Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just started watching wrestling again after getting a new housemate who is massively into it (I grew up watching it from the early 90's up until just after the end of the WWF attitude era) and I'm reading a ton of wiki stuff and character biographies to catch up on the stories I've missed and the TNA and ROH stuff I never even knew existed.

Alongside this I see a lot of wrestlers/assorted industry guys have put out their own biographies and I'm wondering which ones are worth looking at? A quick browse through amazon and some googling reveals a lot of books that look more like company authorised (and therefore sanitised of anything interesting) biographies than the warts-and-all stuff most people prefer to read in a biography.

I'd be especially interested in anyone who was big in the time I first watched it but really anything with crazy wrestler hi-jinks would be acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Edit: Kind of beaten, so have a link to the 30-second book review thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2758664

How I missed that I'll never know, thanks for the link and the tips

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

warbrides posted:

Is Brock Lesnar's book worth reading?

He paints himself as a simple man who likes simple things like working on his farm but also a man who just wants to do whatever he can to earn as much money as possible as fast as he can because he likes having a shitload of money and being rich as gently caress.

Most of the stuff you'd be interested in is completely glossed over with the excuse "And I don't remember what happened at X because I was out of my mind on all the painkillers I had to take to keep myself from curling up and dying during my WWE career". Seriously, every single time it gets to him doing something major in the WWE it's this excuse, so there aren't any interesting details.

The latter half of the book is about his MMA career and it's pretty much "I like it because I get to smash guys faces in for real and get paid, this is awesome I am the baddest man on the planet" with a chapter about how he nearly died of colonitis. He takes the time to proclaim Canada's healthcare system as being third world and almost killing him, and telling how he had to cross the border in agony to get to a Real American Hospital to save his own life.

There, I just saved you reading the entire thing.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 12, 2011

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sexy_trash posted:

Whats the weirdest (moderately true) thing you've heard about Vince McMahon?

In Bret Hart's book McMahon spends a bunch of time drunk and high as gently caress, including one night in a hotel room stripping down and wrestling with all the guys.

There's one story in there where they're all drunk in a bar somewhere, and somehow Bret and Jim Neidhart get dared into performing their tag team finisher on him when someone else makes out they're going to do theirs and wusses out in the last minute.

This leads to Bret clotheslining McMahon and bouncing his head off the floor, and the guy is so drunk he doesn't give a gently caress.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Perigryn posted:

Plus the initials fit.

I think they even told Brock not to do the move anymore due to the risk but he went ahead and did it at Wrestlemania and well...

In his book he mentions he'd stopped doing it for a while because it was so retardedly dangerous for a guy his size, but JR and John Laurinitis talked him into it because it would be "a helluva wrestlemania moment"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bischoff comes off as a saint in his book pretty much. Everything was blamed on Turner and later AOL Time Warner executives who supposedly hated wrestling and wanted to force it to be unprofitable in the face of all his cool ideas to turn the company around.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Well, because I refuse to pay full price for Eric Bischoff's book, on the off-chance that I find it at a used book store, I doubt I will read it. It doesn't surprise me that he comes across as a saint, but I was hoping he'd at least offer an opposing view without coming across as bullshit.

And, on that note, does anyone have any good wrestling, or wrestling-related, books to read? Off the top of my head, I have read all of Foley's except for the last one, both of Jericho's, Bret Hart, Freddie Blassie, Ric Flair, Death of WCW, and the first Wrestlecrap one (ugh). I thought the Shawn Michael's book may be good, just to read his perspective on the Clique and Bret/Shawn stuff, but that's about the extent of what looks interesting to read for me.

I liked Terry Funk's book, he seems pretty genuine throughout.

I will second the below nomination for Regal's book, I completely forgot about that one but it is another very good one.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 31, 2012

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Karmine posted:

Attitude Era/Monday Night Wars was a glorious time and I feel bad for anyone who wasn't a wrestling fan then.

My housemate completely missed the Attitude Era while it was pretty much the peak of my wrestling fandom years as a kid. He's always talking about today's big pops and I always end up mentioning how they'd have been doing that from open to close at every single show back in the day.

Even Alex Riley would have them going berserk 12 years ago.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Monkeycheese posted:

Is there a definitive verdict on if the shooting star press was planned all along or just Brock freelancing?

In Brock's book he says John Laurinitis and Jim Ross told him he should do it because it would make for an awesome "wrestlemania moment". He practised it repeatedly until he was cool with it but somehow everyine forgot to account for the fact he'd be doing it for real after working fairly hard for 20 minutes and having sweat all over himself and the turnbuckle, so he blames the botch on a combination of being tired and slippery.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suleman posted:

So I've really been enjoying Mark Henry in the past year or so, but watching some of his earlier matches, I've noticed that he used to be much, much more mobile and versatile. So why is it that the current, immobile Mark Henry is considered more entertaining?

I mean, yeah, his new gimmick and attitude is better, but even his matches (like the recent Punk vs Henry) get better reactions on the internet than, say, his 2002 stuff used to.

Some examples of the younger Mark Henry in action, so you can see what I'm talking about.
http://youtu.be/HlXPFAqgz3o
http://youtu.be/H-M2tIfE-nk

Probably because his current gimmick and push are working really well together. he's coming accross as a legitimate angry monster who just wants to gently caress people up and talk about how bad rear end he is while backing it up. All the shouting and taunting he does while hes working now sell it really well, its a lot of fun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

budreck posted:

Why are arena lights dimmed at house shows but not PPV's or televised events?

At PPV, Raw, Smackdown, anything televised etc. the arena lights are up so the viewers at home can see the crowds, because a hot crowd helps to sell the event better to the people watching on TV.

At the house shows nobody cares what the crowd look like since nobody outside of the building will ever see it short of random cellphone clips people put on youtube when something interesting happens so there's no point in lighting them up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This isn't so much a wrestling question as it is a punchsport pagoda question but wasn't there a thread full of the ugliest wrestling shirts? It had a link to some russian site selling hilarious knockoffs that I've been trying to find but the thread seems to have vanished and I can't find it in the archives.

Anyone know what that site was or where the thread is?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Everything was free on Sky Sports in the UK except for the odd PPV they ran over here, back in the day. None of this scrambler malarky, you just had to stay up til 4am as quietly as possible and still get up for school 4 hours later.

:britain:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Related discussion: this is why I'm less convinced that piracy is hurting PPV now more than it used to, because I'm pretty sure everyone that wanted to pirate PPVs either had one of these or knew someone who had one of these in the pre-digital cable age.

I'll bet the number of people who had cable descramblers to watch WWE PPV is less than the number of people who just grab it off bittorrent the day after.

Although I guess that might just be more prevalent outside the US where PPV's are on at some ungodly hour so people are thinking "gently caress paying for that AND staying up all loving night I'll just download it for free and watch it when it's convenient for me".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

How do you cheat on someone if they're into swinging?

Some friends of mine are in a swinging relationship thing and basically if either of them was to gently caress someone else and not tell the other they would consider that cheating, even though they have no problem loving other people as long as the other knows.

People have all kinds of rules for their personal kinks.

I remember being so goddamn excited about seeing The Kat's boobs when I was like 14. It didn't matter that I had internet and there were boobs all over it, these were PPV boobs and they were totally shown by accident you guys isnt that awesome?!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

Coming upon HiaC, I've always wondered if the top of the cage for Taker/Mankind that Foley fell through was gimmicked or not? I vaguely remember hearing that it wasn't and it was never intended for him to fall through the top.

It was definitely gimmicked, if you watch carefully I believe at one point Undertaker almost puts his foot through the corner of the gimmicked section and you can see the little bits of whatever it is they're using to hold it temporarily in place pop off as the corner folds down.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

Rhyno still had the best spear in the business :colbert:

:supaburn: THE GOOOORRREEEEEE

I used to mark so hard for that, watching ECW back in the day. Joey Styles was selling that on commentary like JR watching Foley dive off the cell every time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

They haven't OFFICIALLY, but WWE hasn't cared about the brand extension in years (or ever). SmackDown attendance has been awful and they figured more people would go to SD shows if all the SD exclusive wrestlers were on RAW as well.

I could have sworn mister Hs first order of business after he fired Vince was to come out on Raw the next night and declare the brand extension dead.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think it was the Zack Ryder episode where Punk stops by and tells the story about him and Luke Gallows meeting Zack's dad for the first time. That one is worth it for that story.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't believe that. If ICP's movies are like their wrestling fed, then the actors are treated well and duly compensated for their time.

It will never stop being weird that the most carny and awful musicians are also the least carny and awful wrestling promoters currently operating possibly anywhere in the world.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

LightsGameraAction posted:

Wasn't the entire crux of the Shamrock/Venis feud that Ken was super-protective of his sister but she was supposedly a huge slut and giving it up to a bunch of the wrestlers, Val primary amongst them?

I remember Goldust and Billy Gunn also being involved for trying to/succeeding in getting with Ryan, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they wedged Edge in on a one-off Raw too.

I remember a promo where Val Venus was in the shower with her and made a Shaving Ryan's Privates joke. That's all I can remember about Val Venus.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaylord Plower posted:

Do you really need to remember anything else?

I think he said Hairy Twatter once too

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Hogan was once The Incredible Hulk Hogan and Gangrel was a vampire using a White Wolf name.

Vader is not nearly as solid a case.

They licensed the Gangrel name from White Wolf, they always had the license details in the intro splashes for the WWF games of that era.

I imagine Vader never had any issues because he wasn't a wink-wink-nudge-nudge style knockoff. "Incredible Hulk Hogan" is obviously trying to evoke The Incredible Hulk in the manner of Hogan being a big muscular guy like Hulk, but Vader was just a fat dude in a red and black singlet and a red leather mask with absolutely no attempt to draw any kind of goofy parallel with Darth Vader. I guess you could tenuously say "What about his big goofy helmet :smug:" but that doesn't exactly scream "Low rent Darth Vader" either because it doesn't look remotely like it could be even related to Darth Vader.

EDIT: /\/\/\

Apparently some people do see the helmet and think Darth. YMMV.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not really a question about wrestling but it is wrestling related, something that's just started bugging me, where do people get all the clean titantrons they upload to youtube? Are they ripping them out of the games somehow? That wouldn't explain the newer ones though, so is there some kind of secret online WWE titantron depository?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

John Cena posted:

the concept of pro wrestling sure isn't "wacky moves"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMECSKzdSQ
:colbert:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

warbrides posted:

Does Rock have an endorsement deal with Under Armour?

Are those t shirts/vests/whatevers being manufactured by WWE with an added Under Armour logo stuck on?

I'm pretty sure he's tweeted before about Under Armour making gear for him

Quick edit: Fast find on google

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/38864688787890176

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

That one almost seemed like more of an accident. It was during a match, she lost her top, and...um, she was ridiculously big.

I'm pretty sure it was some bikini contest with sable, possibly the same time sable came out and revealed just 2 black latex handprints covering her tits.

I was maybe 12 and it was the bomb.

Actually I think it happened with her more than once, the bikini contest was one of her boobs popping out but im sure there was a match where she was on a refs shoulders for some reason and her whole top got ripped off.

Attitude era really wasnt for kids when you look back at it.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 21, 2013

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memento1979 posted:

Anyone know if El Generico is still sending out merch? I ordered a shirt from his site on the 1st of Feb, shortly before it closed down, and I was pretty sure I had gotten in before the cut off. I got charged, at any rate.

Entirely understandable if he's busy enough that shirts aren't a priority; also, I'm in Australia so it could just be that it takes a long time to get here.

It took 3 months for my shirt to arrive when I ordered it. I e-mailed him to ask about it and he kayfabe'd me in his apology :3:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Kind of odd, since he was the one to talk Jake Roberts into switching from long pants to long tights.

Slippery slope, tights show thighs off better than pants, but years of exposure means Vince can only pop one to fully bare legged guys.

If Cena didn't compromise with the jorts he wouldn't be able to leave backstage without peeling a madly humping Vince off his legs first.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why was the Montreal Screwjob such a big deal? Like, why does Bret Hart care if he wins or loses the title (since wrestling is fake)? Isn't that like an actor playing Romeo being mad that his character has to commit suicide at the end of the play?

Its more like the dude playing romeo is getting ready for his big scene and then the director has tybalt bumrush the stage screaming IM ALIVE YOU rear end in a top hat QUIT BANGING MY COUSIN then the curtain drops and that's the end of the play.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought it was only unprotected chairshots that were banned anyway? I could swear I've seen protected head chairshots in WWE programming in the last 18 months.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

:siren: Implied Game of Thrones Spoiler :siren:

Spoiler tags exist you know.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Minges posted:

One side of one panel was supposed to stay attached, so it hinged down like a door. He'd bump near the top and roll down the incline. I forget where I read that that's what the little dark bits were in the ring: the zip ties that were supposed to break away .

You can definitely see zip-tie looking parts where the roof of the cage is obviously gimmicked to come apart. I haven't watched it for a while but I'm pretty sure at one point while they're brawling around on the roof Undertaker's foot slips through the loose gap a little and you can see it break away partly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Otto von Ruthless posted:

They just haven't figured out a way to work 'yes' into the name of the move yet.

He got a push 6 years too late for "yes knee can" :911:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He does seem to be a legit nice guy.

Is this a new book he's put out? Is it wall to wall drunkicho stories like the last one? Because that's a non-starter right there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Another Person posted:

Alright, I nicked the poster for the show with Hero. The other guy in the main event is Marty Scurll. Ex-TNA bootcamp guy supposedly. He any good?

He landed in my lap at the last show I went to, almost killing the guy sat infront of me.

This is all I remember about Marty Scurll. Good match though, I'd see him again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Joey Sstyles is a douche but I still have some affection for him because of how much of my high school wrestling experience was punctuated by "OH MY GOD!"

OH MY GOD is literally second only to BAH GAWD in the pantheon of great wrestling announcer calls, for all styles' faults.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No "WILL YOU STOP?!"?

And I've always been partial to Vince's "ON HIS CHEST TWO AND YAH!!"

WILL YOU STOP, while a classic, wasn't calling the match so much as great interaction between commentators.

In contrast, when you hear JR screaming BAH GAWD you know some serious poo poo just went down in the ring.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea if you liked A Lion's Tale and Undisputed, you'll like the new book. And he's definitely less of a douche than he was in Undisputed. The worst part of the book is anything about Fozzy's "new look."

I'm halfway in and he's only just done his first "aren't my drunken antics hilarious" bit so it's more readable than the last one in that regard, but he says froot at least twice a page now so it's swings and roundabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No way