Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I tried to watch House of the Dead a while back but it was just too awful to finish.

Try the sequel, it's twice the movie Boll's cinematic abortion could ever hope to be, which means it's still barely watchable but it's got some good zombie action.

Other zombie actioners:
Alone in the Dark -- Fat Steven Seagal takes on hordes of intelligent mutant zombievampirethings in this laughfest.

Undead -- Aussie zombie actioner. It's been awhile since I've seen this and all I really remember is a lot of guns and shooting. Maybe a quad-shotgun?

Versus -- Jaw-dropping japanese action. Time-travellers and yakuza fight eachother and kill off any yakuza zombies they stumble across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Swiss Army Knife posted:

This is a loving terrible movie. I highly recommend it.

I've watched too many movies that made me think lately. I would enjoy watching some poo poo blow up and people get shot/stabbed/etc; logic and basic plot structure optional. Something like Crank.

You want some 80's action then. '85/'86 are best for this. Start with:

Death Wish III -- Charles Bronson moves to the projects and goes to war with a violent street gang. And the police. And anybody else who gets in his way. Balls to the wall action here. Rocket launchers, fifty cals, uzis -- all the 80's action hallmarks are here. Oh and Bill from Bill & Ted plays a punk here.

Invasion U.S.A. -- If the idea of Chuck Norris sporting a denim tuxedo and machine guns akimbo turns you on then this is the movie for you. I don't remember a plot, just killing.

Game of Death 2 -- This is a favourite of mine. It's absolutely ridiculous in terms of plot, costumes, dialogue and pretty much everything else. There are some fantastic fighting scenes though, oddly enough.

Blood of Heroes aka Salute of the Jugger -- This is another new favourite of mine. Brutal post-apocalyptic gem with Rutger Hauer playing some sort of football-like sport. Look for the uncut Aussie version 'Salute of the Jugger' for extra blood and guts!

The Protector -- Jackie Chan in an 80's american buddy-cop movie? With over-the-top violence and Danny Aiello? This is also the ONLY movie Jackie ever swore in.

Well, that's a start.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

IceNiner posted:

A Scanner Darkly

And from the same director: Waking Life, which I prefer slightly.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm looking for good ghost story movies, preferably quite gothic. This is for Halloween with my girlfriend. I'd prefer a ghost story over a horror film that wasn't a ghost film, but that could work too, especially if it's a period piece (because I love those).

The movie you're looking for is called Kill Baby, Kill by Mario Bava (1966).

Ghost story? Check.
Gothic? Check. Regarded as one of the best gothic horrors of all time.
Period? Check.

You could also go with Mario Bava's Black Sunday (1960) which is my personal favourite in gothic horror, though it's about Vampires rather than Ghosts.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

IceNiner posted:

I'm looking for some of those lesser known type of road trip movies in which a group of folks, a family, or a couple breakdown or are forced to stop over in those weird not-quite-right type small towns with a hideous secret/conspiracy going on with the entirety of the townsfolk in on it. Along the lines of "Breakdown" with Kurt Russel or "Race with the Devil".

How about Herschell Gordon Lewis' "Two Thousand Maniacs!"? I've always thought of it as the birth of survival-horror.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

oceanside posted:

I'm feeling like some mindless violence right now. What are some movies with slick, cool and calculated assassins? In the vein of Leon and Lucky Number Slevin.

There's a pretty ridiculous actioner by name of "The Tournament" that just came out. It's a good fun time-waster that taught me that Hitmen have terrible fashion sense. Stars Robert Carlyle, Ving Rhames and Kelly Hu.

Summary:
Every seven years in an unsuspecting town, The Tournament takes place. A battle royale between 30 of the world's deadliest assassins. The last man standing receiving the $10,000,000 cash prize and the title of Worlds No 1, which itself carries the legendary million dollar a bullet price tag.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Mung Dynasty posted:

Coincidentally, I rented this a few days ago because I remember it seeming really cool when it was first released, but totally forgot about it until I was reminded about it when browsing. Haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll hopefully get a chance to watch this and some of the other suggestions tonight.

Thanks, guys.

If you liked Ghost Dog you should definitely check out the two films that were a major influence on it: Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill and J.P. Melville's Le Samourai, especially the latter as Alain Delon is the very definition of cool.

Also the term "badass male lead" brings two people immediately to mind: Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin. You've gotta see Marvin try to collect his money in Point Blank.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

A Futbol Injustice posted:

OK, here's an odd request. My buddy and I have been engaged in a Persona-lite battle of wills and I need to gain the upper hand. He loves horror, but he's also a film snob, and each recommendation I come up with ends up having one deep, unyielding flaw. Help me remember great, little-seen horror films from the past few years. I showed him All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (although its flaws are glaring to a budding filmmaker such as himself) and I will be showing him Martyrs and Antichrist, but beyond that, I'm stumped. Help, CineD!

P.S. He's already seen Inside, High Tension, Audition, etc. In fact, anything Asian is out because he definitely has seen more Asian horror than I have.

I Sell the Dead flew under most people's radar and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's flawed sure, but the filmmakers' hearts were in the right place and that counts for a lot.

In my opinion, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon was the best thing to happen to the slasher genre in years. It didn't exactly win everyone over but every true horror fan I've met has loved it.

Fido was fun and interesting and definitely not a waste of time. I wasn't as enthralled with it as some were, but it's a good film on it's own and puts a neat new twist on the rotting carcass that is the Zombie genre.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Xinlum posted:

I just signed up for Netflix today. After rating some movies it suggested Drunken Master starring a young Jackie Chan. I really liked it and want to watch some similar old school kung fu films. Anything like Drunken Master or the much more recent Kung Fu Hustle is the type of film I'm looking for.

Having seen all of Jackie Chan's films (with the exception of some of his recent Hollywood dreck) I count myself as something of an expert. That being said Jackie had three phases in his pre-Hollywood career, those being:

1) Jackie Chan in the 70's
My favourite period of his. Must see films include The Young Master, Hand of Death, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and The Fearless Hyena. Try to avoid anything Jackie did with director Wei Lo.

2) Jackie, Sammo and Biao Yuen: The Three Dragons
IMO Jackie was at his best when he was teamed up with his Peking Opera Schoolmates Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao throughout the 80's. I highly recommend the following: Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever and the Project A films. Jackie also did some of his best solo work in the 80's including Police Story 1 and 2, Miracles, Crime Story and the Armour of God films.

3) Jackie Chan in America
These are not the best of his filmography but there are some classics here and there in this most recent era. Look for Rumble in the Bronx, Who Am I? and even Mr. Nice Guy.

That should do you for awhile. If you enjoy those and want to dig deeper you probably will be happy with just about anything made between 1974 and 1998. Enjoy!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

oceanside posted:

Oh drat, I should have included that on my list. I watched it back before summer. Was a really good film, just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

Haven't seen any of these, going to check out Giallo now. Thanks a lot!

Here's our Giallo Primer.

As LtKenFrankenstein said, Argento's newest film Giallo (2009) is only worth the 90 minutes to Argento completionists. If nothing else, save it for last.

My picks of the genre are Argento's Profondo Rosso, Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre and Opera. Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace and Lucio Fulci's New York Ripper (the grimiest movie Abel Ferrara never directed!)

Starscream fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 30, 2010

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Sewer Cartographer posted:

I've always liked the atmosphere of movies set in 70's New York after dark.
Taxi Driver and The Warriors come to mind.
Are there any other movies you can recommend that have that same kind of feel to it?

King of New York is a must-see, it's quite possibly Christopher Walken's best role.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've seen the most recent restoration of Metropolis, M, and Die Nibelungen; where should I go from there with Fritz Lang's films?

Dr. Mabuse the Gambler and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse would make a good starting point. Another silent classic is 1921's Destiny.

From there I would go into Lang's noir work such as Man Hunt, Scarlet Street and The Big Heat.

vv Those too! Though I haven't seen Spies or WitW yet.

Starscream fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 26, 2010

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Elijya posted:

I just watched Exam and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was thinking of some elements it had in common with a few other movies I've enjoyed, such as The Man From Earth, Moon, Sunshine, and Cube: All have small casts in small locations over a small period of time, have some sci-fi element to them and almost exclusively deal with a single premise through the film, exploring many sides to it rather than having subplots. To a certain degree a few other films may fall under this, such as Dawn of the Dead, Event Horizon, 300 (minus the scenes not from the book) although they're a bit bigger and have a few more locations. In most cases there's a mystery or a conclusion you clearly feel they're headed towards, and the cast may be picked off one by one (elements which admittedly reduce the value of rewatching it)

I have no interest in Devil, and I've always heard the cube sequels sucked. But can anyone name anything similar?

Malefique is a french thriller about four cellmates that some have described as Lovecraftian.

Primer is generally about two engineering students who kinda sorta figure out time travel. Very heady sci-fi babble in this one, it might require a rewatch or two.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

animal drums posted:

hey, anyone know some good horror i can watch? i love getting baked and watching a good horror movie but i need more titles that aren't overly retarded. i just watched the house of the devil and rare exports, and they were excellent so i'd like some more in that vein.

for reference, i also enjoy really visually striking horror like cronos or the more horror-like segments of pan's labrynth.

anyone have any recs?

Horror Primer

Suspenseful horror

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

SMP posted:

I've never actually seen a real b-movie, so I'll check em out.

I really enjoyed Galaxy of Terror and have been meaning to check out the new Blu-Ray. James Cameron did production design so some of it resembles his work on Aliens, only scaled down to a Roger Cormanesque budgetary level. I also got a kick out of the cast including Robert Englund (Freddy from the old Nightmare on Elm Streets) fighting an evil clone of himself a la Army of Darkness and Sid Haig (Captain Spaulding from Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses) as an overgrown, emotional space ninja.

Definitely one of my favourite 80's sci-fi b-movies.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

the Bunt posted:

I love Big Trouble in Little China a LOT. I love the irreverence, and also the concept of a secret underground network of bad guys doing bad poo poo.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension will be right up your alley.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Voodoofly posted:

Aki Kaurismaki: Haven't seen any of his films, leaning towards The Man Without a Past.

My first was Leningrad Cowboys Go America, which was an absolute blast. It's a lot more upbeat than most of his other works but that weird Finnish humor is there all the way through.

I still have yet to explore the Eclipse set I bought ages ago... :/

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Drewsky posted:

I've seen most of these, and actually enjoy them. They're actually good action movies. But Commando was just insane, and I was looking for more stuff like that. Just stupid as all hell action movies.

There was something about 1985 that caused all the epic one-man-army action movies to be produced. Arnie's Commando is the most famous, but I'm also a big fan of Charlie Bronson's Death Wish 3, in which he takes on an entire L.A. gang! And If you like the idea of Chuck Norris in a denim tuxedo sporting Uzi's akimbo than you NEED to see Invasion U.S.A. Rambo 2 deserves a mention as well as a stupid as hell action movie.

Another good one, though hard to find, is Rutger Hauer in Salute of the Jugger (aka The Blood of Heroes) in which he and his team wander the post-apocalypse engaging locals in a violent and bloody sport resembling football, but with weapons!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Strontosaurus posted:

What are some cool scary movies about the ocean? The deeper the better. Things like Sphere, The Abyss, or Deep Rising.

Check out 1990's The Rift, it's not the greatest movie but it had a cool story (later heavily borrowed from by Event Horizon) and some good actors in Ray Wise and R. Lee Ermey.

Below should be right up your alley too.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There's a sequel to Cast a Deadly Spell called Witch Hunt, which replaced Fred Ward with Dennis Hopper and moved the setting to the '50s. They were both made for HBO (before the Sopranos/Six Feet Under renaissance), and aren't available through any legitimate means that I know of. I've always wanted to see them both.

Cast a Deadly Spell is very good. The effects are decent for an early 90's made-for-TV film and the cast is full of great character actors; Clancy Brown, David Warner, Julianne Moore and Fred Ward. Just don't go into it expecting an "H.P. Lovecraft movie".

Witch Hunt, on the other hand, was pretty terrible. Dennis Hopper mails it in and everything about the film just screams MID 90's!!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

BIZORT posted:

I feel like I'm running out of films that looked interesting by their Netflix descriptions and would like some recommendations if anyone has some. I love dark comedies, insular films, sometimes depressing, anything involving counterculture, and drugs don't hurt. Some favorites of mine:

World's Greatest Dad
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (seen all of Kaufman's work)
Easy Rider
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (my favorite bad movie of all time)
Happiness (seen all of Todd Solondz's stuff and love it all except for Welcome to the Dollhouse)
Lost in Translation
Into the Wild
Black Swan

Thanks!

In Bruges has everything you want except the counterculture. But there's a midget!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Kontradaz posted:

Any movies dealing with mental issues and the relationship between the doctor and the patient? Movies in the vein of "Stay"? And, while I'm at it, what about films similar to "The Lives of Others". That is, films dealing with characters facing emotional/moral conflicts (Schindler's List is another good example.)

What About Bob?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Jonny Angel posted:

Looking for some good horror films, but for some reason I'm not really big on a lot of the genre's greats. The classics from a few decades ago (Exorcist, original Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) don't really hold up for me for some reason, and campier/more comedic things like Drag Me To Hell also aren't my bag. Two that I have enjoyed in recent memory were Paranormal Activity and [REC], so I guess if there are any other good faux-documentary horror films those might be up my alley. But that style isn't really necessary: mainly looking for something that's recent and has a pretty serious tone. And is good, of course.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon should be right up your alley.

"The next great psycho horror slasher has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo, all the while deconstructing the conventions and archetypes of the horror genre for them."

One of my favourites!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

WeaponX posted:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has gotten me in the mood for a real taut spy/political thriller. Something along the lines of Munich or even something more political like Manchurian Candidate

If you don't mind foreign language, Z is possibly the best political thriller out there.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Snitch posted:

Just got done watching The Negotiator and The Kill Point and was looking for something along the same lines, anything heist/hostagey..

Heist films:

The Asphalt Jungle
The Killing
Rififi
Bob le Flambeur
Le Cercle Rouge
The Silent Partner
Honor Among Thieves
Thief

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

RollingBoBo posted:

What are some good war movies? I've only seen like apocalpyse now (probably my favorite movie) and the deer hunter.

World War I
Paths of Glory
All Quiet on the Western Front
The African Queen :D
The Grand Illusion
Johnny Got His Gun
Sergeant York (Forrest Gump before Forrest Gump)
Gallipoli

World War II
Das Boot
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
The Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Attack
Patton
Kanal
The Great Escape
The Big Red One
Tora! Tora! Tora!
A Bridge Too Far
The Guns of Navarone
Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino)
Inglorious Bastards (1978, Castellari)
Cross of Iron
Hell in the Pacific

Vietnam War
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Rescue Dawn

Civil War
Glory
Ken Burns' The Civil War
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Modern Conflicts
Black Hawk Down
The Hurt Locker
Standard Operating Procedure
The Messenger
Restrepo
No End in Sight

Foreign Civil Wars
Zulu
Duck, You Sucker
Salvador
The Battle of Algiers

Hope that helps, you weren't very specific.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

csidle posted:

Everyone's talking about how Drive is a throwback to the atmosphere and mood of 80's movies. What movies from that period could I watch for something similiar?

When I first saw the trailers I thought it was a remake of a late 70's film I kinda like called (unsurprisingly) The Driver

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Ramadu posted:

I'm looking for some pot-apocalyptic themed movies for my brothers party that he's throwing. I've got the Mad Max stuff and A Boy and His Dog but I am drawing a complete blank on other movies of that style. Can you goons recommend me some other good ones?

Akira
The Book of Eli
Doomsday
Planet of the Apes

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Ramadu posted:

Those are all great films, but the impression I got from my brother is that he was looking a lot more along the lines of the Mad Max style of film. I did grab the Road and a few others from your lists. If that helps to narrow down some I'd really appreciate any help.

Maybe dystopia instead of post-apocalyptic then...

Children of Men
12 Monkeys
Equilibrium
Death Race 2000

Or some ozploitation...

The Man From Hong Kong
Turkey Shoot aka Escape 2000
Stone

or Mad Max ripoffs of the late 80's...

Hell Comes to Frogtown
The New Barbarians
2019: After the Fall of New York
Warrior of the Lost World

Starscream fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 4, 2012

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Death Wish 3, Telefon, 10 to Midnight kicks loving rear end and the excellent "Bronson", about the famous British criminal, Charles Bronson.

10 to Midnight kicks rear end, the killer reminds me a lot of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho.

In addition to the recommendations already made, I'm a big fan of Death Hunt, in which Chuck, Lee Marvin and Apollo Creed run around in the north Canadian wilderness being badasses!

Death Wish 3 is my favourite sequel in the series, it's classic mid-80's cartoonish violence, over the top/one man army type movie.

Violent City is a great American mafia movie with a killer Ennio Morricone score.

Chato's Land is an underrated early 70's western with Jack Palance and an ice-cold Charles Bronson.

To be quite honest, most of Bronson's output in the 70's is very strong stuff. The White Buffalo, Rider on the Rain, St. Ives and Red Sun (with Toshiro Mifune and Alain Delon) are all worth a watch too.

Avoid pretty much everything post-1985, aside from The Indian Runner.

I loves me some Charlie Bronson!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Xandoom posted:

Reccomendations for fantasy sword-and-sorcery flicks? Think Conan the Barbarian.

The first two films in the Deathstalker series are great fun, the last two are definitely skippable though.

Most of the Sinbad films are enjoyable, my favourite being the cheesy-as-hell Sinbad of the Seven Seas. There's a trailer for a newish Sinbad film up on Apple's website and it looks pretty fun.

Anything Ray Harryhausen had a hand in is worth a watch; the Sinbad films of the 60's, Clash of the Titans (1981), Jason and the Argonauts etc.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm looking for anything with a martial arts tournament like at the beginning of Master of the Flying Guillotine, preferably from around that time.

Heroes of the East sort of fits. It's also an incredible kung fu flick in it's own right!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Greycious posted:

I'm looking for fantasy/drama/adventure movies with well-made creatures and/or immersible 'worlds'

Along the lines of Avatar and Pan's labyrinth creatures

Hellboy 1 and 2
Spirited Away or really any other Miyazaki
Dark Crystal
Labyrinth

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Red Garland posted:

Now that I think of it, I guess I could always return to it if I like Felini enough to watch more. So Ii'll start with 8.

Another question - same one but this time with Jean Luc Godart, please.

I would urge you instead to start with La Strada, it's a lot more fun and less heavy than 8 1/2. If I cannot persuade you then I would urge you to watch both to get more of an understanding of the director's range.

As for Godard, Breathless is the obvious starting point and then work your way chronologically through his 60's output.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Twin Cinema posted:

I am just gonna repost my post from the Gimme Blood thread. Like most of you, I feel like I have seen everything, and I struggle to find older horror films that I haven't seen. I am looking for anything from the late-70s until the early-90s. So, pretty much, can people recommend something that fills the requirements of either being so bad it's good, or just sorta dumb but still entertaining? I am just wondering if anything has escaped my attention.

Have you seen any of Paul Naschy's stuff? Any of his Waldemar Daninsk/Werewolf movies are gold and a good place to start.

Aside from that look up the films of Larry Cohen, Bill Lustig, Frank Hennenlotter and the like. Dig deep into Lucio Fulci's filmography too and you'll find some oddball stuff (ie The Sweet House of Horrors).

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Sandwich Bender posted:

My next request is much easier, but it looks like it's been covered pretty extensively in this thread: Creepy isolated horror. Spaceships are choice, but boats work as well. I've seen all the Aliens, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Moon, Pandorum, Ghost Ship, The Thing, Triangle, a ton of poo poo. I already have The Abyss and Below on my list to check out.

If you can find it, check out The Rift. It's pretty much Event Horizon under the sea! Low budget but a great cast.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Twin Cinema posted:

I have surprisingly never heard of Naschy, but those look interesting. As for Cohen, I haven't really heard of any of his other films (other than 'God Told Me To') outside of 'The Stuff,' so any recommendations? I have seen both 'Maniac' and 'Maniac Cop' from Lustig, but I wasn't a huge fan of the latter to watch the sequels. I really want to find a copy of 'Uncle Sam', though, for nostalgia purposes. And, I love Hennenlotter, as the 'Basket Case' series is probably one of my all-time favourite horror franchises. 'Brain Damage' is good as well. Finally, good call on the Fulci, because he's a director that I could probably stand to rewatch some of his films, as well as explore what feels like his millions of directed films.

e: I also watched the previous suggestion of 'Slugs,' and other than a clunky last 1/4 of the film, it was pretty much exactly what I wanted previously. Good job!

Yeah definitely watch as much Naschy as you can find, it's very atypical 70's eurohorror but Paul Naschy has such a screen presence that he alone makes even the flimsiest films entirely watchable. Like I said, his werewolf movies are his best, but other gems like Hunchback of the Morgue, The People Who Own the Dark and Inquisition should be treated as must see as well.

For Larry Cohen, check out the It's Alive trilogy and Q: The Winged Serpent for some New York City insanity!

And yeah, it seems like Fulci has a hundred plus films under his belt but it's probably only half of that. I should do a Fulci marathon for my girlfriend and roommate and rewatch some of his classics. I'm sure you've seen all the big ones so I'll throw out another recommendation for The Sweet House of Horrors, Manhattan Baby and my personal fave The New York Ripper. Oooh ooh and, despite the fact that it's not horror per se, I think everyone should watch Fulci's Conquest which is just batshit insane!

Edit: and this too!
Edit 2: Cheap and disgusting, yet strangely endearing!

Starscream fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 24, 2013

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Twin Cinema posted:

I figured I would reply to this, since you have been really helpful. I finally have copies of "The Sweet House of Horrors," and "Q: The Winged Serpent," but I am unsure if I should watch them by myself, or wait until I can get a group of friends (which isn't difficult, just have to wait a few more days). I am still looking for Naschy, but the more I read, it looks like someone I will really enjoy.

As for the last two films you posted, I have seen both. They were great. However, whatever you do, don't watch the sequel to Slime City (called Slim City Massacre), because it was so, so bad.

Watch the Fulci flick by yourself, subbed if possible as the English dub is unfortunately hilarious. Definitely watch Q with friends of similar taste as it's just a lot of fun.

There are a few deals on Naschy flicks online: B&N has a Blu-Ray of 2 of his films, used or Amazon also has a few used titles, including a 5 film boxset and a sweet copy of People Who Own the Dark.

I'm fortunate to have a cult/horror movie rental place near me where I find a LOT of great stuff. Big ups to Kevin at The Lobby

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

fenix down posted:

Both of Skwirl's recs are great. And if you haven't seen them there's always Bringing Up Baby, Some Like it Hot, The Lady Eve, The Apartment, The Awful Truth, Adam's Rib, or Arsenic and Old Lace.

Great reccos!

Definitely target Howard Hawks: Bringing Up Baby, Ball of Fire, His Girl Friday and Man's Favorite Sport?

and Billy Wilder: The Apartment and The Fortune Cookie

and Frank Capra for some light-heartedness: You Can't Take it With You and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town spring to mind.

For what it's worth, Arsenic and Old Lace is perhaps the funniest movie I've ever seen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

Anyways, I'm kind of dealing with an on-going family situation right now and there are some nights where I want to come home and watch something really, really dumb (as in a comedy) and perhaps with a little absurdity to relieve some of the anxiety I am feeling to be able to function the next day. It being a great comedy doesn't matter, just something so stupid you just laugh. I've watched Dumb and Dumber and Dirty Work to get that fix to give an idea of what I'm looking for.

I never thought I'd recommend this, but, Dude, Where's my Car? fits the bill perfectly.

On a more modern scale I'd say Idiocracy (which is awesome!)

• Locked thread