Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Earwicker posted:

There are still a lot of invite left through here:

http://www.facebook.com/Sprite#!/Sprite/posts/10150191406714159

A lot.
BTW guys, here's really no need to do the individual invites thing until this runs out. This is how I got my invite and it worked like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

strokevictim posted:

Been hit by this issue the past 2 days... anyone else?

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/_cant_play_the_current_track_loop_of_doom

"Can't play the current track" loop of DOOM
"Can't play the current track" keeps popping up when I should be getting advertisements"

Seems something is broken with the ads
Yeah I've run into that a lot lately, it's definitely been happening off and on since I started using Spotify though

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
The link for immediate free invites is in the OP, stop posting invite codes.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ryen Deckard posted:

Every single one of these has been used, thanks for posting saying "I've taken this" guys!
Thanks for reading the OP with an invite generator!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Drifter287 posted:

Wish granted?
This is working pretty well, thanks!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Earwicker posted:

Also, I've noticed lately that the ads are all just ads for the paid version of Spotify, rather than the ads for playlists and new albums from various bands and such. Which of course means that they are having big problems selling their ads.
I was just noticing today that I heard way more ads for artists (including a couple new ones), hopefully that's a good sign for their ad sales.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
None of them should be really given credit as being groundbreaking though (well, Grooveshark should be given credit for having a groundbreakingly stupid business concept to start with and then turning it around to something less stupid), the technical issues aren't really that big a deal compared to the issues of licensing (and it seems like that's still a constant battle)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

sweek0 posted:

The new preview version is great and I love being able to see what my friends are listening to right there in the app and I can listen to it as well. The next step would be to have a 'listen along with a friend' feature so I just hear whatever they choose to play.
What they really need (and I'm guessing someone is probably working on this as a Spotify App because it's pretty obvious) is something akin to turntable.fm, I would kill for that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Charlie Mopps posted:

I think the Soundrop app is supposed to become that.
Yeah, I'd noticed it though currently it's just like "listen to a playlist", right?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Project Lithium posted:

I'm really not opposed to paying the 10 dollars a month for the unlimited service or whatever it's called
Cool, sounds like you should pay for it rather than begging for (almost certainly illicit) ways of getting free service?

edit: also it looks like this is your first post since 2010. I don't think the forum really needs people who just come here to beg for poo poo, so gently caress off.

het fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Nice, the gaps have been kind of bugging me of late

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
So I tried the free month of premium offer so I could check out the iPhone app, but when I try playing an album, it just hangs after playing one track. It says it's starting the next but nothing happens and I have to go forward and back to get it to start playing again. Do other people have this problem?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Obviously nobody here knows and the answer is "probably not", since it's sort of in their interest to drive people to trending stuff or new features even if some people don't want that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
That's not really surprising to me, syncing the iPod via USB is sort of a separate animal from in-app-data syncing, I thought.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sqeetschy posted:

So, I just accidentally a way to log into any Spotify account without a password... big deal?
I would recommend taking some screenshots to prove it and reporting it to Spotify support.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Another Person posted:

Apart from the already posted issues with the new update, I also think that the new update's artist page is hellishly ugly. Their sudden jump from dark grey's to a bright dirty white is nothing if not jarring, especially since both shades are on screen at the same time, stressing the ugly combo. It looked nicer in the muted, dark colours.
I'm always reluctant to trash a new interface right away because people tend to react negatively to things they're unfamiliar with, but I have to agree that having the middle pane be light and the outer panes be dark seems just like an unquestionably bad decision. I don't really mind the top tracks thing and I definitely like the vertical ordering of related artists much better than the old way (though I wish it listed more).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Shifty Pony posted:

I also reported some serious artist fragmentation (Margot & the Nuclear So and So's are spread across four different names because of the "&" and "and" being arbitrary)
I was pretty excited to find out that on the new Ólafur Arnalds EP, he collaborates both with Ólafur Arnalds and Arnalds, Ólafur

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

invision posted:

Yeah I'm having this happen a whole lot right now. For instance, they deleted a lot of the Bon Iver discography. What the hell spotify?
Their licensing agreement probably expired for your region. I'm not sure why this happens so often, other than I guess Spotify doesn't have the leverage to lock up licensing rights for extended periods of time?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Superanos posted:

You can access both screens through the search bar regardless of feature rollout status.

Type spotify:app:home on the search bar and then press enter to get to What's New. For Discover, it's spotify:app:discover.
Good tip, thanks.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Friends Are Evil posted:

For what it's worth, my Discover app isn't half-bad. It's been recommending me a lot of Sacred Bones stuff and black metal.

It did, however, just recommend me Polvo because I listened to some harsh noise albums once. Polvo is not a band I'd describe as harsh noise at all. So there's that.
On multiple occasions it has recommended me Beth Ditto based on the fact that I listened to Florrie

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

It's so disappointing that they're still clinging to integer bitrates for conveying quality; I understand why they do it, but it's really aggravating because it just persists stupid beliefs about lossy audio encoding

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

me your dad posted:

Care to elaborate on this?
Everyone gets stuck on these perceptions of bitrates from like 10 years ago where they always refer to Average Bitrate or Constant Bitrate when anyone doing this seriously should be using VBR profiles (and I assume spotify is doing so behind the scenes but "-q 3" is less meaningful to people than "~160kbps")

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's difficult to actually get the subtlety across, I'm just sick of talking to people who express mp3 encoding quality in terms of 128/160/192/256/320

Earwicker posted:

Would he ever!
Hush you!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I came across a spotify... anomaly?

https://play.spotify.com/album/5OP9ptLXSLPOWw1hsP8Umd

What the hell is this? I thought at first it might be a joke but just listen to this. I can't find anything on the interwebs about what it might be.

edit - I hope the link works. If not, look up an album entitled "fight" by "Love Is All", not to be confused with the actual band Love is All despite them being filed together by Spotify for some reason.
I mean, iTunes has the same thing so it doesn't seem Spotify-specific. I don't know the band either way so I dunno what's off about this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fight/id807369962

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Earwicker posted:

I think the current moral is that a lot of us are enjoying it a lot less thanks to the recent update :mad:
Yeah, I mean I haven't been affected much by their interface changes, but it's obvious that Spotify has repeatedly disrupted their users' experience with little to no usability benefit. Like we'd see griping about changes no matter what, but Spotify really seems to go the extra mile in not actually providing what their customers want.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
So I have no idea when this happened but it looks like Spotify finally added the ability to have separate artists with the same name? At first I thought they'd removed the italo disco Kano but there's separate pages for them and the grime MC Kano. Of course there's still a million tracks on house comps still attributed to the grime Kano, but at least it's a start

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Imapanda posted:

lol if some of you seriously listen to and care about having over 15000 songs. Pretty sure the average human brain cant even remember like 1000 songs unless you're some musical hobbiest genius.
I'm finding it difficult to put into words how deeply stupid this post is.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I have the mac version and I have the import button. I'm .9.10.14.g578d350b though.
It's not uncommon for big services to roll out new updates to a random(ish) subset of users just to test for feedback before making it broadly available, I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify did the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MMD3 posted:

If this is something people are still interested in we could work on getting it started again. I have all of them added in my account and haven't seen a ton of activity as far as additions lately... I suppose the thread being archived would definitely explain that ;)
Yeah I mean feel free to restart that and link to the previous ones (except the lovely ones... :ninja:)

• Locked thread