Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
When the WWE plays or releases footage of the Bret Hart hall of fame induction, how do they pretend that Chris Benoit wasn't sitting behind the podium the whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Can somebody tell me why Shane left his family's company?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Reports are that it's a combination of getting passed over to run the company, wanting to make it on his own, Vince took over the WWF at his age), and a blow-up that happened between him and Vince.

The wanting to make it own is considered a major part of it. Shane had tried to get Vince to buy UFC and Pride and let him run those businesses, and Vince said no. Before ECW went bankrupt there were serious discussions for Vince to buy that company and let Shane run it, but Vince took WWE's accountants advice that it would be cheaper to let ECW declare bankrupcy and then buy it. He was originally supposed to run revivals of WCW and ECW as seperate entities, but each time Vince decided at the last minute to keep them in WWE (meaning him and Steph run them). The argument Vince and Shane had, and whatever they discussed, may have just been the straw that broke the camel's back. Hell, Raven says that back in the mid 90s when he was in the WWF as Johnny Polo, a producer, and Shane's friend that Shane thought him and Raven would be the Vince and Pat Patterson of their generation.

It's also worth noting that there's a parallel between him and Vince here. At 37, Vince took over the WWF from his father. He could have kept it as a successful, but regional, promotion and been remembered as Junior, the son of one of the biggest promoters in the country. Instead, he decided to prove himself and be remembered for his own accomplishments. Shane isn't considered as driven as Vince was (partially because Vince is an obsessive workaholic), but there's a thought that at 39 he realizes he'll be remembered as Vince's son and, like Vince, wants to make his name. The other interpretation of this is that, if successful, he could come back to WWE respected and inherit the company.

The MMA rumor is pretty vauge right now. All that's known is he's a fan of UFC (not MMA), and he met with Dana White and the Fertittas. Carl DiMarco, former head of WWE Canada and Shane's friend, also met with UFC but ended up working in the Canadian tech industry. The idea has been presented by some that Shane will either work for UFC helping with international expansion or buy into Strikeforce (he can't afford UFC), but it's unfounded gossip right now.

The issue is discussed very well on a Wrestling Observer Radio interview with Paul Heyman, if you subscribe to the Observer/Figure Four.

Wow, thanks for answering so well! :)

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Did Mick Foley leave WWE on good terms?

Why did WWE let him go?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Why has Sting never appeared in WWE?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Lots of reasons, but the most recent one he gave is after Booker T. showed up and the Rock asked, "Who in the blue hell are you?" Sting didn't trust McMahon to treat his character with any respect.

That makes sense.

I always thought it was weird to build up Jericho's debut to the huge pop he debuted to as Y2J, then proceed to have the Rock insult him and book him to lose to Chyna. Vince probably wouldn't give Sting's character any real respect because he didn't "make him".

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Has Undertaker ever gone on the record about the Montreal incident?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Nope, that's a work. It's based on something else that happened at the HOF. Austin and Bret are talking and Hogan (who both hate) goes up to them, trying to shake Austin's hand. Austin completely snubbed Hogan, causing Bret to pop huge.

Where can I read more about this???

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Can someone tell me a little about the legit heat between the Rock and HBK? Someone once told me that HBK picked on the Rock when he was new, and that when Bret Hart wanted to lose to the Rock clean in an IC title match, HBK had a shitfit and convinced Vince not to let it happen. But the person who told me this is a huge Bret Hart fan and anti-HBK guy, so I had to take it with a grain of salt.

What is the problem between Rocky and Shawn?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Bischoff's "I'm Back" sounds very much like Underaker's "Bad rear end" theme.. Were they a partnership of some sort?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcrI4R_AEOA&feature=related

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Why did Jericho change the Walls to a generic crab?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Shitty_Wok posted:

Have there been many (any?) matches where the person who was supposed to win never kicked out?

Along these lines:

Has a result ever been changed in the ring? Like, say HHH blows his quad again and realizes it, would he change the result on the fly so he doesn't win the title and then have the vacate it the next night?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

dusty udder smoker posted:

Mankind was originally supposed to win the belt at IYH: Mind Games against Shawn Michaels in 96, but for whatever reason, the finish was changed to become a DQ mid match. This is pretty notable since you see Vince talk to Shawn at ringside and you get to see him throw a little prima donna fit.

Well now I HAVE to find this match

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Why didn't Kenny from the spirit squad last with WWE? For a time - to me - it looked as though he was going to be the one from the group who stuck around as a singles star.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

The Spirit Squad did poo poo off of a trampoline and I thought that was sweet as hell.

As for content: After reading the Vince Russo Q&A session where he jizzes in his pants over Randy Orton, and seeing how much the WWE lets him get away with without firing, I have to wonder what exactly it is about him that makes him so great? I mean I am an Orton fan, and although it sucks that his attitude backstage is terrible, I don't let that cloud my opinion of him... but he doesn't really have anything that, say, Edge doesn't also have does he?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Undertaker did a couple of interviews as Mark Calloway with some Canadian sports television stations, but didn't really say anything sensational.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

It depends whether they held BFA2010 between now and Cena regaining his title, because he's vowed not to lose at all 'til then, and Cena would not lie.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I've never watched an episode of Tough Enough. What is the circle game?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

If you think Nitros with Eddy Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Rey Misterio, Jr. (as he was then known), Chris Jericho, Juventud Guerrera, Psychosis, Raven, DDP, Goldberg, Bret Hart, Curt Hennig and their contemporaries putting on four star matches every single week equates to a mediocre product, I'm fairly certain you should just be branded a WWE fanboy whose opinion on things beyond the fed don't count.

I think people often forget that Bischoff did go out and sign up basically all the talent available to him and the WCW undercard was stocked with an unbelievable array of wrestlers. It's easy to forget, though, because during those matches the announcers were always talking about the nWo / Goldberg and hardly furthering undercard storylines.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

False. WCW hired Americans from Japan and luchadores because they wanted good matches too. The idea was put the big stars in the main event because they would draw, but since their matches would be bad you put great matches in the undercard. It was a logic that successful before the promotion started going downhill.

Now, if you want to say WCW didn't care about the booking in its midcard that would be correct.

I agree with this.

I also think that - at the beginning - Eric Bichoff had the best of intentions. They were going to ride the big names in the main event to get the great wrestlers they snatched up from all over some exposure, so they could eventually rise and take the main event.

The road to hell and all that.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I didn't really notice the change, it was so darn subtle.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

How is Mizanin pronounced?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

TL Hopper

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

What made the WWE change its mind and allow the shooting star press again?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

How did that happen? How did they not have anyone built up enough yet to really carry their shows?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I guess I didn't really know much about what was going on with Brock. Did he leave really suddenly then?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Triple H's bitterness about Brock's leaving now makes a whole lot more sense to me.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

Never heard anything about this, what's the story?

He talks about Lesnar around the 7:35 mark in this interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1FcnvEF2F0&NR=1) but i remember reading a few things where guys condemned Lesnar because so many guys lost to make him look good.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

How common is it for a WWE PPV to go head-to-head with a UFC PPV?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I remember reading a magazine when i was a kid that said underneath that little fingerglove thing Mankind wore, those two fingers were fused together.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I think Cole was scripted that way to give his partner a chance to list all the reasons why Daniel Bryan's accomplishments should, indeed, be taken seriously by the WWE Universe.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Was the intention ever to actually let Shane run WCW as a separate entity? It seems like it would have made sense to do it that way...

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

So wrestlers use tanning beds like every other day... and if I believe all the warnings I've been given over the years, tanning beds are 10 - 300 times more dangerous than the sun. Why isn't the melanoma rate among wrestlers sky-high? Or is it? I've done a little looking, but I don't see any wrestlers who've died of skin cancer.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I try to avoid internet wrestling stuff because I don't like spoilers in any respect, so I miss things that are internet sensations, Bryan included.

As a result, I have no prior affinity to him or emotional stake in his success, but I do watch NXT every week and he is clearly the star of the show. If the Academy were giving out awards, he'd be in the Best Actor category whilst the other most-used guys like Barret and Sheffield would be in the Supporting Actor category.

His win-loss record is inconsequential, much like Chris Jericho's is.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Why are Canadian crowds bizarro crowds?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Pretty much, because Canada doesn't always follow status quo. Our audiences will sometimes decide to cheer who we want to cheer (especially Canadian talent) and we also tend to be smart (much like Philly crowds, but not with as much history).

I chalked it up to smarkiness for the most part, but the reception Hogan got at Wrestlemania X8 was extremely unsmarky.

Also, why are Canadian tastes all generally the same, by which I mean what makes the majority of a Canadian audience decide to feel the opposite of how the bookers want them to feel?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I didn't think Vince took it personally that his former employees tried to make money in other companies.

I could see Ric Flair having heat with HBK after Shawn's "I won't disrespect the Undertaker by making a comeback" line, but otherwise going to TNA doesn't seem like it would insult anyone.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I could see the Miz becoming the face in the Daniel Bryan feud by accident. Bryan seems like he could end up being like Rocky Miavia, with his clean-cut "I love spending time with my family and eating veggies" stuff and the crowd might eventually just hate him for it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

If it's not a work, then TNA is going to be wasting money on lawyers that they should be wasting on wrestling stars from the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

He had a real future as a ref