Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LividLiquid posted:

80% of the population aren't in broadcasting. It's inexcusable.

Would you say it's literally inexcusable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Pneub posted:

Sports Entertainment Superstar coops

Wait, so it's Terry Taylor's website?

If I were to start some tape trading for WCW and ECW, what would be some good years or general eras to focus on? I mean, I know both have plenty of bad but I'd like to have some sequential episodes and PPVs to watch without constantly screaming and clutching my head

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

oldpainless posted:

And how the gently caress do you break someone's neck and not apologize?

I imagine it'd be pretty goddamn awkward to go "Uhh... sorry for... breaking your neck? Sorry? Oh jeez..."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

CVagts posted:

I'm gonna ask this: does anyone else think that Bryan Danielson's continual references to ties and whatnot in his indy bookings might hurt his chances to get back into WWE? Like if someone tells Vince about it, Vince might see it as Danielson mocking what he got fired for, and that would essentially kill his chances to come back.

I don't think there is much in the way of consistent logic for what will and will not bite you in the rear end in the world of pro wrestling.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Quick one: what's the story behind Christian's rear end cream? I've seen the picture of him holding the tub and that's it.

He has a problem.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Where's the best place to buy Chikara DVDs? I'm interested in the King of Trios DVDs but 1.) Smart Mark Videos only has the last two and 2.) I can't justify dropping 60 dollars for the full event right now :(

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

apsouthern posted:

Other than ebay, where most will be lovely pirated copies, Smart Mark is the only place to buy them (and they have a sale on at the moment so you'll save 25% on that $60).

Also, they have 2007 and 2008 as well

King of Trios 2007: Night One http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-16-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-1-Hellertown-PA/
King of Trios 2007: Night Two http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-17-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-2-Barnesville-PA/
King of Trios 2007: Night Three http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-Feb.-18-2007-King-Of-Trios-Night-3-Philadelphia-PA/

King of Trios 2008: Night One http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-February-29-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-1-Philadelphia-PA/
King of Trios 2008: Night Two http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-March-1-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-2-Philadelphia-PA/
King of Trios 2008: Night Three http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-DVD-March-2-2008-2008-King-Of-Trios-Night-3-Philadelphia-PA/

Yessss thank you. I couldn't find them for some reason. Now, the question is, if I had to get one King of Trios event, which one should I sink my teeth into?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Orgophlax posted:

But their name still has wrestling in it? :confused:

That's it, you're depushed.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm really beginning to think that the early Japanese and indy deathmatch scenes were kind of like a "Rated M for Mature" version of Chikara.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't that also the trip that had Juvi get high as gently caress and run around a hotel naked and get into an altercation with a cop?

I would honestly be surprised if that's the only time that happened.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Are there any notable masked wrestlers whose identities are still unknown?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ChampRamp posted:

Why did Rey quit the platform jump? I completely forgot.

Probably so he'll still have something resembling knees left.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DannoMack posted:

All of this is somehow true. Kane defies all logic.

Well, yeah. I mean, he voted for Ron Paul, didn't he?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Law posted:

I'm writing a paper on masculinity and I'm doing a bit on professonal wrestling. There was this duo I read about earlier in the year, they were basically there as token gay characters to be mocked by all the other wrestlers but I can't for the life of me remember their names. I've tried googling them but it didn't come up with anything. IIRC it wasn't out right stated that they were gay but it was heavily implied. I couldn't say what they were in since I know next to nothing about wrestling but they were around in the last 10 years or so.

If anyone knows who I'm talking about here that'd be a great help.

e:
Ah! Thank you so much!
vvv

Jeez... With all of this "help", maybe you should stop the idea of a paper on masculinity and focus it on why mankind as a whole probably wouldn't suffer if pro wrestling was nuked.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

triplexpac posted:

Did the wrestling dream thread get axed? I can't find it and I had so many wrestling dreams last night :ohdear:

Looking at it, apparently some wrestling rape dreams or whatever came up and the thread got gassed.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
My parents never really wanted me watching it, especially my mom. Eventually, my dad relented and sat me down to tell me about how fake it was. Apparently my dad had done work with varying Tennessee-based feds in the '80s as a cameraman and video production assistant, and he knew a lot of the wrestlers and managers. I got to learn about a ton of the tricks of the trade and was probably hell to talk to in the eyes of the other kids that just wanted to believe, but oh well. I still had flashes of "OH poo poo THAT'S TOTALLY REAL"

Also my mom was working as a general assistant in one of the feds, and some territory star that went nowhere tried to get her as a ring rat. Yyyyup.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
At least one of the wrestlers my dad worked with would score his forehead before the match and put makeup over it, so when someone punched him in the forehead it'd bust open. Never really heard of this practice since but that was my introduction to the concept of blading.

CombineThresher posted:

Was it Wildfire Tommy Rich?

Man, I have no idea and I'm not sure I want to know.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Wasn't there something in previews about a WCW invasion storyline? It probably has to do with that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Let's see, other wrestlers who come off as assholes according to Internet lore:

Abdullah the Butcher supposedly has hepatitis and blades himself and his opponents, often without the opponent's permission.

Didn't Abby have a tendency to screw other black workers out of appearances in Japan so that he'd be the only major black dude?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

tzirean posted:

Get thee to the puro thread, and Ditch will probably happily educate you.

Your education will involve pain. Physical pain.

My question: I've heard that the luchador Oro was important, but last night I tried to find footage of him and all I could find was footage of his death.

I can find plenty of footage of Owen Hart that's not his death announcement/his supposed death video/his tribute show/lovely music video tributes but none of Oro that aren't literally watching him die.

So basically, 1.) does anyone have any match footage of the supposedly important Oro?
2.) is he only remembered because of his young death or what?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Perigryn posted:

Here's one I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF48xEhgQL0 (not very clear though)

From what I remember reading about him, he was an amazing high flier and had the potential to become that major crossover lucha star at that point in his career like Rey did years later). He studied lots of tapes from all around the world to improve himself as a worker, which ironically lead to his death when he tried to duplicate one of Kobashi's 'landing on his head' bumps and it ended tragically for him.

Yeah, I knew all of that but that's some more context than I've heard on his status. I've seen his death a few times trying to find clips :( Thanks for this one!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

sexy_trash posted:

What mdae the Elks Lodge in Queens so great for ECW shows?
From what I can gather, it always had hot crowds, but if anyone can elaborate why that place was great to see old ECW shows, please elaborate!

Unfixed gas leak.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Wheres a good place to buy masks? I want to dress as a Luchador for Halloween. I don't trust ebay in this regard, a lot of them look to be poor quality or material.

Also, I'm trying to come up with a shirt related to Lucha that doesn't have a mask on it, seeing as the mask will be on my head. Any ideas?

Dress shirt, jacket optional (required).

Turtleneck sweater, jacket required.

Sideless tank top if you're uncultured.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

It's not but it is probatable to be a backseat mod. Mods?

You and Web Jew.0 are gonna be in a tag team match against Save Russian Jews and sportsgenius86 tonight

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

God Of Paradise posted:

Anyone seen Takeshi Miike's first movie? It's called A Human Murder Weapon, and it stars Megumi Kudo, Onita, and Combat Toyoda of FMW fame? I can't find it anywhere.

I have a bootleg VCD of this with no subs. I can look at it and pretend I understand Japanese, if that's cool.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
So I was watching some old lucha movies last night and I'm really digging the looks of this Tinieblas fella. I see he was a bodybuilder they hired specifically for his role. Was he any good in the ring? Does he have any really noteworthy matches that I should look into? Am I barking up the wrong tree by asking about lucha?

These questions also apply to Tinieblas, Jr.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Okay, one more Lucha question: Are there any big lucha "supercards" or huge events I should look into? The only Lucha event I know is Triplemania, which I've never seen in its entirety. Is there a particular year for Triplemania I should get started on? (the 1995 card on IVP looks pretty good so far)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LordPants posted:

First if you can find the Triple Mania with Konnan wrestling a loser leaves town match (The year before Jake where his opponent refused to do the job), and then the one against Jake when AAA was like, the third biggest promotion in the world or something crazy.

And then from that, look into When Worlds Collide, the famous US PPV that only Paul Heyman saw, apparently.

There is also CMLL but I don't know much about that.

This looks like a good couple of answers, thanks!

I am entirely too enthralled with lucha culture and fighting style for how little I actually watch the stuff.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MrBling posted:

I'm partial to the Owen Hart tribute match that Bret and Benoit had on Nitro when it comes to his great matches.

And yes, Blitzkrieg is totally awesome. His match with Juvi at Spring Stampede 1999 is kinda neat even if it seems like Juvi is being a dick on purpose, and he absolutely murders Blitzkrieg with a Juvidriver from the top turnbuckle.

edit: if you guys want I could put all his matches up on youtube. Maybe make a little WCW Luchadors thread with all the lesser known guys.

Offering a resounding "hell yes" for this. Maybe a general WCW's cool midcarders thread, since apparently some pretty good talent went underutilized there.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Bigass Moth posted:

When Misawa died, did the WWE acknowledge it at all? He never wrestled for them, but he was a big name who's death was directly linked to an in-ring accident.

iirc Punk wrote Misawa's name on his armbands and Yoshi Tatsu wore a copy of Misawa's tights

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

gfanikf posted:

I would love to see a reoccurrence or some evolution of the concept for a show on the WWE network...if it ever launches.

I hope that it comes back with different hosts every season so that there can be elitist internet flame wars about who the best hosts were

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Who's the ugliest man in the history of pro wrestling? I ask because I just reread the article where Bryan rates wrestling beards, and I can't think of anyone in wrestling uglier than Mad Dog Vachon.

Ladies are excused from this question because Jesus there's enough misogyny in wrestling as it is.

"The French Angel" Maurice Tillet

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Speaking of Santino, has anyone been able to find footage of any of his matches in Battlarts?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
'Medieval' and bamboo variants? I'm imagining crude iron folding chairs and ring bells made out of bamboo.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Has there ever been a Fencer gimmick in pro wrest.? I am pretty sure WWE never had one at least

I would cheer for a fencer who has decided to branch out and become the heavyweight professional wrestling champion of the world.

Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46duiLNlRI4&t=163s

MassRafTer posted:

There was Cryme Tyme.

Dang.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

This makes me wonder if there's any list of wrestlers who died while still active [and not because of drugs]. I was trying to figure out if Jerry Blackwell was still active when he died in a car accident. There must have been some prominent wrestlers who died by violence or in vehicle accidents. Magnum TA, Harley Race, and Danny Hodge all survived car accidents, and Ric Flair survived the plane crash that ended Johnny Valentine's career; that's just off the top of my head.

I think there's a distressing amount of Luchadores who got murdered while still active.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The arm-pinning motion of the heart punch is necessary to over-extend the pectoral muscles and allow unrestricted access to the thoracic cavity, and to incapacitate the opponent so as to prevent them from slipping, dodging, or otherwise nullifying the effects of the punch. Furthermore, supporting the upper body provides a solid striking surface, not unlike a karate black belt chopping a brick in two. :pseudo:

I swear, if you're not going to take our sport seriously...

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Justin Godscock posted:

I think we'll get it when Vince formally retires and gives the keys to Steph/HHH and finally kisses wrestling goodbye and after WWE changes under new management. I can see Vince as the kind of guy that goes "gently caress it, what do you want to know?" with old age and hires a biographer to write his book as a WWE publication. If Steve Jobs hired somebody to write an honest book that's not flattering to him at times because it's truthful then I can really see anyone with ultimate power in their company (or even industry at times) doing it (except for Trump).

assuming that Vince won't just walk away into the ocean when he retires

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

WeaponX posted:

Samoa Joe's got a posse dick painted on his face

On that note, is Samoa Joe the biggest case of wasted potential in wrestling? The only other ones I could think of are Magnum T.A. and maybe Nigel? But both of those are mostly health related. What about just complete misuse also?

Wasn't "the Red Rooster" Terry Taylor supposed to be pretty goddamn good before he became... y'know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tato posted:

Like the Seahawks could have just beaten up the 49ers right before the Super Bowl started, run onto the field and been allowed to legally compete.

I'm okay with this becoming a thing.