Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They need to get Dusty back to the announcers table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

and also Brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Captain Strange posted:

What was the last update on Bobby Heenan? Last I heard he was recovering from throat surgery. Did he pull through? Can he talk?

He can talk but he still kinda slurs his words and his voice has gotten really high pitched. He's also really skinny now. But he is getting better.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

rotinaj posted:

What's Raven up to these days?

Feuding with Larry Z apparently.

quote:

On August 2, 2009, Raven defeated reigning champion Preston Quinn to win the Vanguard Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Title, in Norfolk, VA at the NorVa. Post match, Larry Zbysko and Raven had a war of words, where Raven challenged Larry to find an opponent to face him for the VCW World Title.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hudson posted:

I have a WCW question. I'm watching the first three hour Nitro episode on WWE 24/7. It starts with them hyping up this clip from the Souled Out PPV that will make you just oh so sick to your stomach. Of course I'm talking about Kevin Nash 'Jack-Knife Power Bombing' The Giant. To me that power bomb looked like a botch as Nash just held onto The Giant too long, plus Nash falls over after it landed. Everyone is playing it like The Giant got dropped on his head and he is really messed up. It looks like his landed on his shoulders and gently at that.

So my question is, was that power bomb a botch and did WCW just try to play it off as something more than it was and run with it?

According to Nash he was told to go out and powerbomb the Giant despite just returning from injury and telling the bookers that he wasn't ready in anyway to lift a huge guy like that.

You can kinda see it in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOe9H4gxYe0 his legs aren't entirely with him through the move so basically just lets go of him halfway through.

And yes, this turned into what everyone said about powerbombs being banned, I can't remember if it was just the Jackknife powerbomb they banned or powerbombs in general. Because obviously the one where the guy sort of throws you away on your back is more devastating than Vader folding you in half.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Butterbean punched Bart Gunn all the way to Japan where he somehow managed to continue his career.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Austin was also in a little thing called the Dangerous Alliance which I think you'd have to call a succesful stable.

It also gave us this match http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x124ep_rudeaustin-vs-bagwellzenk_sport

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rusty Shackelford posted:

EDIT:

I'm watching the Rise & Fall of WCW and during the Vader/Sting match from the Great American Bash 1992, they show Ron Simmons and Tony Schiavone sitting together, scouting the match. What was that about?

If I remember correctly Schiavone interviews Simmons earlier on the card where they talk about the fact that he gets a match against the winner of Vader-Sting.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Did he ever get that match? When Simmons won the title from Vader 3 weeks later, it was after Sting was injured and couldn't face Vader. Watts had a lottery in the ring and Simmons won and went on to face Vader later in the show. It definitely wasn't a planned title shot.

I can't remember. Harddrive crash ate all my nwa/wcw stuff or I'd check.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I've heard it called a "Somersault Neck Breaker" a couple of thime when Shane Douglas did it in WCW.

Wouldn't a somersault neck breaker be a buff blockbuster?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If I remember correctly it had something to do with NBA playoffs.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
do the wrestlers in chikara pick their own entrance theme? and why does almost all of them pick lovely metal that sounds absolutely horrible on those crappy speakers they have in their arenas?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
speaking of the mafia kick ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

At least Tony can laugh at both Dusty and Brain making fun of him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Probably more likely to have started with Afa and Sika.

I mean, Haku isn't even samoan! :v:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Karmine posted:

I never gave a poo poo about Perry Saturn but if this is true I am now a Perry Saturn fan.

It is true. They were .22 caliber and he didn't even notice he was shot until later, he just felt a burning sensation and thought one of the men had hit him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LightsGameraAction posted:

I can still remember parts of the Oddities theme music. Didn't one of them start bringing a giant stuffed Cartman to the ring too?

My own question- What happened to Essa Rios post-WWF? I remember him wrestling on Heat with Lita as his valet and I really liked him. Then I went to a Smackdown where he wrestled for a Heat taping or a dark match or something and like a week later he was gone and Lita was teaming with the Hardys.

He spent a few years in Mexico then in 2004'ish he spent maybe six months to a year in TNA as Mr Aguila before deciding that Mexico was more fun.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are WWEClassics.com subscriptions available to users in the UK? Sounds like a good deal.

Considering that it says "Available worldwide" on the frontpage of the site, then I'm going to guess that yes it is available to users in the UK.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

gibsonisacripple posted:

Been watching some Nitro's from January 1999 and have a quick question about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZpteGbxWo

What's the back story with Pepe Chavo's horse was it just a stupid Al Snow Head type gimmick? Norman Smiley is hilarious in this video.

Chavo basically just had a gimmick of being a bit nuts because Eddie kept pressuring him into being a "real" Guerrero, ie. lying, cheating and stealing and Chavo couldn't handle it so he snapped.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DannoMack posted:

Was the intention ever to actually let Shane run WCW as a separate entity? It seems like it would have made sense to do it that way...

I think that initially it was, but they couldn't get a TV deal for WCW so it was all scrapped.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jerusalem posted:

What knees?

His knees weren't part of the deal when WWE bought WCW, so they were left behind in Atlanta.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think you would probably be more succesful if you transplanted Chikara into the TNA spot rather than ROH.

At least you would have something completely different from WWE, rather than just a more serious version of it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Save Russian Jews posted:

it just makes it worse.

Actual question: who is your bet for the next monster heel, and/or will there ever be another?

Sids kid. He has already taken up the Lord Humongous mantle.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Artemis Entreri posted:

Here's one I always wondered:

What the hell is up with Bill Alfonso's teeth?

meth mouth probably.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Stan Hansen vs Vader is the pure essence of two giant dudes punching each other until one guy stops. Watch some of that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CVagts posted:

Skimming through Have a Nice Day last night, came across Mick Foley hating on Mil Mascaras but not going into detail (only saying that he was sick to his stomach when he saw that he had to face him in WCW). What's the story on this?

He is apparently a bit of a dick. Foley and Jericho have both mentioned that he doesn't really like selling moves or putting people over unless he thinks it is a good idea.

Then again, he was a huge star in Mexico in the 70s so he probably felt he was entitled to act that way.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
An invasion angle is just an easy way to have a very clearly defined faces vs heels storyline over an extended period of time.

I mean, even Chikara has an invasion storyline with the DBK thing. Not sure if they have finished it yet though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ChampRamp posted:

Anyone have a recent Sid pic?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Even Ron Simmons could magically appear from just off-camera every time. Is he in the wings, always waiting to say drat but surprising people (who can probably see him from their position) by jumping in from behind the camera? What is the storyline explanation for this?!?

Ron Simmons is the camera man.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'd hope that most indie wrestlers would care more about actually getting paid, rather than if they win or lose.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ChampRamp posted:

Anyone know what Nitro a four-way ladder match with Scott Hall and Bret Hart being two of the participants took place on?

November 8th, 1999.

The other two participants were Sid Vicious and Goldberg.

It lasts all of five minutes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you were even a reasonably big name in the mid-late 90s in either WWE, WCW or ECW you could probably get work forever in the indies on your name alone.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like to think that everybody in Texas talks like Dusty. It makes everything seem a little better.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It depends on who you want to believe really.

In his book Regal says that he was told to go out and make Goldberg look good. One of the things in this was that the match was going to be longer than the average Goldberg squash match had been up to that point. Goldberg himself freely admits that he would often get lost in matches, so naturally Regal being the veteran was guiding him through the whole thing.

It is a pretty good match, even if it has gotten this rumour attached to it that Regal got fired because of it (he didn't) and it is well worth a watch if you're a fan of either guy.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Doing drugs and pissing on stewardesses, although not necessarily in that order.

I'm sure the match didn't really help, but as far as Regal is concerned he just did as he was told there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was actually Lesnar who was going into football. Goldberg was just not getting his contract renewed, so he retired into MMA colour commentary.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Schiavone was a) under pretty strict orders about what to talk about, b) most of the time the only guy who actually knew was going to happen in the big segments and would keep this information from Tenay, Brain et al because he felt that knowledge was power and he was protecting his position.

Most of the time, you'd have Tenay calling the cruiserweight matches while Brain was making mexican jokes and Tony was talking about Hogan or Sting. Occasionally Larry Z would mention a big guy.

Tenay and Dusty were mostly on point during matches but Schiavone was definitely told to hype up the main event and the big angles. Larry Z and Brain were just there as colour guys to do a little bit of both.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ColeM posted:

I agree with this too. They would all come to the ring riding lawn mowers... god drat.

Who doesn't want to drive a Juan Deere?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What about Legendary? It seems mildly interesting.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That and Knucklehead are the two WWE films I'm thinking about actually watching since they're available on my cable VOD service thing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just watched this on youtube to see what happened and holy poo poo. Even DDP and Kanyon's entrance was awkward as hell.

It's a shame they gave DDP that awful stalker gimmick. I can't see DDP as anything other than a super positive guy that anyone would want to be friends with.

You'd think that after the huge pop DDP got when he unmasked that WWE would have maybe decided to go in a different a direction.

The crowd basically went "booo, booo .. boo-is that DDP? YAAAY"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiva5s80vzM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I follow UltraMantisBlack and Chuck Taylor on twitter, they provide all the relevant news.