Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I was curious as to what the overall opinion here was about which Wrestlemania match is Shawn Michaels best. I've listed all of them below even the Rockers matches just for the hell of it but I think it's safe to say you can start the list at Wrestlemania X.

WrestleMania VI: The Orient Express defeated The Rockers
WrestleMania VII: The Rockers defeated The Barbarian and Haku
WrestleMania VIII: Shawn Michaels (with Sensational Sherri) defeated Tito Santana.
WrestleMania IX: Tatanka defeated Shawn Michaels (c) by countout in a match for the Intercontinental Championship .
WrestleMania X: Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels (c) in a Ladder match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
WrestleMania XI: Diesel (c) defeated Shawn Michaels in a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XII: Shawn Michaels defeated Bret Hart (c) in an Iron Man match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XIV: Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated Shawn Michaels in a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XIX: Shawn Michaels defeated Chris Jericho.
WrestleMania XX: Chris Benoit defeated Triple H (c) and Shawn Michaels in a triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship
WrestleMania XXI: Kurt Angle defeated Shawn Michaels.
WrestleMania XXII: Shawn Michaels defeated Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match
WrestleMania XXIII: John Cena (c) defeated Shawn Michaels in a a match for the WWE Championship
WrestleMania XXIV: Shawn Michaels defeated Ric Flair in a Career Threatening match
Wrestlemania XXV: The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels

It's REALLY tough to just pick one. For me personally it's between the Jericho and Angle matches, going back and rewatching those I enjoyed them the most. Jericho tuning up the band will always hold a special place in my heart. There really is no wrong answer to this unless you picked the WM9 match or something.

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Going back to the Shawn WM stuff didn't Kurt Angle and him have another match(es) that was almost on par or better than their Wrestlemania one that Shawn won or did I dream this? If not how many matches have they had vs one another total?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Powers of Pain are the only one that are coming to mind off the top of my head. I don't ever recall the Warlord (Warload) or the Barbarian being face after they split. They were tag champs and it was twenty years ago so yeah doesn't seem like a trend.

Edit: To add a few more to your list,

Twin Towers - Akeem turned on Bossman, thus turning Bossman face.
Strike Force - Martel turned on Santana, thus turning Martel heel.
Hart Foundation - After WM7 and losing the titles Bret went on his singles run and I think Neidhart just sort of vanished, if not this could be another.

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 19, 2009

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Can also throw in the New Age Outlaws as a team that never turned on each other I think. They each just sort of drifted apart and went after the IC and Hardcore titles. Then Billy Gunn became one of the most worthless KOTR winners of all time and it gets cloudy for me after this.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Powers of Pain were never champs. Fuji sold Barbarian's contract to Heenan and Warlord's to Slick and they were both heels.

Ahh, my mistake I guess I just assumed they feuded with Demolition and must have traded the titles with them at least once. Now that I think back though it was Strike Force, the Brain Busters and the Colossal Connection that the Demolition tag team title wins were over.

Rumor has it the Powers of Pain were broken up due to LOD being in contract negotiations and they had too much of a similar look to LOD so they demanded that they be split and be repackaged with different gimmicks. Could have said the same thing about Demolition IMO.

dusty udder smoker posted:

thats another thing: what are some notable tag teams that never held the tag titles in WWE/WCW?

Bushwhackers, Rythym and Blues, Power and Glory are a couple more that come to mind.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Razor Ramon definitely had promos before debuting and I'm pretty sure Val Venis did as well.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Bret didn't really snub Vince on a handshake at the HOF did he?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Just seems out of place if he really did. Since there's that picture of them shaking hands due to what I'm 99% sure is because of Bret's HOF induction before the actual induction ceremony itself. I realize Vince is heeling it up but he said last night on Raw how Bret spit in his face (true), punched him backstage (true), and then wouldn't shake his hand at the HOF ceremony so I was just wondering. Bret lying and saying Vince wouldn't let him come back every time he asked was pretty hilarious and a :raise: moment.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Yeah I think you're right about that now that I think back on it. The DVD was in 2005 and HOF induction 2006 so my brain just merged the two events together.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
JR was what I first thought of as not changing. Mickie James I'm pretty sure is the same since debuting in 2006 and maybe some of the other Divas if you even want to count them. Kofi and Swagger have stayed the same? Or have they not been around long enough to count either?

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 7, 2010

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Speaking of racism I was watching Wrestlemania 4 last night due to boredom and during the Demolition/Strike Force tag team championship match Ventura was really letting Tito Santana have it. "I'll bet that Chico Santana wishes he was back in Tijuana selling tacos again, Gorilla!" This was in 1987, amazing the poo poo they got away with and there's probably worse than this example. Heeling it up is one thing but come on.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
What was the original plan for Lesnar/Goldberg before everything went to poo poo? I could probably leave my question at that but I won't. They had their quick stare down tease at Survivor Series, followed by Lesnar F5'ing Goldberg during the Rumble causing him to be eliminated. Lesnar then drops the title to Eddie at No Way Out when Goldberg takes Stone Cold's advice and interferes. Was Lesnar confirmed as leaving at this point hence the title drop? After this it gets hazy for me. Did they realize a deal wasn't going to be worked out with Goldberg to renew his contact and then to make things worse Brock decided to leave on top of that? So they kind of just said gently caress it and got Stone Cold involved to send them off in front of a hot crowd who knew they were both leaving the company?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Minidust posted:

Once it was clear that they were BOTH leaving, the "time honored tradition" no longer applied so i guess they just put the face over (or perhaps they felt more betrayed by the way Brock left).

That's pretty much what I assumed since Brock hit them out of nowhere with it where at least with Goldberg they knew what was coming. Had Brock waited til after Wrestlemania to announce his departure I think he most likely would've gone over.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

PsiKoTicK posted:

It was actually the next night on Raw, so.. less than a month is an understatement. He never held the belt longer than a week, possibly barely over 24 hours.

Well to be fair he won his first title December 29th, 1998 which is recognized as actually starting on January 4th, 1999 as it was a taped Raw. Then lost it January 24th, 1999 at the Royal Rumble to the Rock in a "I Quit" match, so almost 3 weeks!

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Hockles posted:

I thought Wrestlemania 2000 was the 4 way main event with a McMahon in each corner.

It was. Austin missed Wrestlemania 2000 after being run over by a car at Survivor Series but in realty still needed neck surgery since Owen Hart broke his neck.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
What's the record for longest stretch between Wrestlemania matches? I figure Bret may have it after this year if he's actually put in a match. Just got me wondering.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I just thought of Steamboat, he faced Valentine at Wrestlemania IV and then Jericho last year so that would be 21 years. After that probably Snuka who faced the Undertaker at Wrestlemania VII and was also in last year's match vs Jericho.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

KuruMonkey posted:

Third question: when and why did Kane lose the mask and hair?

And to add a little to Psycho Mantits since I already had this typed up. This was during 2003 I think. Basically, when Austin was Co-General manager of RAW he gave Kane the chance to face Triple H for the WHC. The other Co-GM Bischoff said that if Kane loses the match he would be unmasked. Kane accepted and ended up losing thanks to interference and took off his mask. It really needed to be saved for a PPV but whatev.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
With Miz & MVP facing each other at the Rumble and then each being in the actual Rumble match itself it got me thinking what other times has this happened?

I know Piper won the IC title from The Mountie in 1992 and then entered the Rumble. I also recall Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Boss Man and Ken Shamrock in 1999 being in single's title matches and then entering only because I was at that show which was probably the worst Royal Rumble ever. Has it happened any other times?

Also when was the last time Raw got bumped for the Westminster Dog Show/Tennis/something else? And why did they do this in the first place when Raw is the longest running weekly episodic show in history!

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Interesting, Edge from 2005 as well after defeating Michaels.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I was browsing WWEClassics.com and they've got 25 matches from Cena's first year in the company (2002) and only one is over 7 minutes and it's a tag team match. I had taken a break at this point and didn't get back in until 2004. What was his first year like? Anything worth watching? I can figure it out myself to not watch what I presume are squashes vs the likes of Billy Kidman and Rico's of that era but there are a few matches with Jericho in there.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Jerusalem posted:

Cena's debut against Kurt Angle was really exciting stuff because they really played up that maybe he WAS going to win against Angle. His stuff with Edge and Rey was entertaining, and his feuds with Eddie Guerrero and Brock Lesnar were pretty entertaining too. I couldn't give you an exact timeline but I'm pretty sure those all fell within his first year.

I have seen his debut against Angle before which I liked a lot even with his silly hair and "I'm John Cena!" From then until his first feud with the Undertaker I don't think I've seen anything. Never saw the early stuff vs Brock, Eddie, Rey and Edge I'll have to dig that up, thanks.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Are there a lot of title reigns that are unrecognized by the WWE? There are two tag title reigns that go unrecognized and both are vs the Hart Foundation coincidentally. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers in 1987 and The Rockers in 1990. I feel like I'm missing another really obvious one. What are some other ones that went unrecognized?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I recently watched Shawn Michaels vs The British Bulldog for the European title at One Night Only in Birmingham, England. Heel Shawn was really something special back then. He comes out bouncing around like hes high out of his mind which he probably was. Then goes up to some girls and buries his face in one of their chests and just hangs there for a few seconds. After that he grabs some kids Bulldog action figure and drops it down the front of his pants. During the match there's some spots similar to the Hogan Summerslam oversells. To top it off he goes on to win the European title for no apparent reason in Davey Boy's hometown no less and gets booed out of the building.

So I just found this gem, anyone know what show/match it's from? Right up there with the Edge dick scratch but separate era's obviously.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Tonfa posted:

Are there any other instances of established wrestler losing a match against an unknown jobber than Razor Ramon/1-2-3 Kid and MVP vs. local competitor in UK as part of his losing streak gimmick?

I swear I saw DiBiase lose to someone on Superstars dressed in peach/fuchsia looking tights with jheri curls circa 1991-92 when I was a kid. Might not have been by pin fall though I really don't remember. I've tried to track this down but never had any luck.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

No way. Barry was repackaged as a Jewish nerd who came out to Hava Nagila and teamed up with Hakushi after he beat Skip at SummerSlam.

After the 123 Kid beat Razor, PJ Walker beat DiBiase after Razor distracted DiBiase. That may be who he is thinking of.

Nah definitely wasn't PJ Walker. I thought he had an upset win over IRS anyways not DiBiase but maybe it was both. I do recall the jobber being congratulated afterward by someone and DiBiase freaking out. That hair and trunks are the only thing that really stick out to me, perhaps he even had a pedo mustache.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I've been watching a lot of old footage lately which includes Bob Backlund's first and second runs with the company. It got me thinking why isn't he in the Hall of Fame then I remembered hearing he was offered it but turned it down. Anyone know his reasoning behind this?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Burrito posted:

Was Big Boss Man as awesome in real life as I think he would be?

Yes. I met him when I was about 5 and have a pic lying around somewhere of what looks like him choking me out with the nightstick.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Writer Cath posted:

My friend doesn't believe me that Jeff Jarret occasionally came out on a horse during his Double J days; does anyone remember any specific shows where he did that?

I read this really fast and saw it as Jeff Hardy and immediately wanted to see it.

For content did Tim White ever successfully kill himself? What happened with that, I'm assuming it was just completely dropped and never spoken of again.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
The Rock seemed so primed to win that KOTR too but it's not like he needed which is probably why Shamrock got it.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Sue Denim posted:

Also, what was the deal with Test? He just kind of seemed to disappear, when he seemed like someone to had just about everything he needed for a steady rise up the card in the WWE.

He got a 30 day suspension for violating the wellness policy and requested his release then went to TNA then retired and then really disappeared :(

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

How is the WWE Classics on Demand/WWEClassics.com service

For $4/month it's not bad. They took down the 1993 and 1994 RAW pages but left the links to the videos so maybe they'll put their pages back up in the future or they're lazy and didn't bother to take down the links or they're just stupid. My guess is the latter.

I'd imagine 1995 RAW will stay up for awhile longer as they normally put up 2-3 new episodes a month of RAW/Wreslting Challenge/Superstars and they're currently in September of 1995 for Raw so it should be roughly another 3-4 months by the time they're all up. I will also be annoyed if it ends at 1995 as well.

Some matches with blood involved do go to black and white thanks to the PG era. Matches with a shitload of blood usually just have a disclaimer at the beginning and are shown as they aired. There's no logo blurring that I've seen yet it's either the classic WWF logo or the current logo that is shown. WWF is also bleeped out every time it's mentioned so you'll notice that quite a bit.

The support is horrible for them too and they recently stated they won't be replying to fans through the forum anymore. Unsure what that's about. Hope this helps!

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

sportsgenius86 posted:

Rey and Ziggler were coming off of an awesome match at Summerslam and Morrison had nothing to do with the feud. It was just, "oh tonight is thursday, here is a belt John. enjoy!"

And I think that's what bugs people the most for the "Rey loving over Ziggler story". It was a pretty hot little feud with some fun matches and when Rey actually had to drop the title due to getting suspended it was randomly given to Morrison :confused:

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
How come Raven only managed as Johnny Polo, commentated and did behind the scenes work during his first WWF run? He would wrestle but very rarely and also why did he leave?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

MassRayPer posted:

There is La Luchas Tacos and Boutique in NYC. It is full of lucha shrines and wacky decorations and apparently the food is good authentic Mexican street food.

There's a place called Lucha Libre in San Diego similar to this with a bunch of goofy poo poo all over the wall. It was recently featured on Man vs. Food.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

ColeM posted:

Why did Rick Rude leave the WWF back in the early nineties?

I think it was a couple of things. One because he didn't want to be associated with any of the the steroid charges that were facing WWF at the time and secondly he wouldn't be elevated from where he was. While it would have been awesome he would have never beaten Hogan/Warrior for the championship after his IC title run. He had put over the Warrior and was a major player in grooming him for his Wrestlemania 6 win against Hogan. After putting Warrior over yet again at SummerSlam 90 there wasn't much else for him to do. Going to WCW he did get some midcard title runs and probably more money.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Wasn't BossMan a tag champ with Shamrock?

Yep. He probably also should have won them with Akeem as the Twin Towers when they were main eventing but Demolition just ran poo poo in the late 80s.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Which WWF/E Superstars have made their debuts on PPV? Me and a friend came up with a few and were wondering if we missed any.

Undertaker - Survivor Series 1990
Goldust - In your House 4
Kane - Badd Blood 1997
Big Show - St. Valentines Day Massacre
Tazz - Royal Rumble 2000

I was completely out of the loop from 01-04 so I'm sure there's quite a bit more. Thanks!

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Either is fine. The ones we came up with were a mixture of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

triplexpac posted:

Uhhh Dwayne Gill wrestled as a jobber in 92, but made a comeback debut at Survivor Series 98 vs Mankind. Not sure if that counts.

I'd count that. Gillberg's debut was one of the best comedy spots to come out of the attitude era.

Minidust posted:

Giant Gonzales, 1993 Royal Rumble match (run-in)

Damnit I just watched that awful Rumble this past weekend too. How'd I miss a guy 7 1/2 feet tall?