Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is there a way to watch the Legends of Wrestling Roundtables without having wwe 24/7? These things sound awesome, and I'd like to watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The Artist-Stro match made me realize that Sharmell was The Artist's valet.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In regards to late WCW, who was "Big Al" and why did he feud with Tank Abbott?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Rusty Shackelford posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Green_%28wrestler%29

Also known as the Dog.

What was his feud with Tank about?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Except every now and then there would be a Lance Storm or Benoit or whoever match that was just a straight up wrestling match. They didn't need to be no-dq or no-countout.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
All of them are generally pretty good, although WM25 has my favorite spot and the biggest "OH poo poo" spot.

My favorite spot was Mark Henry holding a ladder upright (that was folded in), and Kofi climbed that as Mark held it. Then Mark let go, caught Kofi as he felt, and WSS'ed him into the ladder. It was loving awesome.

Although WM24 also has Shelton going from a ladder onto a ladder bridge after Kennedy and Carlito tip it over. Then the two of them just sorta stare outside the ring for like, 10 seconds with their mouths wide open.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

atamarav posted:

I was debating asking this in the ROH thread but I figure this thread is probably a better fit.

I loved the Homicide title chase storyline throughout the last half of 2006, culminating with his big emotional win at Final Battle 2006. My question is why is it that he had such a ridiculously short title reign right after?

I figured him being in TNA with the upcoming PPV deal had something to do with it, I just want to make sure. It just seems weird to devote that much time and energy to a storyline and have it peter off like that almost immediately.

I believe Gabe had said that the storyline with Homicide was always about the chase and the win rather than the reign. He compared it to the Rocky movies, where in one and two he was coming up and chasing the title, winning it at the end of two. At the start of three, barely any time is spent on Rocky's title defenses.

The story of a champion is how the won the title and how the lost the title, not really anything in between.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Speaking of Wikipedia, this is probably the worst wrestling related article I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_(2007)

quote:

Eventually, Michaels, attempted to perform his superkick, but to prevent himself from losing the match, he stopped, which then allowed Orton to jump and pull Michaels' head down over his shoulders to the mat for an RKO. Successfully pinning Michaels, Orton retained his WWE Title.[4][6]

quote:

At one point, Batista placed The Undertaker on his shoulders and threw him through a table to perform a "Batista Bomb". The Undertaker, however, retaliated by dropping Batista on his head, onto the ring's steel steps, through a Tombstone Piledriver.

quote:

In a narrative extending to the September 10, 2007 episode of Raw, in which Hornswoggle, a dwarf, was announced as Vince McMahon's illegitimate son.[28] In this storyline, McMahon did not like the fact that Hornswoggle was his son, and as a result, he promoted matches in which Hornswoggle faced much larger opponents. As part of this storyline, McMahon announced that The Great Khali, who was billed as standing at 7 feet 4 inches (2.2 m), would face Hornswoggle at Survivor Series. In a promotional in-ring segment on the episode of Friday Night SmackDown! before the pay-per-view event, Khali and Hornswoggle weighed in for their match, in which Khali weighed double the weight of Hornswoggle; this was a segment created by McMahon to humiliate his son.

quote:

Afterwards, the original feud between the two wrestlers was restarted and culminated into a standard wrestling match, known in professional wrestling as a singles match, at WWE's October pay-per-view event Cyber Sunday; Batista won this match and retained his title.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I don't think I'll ever like any sign as much as this one.

It just rose up as soon as Randy put on the headlock.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Was the Shane Douglas spitting on the belt and stuff a work or a shoot?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Man, remember when the Boogeyman used to smash clocks on his head?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When did Farooq Asad get a title shot?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This was during the Lita/Kane/Snitsky storyline, then Lita started getting chants and boos at her. "You screwed Matt" and whatnot. She eventually turned on Kane and got with Edge just after WM21. They had a wedding, and they teased Hardy coming out when they did the "Does anyone have any objections to this?" It was a loving gigantic pop. Then the ring gave birth to Kane.

Later, Hardy did a few run-ins out of the crowd, and the cameras looked away and the announcers didn't really talk about it. Hardy got to yell out "RING OF HONOR! RING OF HONOR!" a few times, and a few weeks later, McMahon came out, said he rehired him, and Matt Hardy gave a horrible horrible promo.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Didn't Punk refer to his fans as "lil punkers" at some point?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

sportsgenius86 posted:

Title changes that happened on Raw or Smackdown due to injury shouldn't really count IMO.

Why not?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

LividLiquid posted:

It was. It just wasn't the first appearance of WCW on WWE television. Lance storm did a run-in on some nothing match, did a missile drop kick and ran the gently caress off.

He makes kind of a big deal about it on his website sometimes when it comes up. He was the last guy out of the building at the last WCW event and the first guy to fire a shot in the inVasion.

This kinda makes him sound like dick....until you realize that Lance Storm is loving awesome, not just as a wrestler, but he also has a great head for the business and is actually a really funny guy (whenever he's on F4D or BnV).

I hope BnV called him for the Christmas Show this year.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Here's the CM Punk - Shannon Moore promo that was talked about earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egm5qOxo1vE

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

MassRayPer posted:

Any of the Konnan interviews are awesome. Most are Figure 4 Dailies but I think one is a Wrestling Observer Radio.

The Bruno Sammartino interviews are great, both are Wrestling Observer Radios.

The Paul Heyman interview about Captain Lou's death is great.

The Don Frye interview from this summer is loving hilarious too.

In addition to this, there's a great interview with Bryan Danielson.

Also the Bryan and Vinny shows are probably some of the best radio I've heard. Start with the shows right around WM2006 and just listen from there. They're great if you commute from anywhere to anywhere daily (I was driving about 2 hours a day when I started).

In particular, there is a show around the end of 2008 where the get a copy of an Impact script and they review the TNA Christmas episode with the Silent Night Bloody Night Barbed Wire Christmas Tree match. This is probably the high point of Bryan and Vinny.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Goldust was loving amazing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Why is Cena dressed up as Sting?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Not only did it give way immediately, the chair that he was chokeslammed onto ended up landing -on- his face, which is what did most of the damage.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
One of the best matches with good example of "ring psychology" I can think of is Edge/Taker from WM24. Edge had scouted out all of Taker's moves and was slipping out and avoiding them perfectly.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

dusty udder smoker posted:

he was over.

He was bizarre.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Who is doing the Shooting Star Styles Clash in this video around 1:45ish?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Captain Charisma posted:

...and they stayed with their HHH-Cena plan, having HHH win some laughable #1 contender's tournament :geno:

On the other hand, the final match of that tournament gave us Sandman Fan.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anyone have any good stories of why wrestlers wouldn't do things? I was just reading Tajiri's wiki, and when they brought in Sakoda and Akio, WWE originally wanted to porray them as Japanese gangsters.

Tajiri refused this because he was scared the real Yakuza would view this as an insult and hunt him down.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Germ Incubator posted:

When did WWE start altering/adding in crowd noise to shows?

Once the technology to do so was developed.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In the .gif of West and Tenay being really loving excited and high fiving each other....why?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Web Jew.0 posted:

I hope Steiner owns hypocrosy this hard irl

"Sir do you know why I pulled you over?"
"YEPSURE OKAY let's BONTHUS take a DRUG TMESH together."
Policeman walks back to his car.
Puts on sunglasses.
Drives away.

Scott Steiner is on the short list of people from the wrestling business I would want to drink with for a few hours. He's apparently somewhat soft spoken and low-key when he's not cutting a promo.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

crankdatbatman posted:

Is John Cena one of those babyface super assholes? b/c I got the impression he was a nice guy.

If so what is an rear end in a top hat John Cena story?

Literally, the only bad thing I have ever heard about Cena is this board during the 2005/2006 "WE HATE CENARARLAJ" phase.

The guy is apparently just the best person in the world. Everything from doing a hundred and fifty Make a Wish visits a year to being extremely nice and conversational to fans outside of the ring to every story I've heard about him genuinely loving wrestling...yeah, Cena is basically :3: + :glomp: .

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Jerusalem posted:

Something that has always struck me about Triple H is that I get a real sense that he legitimately, 100% is absolutely in love with professional wrestling. This isn't a guy who will drop out at the first chance of something "better" (though in many cases that is an admirable and smart thing to do) because as far as he is concerned, this is as good as it gets. I can easily see him being involved in the up-high running of WWE loooooooooong after he retires as an active wrestler, not because he needs a job or can't do anything else, but because it is all he wants to do.

I get the same feeling about Cena. I legit think that he believes "I can't believe I get to go out and wrestle for a living" even before a house show in podunk Idaho.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

evale posted:

Just read Droz's WrestleMania predictions - what does he do at WWE? Is he part of creative?

He has a job for life if he wants it. WWE are likely paying for his entire medical work, including rehab, and paying him to write things for the website every now and then.

Say what you will about them being a greedy company, but between Tribute for the Troops and WWE offering to put anybody who had ever wrestled under them through rehab for drug or alcohol abuse, I have no doubt in my mind that they'd be paying for Droz's work.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can we talk about how loving horrible Wikipedia is on describing PPVs?

The first televised match was a tag team match in which Edge and Chris Masters (representing Raw) faced off against Rey Mysterio and Matt Hardy (representing SmackDown!). Before the match, it was revealed that Edge refused to wrestle, saying he did not care about representing Raw and choosing Snitsky as his replacement.[4][17] Masters and Snitsky quickly gained the early advantage in the match, as they took the upper hand over Mysterio. Mysterio fought back with a tilt-a-whirl, a counter attack hold. Afterwards, Hardy and Snitsky were tagged in, leading to Hardy getting the advantage as he grabbed Snitsky by the side and drove Snitsky's head onto the wrestling mat. Back and forth action took place between both teams. The match ended when Mysterio performed the 619 on Masters, followed by Hardy grabbing Snitsky's head in a forward position and forcefully pulling it down over his shoulders. Mysterio pinned Masters and giving SmackDown! the win over Raw.[4][17]

The next match was another tag team match involving Rob Conway and Tyson Tomko versus Eugene and Jimmy Snuka, who won the fans' vote with 42%. The team of Conway and Tomko dominated Eugene in the early start of the match. Eugene, however, fought back by avoiding Tomko's attacks. Eugene tagged Snuka in and performed a series of chops to Conway's chest and headbutted him in the process. In retaliation, Tomko attacked Snuka from behind, but Eugene fought him off, as he extended his arm out and knocked him out of the ring and out of the match. Eugene performed a jawbreaker on Conway, which proceeded with Eugene to lift Conway by holding his back horizontally and slamming it down, termed as a side slam. Snuka covered Conway for the pinfall victory. After the match, Tomko attacked Snuka and Eugene until Jim Duggan and Kamala came down and fought off Tomko.[4][17]

The third match was between Carlito and Mankind, which was the gimmick chosen for Foley by the fans' vote with 52%. The match began with Carlito performing a dropkick on Mankind. Mankind, however, got the advantage over Carlito. Mid-way through the match, Mankind tried to use a steel chair on Carlito, but Carlito avoided getting hit, as he executed a drop toe-hold, sending Mankind to hit the steel steps. Mankind rose to his feet, which led Carlito to perform a standing dropkick, resulting in Mankind to hit the back of his head into the steel steps. Back in the ring, Mankind received the upper hand after he bended Carlito forward and hooked each arm behind Carlito's back, tucked his head under one of Mankind's arms, and then fell back to pull Carlito down flat on his face which caused Carlito to roll over. He then forced Carlito to submit with the Mandible claw and win the match.[4][17]

The main event was the WWE Championship match, in which John Cena defended the title against Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels, who received the fans' vote to be part of the Triple Threat match. During the beginning of the match, Cena performed a back body drop on Angle, sending him to outside. Michaels, who had been thrown out of the ring, received the upper hand over Cena until Angle returned to the match and performed a variety of suplexes on both Michaels and Cena. Mid-way in the match, Angle and Michaels double teamed Cena, lifting him in the air crashing face-first on the Spanish announce table. Back in the ring, Angle lifted Michaels on his shoulders and spinned 90° to slam him down to the mat, a move Angle calls the Angle Slam, from the top of the turnbuckles. Angle then tried to apply the ankle lock hold on Michaels, but Cena came into the ring and clotheslined Angle out of the ring. Cena proceeded by executing a back body drop on Michaels and attempting to perform a fist drop with theatrics, but was pulled out of the ring by Angle, who tossed him over the security barricade. The match concluded when Angle caught Cena in the ankle lock. Michaels, who was on the outside, climbed the top rope and drove his cocked elbow onto Angle's chest, who was laying on the mat holding onto Cena's ankle. Michaels performed a superkick, which saw the sole of his foot strike Angle's chin, a move in which Michaels calls Sweet Chin Music. Following this, Cena lifted Michaels over his shoulders and threw him down to execute the FU. Cena got the pinfall victory and thus retained his title.[4]

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I don't know. I just came across these articles while looking for proof that KID KASH was a cruiserweight champion (i don't believe it).

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Writer Cath posted:

He's just a big fan of Johnny Nitro's Extreme Power Combat Fighter.

Did he actually take part in the making of that himself?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Moose Bigelow posted:

You've hear of NXT? Lawler's show is called FRST.

Graders?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The best part of that was when Spirit Squad made a match between Shawn and Kane, and told Shawn he had to wear a special shirt while wrestling.

It had "May 19th" written on it like, 50 times.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mr. Yuk posted:

Are there any decent wrestling podcasts out there? I listen to Wrestlecrap Radio, and it's amusing, but generally only tangentally wrestling related.

I'm a big fan of everything on https://www.f4wonline.com

I could just put in an old Bryan and Vinny show and listen to it for fun. It really is fun to work your way from like, January 2006 up through current day listening to them bitch about wrestling. Highlights include Bryan hating the 2007 King of Trios, Silent Night Bloody Night, Shawn vs. Kennedy at Armageddon 2007, and Terry Funk's internet promo before ONS 2.

It's $10ish a month, but you also get at least one new podcast a day (dealing with wrestling or MMA - both current and historical), a new F4W newsletter every week, at least one new Wrestling Observer per week, one archived Wrestling Observer, and access to all the podcasts and newsletters they've put on the site.

Just by Bryan and Vinny shows alone, there is probably 800 hours of audio.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can we rage about Wikipedia pro-wrestling articles again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVYrjMXMqc#t=06m33s

This is still my favorite sequence in any of the Botchamanias, mainly for this goof that looks like Lucky Cannon and the shooting star press a few seconds later.

Seriously, you have to watch that shooting star press.