Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
It was entirely meaningless to both their careers but I find it funny that Tito Santana beat The Undertaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Herr Direktor posted:

Does anybody know of any good wrestling documentaries? I really like the behind the scenes stuff a lot more than the actual program. I've seen things like hitman heart and beyond the mat and enjoyed them.

There's an episode of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekend where he goes to the WCW Power Plant - that's a pretty fun doco for an outsider's perspective on wrestling.

Here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbf1jt9anM

Raven: Didn't you do any research before you started this endeavour?
Louis: No

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
That indy wrestler who has a day-job pairing socks where he passes his time 'thinking about wrestling' is so sweet.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Yeah, the comedy skits from 2000 & 2001 were fantastic. They had genuinely funny talent up and down the card.

But I'm told it was mostly due to a guy that no longer works for them and died of cancer :(

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Girlfriend has just sprung that she would love to go to Wrestlemania this year. We are in the UK. Anyone got any major dos/don'ts? I know the tickets will have to come through a reseller rather than a package, but am not sure what else I need to take into consideration.

Having recently flown from Australia to visit the States, my wife and I attended the TLC PPV. I'd recommend not skimping on the tickets and get whatever is the best available against your budget. Watching wrestling live, I think it really helps to be as close to the ring as possible. We were in the nosebleeds at the Barclay Center and while I enjoyed the show, it really was only about $50 per ticket more to get seats that were significantly closer to the ring which would've been worth it.

Otherwise you should know that in America they don't have urinal troughs in the toilet. They're always separated into individual urinals so sometimes there can be a line for the mens room which seems a bit inefficient to me.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Okay, I've got to know, what's the story behind this? I grew up watching in that era, and somehow managed to miss this entirely.

I've never seen this before either. So he wrestled whole matches with this thing on? Anyone got a link to a video?

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Was Zeb Coulter originally introduced as Jack Swagger's uncle? Was that a thing or did I just imagine that?

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Survivor Series 88 Main Event is one of my favourites involving Savage.

Also SummerSlam 88 for the Mega Powers vs Mega Bucks.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

sticklefifer posted:

That's exactly what it is.

From what I've heard, the hill even has a little hangout room in it. If the Buried Alive match wasn't last on the card, Taker or whoever would chill down there for the rest of the show with a chair, a TV, and drinks.

Now that I've learnt this, I wish we had a Buried Alive match where the side panel fell away revealing a relaxed Undertaker sitting on a couch, eating chips and watching his favourite show inside.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Given the type of crowds that attend Hall of Fame ceremonies, what are the chances that there are some chants about Bruiser Brody during Carlos Colon's induction?

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
I was given the most recent Macho Man Blu Ray as a Christmas gift and watched Savage vs Flair from September '92 where Flair wins the title back. It's the first time I've seen the match. It takes place shortly after Summerslam 92 and Savage is still selling an injured knee from Flair's chair attack.

My question is this: is that the one and only time Flair (or anyone) has won via a pinfall during a figure four leg lock? I don't think I've seen that finish in WWE before.

...also, is that Steve Austin appearing as a lumberjack during the Macho vs Hogan lumberjack match from '86? It sure looks like him but I didn't think he was in the company at the time.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Ghostpilot posted:

Who could forget the Hammer Jammer! :haw:

Royal Rumble 1990 is the first time someone busts out a sharpshooter on a WWF PPV right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Benne posted:

In light of the Charlotte/Paige controversy, I have a question: Has there ever been a time that using real-life events or a death in an angle drew money or got more eyeballs on the product?

Just off the top of my head: Sgt. Slaughter being an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War went over like a wet fart. Orton telling Mysterio that Eddie was in hell probably didn't get more PPV buys. Hassan's goons attacking Taker was a legendary miscalculation. And Punk dumping Paul Bearer's ashes over Taker definitely didn't move the needle because everyone already bought that show for Rock/Cena II.

I know there are way more of these incidents. Did any of those carny-rear end death/tragedy angles actually do good for business?

Didn't the first few Von Erich deaths get leveraged into big box office by Fritz?