Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Was heel J.R. as bad as they say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Not really a question so much but did this logo ever confuse anyone else?

For the longest time I had no idea it actually read WCW. I just thought it was some random design.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Better tag team title match that week: Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho (RAW 5/21/01) or TLC 3 (Smackdown 5/24/01)?

The Triple H mark in me could never favor the quad breaking match.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sportsgenius86 posted:

This might be a dumb question, but did The Undertaker and The Rock ever have a really big one-on-one match?

I can't recall one but I feel like it had to have happened at some point. I know there was a triple threat with them and Angle (I think), but I was just wondering if they ever had a heavily hyped one-on-one.

The only reason I bring this up is that Rock said something about being open to working with the WWE and a short program between the two of them would be a huge money match for Wrestlemania or something.

They fought in a singles match at NWO 2002. Not sure how the match was though. Oh and at KOTR 99 and I remember it being pretty good. I'll have to pull out my Tombstone DVD and find out.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 24, 2009

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

reality_groove posted:

I remember Jason Sensation being pulled out to commentary and HBK asking him to do impressions of various wrestlers, including Owen Hart. I believe Owen was in the ring at the time. However, this was probably the start of the angle and not his debut.

Not sure when the angle started, but I don't think it started here. There was the Nation impersonation first, and then this section you're thinking of. Jason was doing commentary with HBK and HBK asked him to do impressions and King kept bugging him to do Owen Hart. Eventually, The Nation was on the Titantron and Owen Hart said something about "Don't make me come out there and kick the crap out of that piss-ant!"

Next thing is that King asks him to do an impression of what Owen just said, and he does. Owen then comes down to the ring and proceeds to slap Jason, then drags him into the ring and applies the sharpshooter to him until DX comes out to save him. Jason sold the poo poo out of that sharpshooter. This was on Best of RAW Vol. 1.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Deranged Hermit posted:

Uh, try living with someone who has a ridiculous collection of them.

"Trainers, ambulances, EMT's..."
It's "Trainers, EMT's, Referees down"

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Minidust posted:

HBK used a section of "Rhapsody In Blue" as theme music right after the barber shop! He got the Sherri version of "Sexy Boy" soon afterward.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PfAH6eU14

Yes, but who else on the active WWE roster has had their music for longer than he has?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That didn't start until 1999, I believe.

Yeah, it was the 1999 Royal Rumble theme and after that the Corporation adopted it. Before that Vince had no theme.

What about Dibiase?

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2010

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
HHH has been using "The Game" for around 9 years or so. I know he got right around the first quad explosion. Also of note, Eric Bischoff's TNA theme is his old WCW theme.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

LividLiquid posted:

I don't think so, was it? His old music was the nWo Nitro theme, which was that music from the badass three-musician scene in Desperado. Did I stroke out when his new music played, 'cause it sounded totally different to me.

Bischoff on TNA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RR7X4QyusI#t=4m22s
Bischoff's WCW theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXOEmphorE

Maybe a slight difference there.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

crankdatbatman posted:

What's the GIF showing Maria making this really awkward grimace about (usually accompanied by some jab about how bad an actress she is)? I've seen it around here a lot, but I've tried to search around to figure it out myself but I haven't come up with anything. Also can someone post a link to the original video if possible?

Eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5ozU7efXE

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Supreme Allah posted:

He came back on a bike after nearly a year out during Judgement Day 2000 - The Rock/HHH Iron Man Match.

It was a great return - one of the loudest pops of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgMu2lXsas

The vignettes building up to the return were old school Undertaker though, with three little girls singing spooky rhymes and arena lights randomly going out.

Initially he wore a long black trenchcoat for a few weeks but gradually he transitioned to denim shirt and black jeans. He explained that he did that so the change wouldn't be so jarring.
Yeah, and it pissed me off. I had just started watching WWF in January 2000 and was stoked to see The 'Dead Man' Undertaker and do all of his evil stuff he was doing. I had no internet back then and had no idea he was set to return at Judgement Day. The Raw after that judgement day he came back on that motorcycle and I was pretty irritated.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

How did Goldberg debut in the WWE? I know he spears the Rock on Rock Appreciation Night, and that is his first appearance, but did they announce his arrival through vignettes, or did he appear earlier on that show. The crowd pretty much knows that he is coming, and Rock ignores their chants.

A video was shown the night before that Raw at Wrestlemania XIX confirming his signing so it was only a matter of time before he showed up.

Edit: Woops.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 28, 2010

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Where does the "Broke/ripped 6000 somethings and never drew a dime" thing come from? Who was it in reference to originally?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Why has WWE completely transformed most of their PPV lineup to just be "Name of Match?"

Were the old names just tired and old or has it had effect on the buyrates (for better or for worse)?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Been watching some old RAWs from around 2005 and noticed the announce team and location was changed. Was this to differentiate it from Smackdown or something else? I know JR had to go away for a while because of surgery, but why replace him with Coachman? Ugh.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

crankdatbatman posted:

When did the nWo actually end (in WCW, I know Vince had a speech about it when they killed it off in WWE)? Was there a match or some dramatic fall out, or did it just fade from existence? I'm not counting that lovely Jeff Jarrett Bret Hart version they started near the end of 99 either.

Nash had a quad injury in a tag match at the end of RAW. Next week, this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkLOtOjGpU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Jerusalem posted:

In defense of that stupid, wasteful storyline... DDP was only stalking Sara because he wanted to get a big reaction from Taker, in order to "make him famous".

Here's a question based on those recent compilations we've been watching of that period in WWE.... was the reason that they shifted all the WCW guys to heel when they'd been playing faces for the most part before then due to the deal for a television show falling through? And in turn, did the deal for the television show fall through because of how abysmal the Booker/Bagwell title match on Raw was? And in turn, can I now legitimately blame Buff Bagwell for everything that went wrong from 2001 on? Because I'm going to anyway, I'd just like to know it's got a legitimate basis.

Oh yeah, didn't they do that one-off one hour WCW RAW thing? THAT was supposed to turn into its own show? Wow.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Lone Rogue posted:

That doesn't make either guy look good.

My favourite HHH story was about where a bunch of wrestlers were at an airport. Mike Sanders was being used as a colour guy in HWA and there was talk of bringing him up to the WWE. He was shaking everyones hand and didn't see Triple H, who was sitting down with a leg injury. He got up, walked over to Sanders with his crutches and shook Sanders hand. When Trips sat back down, Raven leaned into Sanders and told him that was a kiss of death for him. A few weeks later, Sanders was released.
Wiki says differently:

Wiki posted:

With no plans to bring him up to the main roster due to an incident where Triple H introduced himself backstage and Sanders failed to respond with the proper etiquette, Sanders was released by the WWE on July 19, 2002, along with Jason Jett, Race Steele, Steve Bradley and Jason Sugarman.

Still a weird situation though.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

LightsGameraAction posted:

When did Taker's streak actually become "the streak"?

... and by that I mean both A.) When did fans start taking note of it, and B.) When did WWE start playing it up for Taker's mania feuds?

I don't remember it being a thing until maybe Wrestlemania 21 or 22. Can't remember which, but it was definitely talked about by the time 23 rolled around.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

joshtothemaxx posted:

Where is the best place to get video of specific wrestling episodes or segments from the past 10 years? Many are on youtube or dailymotion, but a whole lot are not. If this is :files: please ignore.
There are places

joshtothemaxx posted:

Where is the best place to get video of specific wrestling episodes or segments from the past 10 years? Many are on youtube or dailymotion, but a whole lot are not. If this is :files: please ignore.
Yeah, there are places to watch most old wrestling programming. I'd share a link but I don't know if it's against the rules or not.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

KungFu Grip posted:

Anything you happen to find on Youtube isn't :filez: , but I wouldn't post "Oh I uploaded this" or a whole PPV that's been on in the last few years. If it's a TV show it's all fine.

If it is in torrent or file form, then don't post in on the forums.

In this case, I should think this is okay:

For all of these, you can sort by year where it says "Sub Categories"

Full Episodes of Nitro (Missing 98-2000 for some reason)
Full Episodes of RAW
Full Episodes of SmackDown!
Full Episodes of Heat

All of these links posted mainly contain content that is likely unavailable in paid form, but if this is not cool go ahead remove them or whatever. I don't mean any harm by posting these.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Sue Denim posted:

Can someone explain this to me:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174112
It's a Nitro thread posed in the WCW thread, but I have the archives and the earliest topics I can seem to find are from 2007.

How long has this thread been around and why can't I find posts from before 2007 when it seems from this topic that the forum has been around before then?
Ladies and gents, there is no better way to prove how bad WCW was in its later years than this. Having someone mistake a parody thread as truth.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
This made me go rematch Austin's King of the Ring promo so thanks for whoever mentioned it. Still gives me chills.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
What's the deal with the non-Big Gold Belt WCW Title in the SmackDown games? What is this belt and when was it used?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I'd say Wrestlemania XIX, personally.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I always considered X-7 the signal of the end of the Attitude Era, with the nail in the coffin being X-8 and the change to WWE.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
So, I was watching this segment on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=ULeFyzfSPSYtA&v=eFyzfSPSYtA&feature=player_detailpage#t=514s

Despite this being a very stupid segment, was the first bike being ridden out a botch? I think I can hear someone saying "Wrong one, goddamn!" but I'm not sure.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

matrocious posted:

Since we're talking about Kurt Angle, what happened to him? I tuned out of wrestling 2000-ish and the last major thing I remember him doing was the milk truck incident. Everyone says he is borderline Benoit crazy.

TNA.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Wikipedia posted:

On May 7, 2000 WCW Slamboree 2000 was held at the Kemper Arena. This was two weeks short of one year after Owen Hart fell to his death in the same arena. The event featured a Ready to Rumble Cage match from which a high fall from it could be expected. After the match Chris Kanyon was thrown off the structure and WCW carried on as if he was paralyzed.

Please tell me WCW wasn't really that scummy.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Bob Orton has it though.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Was the XWF taped in what is now the Impact Zone?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Anyways, I actually have a question myself because it's something that I've been thinking about recently. One thing that 80s WWF wrestling fans tend to gush about is the 93,000 that was drawn at WM3 (and in my experience, use to explain that that era of WWF was the absolute peak of its popularity). Let's not get into the dispute over attendance numbers because that's another issue altogether. Do you think that late '90s WWF could have broken that number if they made a serious effort to? I notice that all Attitude Era WrestleManias (aside from WM17 which had an INSANE sell-out rate at the time) were held in indoor arenas that could only hold around 20,000 max-ed out. Do you think the WWF could have broken that 93,000 number if they made the effort to? And how could they have?

You see, all TNA needs is to book the silverdome, brother. Book Hogan there and they'll beat the WWE for sure!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

Byte This was awesome. They used to have the archives on WWE.com, wish I took advantage of it

Best part about Byte This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud75ZQVh04U

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Took me way too long (as in today) to realize that IWC means Internet Wrestling Community.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Solomonic posted:

I recently got the girlfriend into watching with me, and although she enjoys the current product, I find that a lot of the time I have to explain past angles, characters, etc (like the recent legend appearances). I don't think my explanations really do justice to a lot of this stuff, so I was wondering: is there a DVD of the Attitude Era stuff out? I searched around and found a couple Raw compilations from around the Invasion, but do you guys know if there's any other way to get some old-school programming?
Not through legal means. WWE is pretty bad at capitalizing on all of the back catalog content they have. Supposed to be what the "network" fixes.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I've looked but can't find any information about it. Did HHH really call out The Rock in early 99 for a title match? Was this at a house show or something?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MrBling posted:

Goldberg crashed the top of his head right into the ringpost once in a match against Kronik and rather than try and cover for it, as it would you expect ring veterans like them would do, they just stand around looking stupid while Goldberg is dazed in the ring.

But I can't really recall any actual major injuries.
Didn't Goldberg do that in the DDP Halloween Havoc match too? I recall watching a video where DDP explained that Goldberg was out on his feet and was going through the motions which caused him to do that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Well, if you had the chance to fight for that awesome looking belt, wouldn't you want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Quasipox posted:

When they announced Big Show as being in the WWE Champions only MITB, I couldn't remember his title runs for anything. I'd love if someone could do a quick summary of what happened. I looked at Wikipedia's list of WWE champions, but I can't really tell much from that.
The only one I remember is him winning it at Survivor Series 99, I think. I think he was the surprise entrant to replace Stone Cold, and won the title. I could be totally wrong though.