun) in the old days.

Matches have been worked for 150 years. Wrestling was banned in the 1860s in Paris for predetermined matches. People would regularly accuse matches of being frauds through the rest of the 19th century. It was widely known to be worked by the 30s, and was obvious visually as the style changed during that time and there were public double crosses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can’t remember who exactly but there was a newspaper poll in the ‘70s about whether wrestling was real or fake, and one of the bigger wrestling promoters at the time told his boys the vast majority would vote that it was real. Then the poll came out and it was something like 95% of readers knew it was fake

It was in Charlotte or Greensboro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

One of the only redeeming things about JBL is how much he loathes Mil Mascaras. I think MM was a poo poo to him when he worked Mexico (yes, for real, JBL used to tour with CMLL as Vampiro's tag partner) and he never let it go.

Mil is one of the biggest stars in wrestling history and a fantastic performer so he should be a poo poo to losers like JBL. Mil Mascaras is the loving best and people who don't like him are mostly stupid.

The Cameo posted:

I like how you ignored “he also no-sold Stan Hansen”

Are we going to pretend Mil Mascaras is more important or more over than Andre the loving Giant here

Mil’s an rear end in a top hat and full of poo poo

He is more important and less racist than Andre.

Also Andre was a huge rear end in a top hat who would refuse to sell for people and try to beat people up for real in the ring, so why would you bring him up here? And one of the times Andre tried Maeda beat the loving poo poo out of him.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 5, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alaois posted:

okay but did he defeat more or less aztec mummies than El Santo

A similar number. I liked the Mil Mascaras movie I've seen more than the Santo movies I've seen so another point for Mil.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Is Mil actually a shooter or is that bullshit

I've never heard him talked about like that unlike Blue Demon or Ray Mendoza

Yes he was a high level judo player.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

What did Mil even DO, anyway? I went to his Wikipedia page and saw he was basically one of a holy trinity with El Santo and Blue Demon and he introduced Lucha Libra moves to Japan audiences. What more did he do? What are some of his famous matches and moments that supposedly made him such a Badass Of Asskick Mountain that he stopped being professional for the last forty or so years?

Another question: after watching a video that showed off the Dudleys in the earliest days of their WWE career, with the tye die and the stuttering gimmick retread, I was reminded that in the last years of their ECW run, supposedly the Dudleys got nuclear heat by going on the mike and insulting the crowds. Considering this is the ultra-jaded ECW audience, most of whom were fully in the grip of teenage 'I know the world better than anyone and gently caress it and I don't care and gently caress you' malaise, I really don't know what they could say to get a reaction so intense they supposedly nearly started riots more than once. So what was their schtick? Was this heat just exaggerated?

He didn't just introduce those moves to Japan, he helped pave the way for the introduction of that style. He dramatically influenced a generation of Japanese kids, and it was a member of his fan club that really helped kickstart the lucharesu style in the 90s. He was a giant star in Japan, a giant star in several US territories and the third biggest star in the history of Mexico.

Unfortunately most of his US and Mexican matches don't exist on tape. Almost nothing of the LA territory exists (I think there's a tag with him and Thesz out there) and almost nothing from UWA exists as well. So it's not easy to say hey go watch these matches. But luckily a lot of All Japan exists so you can watch his matches with The Destroyer and with Jumbo and those kick rear end.

Asking why Mil has an ego is like asking why Hogan has an ego except Mil was an actual impressive athlete. Plus he's in his 70s and still wrestling a few matches a year because he is the man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Why was his son Dos Caras, anyway? Seems like a long drop to go from a thousand to two?

He's his brother, I wouldn't give my brother anything as cool as I've got.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mil owns because he basically told people he only no sold if your offense looked like poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Dude, i know you think all these stories make Mil sound awesome, they actually make him sound like a mark for himself that maybe needs to remember it's fake.

Dude, I know you think one of the biggest stars in wrestling history thinking Mil is great means he's not great, but you are silly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

MassRafTer and Ringo Roadagain are big fans of the dude who raises money for the LAPD

We're gonna have to cancel Mil Mascaras.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

It's based on the old JCP/Mid-Atlantic/NWA US title. Just like the new NWA World Tag Team belts are the ones from the early 80s.

Yeah we know it loving sucks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Were Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon meant as a joke or where they seriously supposed to replace Hall and Nash?

It was partly an attempt to replace them and partly a ratings stunt to make people think Hall and Nash were returning. WCW sent them a legal letter in response since both companies were suing or threatening to sue each other constantly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't Bischoff give Nash and Hall a big raise as well to stop them "going"? Or did I make that up because it sounds like something he would do and I convinced myself?

They have told that story but all signs point to it being made up. They got their really big raises later on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

You have an odd definition of "best".

He's really great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

How bad was Inokiism New Japan anyway

I know it's objectively bad because it almost bankrupted them, but was the wrestling bad

A lot of it is. People will point to good matches, but it's Japan it's hard to have a period without some really good matches. There's a lot of talent. But they pushed some really bad wrestlers in major spots and botched other guys terribly. Stuff like the Chyna push was not the exception to what was going on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Was Enzo ever a draw for WWE? On places like wreddit people say he helped grow 205 Live but I’m skeptical about that.

They thought he was to the point that they planned 205 Live house shows to play off his perceived star power. Then he got fired and they predictably flopped. They probably would have either way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

I watch a ton of Japanese comedy and he's brought up fairly often as a celebrity that's easy to parody and fairly well regarded. I think the most offensive thing he's done is almost driving NJPW into the ground because he was stubborn

There's the huge amounts of corruption and membership in the Make Japan Great Again party...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

What are some great Vader matches in NJPW? One list recommended vs Inoki and another match vs Hashimoto. Watching the Hashimoto one now.

Edit: I'm not going to watch the one where his loving eye pops out and then he puts it back in don't tell me to watch that.

Edit2: Wait how were MMA gloves a thing in 1989? I thought in those days it was bare knuckle.

Edit3: Holy poo poo that dropkick lol.

Watch his matches in UWFi instead.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are some standout Mike Awesome matches that aren’t against Masato Tanaka? I’ve seen those all before.

It's a 6 man but watch the Double Hell Electified Barbed Wire Exploding pool death match from FMW. It's not like a standout Mike Awesome performance but you absolutely need to see it.

His match with Kenta Kobashi is really good although not in the top 100 of Kobashi matches.

He had two good matches with Scott Steiner in WCW. One at Bash at the Beach 2000, and one on TV. I can't remember which TV match it was but I feel like it was on Nitro in the fall.

I really liked his match with Booker T on Nitro in the summer of 2000.

But none of those are really on the level of the Tanaka matches, especially the one from Westchester in December of 99. Best title match in ECW history.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

WWE is a public company so we know about their finances. Somehow people seem to know how NJPW is doing financially and they post graphs on twitter or whatever. So those are the number 1 and 2 feds in the world.

Which would be the number three fed in the world? CMLL? Another Japanese fed?

CMLL easily and if you went by live attendance it would be #2.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

titties posted:

Same with flair vs savage

Flair loved that spot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I spent my time on the Prodigy Classic BBs and Wrestlechat listening to Bob Ryder tell us how WCW made record profits in 1998 and thus everything was OK.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

i have a very specific question that does not deserve its own thread: will ospreay's move the "one man spanish fly", any word on why its called that? only thing i can think of is that ospreay is saying he's doing all the "work" on the move, but i dont think even will ospreay is dumb enough to have a signature move with a kayfabe breaking name. i just cant figure out any other implication, and the name doesnt really make sense for a standing spanish fly otherwise.

it just really bothers me whenever kevin kelly says it, ospreay's got a lot of super dumb move names but that takes the cake.

The Spanish Fly was originally a double team move done by the SAT.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

Who was the SAT

Jose and Joel Maximo the Spanish Announce Team. They were all over early ROH and TNA. Not as influential or good as Amazing Red but they still did a lot of impressive stuff for the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Adaptabullshit posted:

I'm curious about the prevalence of Mexican influence in Japanese wrestling. Ultimo Dragon's Toryumon system is famous, but I've noticed that there are a lot of indie wrestlers in Japan that got trained in Mexico (outside of the Dragon system), so I would be interested to know how all of these guys got the idea to go to Mexico.

Part of it is the influence of Mil Mascaras. Mascaras was a huge star in the late 60s and early 70s and influenced not just a generation of wrestlers but also some of the writers like Wally Yamaguchi. He and Gran Hamada (who had gone to Mexico on excursion and wrestled a very lucha based style) formed UPW in the early 90s which was a lucha based promotion in Japan that used luchadors as well as Asai and the future M-Pro founders. So you have Asai who owes his stardom to Mexico and Wally who was a huge proponent of the style going on to form two of the most influential groups of the next ten years.

The line basically goes Mil coming to Japan to Hamada going to Mexico, to Asai going, UPW kind of bringing it all together and then Toryumon and M-Pro forming after that. (Although Ultimo was in WAR first.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Today I learned that in his 11-year career, Yoshi-Hashi has yet to hold any sort of championship. Not even a tag or 6-man championship. What other wrestlers have gone so long since their debut without holding any gold?
Even other career mid-carders, and even many jobbers, I can think of picked up minor titles somewhere along the line before they reached the 10-year mark in their career. So far the only other person I can come up with is Steve Lombardi, who made his debut in 1983 and didn't win a championship anywhere until 1998.

It wasn't that uncommon Japan when titles weren't handed out like candy. Mitso Momota had a middling career and didn't win any titles until 19 years into it.

There is also the greatest pro wrestler of all time, Sakuraba who has never held any championship except winning the UFC Japan tournament.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Is that not the exact same thing AJ Styles did when he broke the neck of the guy who killed himself this week

No, not at all.

AJ basically blamed him for taking the move wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

It was different with AJ because NJPW or whoever wanted to sell this as AJ being a threat, I don't think AJ went out of his way to gloat about it. AJ's saved people quite a few times from getting hosed by the Styles Clash in WWE by moving a different way.

From an interview with Lionheart in the Mirror...

quote:

Q: Watching the match it appears Styles may not have been telling the truth when he suggested he didn't know you were badly hurt at the time, as he was captured on PCW cameras making a mocking gesture and shaking his head. He could also be heard to say "cashing cheques and breaking necks, that’s how it works". Did this behaviour, or him releasing a t-shirt referring to the incident, anger you?

A: His behaviour bothered me yes. When he said he didn't know, he out and out lied. He clearly did, and no doubt can be cast in that when you watch the footage. The t-shirt thing, hey it was smart. He capitalised on a situation, some thought it was poor taste and I get that. But to be honest, the t-shirt wasn't a massive deal for me. I've done it myself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

It's bizarre to me that people still tucked their chins after several other workers got hosed up doing it, and after AJ probably repeatedly told them backstage not to do that

I understand that you're trained to tuck your chin but it's a front bump. Do they also tuck their chins when they take a flapjack

You aren't inverted when you are taking a flapjack, they are very different bumps. It is very hard to train yourself to go against your instincts. When I'm inverted on aerial silks and falling we're told to tuck your chin, same as a wrestler. There are exceptions to this where you'd land like a Styles Clash if you did and it's very hard to remember not to tuck your chin even when your instructor has told you not to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

High Fly Flow is a way better move than either the AA or the RB. Several top guys have done splashes as finishers.

I actually think giving wrestlers safe moves is good though - I'd rather see people Rock Bottomed than piledriven (piledrivered?). The performer gets it over, and the Rock Bottom was over.

The traditional piledriver is completely safe and probably wears you down less than a Rock Bottom.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Has anybody been injured by a rock bottom?

People have been injured by piledrivers.

Edit: lol at calling any move "completely safe"

Please name one person who has been injured by a traditional piledriver.

Edit: I mean to say "completely protected" but I'll go with completely safe. I'm sure there's someone who has been injured by one since people get injured on hip tosses, but I can't think of one.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 22, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Most obvious answer is Owen but that was a jumping variant wasn't it?

The piledriver Owen broke Austin's neck with is closer to a tombstone than a traditional piledriver.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let's not forget The Undertaker is so sloppy with the tombstone he hurt Hulk Hogan's neck and caused him to lose feeling in his arm for years after their match and Hogan's head didn't even hit the ground.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Meltzer was saying on Twitter that the "escape the cage" finish predates WWF/E going back to the Sheik needing to lose a match but not wanting to get pinned.

Bruno's cage matches were done via escape but he'd kill his opponents and then leave them laying.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Didn't they ban it because too many people botch it?

People botch tombstone variations. Almost no one botches the traditional piledriver because it has built in protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just hated that Macho gave Warrior five elbowdrops in a row and Warrior still kicked out. It became even more perplexing when I learned that Savage booked the match that way himself. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't care if his finisher was devalued because he was actually serious about retirement, as I believe his plan was to start a family with Liz at the time.

He was only going to retire for a short time to get off steroids so he could have kids and would return after he could start gassing again. Savage usually hated putting people over strong but every once in awhile he felt like it.

His best WCW matches came like that when he decided he wanted to put over DDP (of course he won the feud though.) His absolute worst were when he didn't want to put anyone over and was hurt so he decided to hurt people with the elbow drop since he he didn't want to land on his hip so badly anymore.