Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Jay Dub posted:

Now, recommend me a movie for someone who's interested in war movies, but doesn't care much for all the standard war movie trappings (epic battle scenes; gung ho "US VS THEM" bravado, etc).

Edit: VVVVVVV That was actually the film I was thinking of when I typed this. It's an excellent movie, but are there any others like it?

If you liked Paths of Glory you will love Breaker Morant.

Someone recommend me a great period film along the lines of the Duelists or Barry Lyndon. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Starscream posted:

Undead -- Aussie zombie actioner. It's been awhile since I've seen this and all I really remember is a lot of guns and shooting. Maybe a quad-shotgun?

This is a loving terrible movie. I highly recommend it.

I've watched too many movies that made me think lately. I would enjoy watching some poo poo blow up and people get shot/stabbed/etc; logic and basic plot structure optional. Something like Crank.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

JediBlutarsky posted:

If you liked Paths of Glory you will love Breaker Morant.

Someone recommend me a great period film along the lines of the Duelists or Barry Lyndon. Please.

So are you looking for a period piece set during the same era as those films, or just a good period piece film all together?

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Macrame_God posted:

So are you looking for a period piece set during the same era as those films, or just a good period piece film all together?

A good period piece all together. I really enjoy movies like the 1968 version of Charge of the Light Brigade, Waterloo, etc. Films that show the costumers and production people know their poo poo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

Tape, with Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Robert Sean Leonard. Directed by Richard Linklater. 3 actors, 1 room, all dialogue, completely gripping.
Alternatively, Glengarry Glen Ross. Has unbelievable dialogue courtesy of David Mamet and phenomenal performances from Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, and Kevin Spacey. Insane cast of actors there. If memory serves, there are only two settings used in the entire movie - a bar, and an office. Can't recommend this movie enough.

I'm looking for claustorphobic thrillers in the vein of The Tenant, Rope, and to a lesser degree The Descent. Something where the tension ratchets higher and higher until you feel like puking, ideally without involving monsters ala The Descent. Difficulty: I've seen all Hitchcock and most Polanski

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 2, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

JediBlutarsky posted:

A good period piece all together. I really enjoy movies like the 1968 version of Charge of the Light Brigade, Waterloo, etc. Films that show the costumers and production people know their poo poo.

The first movie to come to mind is Once Upon A Time In America, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for. Regardless, it's a good movie.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Swiss Army Knife posted:

I've watched too many movies that made me think lately. I would enjoy watching some poo poo blow up and people get shot/stabbed/etc; logic and basic plot structure optional. Something like Crank.

Commando starring Schwarzenegger will not disappoint.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Swiss Army Knife posted:

You can't fail with Hard Boiled.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Shoot'Em Up, bonus of the flick is that it proves that Monica Belucci is still hot.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Not to bang on about it too much, but you should definitely check out McBain.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Hey. I'm looking for a recommendation. I'd like to see a good political/international/war (one or a combination of the three) action-thriller-drama along the lines of The Hunt for Red October, Sum of All Fears, or The Peacemaker, or someone trying to trying to take down a corrupt sector of the government or a major corporation like The International. Good action with a strong protagonist is a plus!

I think I've seen most of the Jack Ryan movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

You can't fail with Hard Boiled.

Alternately, if you want a movie with just as much action as Hard Boiled and about a third of the plot, there's A Better Tomorrow II.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

vandelay industries posted:

Hey. I'm looking for a recommendation. I'd like to see a good political/international/war (one or a combination of the three) action-thriller-drama along the lines of The Hunt for Red October, Sum of All Fears, or The Peacemaker, or someone trying to trying to take down a corrupt sector of the government or a major corporation like The International. Good action with a strong protagonist is a plus!

For "1 man vs. corrupt gov't /" style, The Parallax View is a classic that is an obvious products of Nixon's 70s when people were even more cynical about government then we are today. Heavier on the drama then the action, but nonetheless great. Enemy of the State is a bit less cerebral and more actiony, but is great fun.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 2, 2009

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Recommend me some good Apocalypse movies. I like anything from LAST NIGHT to MAD MAX to CHILDREN OF MEN. I haven't seen many older films (pre 1970s) that dealt with the end of the world, so any recommendations in that regard are very much appreciated!

mostlikelyme
Nov 8, 2006

by Peatpot

VorpalBunny posted:

Recommend me some good Apocalypse movies. I like anything from LAST NIGHT to MAD MAX to CHILDREN OF MEN. I haven't seen many older films (pre 1970s) that dealt with the end of the world, so any recommendations in that regard are very much appreciated!

Watch the BBC movie Threads. I believe you can find it all on Google video. It's incredible.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Swiss Army Knife posted:

You want some 80's action then. '85/'86 are best for this. Start with:

Death Wish III -- Charles Bronson moves to the projects and goes to war with a violent street gang. And the police. And anybody else who gets in his way. Balls to the wall action here. Rocket launchers, fifty cals, uzis -- all the 80's action hallmarks are here. Oh and Bill from Bill & Ted plays a punk here.

Invasion U.S.A. -- If the idea of Chuck Norris sporting a denim tuxedo and machine guns akimbo turns you on then this is the movie for you. I don't remember a plot, just killing.

Game of Death 2 -- This is a favourite of mine. It's absolutely ridiculous in terms of plot, costumes, dialogue and pretty much everything else. There are some fantastic fighting scenes though, oddly enough.

Blood of Heroes aka Salute of the Jugger -- This is another new favourite of mine. Brutal post-apocalyptic gem with Rutger Hauer playing some sort of football-like sport. Look for the uncut Aussie version 'Salute of the Jugger' for extra blood and guts!

The Protector -- Jackie Chan in an 80's american buddy-cop movie? With over-the-top violence and Danny Aiello? This is also the ONLY movie Jackie ever swore in.

Well, that's a start.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

mostlikelyme posted:

Watch the BBC movie Threads. I believe you can find it all on Google video. It's incredible.

Found it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488

loving hell! I am going to go home and hug my husband. And start digging a fallout shelter.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

VorpalBunny posted:

Doomsday is a great homage to/take on the genre and, as a fellow fan of apocalyptic action movies, I had a blast watching it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Recommend me film adaptations that parody or deconstruct their own source material. Think Starship Troopers.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Recommend me film adaptations that parody or deconstruct their own source material. Think Starship Troopers.
Adaptation. and Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

Bug starring Ashley Judd was strikingly good. It outdoes "The Shining" (Jack Nicholson version) in many ways. 99% of the movie takes place in a shabby motel room in Bumfuck desert, Nowhere, USA. Not to be confused with the man-eating roach movie from the 70s of the same name.

Its been a hell of a long time since I've seen it, but I think Papillon, the prison movie will fit the bill also.

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 3, 2009

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

vandelay industries posted:

Three Days of the Condor
The Osterman Weekend
Smilla's Sense of Snow
Executive Action

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

Damnation Alley(apocalyptic road trip movie)
The Omega Man (Vampires with white afros inherit the Earth!)
The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s version with Donald Sutherland)
The Day After

*edit: Adding in the audio version of the novel One Second After by William Forstchen, while not very well written, the premise scares the poo poo out of me. Its the story of a retired Army Colonel (now history teacher) living with his family in a Mayberry-like town in the hills of South Carolina. One afternoon, the US is attacked by enemies unknown using a massive EMP, delivered via a few high yield nuke missiles set off in the atmosphere above the country. All communications, power grids, and modern autos cease to function and civilization in America comes to an end as we know it. In the weeks that follow after nothing modern works anymore and people begin to starve, die off from lack of medication, rioting, looting, leading eventually to rape, mass murders and our fave, cannibalism! Avoid the paper version of the book, because its full of grammatical errors. The reader of the audio version does a great job to make up for it. Worth renting from your library, but not worth buying.

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 3, 2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

There are a couple segments of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams that, while short and essentially plot free, are pretty stark and depressing.

You can actually watch it on Youtube if you don't want to watch the whole movie

Mount Fuji in Red
The Weeping Demon
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Of course, watching clips on youtube is no substitute for the real thing

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

regulargonzalez posted:

For "1 man vs. corrupt gov't /" style, The Parallax View is a classic that is an obvious products of Nixon's 70s when people were even more cynical about government then we are today. Heavier on the drama then the action, but nonetheless great. Enemy of the State is a bit less cerebral and more actiony, but is great fun.

IceNiner posted:

Three Days of the Condor
The Osterman Weekend
Smilla's Sense of Snow
Executive Action

Ooo these all sound good. Thank you!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can anyone recommend me some good Journalism/Newsroom movies? Stuff like All the President's Men, Zodiac, Shattered Glass, and season five of 'The Wire.'

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Journalism/Newsroom movies? Stuff like All the President's Men, Zodiac, Shattered Glass, and season five of 'The Wire.'

I think Network goes without saying. Also Ace in the Hole. Sweet Smell of Success is one of my all-time favorites (but not really about journalism so much).

Some others:
Absence of Malice
Reds
Z
The Killing Fields
Good Night, and Good Luck
Broadcast News

On the lighter side:
His Girl Friday
Libeled Lady
Roman Holiday

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 3, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I think Network goes without saying. Also Ace in the Hole. Sweet Smell of Success is one of my all-time favorites (but not really about journalism so much).

Some others:
Absence of Malice
Reds
Z
The Killing Fields
Good Night, and Good Luck
Broadcast News

On the lighter side:
His Girl Friday
Libeled Lady
Roman Holiday

I've seen Z, Good Night and Good Luck, Broadcast News, and Roman Holiday (although clearly I'm due for a rewatch of that last one, since I forgot about the journalism element). I'll definitely need to watch the rest.

Somehow I've gone this long without seeing Network. It just always looked/sounded really preachy to me. But I love Sidney Lumet, so I really need to bite the bullet on that one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Somehow I've gone this long without seeing Network. It just always looked/sounded really preachy to me.

I don't think it's preachy at all. It's loving brilliant, go get it now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't think it's preachy at all. It's loving brilliant, go get it now.

Yeah, like I said, between 12 Angry Men and Dog Day Afternoon, Sidney Lumet's directed two of my favorite films ever, so I really owe him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

- Recommend movies for someone who likes clever, quick-witted movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, featuring blink-and-you'll-miss-it one liners and hilarious dry humour, but isn't necessarily classed as a comedy.

I absolutely love Lucky Number Slevin. It is a good movie and there is a lot in it to make you laugh but it isn't really a comedy.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

King Lur posted:

Its not a movie but a series on HBO that i got the first season from netflix. Its called In Treatment. It is basically a therapist and it follows like 5 different people's therapy. Not sure if that is your thing but the whole thing is pretty much dialogue. It took a little bit of time for me to get into it, but i ended up enjoying it when all was said and done. im a psychology major though so that may be why.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Elijah Snow posted:

-Recommend me movies that have intertwined but separate stories like Magnolia or Amores Perros, or movies that deal with alternate reality settings like eXistenZ and Vanilla Sky. Not a big fan of action movies though Total Recall was fun to watch.

have you seen Crash? it has a few stories that end up entertwining. i found it to be a good movie.

also, sorry for the three posts in a row...i just kept thinking of movies as i was going through these questions.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

I absolutely love Lucky Number Slevin. It is a good movie and there is a lot in it to make you laugh but it isn't really a comedy.

Definitely seconding this, the movie is exactly what you're looking for.

Snatch. and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels should also be on your list, but you've probably seen them.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Yeah, like I said, between 12 Angry Men and Dog Day Afternoon, Sidney Lumet's directed two of my favorite films ever, so I really owe him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Definitely. Also, Ace in the Hole is loving fantastic, to second FFD's recommendation. Billy Wilder directs Kirk Douglas, and it's so cynical it makes Sunset Boulevard look positively happy in comparison.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ClydeUmney posted:

Definitely. Also, Ace in the Hole is loving fantastic, to second FFD's recommendation. Billy Wilder directs Kirk Douglas, and it's so cynical it makes Sunset Boulevard look positively happy in comparison.

Nice, I've been on a big Billy Wilder kick lately (The Apartment is another one of those movies I somehow never got around to seeing 'til last night), so I'll definitely have to check that one out.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

King Lur posted:

I just saw My Breakfast with Blassie with Andy Kauffman and it's pretty good. It's an hour long and it's on Youtube.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

The Insider, about 60 Minutes' interview with a tobacco whistle blower. One of my favorite movies ever. Starring Russell Crowe and a relatively subdued Al Pacino.

Herr Roboto
Jul 20, 2006

by Ozma
Recommend me animation movies, like Fantastic Planet (1973), Gandahar (1988) or Skywhales (1983). Are there more like them?
Parts of Heavy Metal fall into the same category. Only saw parts of Wizards, but didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Herr Roboto posted:

Recommend me animation movies, like Fantastic Planet (1973), Gandahar (1988) or Skywhales (1983). Are there more like them?
Parts of Heavy Metal fall into the same category. Only saw parts of Wizards, but didn't like it.

Yellow Submarine
A Scanner Darkly

edit:
Memories (anime short stories with surreal Heavy Metal magazine-like stories. Not the usual ninjas, vampires, or samurai kinda stuff.
The Plague Dogs
Watership Down

further edit:
When the wind blows: A very dark depressing feature about a happy and friendly English couple trying to survive in the remains of their cottage after a massive nuclear war (it takes place in the 60s). If I remember correctly David Bowie did the music for this picture.

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 8, 2009

• Locked thread