Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

5760 shirts per day??? Over 2 million Austin shirts in a year????
Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch - there were over 10 million people watching Raw/Nitro every week in the US alone. I have no idea what the viewership worldwide was, but let's just say it's 20 million total for WWF, that's still just 10% of viewers buying shirts.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

budreck posted:

There has to be some truth if numerous wrestlers have been accused of it for the past 20 years. Didn't Sean Waltman admit to it once?

Oddly enough just two days ago I saw clips of both Nash and Waltman's shoots and they referenced lots of poo poo stories. Waltman put Nash's poo poo in Sunny's sandwich. Nash and "a bunch of the boys" all poo poo into a pie tin and put it in Medusa's bag and did a "shake and bake." She didn't react to it so they never bothered her again. Waltman put "somebody's" poo poo in Sable's bag on her last night.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's a cokehead.
There was a rumor that he would hit up guys for sex in the bathroom at PWU shows. He was indeed a cokehead, but that's not the bathroom joke.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I've been watching Raws from 1998-1999 for the past week or so, and it's definitely just a stock JR line for anyone.

On the subject of Raw, I watched the 1000th episode last night, having not seen an episode of WWE TV since 2002 (save for watching a Punk vs Morrison match on some weekday show..ECW?). Pretty jarring going from 1999 Raw to 2012 Raw. The weirdest difference I noticed is the crowd - during promos and poo poo on the Titantron, the 2012 crowd was quiet and looked like they were watching a movie at a theater or something. The 1999 crowd was just an anxious, constantly moving/talking crowd at almost all times.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Perigryn posted:

It's said that when Triple H is running the show (like whenever Raw's in the UK or Vince is busy elsewhere), he generally tends to save his criticism for when they're on commercial breaks and even then isn't as angry as Vince is.
I read an interview with Lawler recently, and he said Vince has never once yelled at him. Even when Cole is sitting next to him and will say "Oh man, Vince just chewed me out", Vince has never done it to Lawler.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Did Kevin Nash do any full-show commentary besides that one Thunder in October 99 when it was his last day as booker? Say what you want about Nash, but the guy is hilarious and I'd love to check out other WCW shows that he commentated.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Hardcore TV was so hit and miss. Especially from 1996-1998 - you might get 3 awesome matches from Hardcore Heaven 96 and a bunch of great promos, or maybe you'd get Louie Spicolli vs Axl Rotten and then 300 commercials for tapes/shirts and an interview or two.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

MisterGBH posted:

Some time ago someone posted a video of highlights/compilation of a mexican wrestler who did this dangerous running suicide dive but he threw himself with his back and back of the head so he never faced them. Who was it and does anyone have the YouTube link?
Sounds like Aerostar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM488qXX2U0&t=52s

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

SiKboy posted:

I dont know if he started carrying an actual snake off his own back, or if that was a "Ricky the dragon is a literal firebreathing dragon" McMahon invention, but it worked so fair enough.
Jake had suggested carrying a snake to Bill Watts, and Watts responded with "This isn't the loving circus." McMahon later suggested it to Jake, who obviously was game.

I also just recently read that sometime early in his WWF career, Jake got injured and started taking steroids to heal, but also bulked up a bit. When Vince saw him he was disappointed and said "That's not what we want. We want you to be different...smooth, and sexual." No idea how true it is, but it's certainly odd to hear of Vince telling someone to get OFF the gas in 1987.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 10, 2012

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Glamorama26 posted:

I've heard that one a few times and I hold out hope it's just an old wives' tale.
I recently saw a clip of Duggan talking about it, and how he rolls his eyes when young guys who do that when they meet him. So I assume it's largely bullshit.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

KildarX posted:

So I'm rewatching '97 Raw, what is their fascination with the mini-wrestlers? Any particular reason or is it just because they needed to fill the card?
It was just a kick Vince was on. Cornette told a story about how for one of the early Shotgun Saturday Nights, Vince wanted to do a bit where Cornette took Mini-Vader into the bus station bathroom, and Mini-Vader was going to take a leak in the urinal, but it was gonna be too high and he was going to be jumping, trying to take a piss, and falling backwards. However, when they went into the bathroom to film it, they discovered that all of the urinals were at ground level, so they had to scrap it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Don't WCW PPVs/Clashes end up on WWE 24/7 nearly every month? I know that's a really limited on-demand service that not many providers carry, but they're still being used somewhere.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Manwithastick posted:

Has jerry Lynn and CM punk ever had a match? What was it like?
I remember seeing one in IWA-MS, I want to say it was a non-tourney match at one of the King of the Death shows. Don't really remember the match, though.

EDIT: It was actually on IWA's 6th anniversary show on 10/5/02.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Even if it wasn't Michael Hayes himself with the entrance music, wasn't World Class the first promotion to make entrance music a regular thing for all the wrestlers? Gorgeous George used Pomp & Circumstance, but he was probably the only guy on the card with music. Hogan came out to Eye of the Tiger, but the majority of the rest came out to nothing. Even in the WWF, up until 1990 or so, some guys simply didn't have music.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

Buff strikes me as the kind of guy anyone reasonable would want to slap after five minutes.
I love the story of Buff's mom calling JR to tell him that Buff couldn't make it to TV that week. Pretty sure Bischoff has said he did the same thing in WCW.

I was actually a big fan of the Bagwell/Scorpio early 90s WCW tag team (managed by Teddy Long, I believe), but maybe that's just because I liked Scorpio so much.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 21, 2012

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

All this Bikertaker talk reminded me of the "White Angel Undertaker" rumor that went around every time Undertaker took a break from 97-01.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Whenever the Undertaker would be out on injury/break/whatever, all the "insider" sites (Scoops Central, Rajah, and other late 90s sites of that ilk) would report that Undertaker would be coming back wearing an all-white costume, as a "White Angel" gimmick. Other such rumors were that Too Cool were going to have a gay wedding, and that Trish Stratus was joining DX and did a photoshoot wearing green gear. I swear I heard these rumors constantly for a period of about 3 years.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 23, 2012

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Wait. Why the gently caress is Peter B Beautiful a) Still around and b) working with Ian Rotten again? You'd think he'd want to be as far away from Rotten as possible after what happened last time
Indie wrestling.

And I don't think it's necessary to go out of your way to get Peter B. Beautiful an account here. That's not exactly a huge "get" and I remember him being a mark for himself on other wrestling boards in the past.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh ya the Steen episode is good in which you learn he learned english from Friends and Jim Ross.
I had heard him say that before, didn't he at one point think that "Coming down the isle" was an english phrase meaning "entering the room"? So if he were at a party and someone came in, he'd say they were "coming down the isle."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Monkeycheese posted:

Any other instances of somebody winning or losing a match they weren't supposed to due to a botch or injury or something else weird?
This might be in Jericho's book or something, but I heard it for the first time today on Nash's youshoot. A few weeks after Jericho debuted in WCW, Bischoff booked Scott Hall to squash him. During the match, Scott looked at Chris, thought "Hm, good looking, talented kid...I'll put him over" and changed the finished and had Jericho go over. When he got to the back Bischoff freaked out, and Hall just said that he was bulletproof and it didn't matter if he lost.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Does anyone know who comes up with the finishes in WWE these days? I know pre-Attitude it was mostly Pat Patterson, and Vince and his small team (Fink, Cornette, etc). I've always heard Russo in shoot interviews claim that he had absolutely nothing to do with the finishes or in-ring things, so I assume at the time it was still Patterson and Vince doing finishes, but does anyone know who does it now? Does the team of writers come up with the match, and also the finish? Or do they just come up with the match, and the agents handle the finish? Is it still 100% up to Vince? Of all the interviews I've seen with ex-writers, I don't think I've ever seen that touched on. Basically I just wanna know whose idea it is to have champions lose all the goddamn time in the modern era.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 30, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

Which It's obvious how you would explain Undertakers gimmick and make it sound cool but I can't wrap my mind around how they explained Goldusts to him.
In Nash's 1995 Timelime shoot, he mentions how mid-year Vince was on this kick where he was saying "We really need to keep things clean. Our competition isn't WCW, it's Disney, and the Cartoon Network." and then a matter of weeks later, Goldust was debuting and well, being Goldust.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

And to split hairs even further, Dolph and Lesnar both have amateur backgrounds. Yeah, that's totally different than pro wrestling, but it's some grappling experience and not starting from total scratch, like trying to train a big football player. So, the WWE training system has essentially made absolutely nobody from the ground up.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 5, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

World Tour was otherworldly to me, because my standards were so ridiculously low after WWF Warzone. Holy poo poo that game sucked. On the first day, I remember screaming "You can't even pick your opponent?!"

Oh, and since this is the questions thread, I thought I'd ask this - has WWE ever acknowledged that Daniel Bryan was trained by Shawn Michaels? On that note, have they ever acknowledged anyone training/being trained by anyone? I only started watching again in 2012, and I remember JR used to mention it from time to time in the 90s.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

There was an evening gown match on Raw in 98 that was Sable vs Jackie, and Jackie popped out of her dress multiple times. Pretty much on every bump they would come out. I couldn't believe they were actually showing it (it was like the last match), but the weird thing was the next day, I couldn't find a single thing about it online. That was in the day when every wrestling "news" site had their own Raw reports and screencaps and such, and I didn't see a single mention of it, or see any picture. It wasn't until a few years ago that I could download that episode and confirm that it actually happened.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Karmine posted:

Bruno always refers to Triple H as "Paul" and I find it really quaint for some reason. Other than that I think the only people who call him Paul are stupid smarks trying to show off "hey I know his real name I'm so smart about wrestling :smug:"
Nash almost always refers to him as Paul in shoot interviews, while still calling Undertaker "Taker" and X-pac "Kid." Again, it's probably just what they were introduced as. I doubt HHH was really attached to the name "Hunter" when he met Nash in 95 or whenever.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I can't believe they were around until 2009. I thought for sure they were discontinued in the mid-90's.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I recall hearing a story about how McMahon used to go on and on to Sid about how he wanted him to be the next Hogan in 1991, and how he was gonna push him to the moon, and Sid kinda just shrugged and said "Eh, I see myself a big monster heel, Vince." And no matter how enthusiastic Vince was, or what he promised him, Sid just kept saying "I don't know, I just wanna be a monster heel."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I was watching Percy Pringle and Jim Cornette talk about how much they hated the Divas of that era, and Cornette mentioned how having Sable as a valet buried Marc Mero. Can anyone elaborate?
Cornette tells a story about how Mero was supposed to do a run with Austin (either on house shows, or just a small TV feud, I don't recall) in 1998, and then they did the angle where Sable challenged Mero to a match and powerbombed him. After that, Austin said no loving way to working with a guy who got powerbombed by his wife.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Has any promotion ever attempted a wrestling festival based on music festivals like Coachella or Lollapalooza?
Ian Rotten once hilariously proposed a 24-hour "wrestlethon" of sorts (think the dance-a-thon from Happy Days), wherein donations would be involved somehow. I don't know. Obviously, it never came close to fruition.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

because I guess Lince is a real true luchador or something,
He was a backyarder from Jersey. At the time, Quack was billing him a real luchadore from Mexico, while Lince still wrestled as his original gimmick, The Jackyl, in Jersey. So, Quack covering his face was to protect the character Quack gave him, so still pretty self-serving.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I heard Alvarez say on the post-Raw show that he's asked people, and they all say nothing happened with Cesaro and the office/Vince.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you sure? Jake talked about how unhappy he was with the angle on his DVD, and Lawler said he was sorry and didn't realize that Jake wasn't OK with it.
I've always wondered if Jake was even clean at all during that time period. When DDP got him sober, he said something like 45 days sober was the longest he'd be clean since he was a teenager. I'm pretty sure Bret's book also mentioned that Jake was drunk/using very shortly after coming back. It was probably just easier for Jake to say that the angle is what made him fall off the wagon again, especially on a DVD.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Minges posted:

Johnston was around at least for Piledriver, he does an interview where he talks about how great it was to work on Girls in Cars.

I love Girls in Cars.
I love it too, it sounds like an 80's Rush song. Jim Johnston was a legitimate influence of me as a young boy to take up music. I probably wouldn't have been so into wrestling if the music wasn't so cool (to me as an 8 year old). I remember renting older tapes from back when nobody had music, and it drastically reduced my enjoyment of it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Tato posted:

I remember when King was feuding with Goldust in 97 he said something once like "Dakota's nickname around town is Target, because everyone's had a shot at her!" He was referring to Goldust's 4 year old daughter.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he just got a little tongue-tied, cause it sounded like he was going for the joke of "Nobody knows who Dakota's father is because everyone had a shot at Terri." Then he called Goldust a fag and got a Road Warrior pop for it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Who has the best wristlock in the biz?
Chuck Taylor and his jumping wristlock (I don't even know if he's done this more than once, I just recall him doing it one time and it was hilarious. It's a regular wristlock that he applied while jumping up and down like a bratty child).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, he's said in interviews that he doesn't know why they changed his name, but it's probably copyrights.
I remember hearing that Vince has a real affinity for the name "McGullicutty" because he finds it to be a really strong Irish name, and always wanted to name a guy that.

Bigass Moth posted:

A related question to the name change issue - a guy like Dean Ambrose who wrestled in the indys as Jon Moxley didn't wrestle under his real name, but why did he change his ring name when he went to the WWE anyway?
WWE likes all their branding to be exclusive, so you're not seeing WWE's "Jon Moxley" on a CZW DVD featuring light tubes and electric saws. Obviously there are exceptions like Punk, but for the most part, if they didn't create it, they have no interest in using it.

EDIT: I had to look up the saw spot after posting about it, warning that it's pretty graphic, although Moxley said in a shoot that the saw was completely gimmicked and Brain Damage even ran it over his own tongue to prove it didn't cut/hurt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzCYrAa5AmQ

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 16, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I would also assume that Vince has no idea it existed. It was probably written by a few members of the creative team, but I highly doubt Vince McMahon was involved at all.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

gfanikf posted:

Branching off from an earlier question, when did does the bizarre Fabulous Ones promos originally air, what promotion, and has it ever emerged who came up with the idea?

I do hope they wiped down the exercise equipment. :ohdear:
All those videos were from Memphis (later called CWA) which was run by Jerry Jarrett, and the videos are probably from the early 80s, like 1982-1985. I would imagine Jarrett/Lawler came up with the music videos. My personal favorite is the one the Road Warriors did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q378dI3gLE

edit: gently caress it, and here's Jerry Lawler's Wimpbusters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgwAfi9eIo

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Retail Dragon