Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to a MCIS reissue, especially if they have any material from the MCIS tour at its 30 minute Silverfuck jammy million tour date excessive peak. Even if it doesn't have Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It is officially ridiculous how much of that album was live band. Full alternative takes of these monstrous songs? Sure. Why not. Unless they're just the takes that they used to layer all the overdubs over. (I remember reading Billy saying that Where Boys Fear to Tread was a live take, sure that's a short simple song...)

But great to get another version of Cherry. Always thought that was probably one of the more erroneous omissions from MCIS.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

chime_on posted:

I've only ever had it on vinyl... are there any substantial differences to the mix?

I find the album really boring, so I haven't listened to it that much to put the stereo version on Spotify to compare.

I really enjoy the first half of the album, not so high on the second half. I love Ava Adore, Perfect, Daphne Descends, Tear and Pug.

I can appreciate the second half, but it's not my thing so much by that point.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 90% sure Stan Getz died in the 90s. Which means Zero is probably "haunted".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://archive.org/details/tsp1992-01-19.flac16

Here's what I've been listening to recently. It's a really poor quality board, but it's still fun hearing the band playing new material before recording Siamese Dream.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if I'll grab it, but I'm really interested to hear the Silverfuck, especially if it's one of those classic self indulgent 30minute ones, they're always fun.

But the DVD is exciting, I really enjoyed the stuff that surfaced from that tour.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the end of the MCIS tour in 97 was rad. That show on the DVD is actually a full show (well near enough, it's missing Zero) from the tour after, the '97 festival tour.

But I agree, they should have put one of the full late tour MCIS shows. Complete with 30 min Silverfuck.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only song that I remember hearing in the bootlegs that I really enjoyed that made the album was "Broken Heart"

Jesus remember Chrysanthemum ? God if only that made the album. Spilled Milk was pretty rad too. I enjoyed the Zwan album but it should have been so much more.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The question is, will the Machina release have a copy of the TV show on DVD? :lol:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But at least that is kicking around as an FM broadcast bootlet right?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, another copy of Here's to the Atom Bomb would be great when we get to it. I think I have it kicking around on "Judas O" or whatever that best of B-side thing was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

Judas O had the electric guitar/Try b-side version. For the longest time, though, I only had the version from the Friends And Enemies Of Modern Music bootleg, which is the Judas O version, but cut off by the end of the side of the tape. When I finally got a copy of Judas O last year, it was pretty revelatory.

That's the one, and I too only had the FAEOMM version that gets cut (until Judas O). Plus the Machina II stuff properly mastered and not copied from a vinyl edition will be great. So much music to look forward to!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just listened to the TAFH stuff. It sounds pretty great what I've heard so far (Double Door stuff). I think Billy should probably take a leaf out of the Grateful Dead's book and not put these super box-sets on spotify, instead put a compilation up instead so people actually have a reason to buy the sets? Maybe just me though.

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

"Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old."

Greatest opening track / opening line combination I can think of.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has the End is the Beginning Is The End ever been available on a CD before apart from the OST for that horrible Batman film?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If Adore is five disks god knows how big Machina will be.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNi7im2i-Y0

Ever wondered why everyone else's mics were turned down low? Here's your answer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DominoDancing posted:

I don't think they sound any worse than Corgan's own squealing.

I don't like saying "Billy can't sing" because he quite clearly can sing, anyone can sing and has a great distinctive voice. HOWEVER, I think their voices don't blend well at all and it sounds better when Billy's voice has freedom to shriek wail and flutter in and out of tune.

And here is something I thought i'd never see in my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlAT5yvwBfU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkw7jJR2Wg

Arising! Soundboard. Totally didn't know it existed! I had the 8:30 club aud I think. :swoon:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This next number is called "Raistlin's Betrayal" Aaaaoowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ooooooowwwwwwwwwwww.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 20, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://pitchfork.com/news/54152-live-stream-billy-corgans-eight-hour-ambient-jam-inspired-by-siddhartha/

I don't know how long it has left but hey...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChesterJT posted:

It's got the whole thing archived on that link. It's kind of like something you'd see a homeless guy doing on the street, if he had thousands of dollars of electronics. It's just an audio book playing and every once in a while Billy stands up, turns a knob to make it sound funny in a different way, then sits down. Stands back up, turns different know, sits back down. Repeat for 9 hours. At one point Mike joined in with a guitar, played like 10 notes then disappeared.

I don't even know what the gently caress.

Mods rename thread "The Smashing Pumpkins - I don't even know what the gently caress"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Where Boys Fear to Tread is the whole band live I believe. I don't know why I remember that I think it was in an old Guitar Player or something.

I enjoyed Zwan it was just a bit of a shift from the Pumpkins. Like the vibe was so different. I guess when you looked at the lineup and heard the music it seemed like there was this dissonance. It was just jarring hearing him sing about Jesus or whatever. It actually reviewed really well, it just didn't sell.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey MCIS only exists because it was a "gently caress you you couldn't do this" to every other band at the time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4i_cu7GgCA

Butch Vig remembers it as Cherub Rock but I do remember Geek USA too. :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ie: "Of A Broken Heart" cos goddamn that was a great song.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Organs posted:

People thought Zeitgeist would have that early Pumpkins sound as well.

That breakdown in Tarantula is just like Silverfuck

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Hole reunite? At least she's still playing songs written by Billy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I forgot how amazing Transmission sounded.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDGkIk8A0Pw

Still my favorite pug version.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've always wanted to ask Matt Sweeney what happened in Zwan. He seems like a fairly affable guy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's always been hopeless at picking singles.

The most infamous example is trying to get Cherub Rock as the lead single instead of Today

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Well, to be fair, Cherub Rock is a much better song. And Rocket was a great pick for a single. And as goofy as Bullet and Zero were, they were released at a time when being a Smashing Pumpkins fan meant you wanted as much ridiculous, campy angst as possible, and those songs delivered on that hardcore.

No doubt, but Today was the hit single for the band. In the end.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My god, this was me.

Oh yeah, me too!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

baka kaba posted:

No, an understandable conceit, but the merry vacuousness of - yes! - generation Z, as in X, why, U... a lost generation like the generation lost to the past, of guitar heroes and sweeping grand soundescapes. So how? Now? (brown crow) Only this!

Also am I the only one who gets weirded out when Billy calls Jeff THE SHREDDER all the time? It feels like an awkward nickname that someone decides to use without caring if it makes the recipient uncomfortable. Like a boss calling an employee CALCULATOR BRAIN or something

Just start calling billy PISSANT or something.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Billy has never understood (at least, based on his blog posts and poo poo) that he was in a great band when the type of music he made was really hot. And now it isn't. And that's why he's super popular. It's not because he's literally a loving genius but because he was around at the right time. And now he isn't.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah a bunch of worlds are auto filtered, you can quote the post and see what they are.

hth.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

Also, I personally love Heavy Metal Machine and Glass and the Ghost Children and as a random guy on the internet I feel Billy should take my advice.

I really like that other Glass song "I'll be by the pool, playing with my guns" one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I was listening to Superwolf earlier and it reminded me that Zwan existed ahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLPgz9K4D20

aahahah

I like Zwan :negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gm Place from 97 obviously because it captures the full loving excessive self indulgence of late mcis tour.

Their show before last in 2000 at the united center was really good with a great example of a brutally heavy ava adore.

Those are the two off the top of my head.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was a wave of old bands reuniting, Dino Jr and Soundgarden being the obvious grunge parallels.

But the fact is the pumpkins hating each other means they never did and them finally reuniting would hold genuine interest for a lot of people because it wasnt just well the royalties are drying up maybe we should play some shows like what happened when everyone else got back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry for the double post, but whatever, no one posts here that much anymore:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/billy-corgan-named-president-of-tna-and-impact-wrestling-company/

William is now president of the TNA and Impact Wrestling company. I don't know anything about wrestling, what company is what, what TNA is, or what any of this means.

It means Billy makes terrible life choices.

• Locked thread