Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bearnt! posted:

Technically it's the longest running weekly episodic show without hiatus in the US. "Without hiatus" being the key term there and I'm still not sure if they mean currently or all time as they are pretty vague with it even though they toss that claim around all the time. There have been plenty of longer running weekly episodic shows throughout history, just in wrestling alone RAW is only the 5th longest running. WCW Saturday Night, WCW WorldWide, Wrestling at the Chase and World of Sport were all on for 20+ years.
I guess dog shows don't count as hiatus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

• Interviews with wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, and personalities - Bruno Sammartino, Jim Cornette, and Konnan are some of the standouts.
This is the first time in history Konnan has been a standout.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Demon Hunter posted:

Why do people say that Zach Ryder is over in the WWE? Every time I have seen him come out on RAW Smackdown, the crowd is absolutely mute for him.

I always expect him to ask me to play blitzball.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RentACop posted:

I refuse to believe Mick Foley was in a juggalo film

Edit: Cactus Sac noooo

I don't know why you wouldn't believe that. If ICP's movies are like their wrestling fed, then the actors are treated well and duly compensated for their time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Is Andre the most respected person in wrestling? He seemed legitimately cool and very few negative things are said about him.
Nah, there's people like DDP, Paul Bearer, and Mark Henry who would beat him out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khali, Mark Henry, and Hornswaggle all travel together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

That sounds like a sitcom
Hornswaggle talks about it on the latest Art of Wrestling podcast...and yeah, it basically is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apocalypso posted:

I had the idea that for a match type where you earn points for each count in a pin, with victory achieved by either hitting a certain total of points, or a 3-count. It's kind of a spergy approach and I doubt I'd have thought if it if I wasn't such a statsnerd fucklord, but there are some obvious elements of drama that could come out of it. Has anything like this been done?
There's occasionally best two of three falls matches, which often involve the heel doing something to get a DQ for one fall in a way that is intended to weaken the face. There's also the rare iron man match with a set time limit (an hour is common) where the winner at the end of the time limit is the one with the most pinfalls or submissions. There's clearly plenty of room for drama in that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apocalypso posted:

Mike, any best two of three matches you'd recommend? I haven't seen any, and they sound fun.
I don't have any in particular I can recommend, but I'm sure someone else can!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

Another that people don't realize was in WCW is Sandman. Memorable only for being in the segment where Kanyon took a flip-bump into a swimming pool from the lightest of shoves by Raven.
Who could forget HARDCORE HAK??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I am a relatively new wrestling fan that has a tendency to over-think the characters (Who is the Undertaker/Kane's mom? Is Ted Dibiase from old money, or is he a self-made man?). I'm getting better about it, but there's one example I just can't let go of: The Shield. Are they...like...wrestlers? Do they think they work for Vince? Or are they some kind of crazy Deadhead-esque group that follows the WWE from town to town? In the fiction, just what the heck ARE they exactly?
They did say on-air that they were NXT superstars, so...I guess they work for Vince in kayfabe? (And shoot, obviously.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Memento1979 posted:

Yeah, as much as I love seeing Paul. E. on my TV screen, that tiny little pony tail is truly awful.

It's so perfect for his character, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The pHo posted:

I never understood it either, 311 were no shows here. I know a handful of people who might've heard of them, maybe half of that could name a song (I wouldn't be able to). We also think that Blink-182 is pronounced One Eight Two.
You're not missing anything with either of these bands, for what it's worth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Let's be fair, any damage was probably sustained well before that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But who was the P?!
People Power, obviously.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVD and The Ryback have the same guy airbrush their unitards.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oatgan posted:

I think you're referring to Kaitlyn eliminating Eve to earn the #1 contender spot. It's not a title change, but they did decide to run with it and push her leading to her winning the belt
I think that push would have happened regardless. After she won that spot, she was attacked backstage and Eve got her match anyway and won. After that was when Kaitlyn really got pushed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jack Krauser posted:

Ironically enough, I think the Fingerpoke of Doom was fairly high rated. Foley had already won the title and people switched back to see Hogan/Nash.

Yep. I definitely remember watching the Fingerpoke of Doom. It was during the overrun, I'm pretty sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, again, in rewatching old WWF you really notice the shift once they add Smackdown. It's just too much, having two shows a week with all the same people. Raw was a really tight show before they added the extra program.

You didn't notice it quite as much at the time, since the WWF was super hot and people couldn't get enough. But rewatching it more critically, you can see them trying to pad out the storylines to fill time.

Yeah, but at least they *had* storylines for basically everyone, even if most were really dumb. Val Venis vs. Kaientai is basically something that wouldn't happen in 2013.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

If you try and use modern-day equivalents it would be like 3 Man Band in a consistent, weekly blood feud with Santino that lasted for two months.
I want to see this now. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Huh, they actually thought that part out, the text stipulates that handing the briefcase over counts as redeeming the title match. That's pretty neat.
Interestingly, this version, at least, says the MITB holder can cash it in for either the WWE or WHC. Were they doing two briefcases in 2011?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

So WWE wants to put the US belt on Big E meaning he will likely hold two belts at the same time in WWE (US and NXT championships). When was the last time this has happened?

NXT doesn't count because its Alternate Reality WWE.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Really depends on the seats you want. I'd say $40-50 on the low end, and $300+ for ringside. A decent spot in the lower bowl might run $80-100.

That's how much Raw here cost. PPVs have to be way more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What's the largest roster WWF/E has ever had? I'd guess it would be after the WCW and ECW buyouts, but I could be wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

On the subject of broken down wrestlers and such, everyone ought to see Steve Austin trying to walk backstage after Wrestlemania 19.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxdf06_the-mania-of-wrestlemania_sport&start=1425

Also everyone should watch that entire documentary.

Goddamn, he's walking like Khali.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

triplexpac posted:

This thought randomly came into my head last night: What wrestling couple had the worst on-screen chemistry?

My vote goes to Ted DiBiase Jr & Maryse, they were just awful.
Cena and AJ.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

Vince said the SHIELD remind him of himself, right? Shouldn't that be included in their storyline somehow? It's like they are unofficially endorsed by the CEO in this case or should incorporate some of Vince into themselves.

Can't wait for the Shield to strut to the ring then tear both quads.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Thank God for 3MB or Jinder Mahal would be in the ethnic no-heat zone.
Well he *is* the fun one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure people realized he wasn't quite all there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I love sign guy.

There was this one picture where 20 identical signs said "Edge is a doofus!" and one that said "The verdict's in: Edge is a doofus!"

Edge is looking at the signs and is utterly bewildered.

Find this and post it please.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There is no coincidence that Goldberg and Reigns both have football backgrounds.

Can't wait for Summer Rae's spear!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hirams Bitch posted:

Wow how quickly we forget the black and silver I guess 4 life means nothing to you.

If you're nWo B-Team, you're nWo B-Team 4 life, brother.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

If it were Chikara, Bryan would reveal he'd infected half the roster with Nigel McGuinness nanites by wrestling them, then turn them into a Union Jack army.
Using "infect" and "Nigel McGuinness" together might not have the best connotations...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They'll also pass info between wrestlers as necessary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Um, how can you forget the most exhilarating finisher of all time, the shaky leg knee drop?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

Has anyone tried buying any WWE Blu-Rays from England? Are they region locked?
From some random-rear end forum:

quote:

Q. Will Blu-ray product be region free?
A. Following further discussion we have been advised that the Blu-Rays will be coded B and C, we apologise for any misunderstanding.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6805294

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The worst is the Overdrive.

Actually, Kanyon's Flatliner always looked pretty dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

What are some recommended wrestling DVDs like Punk: Best in the World and Mick Foley: For All Mankind?

Speaking of the second, jeez Joey Styles got heavy since I last saw him...
If you have Netflix, there's a bunch on there you can watch for free. They won't have the extra content, but the main documentaries are there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He defiled "Paul Bearer's ashes" and was still mostly cheered. I think if he had literally pissed on them it might have hit 50% boos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I kind of wonder what the alternatives were. "Above Average" Curt Hennig?
"Curtis Axel" as a play on his real name and that his father was Larry "The Axe" Hennig.