Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
While I'd love to go through and start from the OP, I really doubt I could focus for that long :v:

I have notice from skimming the past couple pages that many people have mentioned being great trouble shooters. I worked for a couple years as a guitar/instrument tech and I had a knack for trouble shooting as well. ADD folk seem to be great at seeing the big picture, skimming, gestalt, whatever you want to call it. I often don't have the drive or desire to learn every technical aspect of something though, but seem to have an easy time seeing A -> B -> C and then skipping to where we get to J or what might be missing if we can't get there.

Sometime this does bug me because it seems like everyone else can remember stats and trivia and solid facts. Combined with a bit of lysdexia I will sometimes blurt out gibberish knowing full well what the real answer is, but often to my embarrassment some other configuration of words comes out. I am trying to become more OK with this, but unfortunately even college "smarts" often come down to binary answers. Seems like type A or whatever you want to call them aren't willing to wait for the tenth word in an abstract comparison when they want the answer in one or two words. I guess that's why I enjoy writing papers though.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with co-morbidity. I have been dealing with depression for more than half my life now.. and I think a lot of it stemmed from not doing well in school initially, because of the ADD... and then depression effects attention and motivation, downward spiral time! Been on Welbutrin now for 2 years... seems to help with both issues, but I'm wondering what not drug tactics anyone dealing with both depression or anxiety and ADD use?

e - spellzings

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Read Delivered From Distraction. Make who ever you live with read it. Cater your life to the way you are, and stop trying to fit your life into how society expects it to be. The book is really good for understanding how to do this. It takes the effort of all around you.
I lurked here a bit before posting and saw people going on about that book, but I didn't write the title down. I'll be honest I couldn't remember which one it was in the bookstore, since he named the sequels so similar, so I left with none... :doh:

TheBigBad posted:

Riding bikes is pretty much a Panacea.
Done and done. :) Although with all the chatter up in my dome it usually takes a solid 30 miles just to get to something resembling a calm state. Or about 10 minutes of mountain biking since it takes every ounce of focus.

TheBigBad posted:

In my experience once I got things manageable and was able to build on small successes it cascaded and alleviated co-morbid conditions like depression. The drug treatment however was the opposite. They went to treat the depression first and we didn't explore the ADHD until later. In retrospect, I think that wasn't the best course for me personally.
I hear ya. The antidepressants were right for the first step since I was in a bad bad spot before that. And I've been doing talk therapy. But ADD or not, it's easy to get psyched about 100 plans in a session and then a day later can't remember what they were, or feel motivated to do em.

I think it was a good step because I've gotten past feeling odd about medz for depression, and now debating some for ADD. I know now as an adult that medication won't define me, and I can always leave it if it's not working.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Winszton posted:

I've moved 4 hours and need to find a new psychiatrist. I'm on one side of a large city and will be going to college about 40 minutes away (other side) in a few months.
So I think I'm going to find a psychiatrist over there.
Or, should I inquire with the college to see if they'd offer a free psychiatrist? They're private, 1300 students, so they likely don't have extensive healthcare offerings.

I just need someone local to check in with and give me prescriptions for my medication.

Check with your new school for sure. I go to a school of about 3000 undergrad. While we don't have a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist we do have several certified counselors and a great learning center. I have mainly focused on school and depression in my sessions but I know there are good ADD resources there as well.

I mean, it's already "free" since you are paying for the education. Also they might have a good list of local sliding scale services for the psych/meds part.

Also I'm sure other folk can talk about this (I decided to not go this route) you can be assessed or show them a recent assessment to get accommodations in courses. Even something like testing outside, or at a learning center, away from the AC unit during tests or flickering lights might help (that's the poo poo that usually throws me during tests).

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Authentic You posted:

She told me that she remembered how I'd always get yelled at for not doing a chore or something, and then seeing the stricken honest look on my face when I said I forgot. :smith: I never meant to not do it, I just forgot.

Oh God, this. I'm not the biggest fan of rehashing childhood stuff in sessions but I did have one flashback to when I was maybe in second grade and forgot my lunch box. I just honest to God forgot it was a thing I needed to keep track of, and had to endure a 10 minute screaming fit from my mom. That feeling of being trapped and not being able to understand why something so mundane could be so infuriating.

And my dad also recalled once randomly when I was younger than that when he scolded me for something minor, but I was off daydreaming in unicorn land, and he said I was so spooked that it looked like I'd been slapped.

I guess that's maybe why ADD kids are often the 'sensitive' ones.. it's just so surprising when you are snapped back to a reality that you don't expect at all.
So yeah, right there in emo land w/ ya :smith:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

New tip: Get a kindle or some other e-ink based reader of your brand preference.

I've been able to plow through 8 books in 2 months. Prior to this I've struggled to read that many in 8 years.

How about PDF's on a computer? I haven't tried a reader more than a minute or two dicking around at the bookstore, but for some reason I need me some physical paper.

Trying to retain anything from reading a wall of text on the computer is my personal hell. I mean I could read ten pages in a row and not be able to tell you what it was about.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Someone dare to share what their to-do lists look like, or how you organize priorities, etc? I get stuck when I have like one high priority, but 17 mid level. Ok, I can get that first one done, then I just stare and don't know how to make any sense of the rest.

I will share an embarrassing detail: I have to write down "brush teeth." Everyday. Or I won't.... :(

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

OmNom posted:

In spite of being line for line, I do not do tasks in any discernible order. poo poo gets written down the moment I think of it. Filling out my lists is the first thing I do after getting my morning coffee + meds. Great combo right?

You'll also notice things repeating across days on end if I don't get to them.

I'll try and find older, pre-medicated note books, those are nuts.

Thanks. Do the arrows indicate moved to the next list, because that's something I do.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Kylra posted:

I really wish I could just make, maintain and use a to-do list for more than a few days. I have problems making a grocery list much less maintain a to-do list.

Ahhhh, I totally deal with the same thing. It's so frustrating that the only thing consistent is my inconsistency. And all the books are like "it's just developing a habit... " but developing a consistent habit feels impossible to me.

Baby steps to the list, baby steps. :sigh:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Ritualize the reward. Make it a big thing to cross something off. Its satisfying its good.

I tend to yell "gently caress yeah dude!" really loudly when I finally clear something I never could on my mountain bike.

Maybe I'll start doing that for the line cross! :v:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I find Yerba Mate doesn't really cut it for me once I've gotten to the tired/un-focused state, but it's great as a pre emptive measure. Definitely won't give you the jitters the same way bad coffee will.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Now that I'm in the "real world" and have a full time job, it really became a hindrance. I work at an IT helpdesk, so I have 50ish tickets a day to deal with. At the end of the day, when I had A B & C to do, and for some reason have G, I, Q, X, Y, and Z marked off my list, that's a problem. When a client needs their computer back today, and I've spent 2 hours researching a problem for someone else, that's a problem.

You can't just make a blind list. Procrastination can be fed by doing the easiest or least stressful stuff, you feel like you are being productive but you are not.

You need to categorize importance in some way. Someone in here referenced "today, tomorrow, NOW" if words are your thing. I rank things 1 to 5 (1 being most important) and you can't do a 2 until all the ones are gone, etc.

However, as I posted before, I get stuck when I have 20 2-category things to do, and can't figure out where to start. Maybe I'll just start going by alphabetical order then? Could work! :v:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Often you get caught up on the rules of the system and that can cause an issue with even making the next list. So be flexible and adapt to how you're handling the world.

My capacity seems to change depending on what I have due. This month I seem to be unable to get anything done. I'm pretty much locked in daydream mode despite riding bikes, drinking vast amounts of caffeine, :catdrugs:, anything. I thought maybe it was the heat, but I suspect that its because I'm finishing my last classes for my degree. There is nothing like thinking you have it licked and then being trapped for weeks on end in helpless mode.

Not to run a good joke into the ground but: OMG we are the same person!

I know I mentioned this before, but if you are road biking maybe check out mountain biking as well. I call it physical chess. To do it well you need to see 3 moves ahead and it engages every sense but taste (until you eat dirt). My friends :rolleyes: about it since I've been ranting so much.

Anyhow feels like I had a mega dose of adderol, valium and anti depressants if I do it for more than 30 min. The only side effects are feeling like a truck hit you the next day heh.

I am not done with my degree but I finished the crazy first 93%, and now jsut have the other terrifying 7% (student teaching) which is it's own beast. That and having a really poo poo e/n 8 months, I am doing what you are doing. Feelin like I'm done, but really it's just a new chapter. Change scares me! To butcher a famous line: I guess you can't stay moving on a neutral train.

As far as systems:
I guess the thing is many folk with ADD get scolded early on and think they need to do things perfectly. So they must find the perfect system. Stick to it perfectly.

You are so right about the flexibility. I read the Franklin book, or one based on it, and several other books. My system just steal from them and change weekly. I guess I just have to accept since I can't focus on anything for more than 10 minute why would my system stay the same for more than two weeks?

BTW I didn't catch the "company orders" reference and thought you had lost yer mind for a sec.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

That was a non-sequitur into dialog from the movie Aliens 1986 directed by James Cameron. (Just wanted to show the oh look butterfly part I've been stuck in during the month of June).

OK I thought it was Aliens. Makes me feel not quite as culturally unawares. :keke: I doubt I could quote that one since my order of repeated views is 1,3,2 and then that abomination called Resurrection.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
For those who hate writing notes buy a MP3 dictation machine. Or if you have a laptop in class, use the mic to record the lecture. My handwriting and spelling suck so bad that I'm about 10 minutes behind if I pay attention to what I'm writing.

I've used it to play back the lecture later as I am doing dishes or whatever and that's a good use of otherwise "down" time.

Now if I could only find mine. :(

I have a (college) classmate who is so visually oriented she literally draws little cartoons about what the Prof is talking about and it really seems to work for her because maybe the picture only has 35% of the material, but looking at something thta was eye/kinesthetic brings the rest back.

Try a few things and stick with the one that works. And by works I mean 51% of the time can = success after awhile. The current self help book I am reading recommends the 51% idea for indecision (which I've posted before is often my biggest prbolem).

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

OmNom posted:

On a personal note I DO NOT WANT TO MEDICATE TODAY, always being ON ON ON is so loving tiring. Grumble.

The little that I've taken ADD medz (some authorized: ritalin, some no: adderol) made me feel that way.

I feel great when I'm doing XYZ but when I take a break to eat something I don't want to feel like I"m counting the sesame seeds on my bagel or poo poo.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I was house sitting and watching some lazy Sunday TV and stumbled onto this video about ADD on PBS.

It's hella corny, but honestly I did laugh out loud more than once, and there are quite a few good tips. Since I didn't know if I'd be able to track it down again I was actually proactive and took notes and think I will try to implement a technique every week or two.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Authentic You posted:

In regards to creativity, I've heard it described as 10% inspiration, 90% execution. My mind barfs up tons of cool awesome creative ideas and concepts, but they don't mean anything if I can't sit down and produce something from that idea. Before meds, I was really really good at the inspiration part, but couldn't follow through with any creative idea to save my life. It hurt a lot in design school. You'll need to work your rear end off more than anything in a creative program. I wouldn't worry about losing creativity. I would have readily traded a sizable portion of my creativity for the ability to actually sit down and execute projects well and on time.

I entered design school being one of the kids my classmates were afraid of, and during my time in the program and with my inability to really, truly deliver, I watched most of my classmates pass me by in terms of quality of work, jobs, skills, etc. I just couldn't do the loving work.

If you're on the right meds, you won't lose your imagination, and you'll actually be able to hold on to, process, and follow through with your ideas.

drat I wish I could do design school over again. :smith:

Thanks for this post. This is exactly me. I have woken up and sketched out the idea for building a new desk, writing 2/3rds of a song, and a great idea for a video game that will blow people's minds. Then I fall back to sleep.

Then the next day I look at this random smattering of ideas and go "meh... so much work", shuffle of and do something that wastes time, and then get more depressed that none of my great ideas ever come to fruition.

I have to wait another week or so for my new insurance to kick in but I will be looking into appropriate and non-jittery ADD medz. I have been on Wellbutrin for two years now, the min dose, but it really is enough to keep me on the right track, so I'm hoping to find the slight tweak I need with focus as well. For some reason it's harder for me to accept that I could be on medz for life for ADD than depression, I have no idea why. Maybe because one is more "life and death"...?

The thing I've heard that works great for "creative" people (I hate that term since everyone is, but the arts, engineering, etc) is setting a time to do X amount of something regardless of quality or output, just make it regular. Write 200 words in the morning if you write, draw for ten minutes, whatever. I am accepting now that it doesn't make you less creative, it just means you will have the discipline to tackle that opus when you have the idea but aren't used to parsing things out, and keeping at something even when it's tough.

Currently I have a stack of a thousand pieces of paper with 2 lines of lyrics on each. I've been getting OK at typing them up, 20 minutes at a time. The pile is down from two full cubes in a Ikea Expedit bookshelf to one and a half. :toot: Gotta accept that even minimal progress is progress! :sun:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, it's nuts that sometimes I can't even focus on reading a paragraph or have to re-read it 100 times.

And then other days/projects I can spend 10 hours mixing an album which is tedious work, and realize I haven't eaten...

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Welp my honeymoon period is definitely over, now I actually have to force myself to be productive again

I thought there was a pill for that too :(

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Authentic You posted:

On Strattera, my doc is more or less of the opinion that Strattera is a mislabeled antidepressant. He's had a low success rate with it, and only prescribes it when all the stimulant options really gently caress you up or don't work, so as a second-line option.
Interesting because I've been hearing a lot about co-morbidity with depression/ADD and seems like a chicken/egg thing. I'm hoping if I start taking :catdrugs: for ADD my depression will dial back... it's manageable now (I feel like I'm at a tepid 81% most of the time), but I get frustrated at my inattentiveness so much.

That and htfu with organizing tactics. Wah... I want a pill to do it for me! :mad:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

OmNom posted:

YMMV, with ADD we are all snow flakes, but save for maybe a short spell or two which correlated nicely with life events, I've been practically depression free since starting :catdrugs:. Most of my depression came from NEVER GETTING poo poo DONE, and the mountain vs. mole hill way of looking at life. The stims combined with tenex (a bp med for ADD) is keeping me pretty drat happy and normal.

I'm at a point where I am able to take med vacations for days on end (see labor day weekend) and I feel perfect in the brain. Hope it works for you.

Yay I'm a snowflake! :keke:
Unfortunately it'll be a couple weeks before I can get in to a DR since my insurance is switching.

In the meantime have a slice of my personal life and attempts to HTFU. Been meaning to post this for a while: Incoming :words:!!!

I call this the Task Bastard(tm) (says Task Master on the outside cuz, like, professionalism).
I was really unhappy with how most organizers were laid out so I started making my own pages with things I need/do/forget.

It used to be in a 8 x 5 binder but it's so hard for me to write that small. This thing is constantly evolving but I try to keep it the same for at least 2-3 months or I drive myself nuts tinkering (ADDer's have perfectionism streaks!? shocking!)
The first pic is just to show that things are broken down into daily, monthly, contacts, etc... there is a sort area and I should be sorting the rando pages that end up in there every day, but it's more like once a week. The different sections is a new addition, and I took some time with a label maker. Corny as gently caress but I think label makers are awesome!

I made the pages in Illustrator, but you could use any program, or do it by hand and photocopy. The point is to have stuff you need to do erry day be printed, and have space for the stuff that is list based and changing.

The editing is to prevent internet detectivery, not out of embarrassment since you can see I take prostate pillz(herbal) and anti-depressants. :iamafag: As I mentioned, if I don't have a reminder to brush my teeth... I don't brush my teeth. God, being an adult with ADD is a hot mess. But since it's SA I gotta say it, please don't be a dick because posting this took a lot of courage and I feel a tad exposed. :ohdear:
Feel fee to ask any questions too.

I was going to include a finished day's page, but there were to many little things to black out it didn't make sense to, but poo poo gets crossed off IN RED, and unfinished gets carried over with an arrow, or ditched. Similar to another poster's lists in here. Honestly, so many pages are pathetically not covered in RED. Certain days I get 10% done and it's scattered between professional and random chores. Getting 40% of tasks done is like a dream come true. But I keep tinkering with it and slooooowly getting my poo poo together. I bet ironically I'll be 100% effective when I'm 70 and I have 3 things to do and I forget to write down the other two from senility.

The point is not to use my system but make up your own system if nothing else is working. gently caress, Abraham Lincoln used to write his "get-ir-dun" list out on the back of a shovel, or some nonsense. Lastly, I post this because I've been flaking with my system a lot, and then life accordingly, so it's to get my own rear end back in gear. Got all my "morning routine" tasks done today! :toot:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Authentic You posted:

Sometimes it's like magic-spell compulsion - I just HAVE to go dick around with this random thing instead of do work and I can't stop myself.
Again, same here. It honestly feels sometimes how I picture an addict with just slamming another round of blow/crack/junk. I am literally outside myself yelling "no, stop dum dum!" and yet I click on the next link, put on the next episode, etc...

On that note, back to work!

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Two days in to Nuvigil and I feel the same way. Although I've also felt very much on edge today and I have been under a lot of stress lately; I'm beginning to wonder if what I'm experiencing isn't ADD after all and is instead my brain literally shutting down from stress overload.

If I've learn one thing from talk therapy it's that stress and loss can affect you in some weird unpredictable ways. Like, butterfly flaps it's wings --> causing a tsunami weird.

I don't mean some little nag will make you completely lose your poo poo (although that is a common one), but just... really odd psychosomatic stuff or feeling raw emotionally.

Meditation, even like 10 minutes when you are feeling like yr being crushed from all sides, can help.

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks for posting your organizer! My task management is a mess spread over paper lists (for shopping mostly), emailing myself (augh I'm terrible) and sometimes phone alarm reminders. I should probably come up with something better one of these days.

No problem! I still catch myself writing on scraps... lists, but also prose/lyrics, but I am getting better at it all going in that one place. I'd love to get to the point where if it's not in the folder, I don't have to worry about it!

I don't feel like I am an anal "OMG you put the pen in the pencil spot!" type. But I've been experimenting with "acting" as if I am, and I end up splitting the difference because I am inherently messy. It's made me a lot more on top of poo poo. Things like Monday is this type of food for dinner, just buy this exact same type of soap, for poo poo that really doesn't matter... otherwise I end up wasting an hour in a store and come out pissed and confused having bought the exact opposite of what I needed.

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2012

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

usha posted:

Thanks for sharing your time management method, Interstitial Abs! It's actually really interesting to see how people with ADD handle their productivity, with the expression 'coping mechanisms' being thrown everywhere in that context.

I've read Covey's Seven Habits, tried Allen's GTD method, experimented with Astrid and Evernote on my phone. They all stick with me for a week (or less) and then I either forget about them or toss them away, and move back to just writing down lists and trying to follow them through.

Exactly, just find something that can work for you. I have read more organization books than a sane person should and yeah, I get real into it for a week, then it just disappears. I think what I'm finally understanding is that with ADD the best thing to do is have a solid base, and you will wander away or forget to apply what works, but if you can get back to it not all is lost. Sort of like riding a bike. If you haven't in 6 months it's going to suck, but after 2 weeks you could be close to your old form. If you stop for 5 years, you will still at least remember the balance and pedaling even if you can't go but 1 mile. Reminds me, I need to ride my bike more! :v:

Self love (not that kind) and self forgiveness seem to be key for me too... "OK, time to try again!" I like the idea that Buddhism presents that each failure is just a beautiful opportunity to start anew.

I have a grandpa cellphone but once I can afford a smartie I might move over to a digital calendar, and a GTD type app, but for right now dead trees seems to help me the most so that's how it'll be. If it ain't broke...

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So today I find out if the counselor who works with special needs (and ADD) has availability. *crosses fingers*

sorry for e/n content but:
Basically my best (not only, but by far best) option for therapy is the free stuff through school but I am starting to feel like I've plateaued. Strangely my counselor was like "I feel like if you keep coming here I am enabling you" (ie: re working the same old poo poo) so I am hoping someone with some ADD training can help me get productive as that seems to be the last big depressing hump to get over.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The first step to getting poo poo done is to start doing it. You must believe your task is not insurmountable, and just start working on it.

Well lately I have been feeling like "at least 10% done is not 10% in the hole!" which is a huge leap from my usual negativity.

"Baby steps to the door, baby steps to the car...."

i heart bob

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Eds posted:

Driven To Distraction is the original book. You want Delivered From Distraction - it basically includes the original, plus new learning/research and stuff.

Since I have lysdexia as well it really angers me that they named those books so similar!

I must remember - "From, from, from...!" That'll get me some looks at the bookstore. :v:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Its called inattentive adhd. You should get diagnosed and treated. You can have a better life. I would start by reading Delivered FROM Distraction as mentioned earlier.
Finally got my copy last night! :toot: And while I didn't break down in tears in the park reading it there were some "oh gently caress" moments where I was like "stop describing exactly me how do you know all the little wrong things ohmygod there's someone else out there like me!"

HondaCivet posted:

Speaking of meds . . . Are meds supposed to help with fidgeting? I am always doing stupid things with my hands when I'm bored like twirling my hair :downs: or picking at my nail polish. I haven't found my perfect med/dosage yet but it seems like it hasn't curbed it outside of when I'm actually engaged and doing something. Is that to be expected?

Just learn a stupid pen twirl trick, so at least it's a cool fidget. :cool:

In uncool news, looks like I am between insurance coverage longer that I thought I'd be (mix up at school.. automatic charge does not = automatic payment.. :argh:) but I still on the hunt for an ADD related therapist so hopefully if there is a long wait for an apt I can line both up.

Any ADD support groups that are part of an organization? In Driven he talks about how something based on a 12 step model could be really beneficial and I agree! I do have some addictive tendacies but I feel like if I can get a hold on the ADD I will be less prone to getting lost in the internet and alchohol depression, etc. Co-morbitiy can kiss my rear end. :mad:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

I used to date an NA/AA (9-11 years sober) member girl and I really enjoyed being part of the sobriety oriented world. They had alot of fun because the population of them spent a good deal of their lives partying and were forced to be social without the aid of drugs and alcohol so flying kites at night with glowsticks and other various fun poo poo you would never do with 50 year old biker chicks was something I got to do.
Yeah, I've been to a couple meetings which have ranged from angry old men in a church basement being a bit condescending to a me as a newb, to an awesome one of college kids in a rich suburb (not inferring that poor people suck, it's just that school is notorious for being snobby).

The reason I liked the second is they were happy just to have me in the room and say what I have to say regardless of joining... sometimes you just have to think some poo poo outloud in front of a group of sympathetic people.

I totally get what you said about the red flag of rejecting "normals" thing... I doubt a cancer survivor group would give a poo poo if a friend of a suffering patient came in, vs the actual patient. Plus if it's anon that's an arbitrary rule to make, because not all people have been properly diagnosed and might be in a grey area.

The worst part is, I'd want to start a group if I can't find something that fits, but knowing myself it'll be one more 10% finished project and piss me off.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

I wish I was abused more as a child...

I know all that healthy screaming and blame made me the proud adult I am today.

I think our troll is just jealous of :catdrugs:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Pick one that has been able to keep a practice going more than 7 years. You can't run a sustainable practice if you aren't actually helping people. Can you afford a life coach? If I could I would.

This is in no way directed at you, totally at myself, but I've been saying the "can't afford" line for awhile and I've been wondering if I need to take the tact I use to buy a new _____ for a bike. If I really want it I ask "How many beers or nights out would it take to get this?"

I'm starting to realize my mental health is worth the same cutting back! :v:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I'm incredibly tired, I can't focus, I have a shitload to do this week, I have an assignment due monday, and an exam on monday too. If I don't get my poo poo tomorrow I'm going to have a bad time.

Can you ask for an extension on the assignment at least? Is it for school or work?

You don't have to go into details with whomever but just say "there is a medical issue that is making it difficult to complete this on time".

Which brings up the point: How many of you have had your ADD documented either at school or work? I know it falls under Americans w/ Disabilities Act, so at least there's that. It'd be a sticky case to argue a slip in productivity due to something like this, but it would give a tiny layer of protection from being arbitrarily fired.

Right now I'm an ind. contractor but if and when I get hired as a salaried teacher I will probably get ADD documented and report it to HR and my direct superior (to the degree they need to know about it) to get some accommodations (like recording the audio of a meeting on laptop, copy of the power point, etc).

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

It's for school. Work is easy, all i gotta do is show up and then show up my coworkers. My job isn't hard, at least not to me. School requires me to schedule time to work for myself, which is the hardest thing to do. Once I get started it's still easy, i just never start. The bigger problem i actually have for school is that my eyes are highly contrast sensitive, and reading for extended periods of time or with small fonts on high contrast paper is loving impossible.

Decent access to a photocopier at school or work? If it's less than 10 pages of reading, maybe blow it up huge on the photocopier?

With school stuff, please just check in with a Prof. If you do it before the crisis and say "Hey, I work hard, but I just need a little help here because I want to do well in your class" most will find some sort of middle ground and help you out. They WANT you to do well in their class! I know, this came as a shock to me after all the rear end in a top hat teachers I had in HS.

Again, you don't have to disclose everything, but in the end, the worst they can say is "no" to any accommodation and then you're back to where you were now, so no new loss.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Again, presuming US, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires accommodations be made. They don't have to be the specific accommodations you want, but they have to be reasonable.

Does that apply to college though?

I thought it was just the workplace for ADA, and IDE(i)A would be for public schools till 12th, and private.... their discretion??

edit-

Sub Rosa posted:

Actually, I'm coming to terms with the notion that I am more disabled than I ever wanted to admit. I think tomorrow I'm going to tell my Therapist that I want to start moving forward on SSI. As mentioned before I have comorbidities and not just ADHD, but does anyone have experience in trying get SSI for mental disability? It's feeling like yet another one of those things that would have been easier and should have been done when I was a kid.

I would never tell anyone what direction to take or fault them for assistance, but aren't there like poo poo tons of working restrictions if you do SSI? I just know a friend who went down that path, he was functional, but the all the parameters of the "system" kind of forced him to become dependent on it and have a sort of "victimized" and resigned attitude.

Obviously, this is one person, and anecdotal, but I would look into that quite a bit. It seems like it's not the path for folk who are doing well who just need more of an assist.

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 25, 2012

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
All power to ya. Again, I hope it didn't come off as wanting to poo poo something you've obviously though a lot about and are quite knowledgeable on. Just a concerned stranger on the net. :keke:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

At this point I'm having to accept that I need to drastically reign in what are meaningful lifetime goals. Like just being able to sustainably manage to live independently.
Right on board with you there. But you konw, I think the biggest growth I've had as an adult is saying "ok, fine, I can't be a rock star/astronaut/etc... what can I do that makes me happy and contributes to the grand scheme?" No that I' giving up on certain dreams, just working on a similar (and perhaps more practical) track and knowing if it's meant to be, it'll happen.

-----
So yesterday I got to see a former classmate/colleague speak about teaching in another country and in inner-city Philly (both things I want/am going to do). And she started with "soooo, I have ADD and this might jump around a bit"... and it DID, but she would just ask someone else.. "So where was I? Oh yes, the student who got naked during a clap along..."

Afterwards a different gal came up and started asking her about ADD coping skills and teaching, and so the 3 of us had a little pow wow. I've always known her to be spinning a mile a minute and sometimes smile and nod and then ask you to repeat yourself... It was so great to hear someone just flat out say it and then be their drat awesome self and not care if they've talked six ways to Sunday to get to their point. :wotwot:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

When you forgot how to divide, it's kinda embarrasing trying to find the sine of an angle.
Holy Shitsnacks I've got you beat if you want to feel better about forgetting how to divide. Yesterday after that "lecture"/meeting I stood next to a friend of 3 years and whom I've had several classes, and played music with and couldn't remember her name.... I mean, I'm bad with names but this was different. Just a void where I know her, her name is ______ uh... oh gently caress.

So I was like "yeah dude/hun/other colloquialism, totally agree with ya" and other masking techniques till I practically yelled out "You're name is KAYLA!" like the goddamn Rainman.:bravo:

Had the other friend not been talking about her ADD openly I would have freaked out and had an anxiety attack to boot, but I just kind of relaxed and said "this too shall pass"... and it did.

Her name is Kayla. :rolleyes:

TheBigBad posted:

You can be a rock star. You can't be an Air Force Pilot, but you can be a rockstar.

gently caress that noize anyhow (Air Force).

And yet they somehow let GW Bush fly a jet fighter. :mad:

and run a country

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Phyzzle posted:

He also said that catdrugs are not that effective for procrastination and disorganization. They simply prevent "derailment" when you're already paying attention to something.

On the "derailed" metaphor I like to think of organization and good habits as the engine, and no matter how great it is, if you have lovely tracks, you're not going anywhere. Catdrugs are the what fix the tracks. Conversely, if you have the tracks lined up, but no engine pushing, you're not going anywhere either.

This has been a terrible train analogy.:toot:

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I dunno if anyone else has problems obsessing over projects but I just tried to manage a home theater PC and have been tormented by the fact that there is no one-box solution yet. Like it's killing me and I can't stop thinking about it.

I intentionally bought a bike that is considered a "do anything bike" meaning it's a mountain bike that can be set up to tour, do fixed or single speed, internal 3 speed hub or 1o gears with a triple up front(making 30 gears).... and now I want it to be all those things so I am just going to end up buying each eventually anyhow. And let's not even talk about what kind of bars or tires to run... ahhhhhh!:supaburn:
:ughh:

HondaCivet posted:

However ADHD symptoms are generally harder to control and deal with if you aren't feeling great so you're better off eating right.
I have hypoglycemia and so I get brain fog, and totally indecisive if I don't eat well (which I hardly ever do) which include quantity and eating a bit all day instead of one huge meal, even if that meal is all raw foods or whatever.

I all too often slip into a pattern of "eat like poo poo, get inattentive and don't plan ahead, then super rushed so I have to eat like poo poo", etc. Boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

prefect posted:

It might be ADD-related -- I have the same problem, getting super-focused on something and then spending all my time thinking about it. It can last months. :shrug:

Dude, a friend fell into some land and I might get to live out one of my dreams of building some sort of cabin with him. I have read books and stared at websites for years now culminating in: "School work? Job? Life? What the hell is that?" I can't focus at ALL since I found out that we might be building... stupid hyper focus is as bad as no focus.