Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I can't even imagine being a 19-22 year old man and being around Billy Corgan for any length of time. That's so much weirder and worse than hanging out with "That Professor" who goes to bars with students all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Platypus Farm posted:

I can't even imagine being a 19-22 year old man and being around Billy Corgan for any length of time. That's so much weirder and worse than hanging out with "That Professor" who goes to bars with students all the time.

Billy Corgan could probably kick it, at least a little bit. Although I agree that it would get weird.

I've noticed recently that a lot of people who enjoy Pumpkins also dig bands like Pavement, and I know this seems obvious but I didn't even know they toured together until recently.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

, is Mike out of the band or just not drumming on the record? Billy could just be fuckin around getting "samples" for the production. I was excited about this album before, now I'm dubious. Don't gently caress it up Billy!
I think the "band" is just Billy and Jeff right now. Jeff is the only other person Billy's mentioned in the studio blog (besides producers and now Tommy Lee), I've been hearing Mike was out for weeks already, and Nicole is doing her Cold & Lovely thing (their tour ads even refer to her as "formerly of Smashing Pumpkins").

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm glad at least Jeff is sticking around. He's a solid guitarist. Mike was a pretty good drummer, but I always thought Song For A Son suffered for its lack of Jimmy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jeff will be buried with Billy (as per Billy's wishes)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Billy Corgan being Billy Corgan and explaining how Tommy Lee came to be in the band:

Billy Corgan posted:

The notion to reach out to T Lee came from The Shredder, who in hearing me say ‘we really need to get someone like Tommy to play on this song’ said, “well, why don’t we reach out to him?” And let me tell you something: I’ve had the fortune of being in the room with some of the all-time greats, and when you’re that close to someone who is the best at what they do you gain insight into the way they are able to communicate to so many. Let’s call it a universal language (which music is, obviously), and in applying it with heart/soul they present intangibles that give dimension and depth to a composition which otherwise would not be as kaleidoscopic.

So on flying out a few weeks ago I presented T Lee with the idea, played him all the songs that I’d worked hard to finish, and discussed the way we’d be most comfortable finding common ground in the studio. Which explains the rush to prepare the arrangements for him to drum on, and also our keeping the work under wraps; so that nothing and nobody could influence the process.

I’m also happy to report that not only did we have a blast, but the 9 ‘MONUMENTS’ songs sound epic in a way that is indescribable. I guess I could toss off hyperbole after pronoun, but it would sell short what I like to call ‘Supersonic Pumpkins’; which is a descriptor in itself. Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement. The only other place I’ve heard this phenomena is with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin: where heavy drums can sound soft and expressive. Good company indeed!

As for the connection, I first met Tommy way back in 1991 when he came to one of our shows, and through the years we’ve run into each other many times at various places. So the coupling is not as odd as some might assume, as he, like I, has pushed into embracing new technologies, electronics, etc where it pertains to making new sounds. He is a wonderful, warm person to be around, and I wouldn’t have come to him with this proposition if I didn’t trust that this was something we’d both be proud of. So we expect to finish up the drums in a few weeks, seeing as we’re in a rush to get this stuff out and oh yeah, Tommy’s got this mega-Crue tour to do.

Let me also add on a personal and public level that I’m truly excited, for there’s an excitement in the music that is vital and necessary; especially when you consider what’s dying on the vine out there. I believe this is soul music we’re making, and I’m proud of who I’m stuck in the foxhole with. Attack, attack, attack…

W.P.C.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So... Yeah, mike's out.

I miss Jimmy's sound.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I think the biggest reason I'm pissed is he made this whole stink about when Oceania came out that the band was in a good place. If he kept that lineup and kept putting out solid material then it would have totally been all for the "aht".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

At least now SP has someone else nearer to Billy's (or Jimmy's) age, I guess.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
We don't know why the drummer left or for what term too. I know that XTC's drummer left the band when they stopped touring because that's how he made his money. Sure, he would get paid to play on the studio albums, but that wasn't where he could make a living. Since the band isn't touring right now, and Billy has all the writing credits, and let's face it, they're never going to be the superstars they were right now, maybe he took an option that might suit him better.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Does this mean we'll get a drum kit that rises up into the air and spins around 360 style during the "Silverfuck" set closer?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Cemetry Gator posted:

We don't know why the drummer left or for what term too. I know that XTC's drummer left the band when they stopped touring because that's how he made his money. Sure, he would get paid to play on the studio albums, but that wasn't where he could make a living. Since the band isn't touring right now, and Billy has all the writing credits, and let's face it, they're never going to be the superstars they were right now, maybe he took an option that might suit him better.

He's also a really loving good drummer so I'm sure it wasn't hard for him to land something.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Are people sure Mike and Nicole are definitely gone? Because if Corgan's announcement pans out, there's two albums set for 2015 and Tommy Lee is only on one of them.

However, I checked Mike's twitter and in February he was advertising drum lessons, so I dunno. I'm gonna wait and see.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Are people sure Mike and Nicole are definitely gone? Because if Corgan's announcement pans out, there's two albums set for 2015 and Tommy Lee is only on one of them.
Nothing's sure until Billy says it's so (and sometimes not even then), but the first of the two albums is in the studio-rough-recording phase, and he hasn't said anything about either of them being involved. Jeff, on the other hand, is apparently participating not just in the demo recording but in the songwriting as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#!I-FEEL-LOVE-DO-YOU-SP-ALBUM-UPDATE/c7ba/51FC8E2E-464E-43AD-8680-4B5E228113FD

Now I don't know what to think. Disco?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually laughed at that post. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Billy does actually know what people seem to think of him and he's taking it in stride. I'm reserving judgement until the album(s) are out. If they suck then I'll agree that Billy is trying to relive old dreams. If they're good though...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not surprised. Tommy Lee has never been above appropriating what's basically a dance groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hihge6FFVw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I could ask this in ML, but since everyone here is very familiar with the Pumpkins music, I'll ask here: Can anyone give me an idea on how to get a good 'Geek U.S.A.' tone from Amplitube 3? I've been trying a few different things, and I know that part of the equation is the guitar (I have a mexican Fender Strat) and the pickups, but there's gotta be something that can get me close. I'm listening to the song for the millionth time, and would kill to get that tone.

I'll need about a thousand overdubs, that's for sure.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I could ask this in ML, but since everyone here is very familiar with the Pumpkins music, I'll ask here: Can anyone give me an idea on how to get a good 'Geek U.S.A.' tone from Amplitube 3? I've been trying a few different things, and I know that part of the equation is the guitar (I have a mexican Fender Strat) and the pickups, but there's gotta be something that can get me close. I'm listening to the song for the millionth time, and would kill to get that tone.

I'll need about a thousand overdubs, that's for sure.

The brunt of a Siamese Dream-esqe tone is an Electro Harmonix Big Muff (NYC, not Russian) into an overdriven Marshall head. That's really the key, but I have no idea how to replicate that in Amplitube.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Noise Machine posted:

The brunt of a Siamese Dream-esqe tone is an Electro Harmonix Big Muff (NYC, not Russian) into an overdriven Marshall head. That's really the key, but I have no idea how to replicate that in Amplitube.

What this guy said. Also Billy was probably playing a Strat in that era so you've already got that down.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Strat, NYC Big Muff, Lace Sensor pick-ups (if you can swing it), Marshall JCM800 head & cab. On Billy's blog he shows you the settings he dialed into the Muff pedal too. If possible I believe he used to use a JMP-1/ADA pre-amp too. Dunno if they have that patch on Amplitube.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

If you've got the time and want to dig through here, you may find some worthwhile info: http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.html

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://loudwire.com/tommy-lee-motley-crue-new-song-dirt-movie-smashing-pumpkins/

So I guess Tommy Lee is raving about the new songs. He loves them, for whatever that's worth. He claims they sound like old Pumpkins songs.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

http://loudwire.com/tommy-lee-motley-crue-new-song-dirt-movie-smashing-pumpkins/

So I guess Tommy Lee is raving about the new songs. He loves them, for whatever that's worth. He claims they sound like old Pumpkins songs.

"GET GET...GET NAKED!"

Not trusting it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah, fifteen years ago he and Vince Neil tried to make an album that sounded like old Mötley Crüe songs, and ended up with Generation Swine :downs:

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
If you've ever read The Dirt you know Tommy Lee has a habit of being overly excited about pretty much anything. Don't trust him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For me, it's more the specific hype he had, about the early Pumpkins sound. Of course someone currently working on a commercial and artistic endeavour will tell you it's awesome.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

People thought Zeitgeist would have that early Pumpkins sound as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Organs posted:

People thought Zeitgeist would have that early Pumpkins sound as well.

That breakdown in Tarantula is just like Silverfuck

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

For me, it's more the specific hype he had, about the early Pumpkins sound. Of course someone currently working on a commercial and artistic endeavour will tell you it's awesome.

It actually... well I mean if I were working on a long-term artistic project, whatever it was, I'd better be able to drum up some enthusiasm for it.

Of COURSE I don't take him at his word that we're going to get moleasskiss pt 2 or whatever on the album, but I'm glad he's excited. I can't imagine spending all that time on something and just being jaded and cynical about it from beginning to end.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Remember when the slow, soft Pumpkins tunes were actually slow and soft? That doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Those contrasted with stuff like Tales of a Scorched Earth/X.Y.U/An ode to no one was like like a macrocosm (is that a word?) for dynamics within a song.

Ear fatigue is a real thing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#!OFFICIAL-STORY-SP-ALBUM-UPDATE/c7ba/9CCDC222-8BE0-45AA-B8AF-0418D96B7A90

Well, Billy really seems to think he's digging back into the past SP sound as well. So, we'll see if they're all full of poo poo (probably) but I liked Oceania and if it's as good as that or better, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

For a second there I thought I was reading timecube.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Billy hasn't done anything worthwhile in over 15 years now guys. There's lots of actually good stuff to listen to out there.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LordPants posted:

That breakdown in Tarantula is just like Silverfuck

You mean Geek USA, because it's exactly like that (but not as good of course)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

On Palladia, they have been showing some live show which is fairly recent. Gotta love Billy rocking the gut and the plumber's crack just not giving a gently caress about anything.

He kinda reminds me of the comic book nerd from the Simpsons...except for the whole ponytail thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Best. Band. Evurrrrr.

I'd be cool with the new album filled with Glynis and Drown soundalikes. That'll never happen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Props on the font attempt! Are those actual conjoined cats, I can't tell from here.

I'm more interested in Billy's cats than Billy's music. Wait, does this mean the new songs sound like Bugg Superstar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Props on the font attempt! Are those actual conjoined cats, I can't tell from here.

I'm more interested in Billy's cats than Billy's music. Wait, does this mean the new songs sound like Bugg Superstar?

If billy corgan actually has conjoined twin cats he just went up about ten cool notches.

• Locked thread