Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Axissillian posted:

Nothing says showing deference to alleged sexual assault like the quotation marks.

Keep it classy Wrestlehut

Can't trust some slut not to bitch to the press about some rape she was asking for, so no chance of seeing some other whore count pins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Are there any shoot interviews with Japanese wrestlers, like Kobashi/Misawa/Liger/etc? Preferably ones translated into English. I would love to hear what they have to say.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Are there any good podcasts that talk about ROH/Chikara/other indies? And by good, I like Wrestling Observer's radio show.

Also, is it really worth subscribing to the Observer? I have tons of time at work to listen to music/podcasts, but are the shows worth the 10 bucks a month?

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Web Jew.0 posted:

Karmine posted:
I have a strange theoretical question. Do you guys think that if ROH had all the ASSETS TNA has (big names, great workers, on a big network, good timeslot etc) but none of the drawbacks (lovely booking, a bunch of guys no one cares about, lovely booking, lovely booking etc) could THEY provide some decent competition for WWE whether or not it went head to head with Raw or Smackdown?

HAHAHA man poor TNA. even when supposing hypothetical situation where they'd own you need another company to be its surrogate

So you're saying give ROH a weekly show on Spike, a monthly PPV, and throw in Kurt Angle and Sting and a returning Joe, Daniels, and Styles, and guys like the Motor City Machine Guns?

If they were running head to head with Raw or Smackdown, they'd get killed. If they were on Thursdays, I think it'd do pretty good, probably around the same ratings TNA was getting. The biggest thing holding ROH back is money. More money means more promotion, more stars they develop stick around, etc.

I think this fantasy ROH would do a better job building new talent, and would market themselves as a more "pure sport" alternative to WWE, and would develop a slowly growing niche.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Triple H hasn't done anything cool or interesting since 2000 and he's not on the same plane as Austin and the Rock (or Flair and Hogan) when it comes to stars.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

As ridiculous as it sounds Triple H was the one keeping the substance alive over the style when it was Rock/HHH/Austin main eventing and before Kurt came along.

If you saw more than 4 distinctly different wrestling moves in a main event in the late 90's it was because Triple H was in the main event.

It's why he was my favorite at the time. The dude could actually loving wrestle. Rock and Austin were entertaining when they cut promos but apart from that what were they good for? Punching and hitting their signature moves.

Exactly, which is why I said he hasn't done anything interesting since 2000. I remember thinking he was great in 98, 99, and 2000. But after that, he was so boring I stopped watching wrestling until 2006-7-ish.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Uhh I'm pretty sure he's working the Internet fans.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Von Dozier posted:

I'm sure this is what he will say if things heat up. As long as you hide in the WRESTLING BUBBLE, "aww shucks it was just a work!", no harm may ever come to you.

Umm why did he post this on the Internet? And do you really believe he has constant dreams of murdering Vince Russo? Like, seriously?

It's obvious from his shoots and stuff that he hates Russo for being a stupid dumbass, but doesn't give a poo poo about him. He goes into gently caress YOU VINCE RUSSO mode, but it's clearly for show.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Ugh, not a very good match. Overrated to the nines.

How anyone can mark for Kobashi/Joe and watch Kobashi/Sasaki right after and not see how one is a heavyweight squash while the other is a battle of two equals, I don't know.

Both matches are awesome you jerk.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Any of his singles matches with Roderick Strong and Austin Aries.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Man that whole match was awesome. Every move they did had snap and kick to it. Those guys got so much out of an 8 minute TV undercard match.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

Has anyone ever cried in a storyline? I don't mean the fake stuff the divas have done, but a guy wrestler. Like the face just keeps getting beat down and broken by the heel that he just breaks down in the locker room, but comes back to completely wreck the heel in the blow off match or something?

Jimmy Jacobs, but he was a heel doing it.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
The best feud of the year is Steen/Generico. It's old school yet really innovative and the mask vs career blow off is going to be huge.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Would it actually be possible for a wrestling company to genuinely compete with WWE at a national / international level these days? If so, if this isn't too nerdy a fantasy booking question, what would a company have to do to compete?

Someone could compete if they had the money to spend and good booking sense to do an MMA-ish league with logical, realistic feuds over titles and grudges. If a really well produced wrestling company had Danielson, Punk, Joe, Nigel, Davey Richards, and guys like that, and booked them as stars, it'd be huge. Basically, book like UFC (which books like pro wrestling when pro wrestling was making tons of money) but take advantage of the fact that you can make your own stars with predetermined wins and can run shows with top guys way more often than UFC.

quote:

Secondary question to that: which smaller wrestling feds actually make money? Does ROH turn a profit, do they break even, or are they pulling a long slow ECW ebb?

I think ROH is doing alright. Nobody's getting rich, but I think they are a comfortable small business.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not really sure what the advantage would be in being MMA-ish when people can just watch MMA instead. I don't think a fake sport can really go head-to-head with a "real" one just on athleticism alone- I think you need the dramatics to some extent.

Of course you need drama. When real sports make the most money, it's because of drama. Yankees / Red Sox, Celtics / Lakers, Lesnar / Carwin . But real sports can create drama. Wrestling can, because it's all pre-determined. Have a guy that's connected with the crowd but isn't all the way there yet? Give him a ton of decisive, awesome looking wins, or have him get the poo poo kicked out of him but still keep fighting! UFC can't do that.

People don't care what's real and what's not - see the popularity of fiction. They just want it presented as real. Do things that make sense that emotionally connect with the audience.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was gigantic because people related to the story and believed in the character. People legitimately thought Stone Cold could kick people's asses, because he was presented that way.

The talent is there to make wrestling popular again. They just need to be treated like stars. If you booked a well produced show with relatable angles, you'd take down WWE in a year. I mean, UFC did it, with all the handicaps of being a real sport.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

There's nothing wrong with Nash's view of the business. Its just a different conversation. But him dismissing the entire workrate debate is the same thing as people calling him an idiot for his view. They both have perfectly valid approaches but their stubbornness and refusal to even consider the alternative makes debate pointless. And ultimately we're just debating to amuse ourselves since even if we all came to a conclusion on who the best worker of all time was it would mean absolutely nothing.

There's absolutely something wrong with the viewpoint more money=better than. Nobody actually thinks the highest grossing film, best selling record, or highest rated tv show is the greatest of all time. Wrestling's just another artform, and being comercially successful has nothing to do with the quality of art.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Nobody thinks Avatar is the best movie, Thriller is the best album or that MASH was the best TV show?

Because they like it, not because it made the most money. The concept of anyone going, "Avatar is the best movie ever because it made the most money" is ridiculous.

DannoMack posted:

People making films, records or TV shows often do.

Nope, they just want to duplicate the success. Even the most jaded, capitalist studio head would rather watch a Citizen Kane (or whatever they like) over a Madea Goes To Jail, though they'd rather their studio make the latter.

STAC Goat posted:

Exactly, its a matter of perspective. Its art and business. If your main concern is the art then you debate on quality and success is meaningless. But to deny that a film, musician, TV show, book, or wrestler didn't do everything they set out to do by being the highest grossing of its time is silly. Again, its just people who refuse to see the point that its two completely different meaningless discussions, not a right one and a wrong one.

Nobody good has ever gone into any art form to primarily make the most money. If your goal is to make a ton of money, art, ESPECIALLY wrestling, is a dumb idea.

Talking about business has no place in a discussion about the quality of art.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
I was fine with Lucha Rules watching this year's King of Trios Night 1, thought they were really interesting and made for some cool spots during Night 2, and came to the conclusion they are mostly stupid and confusing when Bryce on commentary said "WHY DON'T YOU JUST ROLL OUT OF THE RING?" when someone was slowly dragging himself by the ropes to get to his corner for the tag.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

Probably a stupid question, but what's up with Bryan Danielson here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDcQ6WGyGw

Shoot or work?

Total work. It looks awesome and real because Bryan Danielson is so phenomenal. I love Jigsaw labeled as "indy douchebag."

Captain Charisma posted:

Really the reactions Japanese wrestling gets here are way overblown. They don't take those every match, and they get long breaks. Most injuries happen with routine moves, anyway. See: John Cena tearing a pec on a hip toss

Yeah, for supposedly smart fans people believe that the kayfabe finisher moves are like really dangerous when they aren't. And I've never seen Burning Hammer used as a transition move in the indy's, but I'm sure someone has kicked out of it, because different promotions build up and protect different moves. Which I love watching - I think it's cool that the Tombstone is death in WWE, while Chikara had the Chikara Special storyline and in ROH Danielson finished so many matches with a small package he got it over as an AWESOME nearfall at Final Battle '06.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Jetfire posted:

Pile drivers are generally not used in WWE, and are potentially dangerous in exceptional cases (although how much more than any other move is of course debatable). Top rope moves like the shooting star press are limited to only a few people usually along the lines of one dude's signature move only, although to be fair documentation on that one is sketchy.

My point is that a lot of those things aren't seen in WWE often, and people who slam WWE Style usually point out these details. These people are usually loving morons, of course.

Everything in wrestling is potentially dangerous. Piledrivers are no more dangerous than anything else if you do it right. If they were, you would see tons of guys injured from Lawler and Bret Hart doing piledrivers all the time. But you don't see that. Because piledrivers being dangerous is a weird myth spread by the one time Austin broke his neck and tons of Memphis kayfabe.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Is there a single thing that Vince ever did that shows him to be a good promoter?

Every story I hear makes him out to be Monty Burns-level insane. The amount of huge draws he almost passed up on/ruined because they were too small boggles my mind. Has he done anything right besides being extremely lucky to inherit a hot territory from his dad and then gobble up the other territories from guys who must have been dumber than rocks?

This sounds like a loaded question, but I really have never heard of Vince finding a good talent and then pushing them and sticking with them. It's always "this guy can't work/draw/be seven feet tall," and then the Brets and Shawns and Foleys and Austins always have to go through a million hoops that they would never bother with if Vince weren't the only game in town.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

Vince wasn't the only game in town for any of those guys. Also, it's a carny as hell business, filled with lots of idiot promoters; it's tough not to look like a relative genius after you're the last big shot standing.

Vince was the first person to make a successful national wrestling company, foregoing the territory system of the time. He got nationally televised wrestling and ppv wrestling to be common. That company's still around decades later. That alone makes him successful.

I'm reading Bret's book now, and Vince was just starting to be the only game in town at the time Bret joined the WWF. There were still other territories, but the real money was in New York.

And nobody better talk about Bret's biases - I'm only talking about how Vince said Bret and Owen were too small, and pushed tons of other green big men like Tom Magee.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Hirams Bitch posted:

No, Vince is a terrible promoter and has never had any clue what he was doing. That's why the WWF went out of business back in 1985.

Well, at least the WBF, XFL, and WWF New York are all thriving cash cows!

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Red posted:

awesome post

Thanks!

Can't really argue with Wrestlemania - probably the biggest and best success story. The TV production values are really, great, too. I guess it's true he understands how to market wrestling.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
Eddie Kingston is different. He looks different, he talks different, he wrestles different. As a heel, he's like the neighborhood bully who thought he could get paid to pick on guys trying to moonsault him. As a face, he's like that guy who always got in fights and trouble that you just wanted to see turn out ok.

In the ring, he's decent, but his character is fantastic.

His promos are great because they are believable. He really knows his voice and his style. I think he's the one of the best promos today, better than 90% of the WWE roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHefF4FmHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJ37N5KbK8

These promos make me want to pay to see these matches. He's so loving unhinged, it's so captivating.

Satire Forum Mom fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 12, 2011

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Maybe it's because I knew a backyard worker pretty well in Windsor who cut promos exactly like him and pretty much had the same physique (except he looked more like Sheamus) and the only difference is the backyard guy said more Fucks.

But to each their own. At least I have an idea why people love the guy. Thanks everyone.

Well post your friend's promos and I will let you know if they are as good as Kingston, better, or terrible.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

TheOneTrueKing posted:

Because the majority of fans aren't. Just the IWC and smarks. Kids and their parents who shell out the most money for his merchandise says: Continue being Super Cena.

So that explains their steadily decreasing ratings, abysmal buy rates, and lowered stock prices?

Also, I find it interesting that the WWE doesn't cater to "smarks", aka hardcore fans willing to drop more money on the product. What other company deliberately does the opposite of what their most loyal fanbase wants?

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Wojtek posted:

If you're going to go this direction, then why is ROH not creaming WWE?

Because WWE still has a poo poo ton of money from the time period they were super successful. It's capitalism, if you have more money, you will be more successful.

But if you look at the buyrates for ROH shows and WWE shows, ROH is doing really well given their limited means, while the global corporation WWE is doing horribly.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
If Aries does that, that's not only rude, but dumb. Guy has to learn to take a compliment and learn that it's possible to critique something intelligently without having to do it professionally.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
I'm watching the Legends of Wrestling Roundtable on the NWO and I never noticed how funny Kevin Nash's line "so this is where the big boys play? Look at the adjective - play," is. Wrestling fans have a poor grasp of grammar.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

Nah, Taker is a tall guy who can (or at least used to) move well. Probably better than anyone else his height. There's a bunch of guys who can do what Generico does.

I wasn't really referring to your comment, but the eat a dick poo poo.

If you take away anybody's ENTIRE GIMMICK, they are going to be boring and bland. El Generico's character is what makes him great.

And there are not a bunch of guys who can sell like loving champ, do comedy and actually be funny AND do serious blood feuds and get it over, and just generally get insanely over everywhere he goes. If there were, they would be El Generico.

The only reason Generico isn't in WWE is because he is not a juiced up freak. It's a shame, because he'd be the perfect babyface for them. Kids would love him.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Renaissance Spam posted:

Speaking of Xpac heat, I get a little worried about Mike Bennett in Ring of Honor. I think he's a very good talent, with a look and smile that makes you just want to boo him, but when I see him in shows it's like the fans seriously HATE him. Is he getting Xpac heat?

No, he's just really loving hateable and knows how to piss off ROH fans. Also, he's from Boston, and New York crowds are gonna poo poo on guys for that (people even booed a little when they announced Eddie Edwards was from Boston)

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Hirams Bitch posted:

That's really tricky because you're calling the American Wolves both Main Eventers, but Matt Hardy is a much, much bigger star (literally and figuratively) than either of them. How do you really define main eventer? I'm sure Jim Neidhart and Marty Jannetty have main evented some indy shows.

He obviously means main event in their promotion.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
2007 ROH had some great stuff - The Briscoes/Steenerico feud was fantastic, as was the whole "2 straight falls" gimmick. Age of The Fall had a hot start, too. Also, Morishima as champ was brilliant.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still partial to the night that Edge and Christian faced The APA in a PPV in Dallas, Texas. Edge and Christian opened with a promo about how Dallas sucked so much that if JFK hadn't been assassinated he would have committed suicide just to get out of the goddamn town.

I remember being :aaa: when it happened, it's akin to going to New York and saying how clear and open the sky looks now those goddamn towers are finally out of the way.

Austin Aries subtly mentioned 9/11 to get heel heat at an ROH show (I think Manhattan Mayhem III?) It worked.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Didn't Aries get in huge trouble for that? Or was it something else? I seem to remember something happening between him and ROH that got him in really hot water, maybe I'm misremembering though.

I don't know anything about that, but it's possible. I remember he didn't say "9/11" outright, and just said stuff about New York being a city accustomed to tragedy and that things were going to blow up tonight or whatever.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

He was loving great on the Chris Gethard show, too.

I have never been more jealous than when my friends on that show got to hang out with Colt and get chopped and put in a fireman's carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
What's Akira Tozawa doing now? I'm re-watching PWG from 2011 and I forgot how amazing he was and how much everyone loved him. Why isn't he a huge star in Japan / why didn't he come back to America?