Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

timeandtide posted:

What some great documentaries on sociological, philosophical, or politically related topics? I've seen the whole Power of Nightmares/Century of the Self/The Trap trilogy, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices, Trinity & Beyond, and I think that's about it.

I know it's a broad range of topics, but I've seen very few documentaries so I'd like to change that

You might like Manda Bala ("Send a Bullet"), which is a documentary about ransom-taking and corruption in Brazil. Interviews include a hostage-taker (masked), a former hostage (who had her ears cut off), a plastic surgeon (who rebuilds ears from rib cartilage), etc.

Recommend me some noirish gangster films like Le Samourai, Rififi, and The Red Circle (not necessarily French or vintage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for movies with quite a heavy focus on dialogue. They don't necessarily have to be entirely dialogue without much action (although I did enjoy 12 Angry Men). I suppose Pulp Fiction would be the best example because of the exchanges between the characters, Reservoir Dogs is another example too.

anything by neil labute or david mamet, eg in the company of men, your friends and neighbors, the spanish prisoner, or house of games

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Looking for films that have an awesome, fictional movie-within-a-movie like Angels With Filthy Souls in Home Alone or the "I'd buy that for a dollar!" show in Robocop. Bonus points if it's actually tied into the plot, like the trailers in Tropic Thunder or the movie version of In The Mouth of Madness in, well, In The Mouth of Madness.

Also obvious: Pleasantville and The Truman Show

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

Regression posted:

What are some good/great/classic movies that have loneliness as a theme? Nothing really comes to my mind, but I'm sure there must be plenty.

Cast Away probably qualifies

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

lindramine posted:

I'm looking for some good (for me) vampire movies. So many that I've watched just don't hit the right tone and I'm left disappointed. I really want to see movies where the vampires are not the "bad guys" in a monster sense -- i.e., they can be bad in human ways, such as being greedy, selfish, etc., but not just pure scary monsters. I am fine with some violence/gore, as long as it's not too intense or take up too much of the movie. (For instance, the small gross parts in The Lost Boys or Let the Right One In didn't put me off, but Daybreakers was too gross for me.) A movie that did a better job with the "vampire society" thing that features in Daybreakers would be awesome as well.

how about Near Dark

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

Mock the Cross posted:

I'm looking for period movies that take place in the nineteenth century, roughly. Good examples of what I'm looking for are The Illusionist, The Prestige, Sherlock Holmes (hey, it was a fun movie!), Dorian Gray, The Wolfman (which I cant wait to see) and so on.

I am completely in love with this setting and would greatly appreciate any recommendations of great films that take place in it.

The Dead (ok, it's 1904)

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006
perhaps someone can recommend some movies with unsympathetic protagonists, such as The Player, Bad Lieutenant (and the New Orleans version), Open Your Eyes, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Ace in the Hole, Downfall, I Stand Alone, etc.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

After seeing Dorothy Mills, I'm looking for movies that capture that feel of community hostility towards a stranger.
In the Heat of the Night

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I'm looking for films that explore a kind of inability to relate or connect with the world around you. Films like Slacker, Broken Flowers and Me & You & Everyone We Know really connect with me, so I suppose the whole indie thing seems to click with me.

Red Desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Could someone recommend me something for what book-people call "hard science" fiction please? Movies in which space does not transmit sound, everything is slow and difficult, instead of jumping from galaxy to galaxy. I am thinking of 2001, possibly without the psychedelic aspect of it (and, if possible, without space battles). That would be neat.

\/ Okay, I'll try both of those. Thanks!

\/² Another great recommendation. Thanks!

apollo 13 and the right stuff, although obviously not so much fiction

• Locked thread