Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I have a Brother HL-4040CDN and I find it a worth successor to the old Hewlett/Packard battleships of yore; with its enclosed paper tray (this is a must, otherwise you will have dust/cigarette ashes/whatever getting into your paper path and making you sad), duplexing, and full display. It's a beast, and I got it on sale for $250. About the only bad thing I have to say is it has no centronix connector so I had to use up a USB port for it. I have had good luck with Brothers of all sizes and wouldn't suggest anything besides one of these, or, if you only need B&W, a secondhand HP II/III/IV, or anything based on it (DECLasers are nice if you can find them). Okidata makes a quality machine as well, in my experience, but they can be hard to find. They have some nice features that make them attractive for commercial use, but will do just fine in a home environment.

To recondition the rubber rollers in office machines, use stuff called "Goof Off", it comes in metal cans, you want the industrial strenght. It is much cheaper than roller reconditioner and works nearly as well. Do not use rubbing alcohol (or any sort of alcohol) to clean them, it will only make the problem worse in the long run. If a roller has "flat-spotted" from sitting too long without the machine being used (common on older printers and really old stuff like IBM card handlers, paper tape readers, etc), if they can be dismounted they can be boiled to return their shape.

If all you need is volume, impact is still the way to go. I believe Epson and Okidata still make dot matrix impact printers with modern stuff like USB interfaces and cut-sheet feeders; they are somewhat pricey but work out in the end. Since modern lasers are so cheap, though, you probably won't need one of these unless you need to print stupidly long things or lots and lots of things.

Also, gently caress ink jets. In my mind they fall into the same category as impact printers -esoteric pieces of tech that almost noboy needs. The thing is, if you leave an impact printer alone for six months it will still print. If you leave an inkjet alone for six months and don't print to it, it will at least need new cartridges, it may very well be proper hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread