Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Bigass Moth posted:

Did Steve Corino really pay Paul Heyman $50,000 to be ECW Champ? What are some other good "mark for yourself" stories?

Bret Hart's whole book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I still get mad whenever someone dares speak ill about my hero Bret Hart

I wonder if kids today will feel the same way about Cena in 20 years?

I love his work, I don't like him as a person at all.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I almost feel like we should have a Montreal Screwjob FAQ/Sticky, so that every time we start to go down this rabbit hole we can just point to that.

Not that I don't love talking about the Hitman, but I swear we had an indepth discussion on Montreal just a month or two ago.

Edit: I see it's mentioned in the OP at least haha

I mean, I wasn't only talking about Montreal, but I can see why it'd open that particular can.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

LightsGameraAction posted:

There were a couple other notable (if notorious) things:

- Orton's unstoppable babyface run.
- Drew's "chosen one" gimmick and the fizzle out.
- Matt Hardy running in on Drew's match at Fatal 4-way, then turning into a complete psycho over youtube before getting released.
- Edge's hilarious feud with Kane.

Uhhh I think that's pretty much it actually. Unless you wanna count Mizgirl, that was 2010.

In related news, I watched the 2011 Rumble last night and holy poo poo was it awful.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

I was just struck by the fact that it was only two years ago and I'd forgotten all about so many characters and angles, and in hindsight just about every single one of them was so, so bad. I'm not really a super-negative fan normally but Jesus gently caress.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Do you have any examples of the stuff you were reminded about?

Well I'd totally forgotten about The Corre, which is more on me than anything else. I'd forgotten guys like Huskie Harris and Tyler Reks had ever existed. Just a lot of mid/lower card people and angles I'd totally erased from memory.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

LightsGameraAction posted:

2011 did have Punk and New Nexus ruling the Rumble for a bit, which was pretty fun. It also had John Morrison's crazy Spider-man antics.

I like(d) the New Nexus and I still like Morrison, but the rest of it wasn't much to speak of, really.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Oh cool, this argument has moved to another thread.

Lawler is a giant unfunny creep and everything he says is terrible.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Here is a wrestling question so we can get off of Bella boob talk.

See when someone does a German suplex and finishes it by bridging for a pin, how do they no knock themselves out by landing on their heed?

Are we talking literally or wrestling-logic? Because if it's the latter, the answer is still "wrestling logic."

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Man when I was a kid at his "height" I loving loved Gangrel. If nothing else he had a great theme song/entrance.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

I know Cesaro is an internet darling and lord knows I love the guy but I seriously cannot believe this is even being discussed. Even by goons standards this is...goony.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I heard Alvarez say on the post-Raw show that he's asked people, and they all say nothing happened with Cesaro and the office/Vince.

So, here's this thing that says he's not being punished for anything. It's just weird booking and this is all ridiculous.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

budreck posted:

If that's the case, the inner workings seem to be more interesting than the product itself.

It's not unfair to say that's always been the case.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

So the MITB briefcase is supposed to hold a contract that allows the holder a shot at a title at a moment of their choosing. However, whenever anyone "cashes in" they just bring the briefcase and throw it in the ring or hand it to the ref.

Have they ever shown the ref or anyone else opening the briefcase to check that the contract is executed or even in the briefcase at all? What's to stop a MITB winner from tossing in the briefcase but hanging on to the contract (in case they lose, to effectively cash in twice)?

Isn't the briefcase itself the contract?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Antitonic posted:

I recall RVD actually having a contract signing for his shot, but it's been a while so I'm not sure. I mean, how many contact signings could there be in wrestling? :v:

I can't remember who said it in an interview - Ziggler, maybe? - but I recall them explaining away the "contract" thing with the briefcase-itself-is-the-contract logic.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Do wrestlers get a bonus for having a title?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

There's been a lot of controversy over chairshots to the head ever since Benoit and the resulting study of concussions. But why can't they just do the same spots with gimmicked chairs? The trash cans they use in hardcore brawls are flimsy as hell, so why not make a bunch of chairs that look authentic but bend easily or hit softer? It wouldn't be that difficult; any half-decent props designer can make soft material look solid (sewer pipes made of styrofoam, for example).

I'm aware of why they probably don't, I just miss chairshots that don't look like poo poo.

Well, the noise is part of the spot, isn't it? Any sort of gimmicked/foam chairs just wouldn't be the same.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Oh my god that outfit. STOP MAKING ME WANT TO NOT HATE YOU, JOHN.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

If true, that's crazy :stare:

Maybe it explains why whenever I'm browsing a toy aisle (shut up) the only ones left are 100 Kanes and Big Shows.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

The American Dream posted:

Women think Orton is sexy in a bad boy way. Like they think cena is hot in an all American good guy way.

He's just an oversized version of a normal douchey midwestern dude, so douchey midwestern dudes like him and their girlfriends think he's the hottest guy on Earth. That's basically all there is to it.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Been doing it for about a month now, I'm already pretty thin but I just wanted to feel better/get in slightly better condition and it's been pretty great for that.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Vince is the answer to every single thing

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

I must have seen that entire promo hundreds of times, and I STILL can't pick out a favourite line. The entire thing is just wonderful.

FIVE of 'em!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

How is it that so many major lucha guys just use regular music for their entrances? Is it just a Mexican copyright law thing or what? I just started watching AAA and it's like a mid-to-late aughts ROH show in that respect.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Fell out of the NXT habit and would like to start watching again - where is a good place to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

I watch that Kanyon Cutter compilation at least once a month, might be my favorite wrestling video on YouTube