Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.
The Killing Room. It's interesting if you're interested in psychological experiments, even if it's not very accurate (or good). Still, it's a lot of fun and the ending is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Recommend me spooky/tense/disturbing/bizarre/insane horror, preferably non-English.
Malefique, Lunacy and Frontiere(s) were all movies I enjoyed (although I think I'm in the minority on the last one, but if you enjoyed Calvaire, I think Frontiere(s) is a much better take on a similar setup).

Also, Ils was fantastic.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 14, 2009

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Schurik posted:

After recently seeing The Fountain and Sunshine, I'm looking for something similar (and modern, if possible) in terms of pace and atmosphere. Doesn't have to be sci-fi/fantasy, doesn't need Sunshine's weird last 15 minutes, just has to be a slow burner with an otherworldly feeling and good actors. I enjoy Lynch too, if that helps.
Solaris. I really liked Solaris. Also Wicker Park, but I should know better.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Schurik posted:

Yeah, Solaris hits the spot, but I saw that a couple years ago. Is Wicker Park good enough to tinge my undying hate for Josh Hartnett?
It's well-shot and interesting enough. I mean, I recognize that it's nowhere near a great movie, but I just can't get enough of it. I've watched it at least half a dozen times.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

VorpalBunny posted:

Recommend me some good Apocalypse movies. I like anything from LAST NIGHT to MAD MAX to CHILDREN OF MEN. I haven't seen many older films (pre 1970s) that dealt with the end of the world, so any recommendations in that regard are very much appreciated!
Doomsday is a great homage to/take on the genre and, as a fellow fan of apocalyptic action movies, I had a blast watching it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Recommend me film adaptations that parody or deconstruct their own source material. Think Starship Troopers.
Adaptation. and Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I've been watching some minor gems from the '70s, including Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Shivers, Ms. .45 and Badlands. Any other recommendations for overlooked/underrated/flawed-but-good horror/thriller/sci-fi flicks from that decade?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

NeuroticErotica posted:

Good lord - you can spend a lifetime watching those -

Galaxy of Terror (Cameron's first unofficial film), Star Crash, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Glove, Hausu, Poor Pretty Eddie AKA Redneck County Rape, No Way Out, etc.
Thanks! I'm stocking up my Netflix queue with those I can find.

Next up are the other early Cronenbergs I haven't seen -- namely, Rabid and The Brood.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

caiman posted:

I'm looking for movies with strong sexual themes that create uncomfortable atmospheres. Think Happiness, Mysterious Skin, and Kids.
Hard Candy and The Quiet were two excellent thrillers, and Hallam Foe was an excellent drama. All of them deal in some sort of hosed-up -philia. Also I can't really recommend Destricted, but it's a series of avant-garde films by some notable directors (Gaspar Noe and Larry Clark come to mind), all of which are pretty uncomfortable.

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Ok, so I've just finished watching 24 Hour Party People and Control, and now I'm I'm looking for more films that are about Punk Rock, or feature Punk heavily as a motif. Ideally I'm looking for British 70's Punk, though I'll settle for American in a pinch. No documentaries either please!
Sid & Nancy or Repo Man. Possibly anything else by Alex Cox (I haven't seen anything else by him).

I know you said no documentaries, but The Decline of Western Civilization I-III are all very good docs about the punk scene in different iterations through 20 or so years.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I watched Must Read After My Death last night and realized I'm a sucker for documentaries like this. Unfortunately, outside of Tarnation and Capturing the Friedmans, I can't think of any really solid documentaries that depend on home movies and the like to tell haunting tales of extreme dysfunction. I've seen Dear Zachary too, and it was phenomenal, but it doesn't really fit with the rest of these.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

It's not home movies and I wouldn't call it "extreme dysfunction", but you might like Grey Gardens. Hilarious and hypnotic study of a mother and daughter who are oddly co-dependent.
Added to Netflix queue. Thanks!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

electricsugar posted:

Recommend me an action/thriller, but something unconventional. Perhaps a foreign or indie film. I want something fast-paced, fun and a little weird.
Kontroll.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Jolo posted:

I'm looking for a movie with a group of people all banding together to totally ruin a single person. I've been rereading Grant Morrison's Batman run, and his concept of The Black Glove is basically what I'm looking for. They're a bunch of incredibly wealthy people who band together to destroy someone in every way possible because they're bored with their lives of luxury and more importantly, because they can.

I'm trying to think of a particular movie that is like this, but can't think of any. The closest thing that comes to mind is Enemy of the State, but it was less focused on loving with Will Smith's character than getting back a piece of damaging evidence. Ah, just thought of another one: The Game with Michael Douglas is a much better example. Oldboy is another one, but has a single person rather than a group.
I can't believe I'm about to do this, but...

Eagle Eye

Oh hey, Breakdown should not go unmentioned here.

KillRoy posted:

Can anyone recommend any horror movies in the veins of Let The Right One In or House of the Devil?
Here's a few slow-cooking horror movies I've enjoyed for reasons similar to the ones you've mentioned:

Audition
Antichrist
Inside
The Fly
The Innocents
The Vanishing
The White Ribbon

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 29, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

JohnnyDavidson posted:

What are some movies like Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, The Taking Of Pelham 123, Law Abiding Citizen etc. Like mystery thrillers kind of.
Lone Star, L.A. Confidential, Chinatown, Red Riding: 1974-1983, Marathon Man, Copycat, The Secret in Their Eyes (or so I'm told), Arlington Road, JFK, most of Brian de Palma's early filmography (Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Body Double) -- God, the list goes on. Can you narrow it down any?

EDIT: Zodiac. loving Zodiac.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 3, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

timeandtide posted:

I'm looking for haunted house and ghost stories; ones I've seen are the obvious, like The Shining, Poltergeist, Amityville, House on Haunted Hill (both versions), and The Fog.

I just realized that while I've seen quite a few slashers, giallo, movies with demons, etc. but not all that many actual haunting related films.
Mostly foreign ones are coming to mind: The Others, The Devil's Backbone, The Orphanage, A Tale of Two Sisters (and its 2009 remake, The Uninvited), The Kingdom I-II, The Entity, The Innocents, Paranormal Activity, the first five minutes of The Haunting in Connecticut (creepiest credit sequence ever, followed by a mediocre movie), Event Horizon, The Skeptic...

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 3, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Hedenius posted:

So I watched The Square because of a recommendation in some thread here. Pretty much the greatest thriller of the 00's. Absolutely fantastic and I had never heard of it since Australian films tend to get poo poo distribution in Europe. Watch it as soon as you can.

ps. Oops, wrong thread. But I'll leave it here too since The Square is just THAT good.
JohnnyDavidson was asking for thrillers, and this is a great thriller. It belongs in here.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

These are great, anything more recent though? Made in the past 20-30 years?
Inside Man?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

oceanside posted:

I just watched Unthinkable and thought it was pretty drat good. So, I'm looking for more psychological thrillers. I prefer stuff made in the past 20 years but if it's good, I'll watch whatever.
I'm gonna go outside CD's scope and recommend a single Homicide: Life on the Street episode, "Three Men and Adena." If you're looking for psychological thrillers about interrogations (which Unthinkable sounds like), you can't do much better than that.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

And let's not forget Doomsday!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

penismightier posted:

God I really need to watch that.
Seriously, it's the best movie John Carpenter never made. It pays homage to at least three different genres of action movie, with a medieval horseback chase, a Roman gladiator fight, Escape from New York-style post-apocalyptic thrills and car chases straight out of Mad Max.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 12, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

penismightier posted:

I'm saving Doomsday for the inevitable disappointment after Mad Max 4 turns out to be a sack of dog dicks.
They should just call Mad Max 4, Mad Max 5, since the last quarter of Doomsday bested at least two of the original movies at their own game.

It's not a very good movie, but it's very sly in what movies it pays homage to and has some breathtaking action sequences.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

penismightier posted:

Is the last quarter really better than Thunderdome? People give that movie a lot of poo poo but the train-car-plane chase was a hell of a thing.
Do I need to repost that image? The car chase in Doomsday outcrazies anything from Mad Max 1-3.

Also the first 10-20 minutes of their intrusion on infected Scotland plays like an homage to Aliens, complete with the APC.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

codyclarke posted:

I'm directing a music-oriented drama in about a month, and I feel like watching a butt load of music-oriented dramas before then. Things like Amadeus and whatnot. My mind is blanking on a lot of them though. Any good ones y'all can remember would be much appreciated.
The Red Violin and The Piano Teacher.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

penismightier posted:

Lest we forget
Didn't forget; this is simply cooler

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

8 Mile
Hustle & Flow
You just earned cool points.

FitFortDanga is hip-hop.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

assuming you were born sometime after 1985
i wasn't

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

just pretend you were
Anything for my (significantly older) elders.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just watched Exam since I saw it mentioned a few posts back. It was ok, nothing spectacular, but decent enough. Anyway it's given me a taste for that style of "head trippy, sci-fi reveal movie". I can't really come up with a good description beyond that so I'll just list some good examples of the type of films I'm looking for below....

Bonus points for films that focus on the psychology of group dynamics and problem solving like Cube, Identity, etc.

Any recommendations based on the above?
Solaris (and its remake), Timecrimes, The Jacket, Stay, The Manchurian Candidate (and its remake), Last Year at Marienbad, Knowing, Open Your Eyes (since you liked its remake), The Cell...

I mean, it's a pretty wide gamut you're running with that list, but we have similar taste.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Two Finger posted:

Easy one guys... Crime films, please.
I've seen The Untouchables, Godfather 1, The Departed, just about to watch Chinatown... tell me some that are well worth watching.
L.A. Confidential, GoodFellas, Scarface, Miller's Crossing, Band of Outsiders, Zodiac, Summer of Sam, The Square...another pretty wide category. Is there any way you could narrow it down?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Two Finger posted:

I'm not really sure how to narrow it down, sorry. More character driven stuff than action driven is what I'd be after. I really enjoyed Eastern Promises, Goodfellas, Godfather. Things in that kind of vein, if that helps.
Ha! Well, if character-driven is your bag, all of my recommendations fit those criteria. For a twist, I'm also gonna recommend 44 Inch Chest. That was a fantastic exploration of criminal machismo and how it relates to a romantic relationship.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Two Finger posted:

Great, I'll get started over the next couple of days. Just finished my exams so I've got a bit of time up my sleeve. I absolutely loved Heat, too.
Any personal favourite that I should start with, or any of those in particular?

EDIT: And would any of those happen to have a character who had lost a couple of fingers? Might finally be time to buy an avatar if that's the case...
Black Rain isn't that great of a movie but it does have a pretty harrowing Yakuza finger amputation scene. Perhaps you could take it from that?

EDIT: I take it back. There's a scene in Bound (which is one of the best crime movies of the 1990s) with a better-lit scene of finger amputation via pruning shears. Take it from that.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

McSpanky posted:

I'm always saddened that To Live and Die in L.A. gets left off these lists. It really is one of my favorite crime movies with a knockout performance by William Petersen, and it's 80s as all hell (the soundtrack was done by Wang Chung, for Trevor's sake).
I don't like To Live and Die in L.A. as much as other people do (it's just so painfully '80s), but I realize I'm in the minority.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Robert Analog posted:

Tell No One, The Machinist, Transsiberian, What Lies Beneath, Lucky Number Slevin, that sort of stuff? They have twists but I don't think any of them are stupid.

Also I have one more weird request. Could anyone recommend movies that start of one way and then go a completely different fuckoff direction? Knowing is a good example as is Martyrs which I watched for the first time last night and what the gently caress. I just want to be surprised with the direction a movie takes, the more outlandish the better aside from the cliches of "It was all a dream" and the like.
Chloe. That one threw me for a loop.

Also, A Perfect Getaway and Below.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 29, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Robert Analog posted:

I watched Chloe last night, it was decent. The ending was a little underwhelming but it was what I was looking for, thanks for the recommendation.
I saw it coming maybe 20 minutes beforehand, but I didn't actually believe they'd follow through with it. IMDb sums it up perfectly (and I paraphrase): "By the end of the film, Chloe has hosed everyone in that family BUT Liam Neeson."

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

After seeing Dorothy Mills, I'm looking for movies that capture that feel of community hostility towards a stranger.
I was reminded heavily of The Wicker Man by Dorothy Mills. Although (confession time!) I prefer Dorothy Mills. But your mileage may vary.

Also it's nice seeing Carice van Houten getting tons of work in English-speaking films. She was amazing in Black Book.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Mock the Cross posted:

I'm looking for gothic horror in the vein of the The Wolfman remake, with gothic being the main word. I loved The Prestige and I think The Illusionist, Sherlock Holmes and From Hell were alright too.

I'm not a movie Connoisseur by any means, but I am madly in love with the era and need more inspiration for a story I'm working on. I'm in the middle of going through a ton of literature from the era and I'm looking for more movies.
What about...

The Others
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Name of the Rose
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
Ravenous
Ginger Snaps: The Beginning
The Virgin Spring
Interview with the Vampire

?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Mock the Cross posted:

I was thinking more specifically films taking place in the "canonical" gothic era as in the literature term (I.E. 18th to 19th century)
Ah, your inclusion of The Prestige with its fantastical sci-fi elements led me to think you were looking for films that were Gothic in tone. Sorry, bub.

But if there's a faithful adaptation of The Turn of the Screw (is there? that would be fantastic), that would fit your criteria as well.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't know how faithful it is, but as I mentioned above, The Innocents.
I love The Innocents but if memory serves me it took some huge departures from the source novel.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I'd be curious to know what those departures were (spoilerized of course).
I couldn't tell you. I read The Turn of the Screw in junior high school and saw The Innocents last year. Something about it just didn't feel that familiar, though.

Wikipedia says the screenplay was based on a play that was based on a novel. Perhaps being a third-generation facsimile of the novel changed it. But The Innocents is one of the few B&W horror films that genuinely gets to me.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

SMP posted:

So this is a weird request. My two year old sister has forced my dad to watch Stuart Little...literally 98 times :psyduck:. I told him to show her Pixar movies and some Studio Ghibli ones, but apparently she doesn't like animation, so that fucks up my recommendations. I promised my dad I'd help him escape the nightmare, but I can't think of any good kids movies that aren't animation.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid was way less intolerable than I expected (in fact, it's rather funny in parts), but since she's 2 and won't remember it, you should probably just make her watch Die Hard on repeat.

• Locked thread