Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some games require you to run it online once. Dishonored 2 for example. Then you can use it offline from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks everyone, lots of great options there. I'm planning to get everything loaded up and patched before I take the machine offline. Buddy is hoping to get net access soon, so should be good to go until then.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

xarph posted:

So, Dwarf Fortress Legends mode scratched an itch and I'm looking for something that has more of a game surrounding it. Sid Meier's Covert Action had a fundamental gameplay loop where you had to evaluate intelligence to reverse engineer what terrorists were planning before they did it.

There are games like Orwell and Mainlining and Hacknet that come close, but they're either too hand holdy as glorified adventure games, or the fundamental part I enjoy is buried behind a completely different genre.

Before I start writing my own damned espionage analyst simulator, has this been covered by a modern game?

I’m on a phone at the moment and can’t search for it, but there is a Czech game that I saw mentioned in the Flare Path section of RPS that has you interviewing old people about crimes that happened within your own family, researching documents and so forth. It appeared to be more involved than the usual adventure game. Sorry can’t be more specific at the moment.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been less in the mood to play big commitment open world action adventure games that seems to be the norm and I'm getting more in to roguelikes. What stands out in the genre?

fwiw I like Dream Quest and FTL more than Dungeons of Dredmor or TOME4. The later just throws too much equipment and stats at you and my eyes glaze over because it all becomes samey to me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

chairface posted:

Rogue Legacy

All offline/kid friendly.

I do not agree with this. Besides being a rather violent game, one of the unlockable upgrades is "Beastiality" which lets you get dragon traits sometimes in new characters. Explain THAT to your kids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can also sidestep Steam entirely by getting your games on GoG. Then you download the whole things and can play them DRM free. Also gog puts more effort into making sure games will work for your computer so there'll be less tech issues.

You only really lose out on a couple of Steam's big sales and some games that only put their digital release on Steam.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've been less in the mood to play big commitment open world action adventure games that seems to be the norm and I'm getting more in to roguelikes. What stands out in the genre?

fwiw I like Dream Quest and FTL more than Dungeons of Dredmor or TOME4. The later just throws too much equipment and stats at you and my eyes glaze over because it all becomes samey to me.

Roguelikes fall into two general lineages; they're not completely separate by any means, but there are still two pretty distinct schools of thought.

One is the Nethack / ADOM side of the genre which greatly emphasize knowledge of game mechanics; in their pure form these are almost puzzle games. On the one hand this can be incredibly cool; the moment when you realize you can do something crazy like polymorph yourself into a basilisk to turn enemies to stone or build a wish engine is great, but on the other hand, if you want to get good at these games in a realistic timeframe you're going to want to play with a wiki open at all times.

On the other hand you have your Angband (and by extension ToME) / Dungeon Crawl sort of games which are much more about positioning, ability use, risk management, etc. They either don't have incredibly complex systems of object interactions like Nethack or ADOM do, or at the very least, they're more discoverable.

Most roguelikes, and especially modern ones, fall somewhere between the two. For example Caves of Qud is structured very much like ADOM (overworld map, main quest, explorable dungeons, certain rewards only apply below a certain level) and allows you a lot of freedom to mess with broken subsystems, but it also has more robust tactical combat than a lot of the old-school games do plus it's just straight-up not hard enough to require the same level of ingenious bullshit. (Although it helps.)

Anyways, really good roguelikes include:
  • DoomRL (Doom, the Roguelike; traversing the game is a one-way trip, enemies do not respawn except on the final super-hard difficulty, itemization is relatively simple, great sound engineering, extremely clever movement, line of sight, and dodging mechanics for a turn-based game)

• Caves of Qud (already mentioned, but in addition to what I said it has extremely good level design)

• Sil (one of the best Angband variants, again relatively simple loot, stealth is extremely viable, interesting context-based combat)

• Cogmind (Disclaimer: I personally do not like this game, because I hate item destruction and high-variance combat, but it has those things for a reason and is designed with them in mind. You play a robot that can rebuild itself from parts of other robots and has to escape a compound; those parts can also be destroyed by wear and tear.)

e: Except for Qud (sort of) these are all much closer to the Angband / Crawl side of the genre; not a lot of people go in for the kind of deliberate obtuseness that characterized the classic roguelikes, in part because those games came from an era before widespread internet guides, with the idea that you would solve them as a community (in person, or with a relatively close-knit usenet group, or whatever -- but not with everyone on Earth in a completely impersonal way.)

That said, ADOM is still being actively developed, and technically so is Nethack although Nethack releases are often, like, decades apart.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 14, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can also sidestep Steam entirely by getting your games on GoG. Then you download the whole things and can play them DRM free. Also gog puts more effort into making sure games will work for your computer so there'll be less tech issues.

You only really lose out on a couple of Steam's big sales and some games that only put their digital release on Steam.

You also lose out on patching especially patches that drop on Steam you usually have to wait for on GoG. You need the GoG client to patch automatically as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Crypt of the NecroDancer is probably the ne plus ultra of streamlined roguelikes. I'm honestly surprised that Tuxedo Catfish didn't mention it, but perhaps they're biased against realtime (or, well, rhythm-based) games.

On the roguelite side of things, which is to say short procgen games that aren't necessarily RPG dungeon-crawlers, there's:
  • Nuclear Throne: a nonstop haze of post-apocalyptic violence.
  • Cryptark: a twin-stick shooter about piloting a mech through ancient derelict alien ships.
  • Catacomb Kids: basically NetHack if it were a 2D platformer. Except that the mechanics aren't as obtuse nor do you have to know the obscure tricks to succeed.
  • Teleglitch: top-down survival horror (zombie-infested sci-fi facility style). The low-fi graphics are a minus IMO, mostly in that they make it hard to differentiate the basic melee enemies from the guards with guns that will kill you dead in no time flat. But once you get that sorted out, it's very well-designed and has the only crafting system in a game that I've ever actually enjoyed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Necrodancer is awesome, I just forgot about it because I got Cadence and Melody wins, tried Aria, and went "oh hell no" and basically haven't thought about the game since.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks to both of you. I'll try a few out and see what sticks

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Check out goon-made Tangledeep. Also check out Dungeonmans. Both are excellent.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Card Quest and Slay the Spire are different takes on the Dream Quest formula and are both quite good in their own way. Card Quest is a bit harder to get into, since all 4 classes barely function til you get some equipment unlocks.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 14, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Enter the Gungeon, Wizard of Legend.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

I’m on a phone at the moment and can’t search for it, but there is a Czech game that I saw mentioned in the Flare Path section of RPS that has you interviewing old people about crimes that happened within your own family, researching documents and so forth. It appeared to be more involved than the usual adventure game. Sorry can’t be more specific at the moment.

Quoting myself here on a PC, the game is http://attentat1942.com/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There's a roguelikes thread here. The OP is good, but you can also just start reading on any page and find a ton of games you've never heard of.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Been rewatching robotwars recently so I'm looking for one of those multiplayer games where you can build your own vehicles/robots where melee is at least somewhat viable, and isn't too p2w.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nalesh posted:

Been rewatching robotwars recently so I'm looking for one of those multiplayer games where you can build your own vehicles/robots where melee is at least somewhat viable, and isn't too p2w.

Robot Arena 3 should have been exactly what you're looking for but they hosed it up. Might be worth checking out but not at full price.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

doctorfrog posted:

Looks like Attendat 1942. Will try it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

UnReal World, roguelike realistic survival game in iron age Finland. No stats at all beyond your own skills (0-100%) and stats, just makeshift clubs, starvation, stabbing people in the face and being mauled by bears.

It's on Steam for :10bux: or even literally free from the developer's own website, so give it a try! Graphics are a little rudimentary and the game is basically keyboard-only, if you don't mind these two sticking points I guarantee you'll have some fun for the princely sum of 0$.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 19, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

No stats at all beyond your own skills (0-100%) and stats

I'm sure you meant something by this, but it reads like a self-contradicting statement.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm sure you meant something by this, but it reads like a self-contradicting statement.

It makes sense in context: "the player has mutable stats, items don't."

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I mean RoboCraft is still around and after getting really bad is getting good again.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It makes sense in context: "the player has mutable stats, items don't."

yeah basically this, sorry posted in a hurry :) you have stats and skills, but after rolling your character, you won't have to keep track of anything since there is no stat-improving equipment, no stats on actual equipment (not even damage or anything, just quality from awful to exquisite but you won't even know what that means exactly!), and skills only go up with use and pretty rarely, at that

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is the gold standard for Rougelikes as far as Im concerned.
If you want something lighter I recommend Dungeonmans.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I've always been partial to Brogue, it's a shining star of the genre but remains pretty approachable.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Roguelikes are my favorite genre!

I would give the following games an easy A:

pre:
Invisible, Inc
DoomRL (free!)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (free!)
Nuclear Throne

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

This might be a strange request?

I'm looking for some sort of collect-a-thon / grind type thing that I can progress by paying virtually no attention at all to it. Something to tend to while watching streams. Pokemon would be ideal for this as it's rather brainless (but fun) but it needs to be on PC.

Pre-requisites:
- mouse only / 1-handed / turn-based
- ability to leave it for months and come back and easily jump back in.
- no real "story" or anything you need to pay attention to

A clicker/idler would be OK, but it has to have an ending. An MMO might work but you often have to pay attention - at least for the combat - and 1) none of them have really grabbed me and, 2) they're m/kb so again a little more involved than I want.
Slime rancher is cool but again even that is a little more involved.
Something like a puzzle game would be OK too but I'm more interested in collecting/growing.

e: Are there any good fishing games/simulators with progression?
e2: Viscera Cleanup and Car Mechanic Simulator might fit.

Path Of Exile is working well for this.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey I'm back for more game suggestions!

I'm feeling like playing a western RPG and I already tried PoE 2 and D:OS 2, but while they have their merits (especially the combat in D:OS2 - I love turn based and the environmental interactions!), they really drag me down with all the strange stories and worldbuilding that I, honestly, don't care that much about - I'm looking for something more in the vein of Skyrim / Neverwinter Nights where I'm already familiar with the lore and mechanics, and possibly that aren't huge gigantic walls of text since I don't have THAT much time to play games anymore. Also I like the PnP "feeling" and immersion.

Skyrim was pretty much perfect: we all know the Elder Scrolls universe by now, the story is entirely skippable, and you have that nice feeling of exploring and organically growing strong all the time but without having to put all your effort and attention to it (rather than something like D:OS2 where it seems that to get a single new skill you have to spend 50% or more of your gold)

Neverwinter nights 2 was less freeform but still had recognizable mechanics and lore, and the story ranged from "who cares just kill mobs" of the original game, to the "whoa that's quite a cool turn of events" of MotB, to the "go nuts in the open world" of SoZ. Liked it a lot too.

I'm reading conflicting statements on Pathfinder: Kingmaker, where some say it's too buggy and difficult (big no no for me, treat me as a filthy casual since that's what I am nowadays), some say it's been patched and is now reasonable, etc ... but it looks like the kind of immersive, PnP-like game I'd enjoy, even if just at the lowest difficulty level. Any inputs? Or any other recommendations?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

I'm feeling like playing a western RPG and I already tried PoE 2 and D:OS 2, but while they have their merits (especially the combat in D:OS2 - I love turn based and the environmental interactions!), they really drag me down with all the strange stories and worldbuilding that I, honestly, don't care that much about - I'm looking for something more in the vein of Skyrim / Neverwinter Nights where I'm already familiar with the lore and mechanics, and possibly that aren't huge gigantic walls of text since I don't have THAT much time to play games anymore. Also I like the PnP "feeling" and immersion.

Skyrim was pretty much perfect: we all know the Elder Scrolls universe by now, the story is entirely skippable, and you have that nice feeling of exploring and organically growing strong all the time but without having to put all your effort and attention to it (rather than something like D:OS2 where it seems that to get a single new skill you have to spend 50% or more of your gold)

Neverwinter nights 2 was less freeform but still had recognizable mechanics and lore, and the story ranged from "who cares just kill mobs" of the original game, to the "whoa that's quite a cool turn of events" of MotB, to the "go nuts in the open world" of SoZ. Liked it a lot too.

I'm reading conflicting statements on Pathfinder: Kingmaker, where some say it's too buggy and difficult (big no no for me, treat me as a filthy casual since that's what I am nowadays), some say it's been patched and is now reasonable, etc ... but it looks like the kind of immersive, PnP-like game I'd enjoy, even if just at the lowest difficulty level. Any inputs? Or any other recommendations?

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
Assassin's Creed: Origins

if "familiar" is more important than "good" then Dragon Age: Origins

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 22, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Really Pants posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
Assassin's Creed: Origins

if "familiar" is more important than "good" then Dragon Age: Origins

AC: Origins is not what I'd define an RPG, and I already have it (and it suffers from too much exposition and forced story, I don't care about the personal struggles of every last guy in Egypt drat it)

Masquerada: I'll look into it but it kind of seems too jrpg-ish and linear rather than the good old western PnP-derived stuff where you have plenty of freedom

Dragon Age: Origins I already played it a lot, and liked it quite a bit even if it felt "incomplete", now that I think about it. I remember trying the sequel and being horribly disappointed though...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A PnP CRPG with less story would probably have to be something older, like the Gothic series or Icewind Dale.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

TorakFade posted:

If you don't mind old stuff, the Ultima Underworld series and the original System Shock are immersive first-person role playing games (with the latter being one of the best direct precursors to the RPG/FPS hybrid genre), and Arx Fatalis is a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld that fulfills the spirit of the series quite well.

What's common between all these games and makes them stand out even today is how much effort went into creating a cohesive environment, with physical conditions, politics, etc., that feel more local and personal than today's open world fare. Ultima Underworld also fulfills one of your conditions in being side stories based around the existing Ultima universe.

Underworld Ascendant is coming out soon and claims to be a successor, but I have no clue how good it is/will be.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TorakFade posted:

It's getting patched every other day it seems, but I'd still hold off if I were you. It doesn't explain stuff super well in places and has lots of dialogue. You can set the difficulty to easy if you wanted to just be able to pick a class and roll over stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm wondering if there are any modern games like World of Xeen? As in, a turn-based dungeon crawling RPG with multiple towns and quests and a fully fleshed out world with cool dungeons and puzzles and whatnot. The Etrian Odyssey games are close but lack that open world feel(also not really puzzley). I tried Wizardry 8 but it's mostly just walking around and fighting things, with half the zones being boring outdoor areas. The balance is pretty awful in Wiz8 too, with crowd control abilities being so overpowered and enemy casters being too fast to counter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Spiderweb Software does oldschool CRPGs in a similar vein. They use a top-down / isometric perspective rather than first-person, but they're open-world town-and-dungeon games composed primarily of exploration and sidequests that gradually give you the experience, gear, and clues you need to solve the main quests. If this sounds like your bag, then I'd suggest starting with Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which is a remake of a remake of their first game. Which, in fairness, came out more than 20 years ago. The remakes rewrite and flesh out basically the entire game, as well as redo the mechanics, so it's not like you're looking at 90's jank here.

That said, their games are really light on puzzles.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

McFrugal posted:

I'm wondering if there are any modern games like World of Xeen? As in, a turn-based dungeon crawling RPG with multiple towns and quests and a fully fleshed out world with cool dungeons and puzzles and whatnot. The Etrian Odyssey games are close but lack that open world feel(also not really puzzley). I tried Wizardry 8 but it's mostly just walking around and fighting things, with half the zones being boring outdoor areas. The balance is pretty awful in Wiz8 too, with crowd control abilities being so overpowered and enemy casters being too fast to counter.

The Eschalon series ticks the boxes of turn-based, not super linear, and lots of walking around and stuff to do. It is dissimilar to M&M in that you're just a single character, and it would depend on your definition of puzzles as to whether Eschalon has them.

There are also a lot of "real-time with pause" RPGs that would fit your list. For example, Pillars of Eternity has really fine-grained controls for this where you can make combat almost totally turn-based if you want.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey dudes any good real time strategies out there with a story? I just got around to playing 8 Bit Armies and I really love it except there's no story and it's just a bunch of goofy poo poo. It plays well, and I imagine multiplayer must be fun, but it's not what I'm looking for. I've already played through Starcraft II and probably every real time strategy came predated it. I want to get into the latest Command and Conquer games but it's locked at 30 framed per second and I just can't goddamn endure that in a real time strategy. I don't know why. It makes me motion sick.

Also still seeking vehicular combat recommends :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

Hey dudes any good real time strategies out there with a story? I just got around to playing 8 Bit Armies and I really love it except there's no story and it's just a bunch of goofy poo poo. It plays well, and I imagine multiplayer must be fun, but it's not what I'm looking for. I've already played through Starcraft II and probably every real time strategy came predated it. I want to get into the latest Command and Conquer games but it's locked at 30 framed per second and I just can't goddamn endure that in a real time strategy. I don't know why. It makes me motion sick.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Warhammer: Dawn of War II
Homeworld
Darwinia
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising (might also be decent for vehicle combat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

credburn posted:

Grey Goo was by Petroglyph (same as 8BA) and has the C&C style campaign for each faction I think.