Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I noticed in one of the other threads that it's been confirmed that Claudio Castagnoli's in WWE development, with Chris Hero presumably following him soon.

I'm curious if anyone knows a rough estimate of how much a well known indy wrestler makes in comparison to the downside guarantee of a WWE jobber? It it in roughly the same ballpark, or is the WWE's financial compensation much higher even at the low levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Keep in mind that Goldberg's height of popularity came a little bit earlier than the Rock's. Goldberg might have been a bigger name in '98, but I think at least in the Mid-Atlantic Rock was the bigger mainstream name at his peak. You certainly saw tons of people wearing Rock and SCSA shirts in my area, but the only WCW shirts you ever saw were the various NWO designs.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 28, 2019

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Red posted:

It astounds me that Vince McMahon seriously considered that with the 'Tuesday in Texas' horseshit.

drat, I hadn't thought about that PPV in years, but that really loving pissed me off as a kid. Survivor Series '91 was the first PPV I had managed to convince my parents to buy, and I was an unsually smarky 10 year old who was sick of Hogan and rooted hard for Taker to win the title. Putting on another PPV a mere two days later that I had no chance of watching and negating the title switch to boot crushed me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rusty Shackelford posted:

6 days later.

Huh. I'm so used to PPVSs being on Sundays hat I completly forgot that Survivor series used to be held the night before Thanksgiving.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Was there any specific incident or reason that led to the WWE becoming much more insistent on controlling the rights to their wrestlers' ring names in recent years? It seems odd to me that they were much more likely to let a guy use his real name or old ring name they didn't own the rights to back when they actually had competition.

On a related note, anyone have an idea why David Otunga is the one exeption to this rule in the last couple years? Don't really see why they'd let him use his real name when they insist on changing the last names of second generation wreslters and even the guy who won their Tough Enough show.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know Otunga's in a LTR with Jennifer Hudson and that certainly helped raise WWE's interest in signing him. But since he himself had no mainstream name recognition, they could have called him a typical developmental name like Braden Madison or something and still referred to him as Jennifer Hudson's boyfriend. Just like they've occasionally mentioned that Michael McGillicutty is Curt Hennig's son.

In my own opinion, the former would actually be less jarring to the viewer.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I started watching the WWE again shortly before his corporate heel turn, so for me he was actually a fantastic heel. He was a charismatic, entertaining guy that I still wanted to see get his rear end kicked since he was feuding with great faces in Foley and Austin.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm fine with the video quality and production values Of ROH's weekly program. As someone said, it's kind of reminiscent of ECw's shows. Final Battle on the other hand was so poorly produced that it had a definite adverse effect on my viewing experience.

I'll still probably buy their March shows since the price is reasonable, but if they don't reach back
up to the standards of last summer's shows I'll probably quit buying after that.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2012

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

The second two combined probably don't make as much as Cena. I'd guess Cena is in the low-mid seven figures these days given his Mania payoffs last year and this year which must be enormous, Orton and Punk would probably be in the $1-1.5m range.

How do those figures compare to what guys were earning during the Attitude Era? I imagine Austin must have made some insane paychecks if he received a percentage of his merchandise sales. Did the midcarders make more then or now?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

beaverseatwood posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but I took a break from pro wrestling from 02-12 . Who's. Iron mike sharp?

Stereotypical jobber much like the other two guys mentioned, they really don't have guys like that anymore. You might remember him if you watched Superstars in the late '80s- early '90s.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wow, it took me a while to figure out exactly which shows I attended since I was as a small child and there were multiple shows held in those locations, but I was eventually able to find the results from the Superstars taping I attended in Wheeling WV in 1989 and the Pittsburgh house show I went to in 1990. I probably hold the record on this forum for longest amount of time since attending a wrestling event.

Anyone on here know why the WWF didn't run Pittsburgh for three years in the late '80s?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

According to various internet sources Virgil is a math teacher in Pittsburgh.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The old southern belt question reminded me of something I've been curious about for a while. Was the ICW-ICWA Texarkana TV title an actual old territorial belt, or just something Sweeney had made for his gimmick?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

T3hRen3gade posted:

I'm starting to get into Puro and Googled a bunch of stuff last night looking for any encounter(s) between Keiji Mutoh and Mitsuharu Misawa, but all I could find was a tag match that appears to be their first encounter (fun match too) but wanted to know if they'd ever squared off in a singles bout.

Also, noob Puro question I'm sure but what is the correct way to say Japanese wrestler's names? For example I've always seen Mutoh's name printed as "Keiji Mutoh" but the commentary/announcers always flip it to "MUTOOOH KEEEEIJIIII!" Which one is his kayfabe First Name?

Puro's hardly my area of expertise either, but Keiji Mutoh is his real name as well as his ring name. Keiji is a personal name, Mutoh is a family name. Usually in Japan the name order is reversed from the standard Western order of putting the personal name first. My guess is that because wrestling is so heavily influenced by western culture that when written in the Latin alphabet that it's often put in the western order, but the Japanese announcers say it in the way more normally done in that language. Again, not an expert on the subject other than a few cool YouTube videos.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://www.highspots.com/wrestling-masks.asp?id=49

Highspots has a decent amount in both commerical and pro grades, no clue how good they actually are though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

Beaten to it, but basically there were something like 5 or 6 heel/face turns throughout the night. Chyna turned face then heel again in less than an hour's time, which has to be some kind of record.

I didn't remember Show turning face so early after debuting in February, but I think everyone besides Austin, Foley, and Bossman turned at some point that year so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Edit: And I think it was during 1999 they ran the infamous "who raised the briefcase" angle that teased a Bossman turn that one Raw when he came out to his old Hogan era music before rejoining the Corporation.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 9, 2012

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bossman was heavily implied during that segment on Raw I mentioned to have been the guy who screwed Austin, but it was never explicitly stated.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cardboard Box posted:

At the height of the Attitude Era, there was no such thing as a dead crowd.

Wow, I haven't seen that myself since the original airdate. My first thoughts were how much younger HHH and Taker looked and then I had to consider that that clip is almost 12 years old now, older than the little kids that make up a sizable portion of the current live crowds.

I'm 30 now and the late '90s don't seem nearly that long ago to me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Whatever increased access that older hardcore fans have to things like spoilers - and I'd be careful of underestimating how easy it was to get spoilers in 1999, because the internet had already exploded by then, both in general and in terms of the "internet wrestling community" - is going to be counteracted by WWE's increased focus on small children who wouldn't be googling "next week's RAW results."

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. I first discovered smark internet sites as a teenager in 1998 when I looked up live PPV results for I show I wasn't able to watch. People in the same sitaution in 2012 might be more likely just to go directly to WWE.com now that it's a much more usable web site.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The wrestling my dad grew up watching was Channel 11's Studio Wrestling broadcast by a local Pittsburgh station in the 60's and early 70's.

Back in those days, how exactly did the relationship between an independent production like that and the WWWF work? It was apparently booked by a local promoter and not Vince Sr.

Bruno was definitely their featured guy, and according to the wiki article was simply billed as the "World Champ" with no mention of the WWWF. The WWWF also definitely directly ran shows in Pittsburgh as well in those days, so was there any sort of conflict due to overlapping territory?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

When he was in Pittsburgh he was a pipsqueak because of the years of illness and got picked on, hung out at the Y and did a lot of bodybuilding. He still lifts an insane amount for his age.

My dad and a friend of his met Bruno at a local Y when they were kids. He did pushups with both of them sitting on his back, regaled them with the virtues of "Scientific Wrestling" and told them to stay away from steroids.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

As someone who has paid pretty much no attention to TNA until a month ago, I honestly had no clue Raven worked in TNA.

Is he the only guy to have worked matches in all five of the biggest modern US promotions (WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, and ROH)?

I know Foley appeared in ROH, but he never actually wrestled for them, did he? Storm certainly appeared for the rest but I don't think he ever wrestled for TNA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

How did TNA have a NWA title? Didn't NWA become WCW, and WWE gained control of all NWA property once they bought WCW?

The NWA never ceased existing. Jim Crockett Promotions became the most important NWA affiliate in the '80s and eventually became WCW. Ted Turner decided to totally separate themselves from the NWA in the early '90s ('91 or '92 I believe)

TNA started business as an NWA affiliate and was initally called NWA-TNA. The Jarrets decided to split off soon afterward, but there was a business arrangement made where TNA would retain promotional control of the NWA World and I believe Tag titles. This arrangment mutally came to an end in 2007.

The NWA still exists as a loose federation of small indies, like that Mountain State promotion that goons were watching a few onths ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

nasboat posted:

I'm wondering how common of a move this has become in wrestling. We all know about how Jim Hellwig legally changed his name to Warrior (although I believe he did that after WWF had trademarked the Ultimate Warrior and of course there was litigation or at least the threat of it between the two). Anyone know of any other guys who have officially changed their names?

The other big one other than the ones that have already been mentioned is Steve Austin. He legally changed his last name from Williams to Austin in 2007.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Perdido posted:

EDIT: Also, is there anywhere that has a listing of where wrestlers received training? I'm curious about what the grand sum of wrestlers who were 'only' WWE products or had only gone through the WCW Power Plant (eg, Goldberg.)

Cagematch.net will list the trainers of most of the guys on their overview pages.

(e.g. http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=86)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The most recent one I can think of was the whole Steen/Davey feud where Steen's piledriver was banned, and they made a big deal out of unbanning it for their matches, but I don't recall if that was because piledrivers in general were banned in ROH, or if it was just Steen's due to Cornette's "bias" against him.

It was piledrivers in general and the rule is still in effect for most matches. Cornette supposedly blew a gasket at a recent PPV when Fit Finley used a piledriver and the commentators hastily added later that he was fined for it.

Wasn't Undertaker's Hell's Gate banned as part of an angle a few years ago?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Karmine posted:

Neither was Marty Jannetty sooooo

Sunny disagrees

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

I'm guessing it's true for WWE main eventers though.

What was Khali's 3 * match?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

So, I was kicking around some ideas with a friend one night and this struck me: Where would you go to buy a legit, high-quality luchador mask without driving or flying out to meet someone, and what would one expect to pay for it?

http://www.highspots.com/c/Pro-Masks-In-Stock.html

ABout 100$. They also apparently do custom masks if you want a unique design.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What are the restrictions on wrestlers signed to WWE Legends contracts from appearing on other shows?

I was surprised to read about Piper's recent appearance on a Montreal indie since I figured they were under similar contractual restrictions as active wrestlers. Are they free to make any indie appearances they want for a company smaller than ROH?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

Go to wrestler you want.

Thanks, I used profight DB to look of the number of Kofi vs Dolph matches during the Raw thread since I couldn't figure out an easy way to do it on cagematch.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just don't get why the guy feels the need to blatantly lie about everything. It's not like he doesn't have legitimate career accomplishments to be proud of, since he honestly is one of the most popular and significant wrestlers in the history of the industry.

It's not like these are even going to be difficult lies to call him out on, like some of his probably spurious anecdotes about Andre I've heard attributed to him. This is basically on the level of that 10 year old we all went to school with who swore he had an uncle who worked for Nintendo who gave him the next generation system years in advance with every game for his birthday.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

As futile as it is to try to exactly figure out the unstated career trajectory of a fictional character, to me he was clearly portrayed as being at one point a prominent if perhaps not Hogan level star in the movie's alternate universe equivalent of the WWF. He had his own action figure and was in an NES game based off of the real life WWF WrestleMania after all, and the original match with the Ayatollah as mentioned was apparently a big deal.

Jake Roberts might be a good comparison as a guy who was major enough to be known by any wrestling fan of the era but not huge enough to just coast through the rest of his life on his name.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Quasipox posted:

I've recently made it my mission to see more wrestling outside my usual sphere (which is really only WWE and TNA, and TNA only for a few months). From what little I've seen, I really like Kana and Sara Del Ray and want to see more of them in particular. So I'm looking for match suggestions, preferably something I can just watch online, but any recommendations are good. Thanks.

Have you seen the great match they had against each other that main evented a CHIKARA show last year yet?

http://www.smvod.com/premium-video/chikara-october-8-2011-klunk-love-kingsport-tn

Here's some free highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYP0sGn5M0&t=235s

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 21, 2012

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's the origin of or meaning behind Cliff Compton's "Mr. 1859" nickname?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Until I half randomly came across their respective Wiki articles today I was under the mistaken impression that Rick and Sherri Martel were siblings.

Was there some sort of kayfabe marriage or other link between them or was their usage of the same ringname simply coincidental?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It was mentioned in the spoilers thread that Jeff Hardy was 35, which surprised me. I honestly would have figured he had to have been a few years older based on how long he's been wrestling. I've seen that old YouTube video of him wrestling Sean Waltman, which according to CageMatch was from May of 1994. This means he would have been only 16 at the time.

How did a 16 year old get several appearances working for a major company? Was he even really trained at the time?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know both Quack and Super Dragon have stated that DVD/digital sales of their shows is what keeps their promotions afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I didn't even think closed fists were even technically illegal anymore in most promotions under general circumstances. For example, the old ROH Pure belt was contested under rules that prohibited closed fist punches to the face, but even in those matches punches were legal to the rest of the body.