Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

You could try 2LDK.

It's about two actresses who live together (but aren't really friends) and have just auditioned for the same part.

It kind of takes a turn for the dramatic at one point but it's all set in their apartment and the two leads are the only characters you see.

EDIT: I'd like to be recommended films which contain interesting takes on the future. That's really general but what I'm interested in seeing covers films such as The Matrix, Ultraviolet, Equilibrium, Children of Men, Sunshine, The Gene Generation, Barbarella, Idiocracy, Babylon A.D., Starship Troopers, etc. basically any film that focuses on a 'possible' (if extremely unlikely) way that the world might develop in the coming years.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks for sci-fi future recommendations, I've added Gattaca, Code 46 and THX 1138 and to my Lovefilm list.

Elijah Snow posted:

-Recommend me movies that have intertwined but separate stories like Magnolia or Amores Perros, or movies that deal with alternate reality settings like eXistenZ and Vanilla Sky. Not a big fan of action movies though Total Recall was fun to watch.

I just saw Babel yesterday and I think it fits your description. It features 4 separate, but connected stories set in Morocco, US/Mexico and Morocco and, like Amores Perros, is directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

Also, there's Twenty Bucks. I haven't actually seen all of this film myself but I know it's in the same mold as the films you've named and Babel. However it's apparently more of a comedy. Here's the blurb from Lovefilm:

"This multi-character comedy follows the path of a single twenty dollar bill in a city neighborhood,focusing on various holders and their intertwining stories, including two convenience store robbers, an estranged father and daughter and a young newlywed couple."

Nimrod's Son posted:

Also for a totally different type of samurai movie:
Aragami takes place with only 2 speaking characters and all but the first min or so (if that) takes place in the same room. There's quite a bit of verbal swordplay and kick rear end action swordplay. It's in japanese though so it doesn't fit exactly with your examples.

This film is actually part of a double feature with 2LDK (which I recommend earlier). The two films were actually only made after a night of heavy drinking led the two Japanese directors to challenge each other to see who could make the best film using just 2 lead characters amd 1 principle location. Also, the shoot could only last a week max.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Japanese film Kairo (aka Pulse) did this pretty well too. It wasn't what I was expecting from the film but definitely made me think.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

I really like movies where the supernatural intersects with the psychological. Let the Right One In is the best example I've got, although I also really enjoyed A Tale of Two Sisters and Night of the Living Dead. So not exactly thrill-a-minute flicks, but more of a, "Yes, there are zombies, but it's more about group dynamics in a panic situation!" sort of thing. Although, obviously, the zombies are nice, too.

And even though the movie is almost all cliche by now, I always appreciated how Ringu placed a great deal of emphasis on the characters' research and experimentation regarding the curse. It seemed a bit more scientific method-y than the traditional horror film where the answers are handed down by some talking head who just happens to know all the answers (even though Ringu had one of those, too).

Sorry if this is a bit too vague. It's hard to capture what I want in words. I'm a pragmatist who enjoys fantasy. Please help me.

I'd recommend Cello. It's a Korean film about a cellist who begins to find herself the victim of a supernatural occurrence and I think it fits your requirement of being more about the character's mental state and her family than the actual scares (though there are a lot of those too).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

codyclarke posted:

Looking for recommendations of slow, minimalist asian films similar to Kim Ki-Duk's work. I'm a huge fan of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring and 3-Iron in particular. Anything like either of those would probably be up my alley.

I haven't seen the films you mention but The Last Life in the Universe sounds like it'd fit what you're looking for. It's a about a suicidal, shy Japanese librarian living in Thailand and the relationship he develops with a girl whose sister has just died.

I actually don't know why I wanted to watch it in the first place as it's not what I usually go for but it's easily one of the best filmes I've watched this year (though that's actually not saying much).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

oceanside posted:

Firstly, comedies in the vein of the Naked Gun Trilogy, Airplane and Airplane 2, Blazing Saddles and Top Secret. I think I've exhausted the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker films, even their older stuff like Kentucky Fried Movie and I know they had some sort of hand in Scary Movie but I found that quite terrible in comparison. I suppose a lot of the Marx brothers stuff I have seen is also in this vein (Duck Soup, A Night At The Opera).

Hot Shots, Hot Shots: Part Deux and Loaded Weapon 1 should be on your list if you've not already seen them.

quote:

Secondly, your favourite movies with a non-linear plot. Like any Tarantino movies that do it, basically. I also enjoyed Memento. I'm open to any genre, but I prefer crime dramas.

Try Following. It was Christopher Nolan's first feature film I think and was a forerunner to Memento in terms of using a non-linear structure.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

I'm a big fan of gritty horror/action space movies. I really enjoyed the following:

Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Alien:Resurrection
Event Horizon
Sunshine
Serenity
Starship Troopers

Are there any other notable movies that are similar and enjoyable? I'm guessing I've already seen everything I'd like but if by chance I missed something great I'd love a recommendation.

Try Pandorum. It's fairly recent so probably isn't on DVD yet but having seen some of the films on your list, I'd put Pandorum in the same kind of area in Sci-Fi.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

And for more of the mindless violence angle, try Wanted

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I'd say this film just about scrapes into the 'good' category mentioned but you might like the Japanese film Kairo (aka Pulse).

It gets a bit supernatural but at heart it's about solitude in modern society.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

codyclarke posted:

I just saw Timecrimes and between that and Moon I'm jonesin' for some other recent, fairly low budget and extremely good sci-fi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if it's technically 'sci-fi' but I'd recommend Special starring Michael Rappaport.

It's all about how one man's life changes when he starts a clinical drug trial.

You might also be interested in Intacto. It's a Spanish film following the fortunes and misfortunes of a group of people who have learnt how to 'steal' luck from others.

As with Special, calling it 'sci-fi' might be going a bit far but it certainly has a bit of an edge.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Truman Show?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

MadDuck posted:

Today I realized that about half of my Netflix queue is Asian stuff (Read: Anime and Kung-Fu), and in the interest of not feeling like a pathetic japanophile, I'd like some good European or Russian films recommended. The only Russian movie I have on queue is Stalker, and I know hardly anything about what kind of genres, styles or aesthetics that are commonly accepted as uniquely "Russian" other than the setting of Chernobyl and cold war propaganda against dirty commies.

Presuming you like action/sci-fi, you could try Night Watch, its sequel Day Watch and the unrelated Avalon for Russian/Eastern European films.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

electricsugar posted:

Recommend me an action/thriller, but something unconventional. Perhaps a foreign or indie film. I want something fast-paced, fun and a little weird.

Pyrokinesis - A Japanese film about about a woman who controls fire.

Duel Project: Aragami & 2DLK - Two separate films these. Two main actors, one location and a conflict. Also Japanese.

Dragon Tiger Gate - Martial arts film from China. It's very stylised and goes in a bit of a funny direction at the end but it's a fun watch.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

Mostly foreign ones are coming to mind: The Others, The Devil's Backbone, The Orphanage, A Tale of Two Sisters (and its 2009 remake, The Uninvited), The Kingdom I-II, The Entity, The Innocents, Paranormal Activity, the first five minutes of The Haunting in Connecticut (creepiest credit sequence ever, followed by a mediocre movie), Event Horizon, The Skeptic...

Also Cello for another Korean recommendation.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Right at your Door isn't so much about a war but it is about the fallout of a nuclear bomb in LA.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Robert Analog posted:

I'm in the mood for some time travel movies. Any recommendations aside from Back to the Future, Timecrimes, Primer, Time Bandits, 12 Monkeys, or Time Cop?

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - *ANIME WARNING* - About a girl who finds a device that lets her jump through time. Set in a high school.

The Butterfly Effect - Presuming you haven't already seen it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Though not exactly a great film, I'd say the recent Killers film fits th tone switching criteria, presuming you go in blind like I did.

Also Sunshine

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 29, 2010

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

eyebrow posted:

I hate anime, but I've got a friend trying to convince me that its not all poo poo. The only anime I've seen that I enjoyed was Spirited Away, what are some other good ones?

Seconding Paprika and I'd also recommend...
The Girl who Leapt Through Time
Perfect Blue
Grave of the Fireflies

...as anime films that just feel like 'good' films, anime or not.

You might still not like them, but you should be able to judge them easily on their own merits, not their origin.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Could someone recommend me something for what book-people call "hard science" fiction please? Movies in which space does not transmit sound, everything is slow and difficult, instead of jumping from galaxy to galaxy. I am thinking of 2001, possibly without the psychedelic aspect of it (and, if possible, without space battles). That would be neat.

\/ Okay, I'll try both of those. Thanks!

\/² Another great recommendation. Thanks!

I think Sunshine might fit your needs.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Well, up to that point.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Robert Analog posted:

I was unfamiliar with the term until now, I can probably find some movies based off that, thanks.

I'd recommend..

Intacto - About people with 'luck' powers but played (almost) completely straight

Wristtcutters - A love story - Technically set in the after-life but I think you'd appreciate the style

Cashback - About a boy who seems to learn how to stop time. This may sound overt and there are some overt scenes but it's no heavier in its fantastical elements than Pan's Labyrinth was.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ahh Yes posted:

I'm just going through a massive sci-fi/space film phase and was curious if i've missed any gems. I've seen stuff like:

Alien
Star Wars
Dune
Star Trek II
Pandorum
Dark City
The Matrix
The Abyss (not really space but yeah)
Armageddon
Contact
Pitch Black
Red Planet
Altered States
Space Camp
Solaris

These are the ones i've recently watched, and I was looking for anything similar

Moon
Sunshine
Deep Impact (if Armageddon counts)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Synnr posted:

I don't suppose anyone could recommend any movies with a similar visual aesthetic to Amelie or Pushing Daisies? That sort of primary colour brightness and heavy pattern usage.

Survive Style 5+

It's quite a funny and interesting film anyway, but I found the visuals particularly stunning. Maybe some of it might be too bold, but there's lots of clips on Youtube so you can see for yourself before committing to a rental.

Robert Analog posted:

Sorry if this is scatterbrained I really did just finish watching it so I'm trying to get everything I want to say out.

Well, glad you liked it. I felt much the same way the stuff near the end with his ex but the five a side scene reminded me of my time playing too much for not to enjoy regardless of silly it got. In general, being British and having known people similar to the characters in the film gave the film an edge for me above and beyond the intrigue of the premise (and that doesn't happen a lot for me with British films).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Broken

Not personally a favourite but a lot of the people here who have seen it liked it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I'm looking for films that focus on cults and secret societies. Mainly featuring a protagonist getting way too deep and wanting out at any cost. Films like The Game, The Da Vinci Code and Fight Club for example. Any other films like that?

Society for an.. interesting take on the concept.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For tense/atmosphere horror films, I'd recommend...

The Broken - UK film. I actually felt this had a little too much tension/build and not enough pay-off but you might like it. It seems quite popular amongst other people here who have seen it.

Reincarnation (2005) - Japanese. Not too dissimilar in style from Ringu but has quite an interesting and well utilised premise.

Pulse - Japanese. This film is pretty much all atmosphere once it gets going and that atmosphere gets pretty once you realise what's going on. The film stuck with me for ages afterwards.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Wristcutters: A Love Story (a virtually-unknown gem that's available on Netflix Instant),

Just posting in support of this.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

codyclarke posted:

Can someone recommend me good movies with deaf characters? I have to watch as many as I can as research for a project. I watched Children of a Lesser God, and it had its moments, but mostly it was a chore. I'm looking for some with a more engaging story and better script, like In The Company Of Men.

One of the storylines in Babel features a deaf character though I'm not sure the portrayal was the most believable..

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

drat NIGGA posted:

No, its just that recent relationship movies involve people around my age and its easier to relate to.

What are some good depressing movies?

Eden Lake. It might also fulfill your need for relationships and people around your age.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

And Blindness is only disturbing due to the stupidity of all the characters.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I felt it dropped like a stone shortly after they went to the unmanned facility. It became distractingly unbelievable from that point even though the premise was such an interesting one.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

csidle posted:

Are there any movies that deal with the same subjects as The Truman Show? Something along the lines of the absurdity of modern-day reality-tv culture, or something along those lines. Furthermore, any movies that deal with the subject of surveillance, like Das Liebe der Anderen would be appreciated.

For 'thrillers', you could try My Little Eye which is Big Brother (the TV show)-like in its concept or Series 7: The Contenders for a more overt, and darker, satire of the extents the reality TV goes to in pursuit of 'entertainment'.

Thematically, The Running Man might suit you too.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

korgy posted:

I like the futuristic society sci-fi kind of movies such as Minority Report, I,Robot, and The Island. Anything else that might fit that category? (I have seen Blade Runner)

You could try Gattaca for a really good film. Unfortunately, I think it's quite difficult to find actual decent films with that setting, but you might enjoy the following:

Code 46
Surrogates
The Final Cut
Repo Men
Ultraviolet
Babylon A.D.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

b0nes posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if I needed my own thread, but basically i want the poo poo scared out of me. I can't tell you why, but basically scary movies do next to nothing for me. it's always been like that. I thought Nightmare on Elm Street was a comedy when I was young. Chucky did nothing for me. Honestly in my lifetime I haven't seen anything that really " disturbed" me except The Human Centipede, which really got to me. My best friends girlfriend recommended I watch Midnight meat Train, which is on it's way via netflix.

Well most classic Hollywood horror films are like that. More 'horrific' than 'horrifying'.

Maybe you'd enjoy stuff like Saw or Hostel.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Himuro posted:

Recommend me awesome Chinese films!

You might have already seen some of these but...

Hero - I've heard complaints about the message of the film, but I think it tells its story well enough and looks utterly amazing thanks both to the martial arts (inc. Donnie Yen) and the cinematography.
Shaolin Soccer - Wuxia in a comedy. Really one of my favourite films. It's just tons of fun to watch
Dragon Tiger Gate - A fairly recent production (2007), full of stylish action sequences and Donnie Yen.
Once Upon a Time in China - One of many films based on the life one of China's most famous folk heroes, Wong Fei Hong. Starring Jet Li.
Fearless - Another Jet Li period piece (loosely) based on the life of a person
Fist of Legend - Jet Li again. This one's set against the backdrop of the Japanese occupation in 1937.

Raging Phoenix - Not Chinese but if you liked Chocolate...

And not martial arts, but if you watch and like In the Mood for Love, you should try Chungking Express.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 28, 2011

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Aragami and 2LDK

Hard Candy (more or less, though there is some build-up to it)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

There is a very particular kind of movie I often enjoy. So particular that at this point, I know of two examples: Casshern, and Goemon. It's that bizarre over the top fantastic kung fu type slop, with lots of action, typical kung fu movie acting, and lots of pretty colors and eye candy with big shots and shiny colors. I'm not sure what it is about those kinds of movies, but they push a button that is wired directly to the pleasure center of my brain.

Ridiculousness of these movies aside, any similar titles you folks know of?

You could try Avenging Fist or Dragon Tiger Gate.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

oceanside posted:

What're some films that are colourful? I mean that in the sense that the cinematography draws from a vibrant pallet, perhaps a little like Survive Style 5+ which is all I can think of that fits my description right now. Film from any period is fine, but I'd like to be able to watch it in HD.

Kamikaze Girls should suit. Hero's pretty famous for its use of colours too in case you haven't seen it already.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Mr Empty posted:

I recently watched the film Chungking Express and was wondering if someone could recommend films somewhat similar to it as i haven't been able to get it out of my head. I really liked the dreamlike feel of it with the stylish direction/editing along with the honesty of the slice of life relationship stuff, so maybe stuff along those lines.

You might like The Last Life in the Universe. The story I suppose is a little more outlandish but it's all treated in a very subtle way and the cinematography is simply beautiful (done by Christopher Doyle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

There was a more recent version of Jason and the Argonauts too.

Also, I haven't seen it but maybe Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief would be of interest.

• Locked thread